Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
SadariEvenstar

Stekkjarstaur

Wooly sugared marshmallow root.

Stekk is basically a delicious marshmallow single note on me and I love it!! :yum:

The staying power is amazing too!! So glad I took a chance on this little guy! :wub2:

In the bottle: Sugary and creamy vanilla.

Wet: This is sweet and creamy. The vanilla to me is like smelling vanilla extract in the bottle. I get a somewhat marshmallow-y vibe, but its so much more than that... Ooh, I know what this is reminding me of! Its like melted marshmallow cream mixed with vanilla, butter and evaporated milk being stirred together on the stove preparing to make fudge.

Dry: This is pretty much staying the same as the wet phase. But for me, that's a great thing. This is truly a beautiful scent.

I am not good at reviews. Thus, although I've been with BPAL since 2006, I am unsure if I've ever written a review - maybe one?

Antique Lace is one of my all-time favorite scents. I love it. In all my years of BPAL-dom, it's one of two I've paid heavily for, and not regretted it. I love AL, and I know AL on my skin.

Stekk is AL with a non-buttery*** marshmallow note *on me.* The AL aspect is about 80-90% of what floats up to my nose, with the remaining 10-20% being the all-white, fresh (not cooked) marshmallow veil.

Love. Serious hoarding happening here. :wub3: :bunnyluv: :evol: :wub2:

***I *hate* buttery notes with a passion. HATE.

ITI: That's definitely marshmallows and sugar. It reminds me of carnivals as a child - all the positive and none of the negative smells (I'm looking at you, candied apple).
Wet: On my skin, the marshmallow is less of a home-made artisan marshmallow and more of a marshmallow cream, sticky with heavy sugar.
Dry: The scent becomes softer, less sticky sweet and processed. Instead, it seems like the sugar and marshmallow notes are wrapped in cotton. It's a nice scent, but not something I'd reach for on a regular basis. I think if I enjoyed foody scents more, I would.

In the bottle: creamy sweetness, and something just a little sharper- sweet vanilla, but also a slightly chemical undertone that worries me. I smell a cream or milk note as well, and powdery sugar.

Wet: The sweetness and that same sharp note. Then all the cloudy fluffy marshmallowy elements others have delighted in billow forth. Nicer than regular marshmallows. I'm reminded of the filling of an oreo cookie.

Dry: This sits at a nice marshmallowy place for quite a while. Then the sweetness gradually dissipates until my skin smells like warm fabric - all wool with just a touch of the sweetness.

This is pretty delightful -- I look forward to how it ages.

Layered over Giljaguar, with which I think it shares some affinities, this sweetens the very strong cinnamon that G has on me, and makes a very tasty foodie combo.

I used to live in Hollywood and there was this frozen yogurt place that I frequented called Frog. The frozen yogurt was ok, but what really did me in was that they had this delicious marshmallow topping that was just delicious, and this reminds me of that. Syrupy marshmallow with the faintest hint of mint. Delicious and totally one I'm going to hoard.

This starts off as a sticky,super sweet vanilla marshmallow and mellows out on the sweetness as it dries. Dry the scent has the texture of cotton, if that makes sense. It's a fluffy, wooly, vanilla marshmallow. So perfect.

I am not good at reviews. Thus, although I've been with BPAL since 2006, I am unsure if I've ever written a review - maybe one?

Antique Lace is one of my all-time favorite scents. I love it. In all my years of BPAL-dom, it's one of two I've paid heavily for, and not regretted it. I love AL, and I know AL on my skin.

Stekk is AL with a non-buttery*** marshmallow note *on me.* The AL aspect is about 80-90% of what floats up to my nose, with the remaining 10-20% being the all-white, fresh (not cooked) marshmallow veil.

Love. Serious hoarding happening here. :wub3: :bunnyluv: :evol: :wub2:

***I *hate* buttery notes with a passion. HATE.

This review summed it up perfectly. I may have to make one more order for it...it's just that good. Light on the marshmallow but that vanilla note on the final drydown is AL's cousin. LOVE! :wub2:

Thoughts before purchasing: I've been looking for a cotton candy or marshmallow scent for ages now. When I saw the note list on this bad boy, I had to pounce! This review is coming after a month or so of near-constant wear.

Wet: Sticky sweet, creamy, and pure unadulterated bliss. It's excellent at this stage, if just a little too sweet for me.

Dry down: Pure marshmallow fluff, like a homemade version of the marshmallow fluff you can buy at the store. Perfection.

Dry: And here's Antique Lace wrapped up in a marshmallow stole. Well hellllllllllooooo. This is truly incredible, and this longest-lasting dry stage elevates it from "Yes, finally a marshmallow scent for my collection!" into an instant top-ten and back up bottle scent.

Final thoughts: This is pure love. For the last month, the only perfume I've been wearing is this and Edith Cushing. Bear has started requesting this one by name :tongue: It also lasts an insanely long time on me, well into the next day.

Verdict: Hoarding.

Edited to add: I've ordered two bottles for backup, I love this that much.

Edited by Alethia

Wanted to try this one because of all the hype. I was hoping that it would be more woolly marshmallow and less foodie. Most foodie marshmallow I try to stay away from as it turns to plastic. Welp Stekk did too. I can see where people were comparing it to AL, but if foodie marshmallow goes bad on you then stay far away from this one.

This reminds me alot to TKO actually. Sans, the lavender. Just marshmallows. Good throw, good wearlength.

Sugary, cuddly, marshmallows.

Yummy vanilla marshmallows! This is sweet but nowhere near as cloying as, say, Marshmallow Cookie Pie... it's a very wearable sweet foody scent.

Edited by agirlnamedfury

I so wanted this to be the amazing holy grail that it is for so many others. I do get a nice, sugary marshmallow scent, but it's quite faint on me and just not WOWing me.

I have a bottle of Marshmallow Poof that is much stronger on me, and I have some Antique Lace, Velvet Unicorn, and Edith Cushing for a variety of vanillas that DO work amazing on me.

This one will probably be off to swaps :(

this is indeed a nice bag of marshmallows, but while it's absolutely fine and dandy and perfect for what it is, it's not giving me the grabby hands that forest and musks and resin scents do.

nice, clean, simple, marshy mallowy!

I just found the perfume of my life.

I wanted to love Boo as a perfume oil but it didn't smell as creamy and yummy as the hg. As someone has already said, this is everything and more than what I wanted from Boo. It to me smells like creamy vanilla and sugar. I really hope this returns again, or becomes a staple (please Beth? :wub3: ) because I'm going to need more once my bottles are used up.

I'm not a foody per se, but I love me a good vanilla, and the comparisons to Antique Lace made me break down for a bottle. Shouldn't be too hard to re-home, right? Right off, slightly creamy, sugared vanilla. It kiiiind of reminds me of AL, but only a teeny bit. This lad is STRONG, like a hulking farm boy that likes his sweets. This is more Boo-like to me, :(, a scent I find too sweet and cloying, especially the hair gloss which literally stays for DAYS on me. I'll see how the wear goes, and definitely won't slather next time. I'm thinking Farm Boy may need a new home, but I'll give him a bit of time to age into a man. :)

eta: Sweetness has calmed down, and a lovely, inobtrusive musk comes out. I could swear that there's a bit of floral now, too. I think the Boy may be staying!

Edited by milo

This thread does not need my review but I feel compelled to express my love. I mean, I'd be exaggerating only a little bit by saying that I heard angels singing when I opened this.

This smells like marshmallow cream, the ice cream topping, but no dairy products here. Then there is the fabric note. I can describe this as more wool like than linen. There is a similarity to the pillowcase note, in Sticky Pillowcase. But more wooly.

The drydown is exquisitely vanilla plus wool. Which doesn't sound appealing but it is. So, this oil, unaged (I let it rest a week, but otherwise it is quite fresh) on my skinistry, is Vanilla that is foody nonfoody, sans butter, sans cake, sans crust, with a modest dose of sugar, and a hint of wooly fabric. I'm amazed at how the wool has a texture, created olfactorily. Which is not technically even a word. I just made it up, that is how inspired by the majesty I'm feeling here.

If you wanted pure unadulterated marshmallows without any milk, butter or other foody complexity or burnt notes, this is your grail. Needless to say, I totally love this and purchased an unprecedented amount of back ups. I never want to run out and imagine aging will just make the vanilla sublime. Don't even get me started on the layering possibilities/mind blown. The sillage is respectable, but they won't smell this across the room. The lasting power is quite respectable too for such a young oil. I predict aging will improve both of these parameters.

I think that the wool note adds needed complexity to the simplicity of the sugary marshmallow topping. Epic fucking delicious!, which is my buzz phrase of highest praise.

Edited by sprout

This smells like how I imagine storybook sheep to smell. Cuddly, sweet, and soft. I don't know how to pronounce the name, so I just call it my sheep perfume and if I ever run out I don't know what I'll do.

This is one of my favourite scents of all time.

Ah, I really wish I had bought more than one bottle of this!

I am a slut for marshmallow blends and this has to be one of Beth's best! It is quite literally the scent of fluffy, floofy marshmallows. It's practically a single-note blend on me and I just love it.

Very sugary and creamy and utterly delightful. A brilliant candy blend. Insta-favourite! <3

Marshmallow in the bottle. Goes on as vanilla-y marshmallow. Oh, this fellow is a charmer. Not quite as foody a vanilla as Possets or Villainess. I'm getting something fuzzy and woolly as it dries, but it's definitely the powdery outside of a marshmallow, which is honestly a little too much for me. I see why he's getting a lot of love around here, though.

Wet: CANDY, too much candy, and kind of a chemical smell, way sharp and not my favorite.

Dry: Snuggly, snuggly faint skin vanilla. What's not to like!

Edit: And! It stays true, and lasts and lasts.

Edited by unxolve

MARSHMALLOWS! Creamy, vanilla-scented, diabetes-sweet marshmallows rolled in powdered sugar and crunchy sugar crystals for extra sugary sugar! Basically, single note Marshmallow. Need to order backup.

Blind bottle purchase from the forum. Seeking a pretty marshmallow.

IN THE BOTTLE:

Sweet, white sugary, vanilla cream.

WET:

Subtle, perfect marshmallow comes out mixed with with lots of creamy vanilla.

DRY:

Candied pure marshmallow goodness with a fluffy vanilla back.

NOTES:

Yep-this is perfect stuff destined for unicorn status. Diamond holy sacred goddess mother of all things buried under Tehama mountain after you've touched the Chintamani Stone and wished for perfect marshmallow. It doesn't go bitter or plastic note like the Easter Marshmallow SN did on me. It blooms and swells into wonderful marshmallow bag goodness you can smash your blissful nose deep into and curl your toes.

RATING:

:wub2: 10+

Edited by Jenjin

I recently re-tested this while considering selling it. I'm so glad I did, because it has aged beautifully and behaves much better on my skin now.

Stekk is amazing (even my husband agrees, and that is pretty rare). The perfumed quality that others have noted was tugging at my brain for the longest time before I placed where I had smelled it before; Liz! This is like a sweet, snuggly version of her; she's shed her smoky leather jacket and is getting cozy in bed - all that's left is her fading vanilla perfume and a faintly musky skin scent. Once made, the association is so strong for me (and I prefer this softer variation) that I may now actually consider selling my bottle of Liz instead! We shall see :tongue: