Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Aviatrix

The Bear Prince

Shaggy fur, snow-flecked and rose-touched.

This immediately caught my attention when I read the update, and I am very glad I took a chance on a bottle.
It starts off as mainly fresh dewy rose petals with a snowy sweet background. After a little while the fur starts peeking out and the scent becomes more snuggly.
It is like the snow from Snow White, the rose from Rose Red, and a touch of fuzziness from the fur. He really is the beautiful cousin of those two, but I would say the scent is mainly feminine, although the right guy could pull it off as well.

Throw is fairly good, decent wear length.

I'm having a very similar experience to Aviatrix. A very fresh rose cooled quickly by snow yields to a musk-dominant scent a few hours in. The musk is pale and the blend after it's dry reminds me of a less woody Edith Cushing. I'm seeing this as more of a sleep scent than as something I would wear in the day.

freshly applied, the bear prince is BIG BIG ROSE. a very juicy, voluptuous rose, but not striking me as necessarily a red one. big throw and lottsss of rosey ooomph. there's a cool crispness about it, but it felt more over-the-top than the rose red i tested in 2013. after about an hour, the a creamy snowy sweetness was coming up to match the rose. (and yes, this did remind me of snow white!) the next morning when I woke up, I could smell some furry musk and traces of snow white, but not much rose. that's a nice amount of staying power. hoping that maybe the fur will come out a little more as it settles, only because I adore the lab's fur note. as it is now, it's a dang fine rich rosey floral.

First off, I put this scent on yesterday afternoon and I can still smell it this morning after waking up.

Bear Prince starts out wet as a single note rose. a very nice rose. But, after drying down, its still those beautiful roses, but now they're roses covered in fuzz.

I don't know when this morphed into Rose Musk. Maybe that happened overnight. But, yeah, now its rose musk with a hint of the snow from snow white. Different from when it was applied fresh but still a lovely scent.

I got a few compliments on Bear Prince too.

There's vivid rose and blurry snow in The Bear Prince, so I can see the comparison to the merger of Snow White and Rose Red. Not sure what creates the shaggy fur note, but maybe a touch of light brown musk? This is very wearable and light on me, like red seen through white. Somehow fresh and musky at the same time, which seems like a good capture of a fairy tale. As a BPAL rose lover, this is a great addition to my collection.

Immediately wet on my skin, the Bear Price is a dewy fresh rose. Unfortunately, many of the Lab's roses are hit or miss for me and this one is a miss. As it dries, the rose goes a bit sour and almost begins to smell of citronella to me. There is a definitely fuzzy musk going on in the background. Unfortunately, the final product for me sums up to sweat and rose-scented citronella bug spray. Really sad about this one and no doubt it would be better for rose lovers with kinder skin chemistry.

Fresh dewy soft rose. It's amazing. I need a partial of this. This is a bear snuggled gently in roses completely drifting off into a nap.

In the decant: The fresh rose note from Rose Red, followed by what must be the fur note, and then a very light, sweet snow in the background.

Wet: I agree with the descriptions of this being Rose Red + the Snow White + fur. The sweet snow note is more prominent on me than I expected it to be, and I'm glad, as that's the main reason I wanted to try this scent. The rose is the dominant note, though.

Dry: The rose still reigns, but the snow note has diminished now, so that it is mostly that fresh rose note and a bit of fur. I'm reminded why I don't like Rose Red on my skin, but I'm a fan of the hair gloss. It ends up having a sour aspect on my skin.

Several hours later, the sweet snow note reemerges and helps the fur tame the rose.

Verdict: This is pleasant, but I vastly prefer the rose note in Pink Snowballs with the sweet snow note, and thus, I don't feel the need to obtain more of this.

Edited by dementia_divine

In the bottle: This smells of fresh roses.

Wet: Nice fresh roses with a bit of fur.

Dry: Roses, its all roses. The fur left and the snow never came. But this is a very pleasant rose note for me. So that's good. And it has amazing staying power on my skin.

Darling, sweet, fresh, dewy, rose with a touch of Snow White notes: a creamy, live floral...soft pink. Searching for the musk, it appears on the drydown, as the rose fades just a bit...dimming...losing a bit of it's blush, turning a bit sepia colored on the edges. I'm reminded of the breath of one of my loves, Whoso List to Hunt.

Bear Prince is a lovely rose scent on me. As it dries down, the rose softens and I get some soft musk, and I swear... coconut. No one else has mentioned this, so maybe I'm crazy, but that's what I'm sniff'n. Anywho, it's very pretty and comforting.

On me, The Bear Prince is a soft, dewy rose and fuzzy, snuggly, warm vanilla musk type of scent. After an hour, there's a slightly soapy, clean, dryer sheet type smell underneath that sweet rose musk, that I'm guessing is the snow coming through. Overall, it's light and pretty on my skin, lasting about six hours before it starts disappearing entirely. I like this well enough, but there are vanilla & rose scents that I enjoy more (that are creamier and sweeter than this one).

oh this is lovely. first off, I get rose and the mildly animalic scent of fur. a little snow comes through right after. the rose continues to bloom, getting stronger. the snow seems to add a slight sweetness. as it dries down, the fur gets more subtle and it becomes a snowy rose with a slight sweetness. so soft and pretty!

I get compliments when I wear his fuzzy highness.

TBP is a cuddly musky rose, or rosy musk. The feeling I get from the musk isn't the shaggy, animalistic kind you'd get from the label art. It's more like the skin musk of someone you're cuddled up and you're sniffing their hair, or neck. On me, the snow is delicate and subdued. The rose may be Rose Red, but minus the green bits.

I'm really happy I got a bottle, and I'm considering a backup.

ETA 1. Bear Prince is definitely related to Coyote. 2. I bought a backup bottle. 3. I hope he comes back again, because he's wonderful.

Winter 2022 update: With age, Bear Prince has become stronger, & the balance has shifted. The musk is brighter, less like a skin musk & more like a white musk. There's a hint of something green, probably rose greens, but also a little like fir needles. The rose is stronger too. The changes don't work well on my skin.  His fuzzy highness may be edging into Teadaughter's wheelhouse instead, though the strong rose may not be her jam.

Edited by Teamama
Winter 2022 update

The Bear Prince smells like a lighter version of Rose Red mixed with Snow White. NO JOKE. I amp up red roses like no one's business, and Snow White is like a coconut pina colada on me. So I get this musky light red rose with traces of cool coconut snow.

So I shouldn't love. I really shouldn't love this. But I do.

UNF.

There are some BPALs that from the initial inhale, I fall backwards in olfactory bliss. This is one of those. This is what I had hoped for in Snow White, and while Snow White ended up being too sweet, the light musk (skin musk, maybe?) in this scent balances this subtle rose and powdery, coconutty fresh snow with an earthiness that the saccharine, ethereal innocence of Snow White lacks for me.

I LOVED Bear Prince when I first put it on. The rose is unlike any other I've smelled - the description of "dewy" is really on point as it feels watery and lightly sweetened. It makes me think of a frozen rose, because there's that yummy BPAL "slushy snow" note in here that's chilly in a nice way. It's definitely less "matronly" than others I've smelled and instead feels very youthful and vibrant.

On the downside, the initial rush is pretty short-lived and the blend eventually turns into a typical, drier rose on me. There's a slight backing of musk, but other than that I don't really get much of a fuzzy vibe as I do in scents like Ivanushka. If it would've maintained its initial glory it would probably be a bigger buy for me, but such is the double-edged sword of morphing.

Edited by Balame

Agree with reviewers who compare it to Snow White and Rose Red - I have both and wear them often, and this is definitely a very similar snow note and a very similar fresh cold rose, along with a light, cosy musk. The rose retreats a lot after dry-down, and the end result is an alternative and lighter version of Snow White (which can be very strong on me), with more musk than coconut/almond and gentle rose replacing the distinctive floral.

Absolutely love it, glad I tracked it down.

Edited by animalcules

I have a couple years of the prince and I'm reviewing after re-test.

Ill start by saying this is lovely! But he is not for me.

In bottle & application: beautiful roses full bloom, slightly cold. Very similar to rose red.

Drying down: rose note warms up, nuances of Snow White,,, the coconutty snow.

Drydown/ finish: bahaaaa... my chemistry. I cannot deal with this, I scowl and sneeze. My rose is muffled w fuzz and coconutty snow. It's almost like fuzzy mothballs in a long stem rose bouquet.

Verdict: I like my rose alone, and I do not like snow w fuzz.

I want to love this. I want to love it so hard, but it won't let me. The rose punches me in the face right out of the gate. This is a mean rose. This is a rose on steroids raging out.

This has a sharpness to it that, oddly enough, smells like citrus. It hurts my sinuses. From there it turns into mildewed dryer sheets and just flat out murders my sinuses.

I'm thinking we simply weren't meant to be.

Wet: Hmmm. The rose isn't as WHAM in my face as I expected. This reminds me of the red rose in Whip. Actually, the whole thing reminds me slightly of Whip, with the animalic leather of Whip replaced with furry musk. It's certainly interesting. It's kind of....chewy. I never thought I would describe a rose scent as chewy- that's usually a word I use to describe certain tobacco, patchouli, or resin notes. But this is a chewy rose. I kind of like it? But it's not wowing me like I expected it to. Then, to be fair, I have found myself reaching for rose scents less and less last year and into this year, whereas in 2015 I was all about the rose.

Dry: This is nice - I mostly get the "fur" note, which translates as similar to leather or suede to my nose. Very nice! Hints of rose as well, but clearly I amp that other note. Makes it very different from the other rose scents I have. It's often hard for me to find a really wearable leather scent, and this is vey very wearable on me. Makes me think I might like more of it! I wasn't expecting it to smell like this, that's for sure! Very very nice. Still does remind me of Whip though, and I may do a side-by-side before I make any decisions about this.

I had high hopes for this one and it smelled AMAZING in the bottle, like fresh dewy roses!

But my skin turns the roses into soap, I'm finding this to be my reaction to all the BPAL rose scents I've tried

Oh well

Like I say for most my other rose based scent reviews, if your skin doesn't ruin the rose note I would highly recommend this one!

Smelling it in the bottle again ,oh my goodness so pretty! So perfect! Damn you skin chemistry

This is for the 2016 version.

It starts off mostly rose, of the juicy, fresh red variety.

A soft white musk creeps in.

The rose gets powdery, the musk intensifies to a higher pitch.

And then it's ROSE MUSK all the way.

I was hoping it would be more rose than musk, or that the musk would be warmer. I think it's not quite for me.