Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Sugared peony and rose-tinted vanilla with mallow, white musk, lavender buds, and a touch of apricot.

Pink and purple marshmallow clouds. Sweet but warm and comforting. Everything I would imagine a fairytale to smell like. My favorite of the unicorms, so far.

After the reviews, I wasn't so sure I would like something that smelled so feminine, but I'm glad I took the chance to try it. For me, it's a lovely scent that teeters on the edge of marshmallows in hot cocoa and sweet creamy florals. It's gentle but stays long.

De Vos' Unicorn is lovely. I was nervous about that lavender but I don't smell it at all. I get mostly "sugared peony" grounded by a mallow note: This is not marshmallow-y smelling to me, and even the sugar note does not read as candy. Rather, it is identifiably floral with something slightly creamy and sweet underneath. It would smell delightful on a young girl--it's that kind of girly baby smell, though not "powdery" at all--but is also sophisticated enough for the ladies. Sillage is good and this thing lasts forever!

This is a really awesome scent for me, because I'm totally unfamiliar with light scents like this on a daily basis. I like heavier, spicy, incense blends as a general rule. This absolutely shocked me as being one of the most beautiful light, breathy scents I have honestly ever smelled. I got a bottle fresh off of eBay and I think I'm going to order another, I love it THAT much.

I smell all of it upon opening the bottle, except for the apricot. It's a sugary, light blue cloud of the lightest tingle from vanilla rose, velvety peony, musky hard lavender, all completely tamed and rolled in a cool must of mallow root. And it IS the root...which is such an earthy and lovely mallow. Ever so lightly of a powder on the skin, which resembles more of a dust upon mallow. Sugary rose and vanilla. Dries down to a conglomeration of all the notes. I am so in love. I can't believe how some scents seduce certain people! I am buying backups, as I said before, and I have never done that with any LE.

This is really lovely, innocent but sophisticated.

It started off as a sweet 'sparkling' vanilla floral, and after a few hours the florals really come out on me, but the vanilla is still there. I could smell the apricot a little bit at the beginning but it soon disappeared, which is a shame, I'd like this to have a bit more 'juice'.

But it is still a very beautiful and calming scent that just wafts around you in a cloud of soft, warm, vanilla flowers.

De Vos’ Unicorn

In the bottle: wet sweet floral

Wet: sweet, pale pink, floral-tinted sugar. There’s an unlisted rice note in here, present also in the fairy thorn and also in First Cry of the Warbler on the Plum and even whilst wet, this scent morphs tremendously. I’m starting to detect more creamy sugar, with tiny, glittery specks of citrusy pop- like dusting sugar .. no like spun sugar! I don’t get much of the Lavender, it’s quite mute. I imagine this is how TKO’s lavender to smell only turned down many many levels. It has a similar marshmallow infused spun-sugar that is also present in Love.

Drydown: De Vo's Unicorn is a soft, pink peachy kind of sprinkled sugar- probably the apricot and peonies coming out. It’s quite candied and fruity for a floral- amped to the same sugary-ness as Sugar Plum Fairy, but softer and more close to the skin. The florals are mild and muted- not sharp, the apricot is tart, and unlike what I remember in Katharina- but balances the sweetness and floral nature of the blend very well…so much that I feel that they are a little similar. It morphs to a sweeter phase, and now smells more like a beautiful, floral cotton-candy sugar. Sooo delicate and beautiful! If it were a colour, it’d be pale pinky lilac peach.

TL;DR: pale pink and peachy spun sugar marshmallow

Edited by celestia

Another favorite of mine. Sparkly, soft, and magical. It's light and innocent. I never understood how a perfume could be fluffy until smelling this. It reminded me a little of hairspray at first but that went away once it settled. I can't even pick out individual notes. They all come together and create something really delicate and unique, like a soft sweet cloud. Gorgeous!

This scent pretty much hits on all my happy BPAL triggers: white musk, lavendar, mallow, rose, vanilla. I was a little cautious about the apricot, but I don't notice it. Instead, I smell yummy mallow, vanilla, and white musk - the florals and lavendar take the background in this scene. It's gourmand in terms of airy, fluffy meringues with rose water, not fresh baked cookies. I freaking love it.

This was a bottle I picked up as much for the artwork as for the actual scent - while soft, delicate, feminine scents are something I usually think smell lovely, they're not something I typically like smelling on myself, and florals (barring some rose scents, especially when it's a green/more real smelling rose) aren't usually my cup of tea either.

With that said, WOW. I get marshmallow-y vanilla with candied rose and maybe a hint of the lavender buds. I think the musk is in there as well, which may be what saves this from leaning into the 'this smells nice but is totally not me' territory. I'm not sure what peony smells like, so that may be in the delicate, sweet floral mix as well (I don't get any apricot, but it's still gorgeous). It's delicate and girly, and all of the things that I usually don't like on myself, but it somehow manages to be an absolute keeper in spite of that.

Also, usually these light, delicate scents stick close to the skin, but this has gorgeous throw - it doesn't feel overwhelming, but I do catch whiffs of it as I sit at my desk at work, and it makes me so glad I opted to purchase a bottle.

Edited by Vashtya

Wet: lightly fruity, mallow, and peony

Dry: same, and a bit powdery. Really lovely. This actually reminds me a lot of Solstice Scents Violet Mallow. I was a bit surprised that this doesn't contain violet. I guess it's the peony, musk, and apricot working together. This is a bit more complex than Violet Mallow, but it's good to know there's an alternative.

What the heck? Where did the tall silvery grasses and dry hay come from?! :/

So, of any BPAL I have ever tried, I think this one has the lightest and shortest throw on me. I have to slather and huff to pick anything up from it. At least it isn't foody in the least, and can only be described as "pretty" during its very short lifespan.

This is a doll's smell through and through (complete with the barest effigy of downy plastic playing softly in the background somewhere)-- I get no apricot, no peony, and no rose (which is what I assumed would be dominant). I think the main note I'm sensing here is 'mallow'-- as in the creamy medicinal root, not the confectionery.

Upon initial application, all the way throughout the five minutes to powdery dry-down, oddly enough I get the scent of sun-baked hay and billowing wild grasses (that have not been cut). There may be a hint of wildflowers in there somewhere, and the smallest, tiniest sprinkle of powdered sugar. There may even be one single dried lavender bud present (perhaps the barest breath of peony, rose, and lavender combined have evoked the sense of wild flowers?). I can't even detect the vanilla somehow!

It's as if though there were a white chiffon pillow nestled deep in the tall summer grass out in a field somewhere, with a single well-manicured doll sitting atop it--except the tip of her nose is smeared with a dollop of buttercream icing.

I love De Vos' Unicorn so! I'm going to have to stockpile any and all blends containing mallow. It's my current obsession. And I'm always a soft touch for a sugared floral. Peony can get lemony on me, but that's not happening here. Sugar, vanilla and mallow are soft and powdery and gorgeous. It's a floral blend, though, not foodie. Dreamy and light-hearted, just like a unicorn floating on a cloud, wearing a crown of flowers!

First Sniff Impression: Pretty, inoffensive. A nice, floral perfume. Reminds me of those "bath beads" that I used to have in the 90's.

Wet in Vial: The rose is strongest for me, but fortunately there's enough else in it to cut the rose a bit

Drying Down on Skin: Drying down the rose is still strongest, a very pink girly rose, though I feel there's another pink floral so probably the peony. No lavender or apricot yet.

Dry on Skin: Fully dry the floral notes definitely seem more "sugared" than how fresh they were at first. It's awesome the sweetness is coming out more strongly and it's not amping rose on me, cause usually I just CAN'T wear rose as much as I want to love it. But I love this the way it is!

Conclusion: I was so worried the rose would completely trample the other notes, even though it's pretty, but fortunately it remained pretty balanced. I don't think I need to have more than I already do, but it's a lovely scent! I think it would be even more amazing layered with a sweet vanilla like Antique Lace.

De Vos' Unicorn is mostly pink florals, and vanilla. The rose is stronger than the peony. Musk is there, but gentle. Once this dries it gets a scent to it that I can't entirely place, but I think it might be the mallow root, maybe in combination with the lavender buds. It's kind of leafy/grassy... almost reminds me of tea. I really don't get any apricot from this at all.

Overall, enjoyable. Probably one of my favorites. It has decent throw and lasts quite a while. The only negative to it is the weird grassy scent that shows up. It isn't enough to ruin it, but it can be a little headache inducing.

As a side note, it reminds me an awful lot of Victoria, which is also rose with vanilla. The main difference is that this stays a fairly pink floral, while Victoria goes white with the lily, and De Vos' Unicorn is much more vanilla-y.

Edited by mishi-bear

Sweet, delicious, amazing. This is sugary vanilla peony on a bed of marshmallows. Definitely my second favorite blend of all time. It's such an innocent beautiful scent. It's like nothing I've ever smelled. I don't think I'm a huge peony fan, but the other notes compliment it so well it's elevated to near perfection. I need to hunt down another bottle of this magic.

I totally understand why De Vos' Unicorn is so beloved. It's gorgeous, sweet and fluffy, rainbows and kittens, and manages the neat trick of seeming ethereal while lasting a good long time even on my sponge-like skin. But it's not me. I may keep my decant for when I am in a pale pink sort of mood, but I can't imagine using up a bottle.

Source: Amazing decant from a forum swap

Preconception: I have a soft spot for peony - it blooms almost every year on my Birthday (May 30th). I had a few peony bushes alongside my house when I was a child, always enjoyed the blooms with my mom on my birthday. And now that I have my own house, It happened to have peonies alongside the house as well. And year after year they bloom right on my birthday, give or take a day. It's one of the few florals I have any connection with. Also - Unicorns. FING GIVE ME UNICORNS! - I'm hoping the floral will be gentle, and the vanilla/apricot will be big players. I can hope.

Vial: Pure rose.

Skin: Rose heavy. I amp it. I didn't think rose-tint would become the star of the show.

Drydown: Rose-like, vanilla-sweet, lavender is barely noticeable, apricot faint but sweet-tart. "Sugared" is gentle. Peony-Rose dom. The lavender was SUPER faint on me - I usually notice it right away but this blend it got buried under the lush rose-peony combo.

LAAATE drydown I did some yardwork and worked up a sweat. And this baby has a beautiful late vanilla that will bloooooom on hot overworked skin. Try wearing this one to work out with. You'll be a majestic unicorn and smell like one too.
Verdict: Marsh-mellow-sweet peony and rose, muddled background of tart-fruity herbal. Vanilla beauty on the late drydown.

Wet: This smells like a rose-flavored marshmallow. (Is that a real thing?) A little bit sweet, but not overly so. The rose is fairly light as well. There's just a hint of lavender as well, but you have to really search for it.

Dry: Okay, so rose and I typically don't hang on. We'll try to get together every now and then, but 90% of the time we just don't get along. (Aka the rose either amps up beyond belief and takes over the entire blend, OR it goes straight up soapy.)

The rose is here is reminding me more of a white rose than a red one, and I think it seems to be nicely mellowed by all the other notes.

I would describe this as an... ethereal rose-marshmallow blend. Very delicate.

I am not usually a rose fan, and straight out of the bottle the smell I get primarily is a very screechy hairspray rose that scared the hell outta me!

After applying it, though, WOW! The rose immediately calms the F down and the other notes fly to the forefront. I am not picking out lavender in particular from this blend, but I usually tend to like my lavender extremely herbal so I don't trust my nose to identify softer versions. It's very well-blended in any event.

When sniffing close to the skin, I almost get an herbal/dry grass scent that disappears at a distance. The scent cloud this produces is airy, fluffy, pink clouds of misty marshmallow flowers. It's not foody (thank goodness, I was a little worries about the apricot) but it also isn't an aggressive floral. Very soft and light.

I do tend to prefer stronger scents, but I am pretty impressed with how light this manages to be without disappearing. Very pretty scent and worth trying even if you are a rose hater like I am!

In the imp: Marshmallow and pretty peony, a waft of lavendar and a hint of apricot musk.

Wet: Sugared vanilla, slightly cakier than Dorian, but very similar. A strengthening spine of musk, slathered with a soft ripe apricot.

Dry: A perfectly sugared floral/fruit combo. I never did end up purchasing a bottle, though I was sorely tempted at the time and wouldn't rule it out if I saw this come up on a sale list... Mild, but with good staying power.

Stars: ★★★★★

I must have gotten the same batch of De Vos' Unicorn as Shadowdawn, or my decant didn't come from a properly mixed bottle, because I had the same dried grasses/hay-like scent experience. No florals except the mallow, and the barest hint of lavender. This smells like hay + mallow flower. It's a very light and powdery scent, I'd put it in the same family as A Place of Seeing (which I highly prefer!)

ETA: The peony finally made an appearance 3-ish hours after application. 

Edited by PumpkinGuts