Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
SadariEvenstar

Peppermint Cream Cupcake

Sweet red velvet cupcakes with thick peppermint cream frosting.

When this goes on it is a creamy peppermint over a rich chocolate base. As it dries the chocolate disappears and I am left with something indistinguishable from Mother Shub's Unmentionable Peppermint Creams. I like it, but I wish the chocolate would have stuck around.

Delicious! This one is all buttercreamy goodness with a peppermint kick. Soft, extremely foody (yet not cloying), this is just as delicious as I wanted it to be! I get more of a white cake note (a la Eat Me), rather than that rich cream cheese/cheesecake note (as with various Beaver Moon incarnations). Good throw, yet not overpowering. A true winner!!

In The Bottle: Okay, I really want to eat this. This is all buttercream, all the time. Ridiculous!

Wet On Skin: Mmmmmmm nomnomnom! The red velvet aspect comes out now, this is cake for sure, and there's that chocolate edge that red velvet in particular has. Now that the red velvet has showed itself, the buttercream has morphed into a cream cheese frosting. I die!

Dry Down: I can't even. This is just so damn good! This is a foodie-lover's paradise, this scent is. The mint scents, like Lick Me, always evaporate off my skin immediately. But this one is apparently in the right proportions and it's just making me smell like delicious chocolate cream peppermint cake.

In All: I am SO in love. :wub2:

Wet: Peppermint isn't as strong as Lick it. It's not a sharp peppermint at all. I smell cake, white cake.

Dry: I love foodie scents. I love them so much. But often cake one end up smelling like a candle on me. I like it, don't love it. We will see how it goes. Lots of these types smell best after an hour on me. I like that the peppermint is more subdued. I like a strong mint but this one smells more "edible".

After 1 hour: peppermint is all gone. Now it's a candle. Vanilla cupcake candle. Damn. I never got any chocolate at all? Which is weird.

Now all candle. No chocolate, no peppermint anymore.

I love food scents but I'm really starting to think foody perfumes don't work on my skin. most cake scents go candle on me so quick. I mean like blown out candles. Ughhhh!

I will edit this review after the oil has sat for a month if nothing has changed. Since it's straight from the package I'm wondering if it needs to mature some.

Edited by Allison93

Minty, boozy almost peppermint schnapps in the bottle. The mint isn't a sharp note, but rather delicate and sugared straight out the bottle. I'm still picking up yummy, creamy Kahlúa type note that I'm guessing is the RED part and very much like german chocolate or milky cocoa.

On the skin, the mint is soft and lovely, with the cake note amping up after a minute or two but without any of the buttery, cheesy part. HOLYSNOWBALLS this is GORGEOUS! I'm gonna douse myself in this bottle and call it Christmas! This is even better than MB Tokyo Stomp, Cake Smash, Sprinkle Cake for me. If you love sweet, sparkling frosting with a touch of sweet mint and a smash of sweet cake, YOU NEED THIS. So wearable, cozy, perfect, dizzy, THUD. :thud: I'm gonna need a couple backups (sigh), where's my list to Santa?

Edited by Jenjin

Red velvet is my favourite kind of cake, and I love peppermint. I like smelling like a delicious dessert because I can get away with it at work, and because the notes in foodies usually play nicely with my sensitive nose.

The only experience I previously had with the red velvet note was in my precious decant of Cake Smash, which smells just like the real thing and not just like chocolate. My only peppermint scent is Lick It Softly. I wasn't sure how much real red velvet scent I would get from this, given that it would be battling it out with peppermint for dominance, but I needed to try it and was confident enough to buy a bottle. After being lucky enough to get one bottle of the Chocolate Stout Cupcake scent last year before it sold out, I've decided that if there's a delicious-sounding dessert scent that I really want, I shouldn't wait on a decant.

When it's in the bottle, Peppermint Cream Cupcake smells identical to the real thing. Right now, in a bottle that's just under a week off the mail truck, the red velvet note isn't as strong on my skin as it is in Cake Smash. The peppermint is higher pitched than it is in Lick It Softly, but it doesn't stick around as long. After the mint fades, I'm left with a sweet but light skin scent. I'm hopeful that the red velvet will start to come out more with age, because I wore it last night and noticed that it's starting to smell more like the bottle when I wear it now.

It's great for work because people won't think it's perfume, but they'll probably want to know who has the mint candy. :)

This reminds me of My Little Grotesque but with peppermint instead of cardamom. It's nicely textured with slightly crumbly cake note, creamy, sweet, rich icing, and a breath of peppermint. It's a fun, uplifting blend, and while I don't wear mints, I would love to smell this in a diffuser.

Edited by lookingglass

I love anything peppermint...sadly, ALL the Lick It's I tried faded real fast. So, had to try this one...one last ditch effort to try something with peppermint!

In the bottle: Like mentioned, I get a creamy peppermint....very frosting-like. YUM!

On Skin: I get a peppermint buttercream scent. This is good... please last!!

Drydown: The peppermint fades.. a little, but at least it is still here. I get a peppermint cheesecake vibe, but that could be the red velvet as well. This wears close to the skin, but at least I still get peppermint and not left with just sugar as in the past!!! This is a great scent and hoping it will get better with age....not that it isn't good NOW!!

Edit to add.... been a couple hours, and sadly, this is almost gone. I get a very faint whiff of it... but I have to have my nose ON my skin. I still love this... just wish these stuck around longer! :(

Edited by Numanoid

Delicious white cake (not sure I'd detect it as red velvet cake) smothered in rich peppermint cream frosting. The peppermint is soft and smooth; not sharp by any means. Delicious!

Oh man, I am SO let down. Where is the perfect Cake Smash cake note that doesn't go to plastic?! I had such high hopes. Sigh.

Bottle: minty sweet cake, mmmm

Wet: minty sweet cake, mmm

Dry: artificial plastic vanilla cake, no mint.

Later: plastic vanilla, then nothing.

Let me go sob into my pillow for a while. This was not the perfect foodie confection I was hoping for. Gonna have to splurge on some Cake Smash, I guess...

Yellow cake + that French Vanilla that threatens to go plastic + buttercream mints, like those candies they put out at weddings + cocoa, maybe?

The mint prevents the whole thing from going plastic on me. This doesn't have a great deal of throw but it still smells great. I happened to be making mint brownies today and this is not nearly as heavy on the cocoa, far more vanilla buttercream. But still delicious.

Origin: Decant circle by Trailer Trash Princess

Initial Thoughts: I generally don't go for foody scents, but the idea of sweet peppermint was worth a decant experiment.

In the Vial: More cake than peppermint, but the peppermint is there on the second inhale.

Wet: Sweet and cool mint, just sharp enough to clear my slightly stuffy nose a little. The cake is there, but just barely.

Drydown: My skin is hanging onto the mint so far. The cake note is getting a bit stronger, and tilting vanilla for me.

Verdict: Very like its inspiration. But I'm not sure I need a bottle given how many bottles of Lick It (the original) I have in my stash.

I really wanted to love this and I was hoping for peppermint cream all the way. I get a blast of peppermint cream on wet, and then the chocolate makes an appearance. Both of these fade and I'm left with a slightly minty, slightly chocolate vanilla. Heavily foodie. Medium throw and wear length.

RATS.

As a foody scent fan, this is one of the Yules I was most excited about. But I decided to get a decant first because peppermint doesn't always work well on me.

In the decant: Creamy mint and fudgy chocolate. Promising so far.

On my skin: This is smelling a lot like Thin Mints girl scout cookies right after I apply it. Peppermint on me can sometimes smell like toothpaste and it also sometimes has a strong cooling effect that I don't always want, so I'm a bit nervous about it here. After a few minutes, I don't think I'm really experiencing the cooling effect. If I am, it's very slight, and I barely notice it. With the sweet creamy mint, this is somewhat similar to how I remember Mother Shub's Unmentionable Peppermint Creams (though I haven't tested that in a while) but with chocolate instead of the marzipan. It's on the border of toothpaste mint, but not quite there; I think the scent is sweet enough to keep it out of toothpaste territory. The red velvet part of this scent is pretty minimal on me. I got a bit of it in the decant, and more when first applied, but that fades and once it starts to dry it's mostly sweet creamy mint. I was hoping for more cake and/or chocolate out of this scent.

Edited by sunlitgarden

Thank you to my decantress who included a tester of this with my decants!

Wet: Yummy, buttery mint and chocolate cake. You can clearly detect both the chocolate cake, and the mint buttercream. It makes we want to bake a batch of these and devour them. I am getting so hungry....the mint is REALLY strong and fresh, when you breath it in, it makes you feel cold. It's the strongest note on me, so far.

Dry: Wow, that mint is still going strong! It's the dominant note. I really like this scent, it's a lovely mix of mint (just a hint of buttercream, not overwhelmingly buttery or sweet) and cakey chocolate. I would actually really like it as a room scent, but I don't think I would personally wear it as perfume - it makes me too hungry!

I knew this one was going to be a longshot when I ordered a single imp from a decant circle, but figured it was worth a shot.

The result is that I actually like it a lot more than I thought I would, knowing that buttercream and mint -- two things I adore in "real life" -- both had a tendency to go wonky on me as BPAL notes.

In the imp: Some mint, but not in-your-face mint ... more of a hint of it. The creamy frosting was predominant in the imp, that mixture of sweet and salty but something in the sweetness that always has an ever-so-tiny "nuttiness" to me that doesn't work.

Applied lightly to wrist and to crook of arm.

Wet: Actually quite pleasant. Mint, which as I've said I absolutely adore in every form EXCEPT perfume where it goes badly aquatic/ozone on me, was probably the nicest mint I've worn. Light and sweet. I got ZERO chocolate. The buttercream, though, did what I have found ANYTHING with "cream" in the name does to me ... curdled right away. It just has a plastic-y smell on me that is not something I'd want to wear. It's not "OMG WASH THIS OFF" level, just ... oh well.

Drydown: The mint has disappeared from my wrist but is still nestled in the crook of my arm. Oddly, my wrist doesn't smell as good as the crook because of that. IN both cases, as I suspected, the buttercream frosting pushed everything else out of the way and on me it smells "off." I know this is totally my chemistry and not anything wrong with the scent. I just need to learn my lesson that my chem does not like this note. In the crook, the mint ever-so-slightly overrides it but I'm willing to guess on later drydown it would also lose out to the frosting.

Overall: I think this is probably a truly lovely scent, it just doesn't work for me and as a result is going into my "imp sales bag" which I'm putting together with all my goodies from my holiday-season perfume/body/bath product buying and will be moving along within the next few weeks.

Buttercream in the bottle. Goes on as cake with mint cream frosting. The "cake" note quickly disappears as it dries, which is good because it does nothing for me. This settles into the soft, round vanilla-touched mint of some of the gentler Lick Its. There's no burn, and it starts to fade quickly, like some of the Lick Its do. Considering I have five bottles of various Lick Its, I think I can pass on this. Mercy, I am so glad I was able to hold out and not blind-bottle.

Super minty with a cakey undertone. Like most vanilla on my skin it turns plastic. Not for me, but for those that can wear these notes it will be awesome (smells pretty darn good in the decant).

Vanilla mint is possibly my favorite combination of notes (tied with vanilla and patchouli) so I blind-bought a bottle of this, no-brainer. It's all mint mint mint in the bottle and once applied, it becomes a minty, slightly tangy cream cheese frosted cake. It's a delicate cake, not overpowering or play-doh or plastic. Mint is one of those notes that burns off quickly on me most of the time but this has serious staying power and lasts the entire drydown. I am soooo pleased! As it fades, the cake note drifts off somewhere and the minty vanilla frosting lasts a good while, though it sticks close to the skin at the end. Very glad I picked this up!

This smells just like the original Lick It, which I enjoyed. It's very sweet, slightly vanilla creamy, peppermint candy. I don't get anything that makes me think of cake or frosting from my bottle, though. It's a sweet peppermint candy cane scent.

I was really taken by surprise by this. The peppermint is pretty strong at first and had a slight cooling sensation when applied. Nothing burny or stingy on my sensitive skin, though!

Sometimes the lab's vanilla and cake notes go a bit plastic or waxy on me. This one did that immediately and stayed that way for about the first hour. It's not awful, it's just not what I'd like cake or vanilla to smell like.

The peppermint calmed down after it a few minutes but remained there.

This is very sweet, but not in a cloying or headachey way for me. After that first hour it mellowed out to something absolutely decadent. It was a foody delight! Super duper smooth and creamy dreamy. The vanilla and peppermint were at the front, but the cake note was in the back reminding you it was definitely a cupcake. I see the similarity to some of the Lick it perfumes but it does have a very obvious cake note. It was realistic enough to make me crave it!

What really got me was how long this lasted. I don't usually get a lot of wear time from these sort of scents and this not only powered through my work day with one application, I could still clearly smell it the next morning.

Amazing throw and wear time! Big winner for me!

Peppermint Cream Cupcake is mostly peppermint cream frosting on me, with just a bit of red velvet cupcake under it. The peppermint vanilla scent of the frosting stays true on me and I get more cake as it wears. I'm not sure red velvet and mint would be a combo I'd want to eat, but this smells great.

This is one of those wonderfully and mysteriously textural BPAL scents.

In the bottle, I get chilly vanilla peppermint icing, with the feeling of that very sweet icing with the fine fine grains of sugar suspended in the cream. Just a faint undertone of chocolate cake.

Wet on the wrist, the mint backs off, and I get moist chocolate cake. A delicate, not overwhelming smell of chocolate, but again, somehow wonderfully having the texture of cake.

Dry, this becomes first a cool powdered-sugar mint so powerful it clears my sinuses. Later, the mint fades back, and I'm left, unfortunately, with mild traces of that cream note that on some unlucky people (like me) smells plasticky.

I like the mint in this a lot -- I'll try aging it and see what happens. I am very fond of Mother Shub's Unmentionable Peppermint Creams, even though it has the same final effect on me. This is cooler and less vanilla-sweet than MSUPC -- there's a little distance in the scent, as though closely considering the idea of cupcakes at a thoughtful remove.

In the bottle: Creamy mint frosting and chocolate cupcake. It smells delicious!

Wet: I'm getting much more mint than cupcake. It's a lovely, sugary mint that's currently more mint than frosting on my skin. I'm not really getting any of the cake note.

Dry: During the wet phase, it was all sugary mint, which developed into a creamier frosting after some time. Hours later, I can smell the chocolate cake note on my skin, but by this point, the scent stays really close to the skin. The mint is still present, but it is very faint now.

Verdict: I am glad that I grabbed a bottle of this. I was hoping that it would be more sugary mint than chocolate cake on me, and it is! I just wish that it stuck around longer.

This smelled like dirty mint and dry chocolate to me. I didn't get any cream cheese heavy mintness, wish I did. And the staying power was sad too. Sadly I sold this one off. :(

Update 7/19/22- I got another bottle of this one because I regretted selling it. Luckily this time I get a nice delicious vanilla frosting with light mint. Not much red velvet. I’m really liking it now! Maybe my skin chemistry changed since having a baby. 😋

Edited by vanilla323