Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

J.E. Millais

Brown leather, tonka bean, guiac wood, and brown musk chilled by white frankincense, eucalyptus, and calla lily.

I've not been first before. Hopefully, it is still helpful to some :)

I'm a leather lover, and I like to try every scent that contains it. However, I really don't get any leather from this.

It goes on very strong Floral (lily), white, biting, and clean (probably the mix of frankincense and eucalyptus). This does not work well for me, and while I like what the scent settles into, I'm probably won't keep it because the initial smell is abrasive to me.
Eventually (an hour or so later) the throw softens -- the initial bite settles and I get a little less floral and a little more wood and tonka...and this continues till the initial floral and white notes are basically gone. This second stage lasts all day and is very pleasant and soft. I guess it could be described as somewhat leathery, but if I wasn't looking for the leather I probably wouldn't think that.

I'm really glad I tried it on my skin as it softened to something that I would not have guessed from smelling the bottle.

I wanted to try this because I love guiac wood and brown musk. Initially I smell the leather, but it quickly dried down to Skin So Soft?! What in the WORLD?! It smelled lovely on other people at Will call. I got a warm, incensey floral on them!

Something about this reminds me of Unicorn and Ram. There's the same fuzziness to it and the leather note smells similar. It's a warm scent, but very faint. When it dries down, it becomes a very soft skin smell. Should've been a win judging purely by the notes, but Speak! Speak! failed to vocalize its charm.

Fuzzy brown leather, musk, and frankincense. It turns into a very close to the skin blend. Low throw and good wear length.

In the imp, this was all grainy frankincense and cold eucalyptus, but once it hit my skin, the frankincense disappeared and the lily came out, joined a few minutes later by just a hint of soft leather. It's very fresh and clean smelling , and more floral than I'd expected, more like a Luper than a Weenie. It's a very smoothly blended scent (despite the lily's attempt to dominate it on first application), and after the first twenty minutes or so, it's melded into a soft, close-to-the-skin blend of lily and soft wood/leather/tonka.

After an hour and a half or so, it fades into a soft, gentle skin scent that I can no longer pick out any individual notes in. I actually like it best at this stage (when I finally start to get the fuzzy Unicorn-and-Ram-like aspect Kris was talking about upthread), but I suspect it will fade entirely after not much longer.

"Everything about this sounds perfect except for the lily!" *opens imp* "...ohno." >.< Yep, high-pitched soapy lily D: None of the lovely brownness I'd been hoping for, just screechy whiteness, including when it hits my skin.

As it starts to dry down it softens and gets powdery; it smells very much "commercial ladies' perfume" with a strong soapiness behind. Unless this seriously pulls it out, it's getting scrubbed off... Not getting anything like my beloved Unicorn & Ram, which is up there with my Holy Grail scents. No leather, no guaic wood, *definitely* no tonka. Just sharpness and soap and that spray-alcohol smell; if this had been my first experience of bpal some 12 years ago, I wouldn't have stuck around! What a disappointment - all the more so cos as it wears on I get faint hints of a fuzzy tonka-wood behind all the screeching horror.

Edited by tau