Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
wendyb1063

Pediophobia

Fear of Dolls

(But not ventriloquist dummies. Thats an entire phobia unto itself.)

White porcelain cracked by white tobacco, threads of brittle cognac, and vanilla filigree.

This is a very interesting blend. I suspect this will be something that I won't reach for much in the near future but will come to really enjoy it later after it has aged and after I have come to associate it with my life at this point.

That doesn't sound like a ringing endorsement. I do like it, though. I had hoped for more sweetness from the tobacco and vanilla, but it is dry, elegant, perfumey, even. I detect something that smells like white tea; I wonder if that is the white porcelain note?

The more I wear it, the more I like it. The throw is very good, and I when I get little whiffs of it, it's very pleasing. It does have a bit of the loud 80's bombshell perfumes feel to it.

I agree with the previous review: this blend is dry and more "perfumey" than the description lets on.

In the bottle: Strong. I think I'm mostly getting the white tobacco and cognac notes. It almost put me off, since tobacco notes don't usually play well with my skin chemistry (neither do boozy notes, really...so honestly the fact that I even bought this one is a little unwise of me, but what can you do?). I really almost didn't test it. There's some sweetness there, though, too, and I like it.

Wet: Really strong. I couldn't even really differentiate the notes at first, because honestly it was all just THERE.

Dry: For most of its wear, the scent isn't as delicate as I imagined it might be. It took almost a full 2 hours before the scent calmed down and then the vanilla started to come out more and added a sweeter edge.

I applied this a full 12 hours ago on one wrist (I was testing another scent on the other wrist), and I still get whiffs of it when I move around. The scent settled closer to the skin eventually (a few hours into wear), but still hasn't completely faded away. Overall, I like it more than I thought I would when I first applied it.

The tobacco and vanilla are strongest on me, for a musky-sweet vanilla cloud. The cognac backs it up. A beautiful golden brown vanilla scent. I get the faintest bit of powder, not like orris or violets though, which I'm assuming is the porcelain. Absolutely gorgeous. Not at all delicate on me.

This is a beautiful vanilla-cognac-tobacco scent on me. There is something a little powdery (the porcelain?) but it isn't a bad powdery at all. Wet, it smelled like a sophisticated (albeit more traditional) perfume. As it dries, it really is a glowing vanilla and tobacco, but there is a suggestion of *pink* there, and I don't know what it is coming from. It is a little *girly* but not too much. It is only very slightly sweet, and not at all in a foodie way...not too sweet at all. This is just stunning and it is the winner of my order.

I love this. Upon application I smile... TOBACCO and cognac and vanilla .. drying down it shows promise. Hints of black lace, antique lace, the girl registered. Closer to the final stage... it gets perfumish. A bit of cold and perfectly lifeless.

The finish? Lovely. a perfume creamy vanilla w a sweet aromatic undercurrent. rich, cold, yet voluptuous.

its got that twang going for it. i keep eating to bury my face in it. might be the filagree. that artificially addicting nuance in like the best smelling pomade or make up.

pediophobia is slightly fake in all the best ways. i feel like a most perfect mannequin.

Long wear, good throw. My favorite blind bottle of the Yule lab order. & A top 5 for 2016 new releases.
Back up bottle required as I can't wait to see how this ages. It's a completely wearable and fun!

Edited by SmilesSunshine

This is a sweet, musky, perfumey blend on me. It's very strong and I agree with wendyb that it smells like something from the 80's. Oddly, I don't really get tobacco from this at all. I hope that will change as it ages.

The vanilla musk aspect of this actually reminds me of Ava, a little bit (I just noticed they both share the word "brittle" in their descriptions too, which is appropriate). Pediophobia is sweeter, louder, and just generally more over-the-top / divaesque than Ava, which is so lovely and wearable on me. I think I will really appreciate this more as time goes on, especially if the tobacco becomes stronger with age like I hope.

I'm not a huge vanilla fan but this is pure magic. I mainly bought it because someone mentioned they noticed similarities to Ava and they are absolutely spot on this is very much like Ava but without the fruit note. It has this beautiful soft cool clay type note way down.

This just came in the mail today. This was the scent I was most excited to try! I couldn't wait any longer, it's at room temp now, so I'm going for it! (Smells gorgeous in the bottle!)

Wet: Oooh. This is spicier than I anticipated! I think the combination of white tobacco (sweet and dry) and cognac are providing a dry sort of spiciness to this. It's truly gorgeous. It does remind me of the laces, a bit. It has that feel, plus the vanilla/tobacco/cognac combo. It's a warm scent - warmer than I anticipated, but with this cool porcelain note (very faint) lying underneath. The white tobacco is quite different from any of the lab's tobacco notes I have smelled before. It's really beautiful. So many nuances. Incredibly complex smelling for a scent with relatively few notes. At times I almost get a bakery feel from that combo of the rich spicy tobacco with vanilla and cognac.

Dry: I think I love it. I think it will age beautifully. All the notes are totally balanced, and totally more than the sum of their parts. Rich, a bit spicy, classic yet unique. Lovely.

Creamy vanilla, tobacco, and wisps of porcelain and cognac. The porcelain and cognac keep the vanilla from being too rich or foodie. I can see why people would really really love the vanilla-tobacco combo in this. It ends up as high end vanilla perfume on me. Great throw and wear length.

I would definitely try to enable folks that love traditional vanilla perfumes with this.

This is nice and it will be highly sought after for many, but it's a mess on my skin. The vanilla is sweet, but not foodie and I like it paired with the cognac. However I'm amping the tobacco so much it tickles the back of my throat and ends up reminding me of carpet deodorizer.

It becomes an almost sickly sweet tobacco with a vanilla undertone that's also super strong. I think on the right person this would be lovely, however on me it's causing a headache.

Ack, I guess this is a skin chemistry issue, because this is sickeningly sweet on me. I was hoping the tobacco and whatever white porcelain may be would balance this out, but this makes my head hurt with it's sweetness.

Wet/in imp - perfumey vanilla. I don't get much tobacco.

Freshly applied - cool, creamy vanilla with a hint of alcohol - the cognac almost makes this smell like a commercial perfume because of the alcohol note, but I like it. Something abut this is cool and pale, but a different cool than the dry coolness of Winter: My Secret. It makes me think of porcelain and smooth, pale plastic, possibly via the power of suggestion due to the name. A good two/three inches of throw.

Twenty-thirty minutes in - musky vanilla (with a hint of tobacco?) and cool, aromatic/rich cognac. This has a sophisticated air to it despite its sweetness, maybe because the cognac adds that hint of fancy-perfume-alcohol to it. This is one of those big dolls with sausage curls and a fancy Victorian dress that sits in a white-painted child-sized chair and stares at you with dead china/glass eyes. Its eyes are pale blue-green, and there are ghostly white dust-clothes over the larger pieces of bedroom furniture, including the mirror of the small, white painted vanity. The dry-rotted fabric tears when you try to pull it back to see the age-spotted silver mirror behind it. The glass perfume bottle on the vanity are empty except for some dried residue and the ghost of the sweet, girlish vanilla scents they used to hold. No one's been in this slightly-musty wing of the house in years, and when you ask about it, everyone pretends they don't know what you're talking about.

I don't think I need a bottle because I have half-a-dozen vanilla scents already, but if I didn't, I'd consider it.

This is so unusual, yet I do like it. Soft, clear non-foody vanilla. Porcelain is actually a good way to describe this blend, Porcelain Vanilla, the Irish kind. Baleek, I think it's called, almost translucent and crystalline in quality. I like this, and will probably hunt down a partial or maybe even a full bottle.

On the wand, this is a beautiful antique vanilla. The cognac doesn’t stand out as boozy at all, instead combining with a pale ceramic or clay-like note to give an antique impression. The vanilla is perfectly delicate. I feel like I just walked into an antique shop of such fragile valuables that all customers have their hands tied at the door.

Stays about the same through drydown and an hour later. I never get more than a hint of mild tobacco, scarcely there.

I love new and interesting vanilla blends.

First of all, this has crazy, strong throw. I can smell it outside the bottle from a distance :princess:
I've had this several weeks and it's finally settling down. The blend is very distinct, with a recognizable, almost "signature" scent. If I smelled it on someone else, I would immediately recognize the scent. I can understand the reference to Ava here, in a "expensive boutique fragrance" sort of way.

Straight-up, first bottle sniff reminds me of (strangely) Skin-So-Soft? and I'm getting that just after application, but it fades fast. My mother and aunt bought tons of it back when I was playing with dolls, and it takes me back to the days I chopped off barbie's hair and drew a beard on her. :cheer:

After a few minutes, the creamy, sugary cognac vanilla blossoms and GAH! it goes all beautiful. The tobacco note warms the whole thing up and gives it a blonde caramel sweetness that is cozy and sexy at the same time.
I'm so glad I waited on this one and let it age a bit. I can only imagine what this will be like in a few more months.
Yes, you need this :heart:

Edited by Jenjin

A soft, slightly powdery vanilla/tobacco in the bottle. Goes on as the "high" tobacco from Sherlock Holmes (I guess now I know what white tobacco is) and a candied vanilla. This stage is amazing. Some depth comes in, maybe from the cognac? which is the next note as it dries. I totally get the "porcelain" concept here. This settles into a perfumy kind of tobacco — sort of the perfumy note from Honeyed Apple, which doesn't work as well here.

I like it, but I'm not yet convinced I love it.

Pediophobia smells like.... Edith Cushing.... at least on me. :smilenod: It reminded me of EC when I first put it on. Now I'm sitting here with one on each arm, and they are still pretty darn close. My husband thought EC smelled fainter, but otherwise couldn't tell a difference.

They are a bit different. Pediophobia is chillier and higher pitched, but they both have that almost edible, but not quite, sweet perfumey vanilla overlaying sort of a musky warm base. As Ped. dries down, more of the tobacco note comes into play. It's a dry tobacco vs. a dark sticky tobacco. It's lovely. I have a bottle on the way.

Seriously though, if you are languishing for EC, you might want to check this one out, since there is about a snowballs chance in hell of finding EC.

ETA: I notice Edith was also compared to Ava (which I haven't smelled), so there ya go. Mmmmm.... Vanilla :yum:

Edited by VetchVesper

Powder porcelain cognac-vanilla! Soooo delicious! This may be in my top scents of all time! Definitely agree with the 80s perfume feel. It sticks around a long time and is fragile and pretty, but with good throw. It's not powder-baby powder per say, but the crumbling dust of porcelain when cracked intermingled with the vanilla cognac. The tobacco I haven't noticed yet, but I think it serves to earthen put the scent. Can't wait to see how this ages. Will be ordering lots of bottles!

I can see why people are going nuts over this one! It could've been released as Antique Doll's Lace via DD and I wouldn't have known any different. Its smooth polished vanilla with lovely light wispy tobacco and a sweet cognac backdrop. Wonderful. Bottle worthy for sure. Lab: 4. Wallet: zero.

Edited by SophieCedar

In the bottle, the vanilla, as someone else described, is something of a 'sweet cloud'. It reminds me of a light-colored musk I was gifted many years ago that seemed to have certain magical properties. It's hard to pinpoint, except to say that it's not at all foodie- it's really a vanilla musk for me. This continues to wearing wet on the skin. If anything, that aspect only grows stronger as the scent warms up with body heat. Upon dry down, it stays pretty much the same.

Because of the tobacco/cognac combo, I thought this scent might be a cousin of Black Lace. but no, this is very much its own thing, a light, dreamy, floaty vanilla musk that I can see wearing well into spring.

This is a big vanilla with something dark around the edges. But definitely mainly vanilla. It doesn't get overwhelmingly sweet on me, and I can see this being a favorite with a lot of people.

I was curious about the porcelain note, but I'm not getting much besides a kind of dark, non-foody vanilla.

The throw is medium on me.

The first few times that I wore this, I thought that it was way too powdery for me. Then it seemed to settle into itself (or I got used to it) and I really started to appreciate the perfumey sweetness of it.

Pediophobia reminds me of The British Blondes atmosphere spray, which I always say is like the scent of walking into a Sephora and smelling all of those sweet cosmetics powders and hints of All The Perfumes. It's a powdery, sweet vanilla floof of a scent. It also has an edge to it that smells girly and pink.
Perfumey and powdery are usually terms that I use when I don't like a fragrance, but I like this enough that I ordered two bottles...

Edited by Little Bird

Pediophobia is as beautiful as I suspected it would be. :D I get what smells like a straight split between white tobacco, vanilla, and cognac with a stony, mineral note backing it. It might be my nose playing tricks on me, but it also smells like there's a touch of white musk in here. It definitely has a powdery edge, like the texture on matte, unfinished porcelain. Lovely.

I've been testing what remains of my decant after breaking it in my own hands :( thankfully I had an empty vial I could decant the leftovers into fast.

I agree with the comparisons to Ava, but Pediophobia is less biting and sexy. If they were sisters I'd say this was the most innocent, cold and distant of the two. Wet, it's almost stony and when it warms up the beautiful combo of the vanilla + tobacco comes out. I said to myself I'd only get one Yule and this is the strongest contender so far!