Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
mermaidsdream

Pognophobia

Fear of Beards

Definitely bad news if you live in Silverlake, Williamsburg, or the Mission. A tangle of patchouli, upcycled leather, artisanal honey, and a couple of oils youve probably never heard of.

First on this one? That's new!

In bottle: It's a lot of patchouli, very woodsy.

Applied, Wet: Very, very woodsy and almost all patchouli. I'm not getting much of the honey, but the leather is underneath trying to cut through the patch. It's almost a little tangy. It's not unpleasant, but it's not me.

This is definitely a more masculine scent, and I'll be honest, I bought it to try & be somewhat ironic - I work at a company filled with men & their hipster beards. I would *love* to smell it on one, in particular ...

Editing to add: Aaah ... there's the honey. It's finally come out of hiding, tempering everything else blending quite nicely. The drydown is really quite wonderful.

Edited by mermaidsdream

Wow, this is luscious! It's all rich, earthy patchouli, mellow leather and dark honey. I can't stop huffing my wrist. It gets even more delicious over time, with smoky, woody and vanilla nuances coming out. This is the best beard ever!

I find it amusing that I was so drawn to this scent, as I have been accused of having a thing for guys with beards...no pognophobia here! ;) However, I have been desperately searching for the perfect patchouli honey blend for my skin, that will be as good as Tricksy HG is in my hair (it doesn't work on my skin, sadly).

Wet: Hmmm. This is a drier, earthier patchouli note. Sweetened by honey, absolutely, but I can't really distinguish the honey note. I don't get any leather, which is unusual. Mostly all sweet patchouli. It's nice, but I want more honey.

Dry: Yes, dry indeed. Dry, earthy, dirty patchouli, with none of the honey I wanted. WHY??? I refuse to give up. I am going to let this age, and the patch mellow, and see what happens. *sulks*

Woodsy patchouli, blush of honey, and a melange of leather and other manly oils. Smells manly. And like the outside. And bearded.

Definitely for the men folk. Good throw and wear length.

I giggled when I saw the description and immediately knew I had to have it. My husband has the most glorious, well-kept beard I've ever seen, and I'd be lying if I said we didn't exhibit plenty of hipster tendencies. SO...

This is a really great blend. It's calm and quiet and earthy, but it gets sweeter the longer it stays on the skin. I get hints of Egyptian musk deep in the background, but mostly it's leather and patchouli and sweetness. It reminds me, conceptually, of a couple of hipster boutiques near where I live that sell overpriced succulents, party supplies made of kraft paper, vintage kitchenware, quirky stationery, minimalist geometric art prints, and (appropriately) beard oil. It's one of those shops encapsulated in a scent, and I love it.

I would call this a masculine-leaning unisex scent. It doesn't reach out and strangle you with its manliness. It's gentle and pleasantly rugged, and in my opinion a woman or nonbinary person could easily pull this off if they were so inclined.

Yes to the patchouli, leather and honey. I love this when first applied. It's smooth black leather and a thick and rich patchouli that is spicy, chocolatey, and reminiscent of tobacco and black dirt, all at once. Dark and earthy, but charmingly sweet. The honey adds to the sticky sweetness without being aggressive. Reminds me of a darker, honeyed, no vanilla version of Banshee Beat.
The mid-stage isn't great on me. From the 10 minute to around the one hour mark, something mentholic and minty comes through on my skin, and Pognophobia smells like harsh mouthwash.

Around the one hour mark, though, that mintiness goes away and I'm left with gorgeous patchouli and leather again, just barely sweetened by honey. It's not as sweet or complex as the glorious opening stage, but it's good.

I'll keep my bottle of this and see how it ages and continues to wear.

Sexy, smoky woods and patchouli. Wonderfully warm. The best hug from the guy with the best beard and the softest red plaid shirt infused with wood shavings and tung oil from his fine carpentry project for the microbrewery downstairs.

The honey comes forth in the drydown. I agree to a vanilla echo. It's predominantly a patch party on me, but the other elements add complexity.

I can't imagine anyone this wouldn't smell good on. Everyone should always wear this forever.

Postscript

I'd applied this and was huffing contentedly and taking notes every five seconds or so when I bumped the bottle with my sleeve. Today's meditation: rescuing spilled perfume oil with an eyedropper.

I've had this in the closet for a couple of months and finally took it for a test drive. This is a ridiculously mellow blend. Very very masculine, but like a calm lumbersexual with big hands who doesn't have anything to prove. If you want to try patchouli but you're afraid of it, this is a good place to start. It's so smooth, like it's had several years to age. The leather and the wood is finely balanced - none of the three notes compete with each other at all, and the honey is just a bare hint of underlying sweetness. I tend to amp BPAL's honey, and this one behaves really well.

I might need more of this.

Decant: mmmm Patchouli and LEATHER!!!!!
Wet on Me: holy yum this smells divine at first application. all patchouli and leather. Totally hitting my sweet spot!
Drying Down: I need to track down TONS of this! holy cow this is just fabulous leather patch.
Dry: LOVE LOVE LOVE! Smooth leather patchouli that makes me want to huff the back of my hand all day long!

Creamy patchouli, sweeter and warmer; I swear there's some tobacco in here. A bit of cedar? Masculine and lovely, but could definitely be unisex. Nice!

Where I'd wear this: To the barber, fam