Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
aiobhan

My Little Grotesque

Lilith expressing herself at the V&A: cardamom-dusted cupcakes.

Wearing My Little Grotesque tonight because I wanted something dessert-y for my post-work BPAL scent. I love this one as much as Cake Smash, and wear it when I want a good dose of cardamom and yellow cake. This is the most cardamom-forward BPAL scent I've ever tried, and it makes me want to seek out even more scents with the note. I get vanilla frosting on the drydown...heavenly. :wub2:

In the bottle: Exactly what I wanted- all sugared cardamom, all the time.

Wet: Cardamom and sweetness, ahhh! If this stayed this way, this would be an all time Top 5 scent for me.

Dry down: The Lab cake note just does not work with my skin chemistry, to my eternal disappointment. Dusty, plasticky, old stale cake with a hint of its previous cardamom glory behind it dominates the drydown.

One hour later: The dusty plastic smell has gone, and so has the cardamom and I'm left with a pleasant, vague sweetness. Still, what I had hoped for was a super duper sugared cardamom scent, and this just didn't pan out.

In the bottle this was almost offensively strong cardamom and nothing else. Once on skin, though, it blooms into one of the sweetest, most comforting cardamom cake I've ever smelled. Truly a beautiful scent- one of the only non-lavender sleep scents I've encountered. Good sillage and longevity.

The cardamom is so glorious in My Little Grotesque! The sadness, though! It stays for a few minutes and fades to a slightly fake dry vanilla cake scent on my skin. I smeared some through my hair ends, and the cardamom stayed! Yay for that. I also put it in my scent locket, and it works fine, of course. More buttercream from the locket than any of the other applications. 

I really want want to keep this, but kinda bummed that it doesn’t work on my skin. I’ll hold on to it a while longer to see how often I wear the locket, or a bit in my hair. 

There were so many Liliths and Yules that called to me in 2016. Sadly, this one did not make the cut...

BUT IT SHOULD HAVE. It is the most glorious cardamom-infused vanilla frosting and yellow cake scent. I want to lick my arm! :yum: Unfortunately, the cardamom doesn't stick around for the entire wear -- it fades after about an hour, and only a whiff of cardamom remains -- but the remaining vanilla buttercream and yellow cake scent is still delicious. I am thrilled that I got to try this one after all. I shall cherish my decant and maybe try to find more of this at some point in the future. :heart: 

Edited by doomsday_disco

In the decant: Cardamom and moist cake. (I cannot tell the difference between yellow cake and white cake, and so I will not try.)

On my skin:

Wet, there's something almost harsh and chemical about the scent; I get cardamom but no cake. Fortunately, that harsh phase is extremely short-lived. I get a cardamom cream frosting phase that also relatively quickly dials back to a slightly less sweet cardamom dusted cake. At this stage, I don't get the sense that the cupcakes themselves are overly frosted. Not too long after, however, the whole scent dials back to be really faint and close to my skin. Which is a shame, since it's pretty nice, but I think I'd want more throw before I sought out a bottle.