Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Phantom Queen

An epithet of the Morrigan, crow-winged Celtic goddess of war, strife and fertility. Adoration of this Goddess is expressed both through the ecstasy of battle lust and the ecstasy of sexual regeneration. Black orchid, apple blossom, meadowsweet, and rue over Irish moss, hawthorn and red clover.

Phantom Queen is very floral, all orchid & some apple blossom. I have another orchid scent, Goneril, which I do love more & when I compared them the other night, I figured out why.

Phantom Queen is a sweet-smelling orchid. I think the apple blossom may be the cause of that. It's sweet & light at first, but then it gets heavier later (still sweet). Sniffing it on my wrist gave me a bit of a headache. A bit cloying. I think I'm ready to let this imp go.

In recent discussions on this forum, I mentioned that my handle is commonly referred to as one of the aspects of the Morrigan, and so a number of people were quick to point out that I had better try Phantom Queen and that right fast. I had thought about buying an imp with my next order, but when I unexpectedly found myself at Black Broom, and just as unexpectedly found they had a bottle of this...well...how could I resist?

In the Bottle: I will admit that I'm having no little trouble identifying any distinguishing notes, except to say that it's floral, it's sweet, and it's VERY strong. Smells like perfume (and by that I mean one of those exceedingly complex high end perfumes, where it's impossible to make out individual notes) and smells like expensive perfume at that.

Wet, on skin: I have either put on too much, or this has a hell of a throw. I'll have to be careful with this, because it could easily cause a headache. I spent a lot of time trying to decide if I even like this, although in classic BPAL fashion, I can't stop smelling my arm. It smells floral, but also grassy, very crisp and a bit wild. There's something dark about this, which is strange because the notes are all sweet and light.

Dry, on skin: It takes me most of the day to figure out what's the deal with this fragrance. I've never really encountered anything quite like it. It's a soft floral, and in some ways it reminds me of Unseelie, but it's not gentle. In fact I never thought I'd encounter a perfume that smelled of grass and flowers that was so menacing. This is the olfactory equivalent to standing in a gorgeous meadow on a clear day — with the birds singing and the smell of flowers all around you — then stubbing your toe on a rock, and realizing that rock is actually a skull, and further that the tall grass hides thousands just like it.

Conclusion: This is a gorgeous tribute to the Morrigan, and rather uncanny. This is a kick-butt, take no prisoners scent for a woman of incredible confidence, poise and sophistication. I have a character in one of my novels who is an elven warrior-queen of considerable ruthlessness and power. This fragrance makes me think of her to such an extent that I may well wear it to put me in the mood to write about her. Thanks to everyone who told me I should pick this up!

wet: green herbal

dry it becomes a soft, herbal, appleblossom, w/ a getle breeze of orchid

this one is soft, floral innocent scent

ADDED March 21:

the moss, hawthorn and red clover where the only things i smelled, didn't get any appleblossom or orchid (which is fine by me :P ) this one really smells clean and warm, very nice

Phantom Queen:

Wet: Phantom Queen takes on a very sweet smell that reminds me of an apple orchard. It also made me think of A Midsummer Night's Dream, for reasons unknown.

Drydown: Apples and meadows and clover.. this is what I think Ireland might smell like.

Longterm wear: This is a beautiful, complex blend. I agree with Macha's conclusion that there's a little something darker lurking under the surface of all that's green and lush. I love this scent. :P

In the bottle: Green. Very green with some florals in the background. This worries me. All the "Irish" scent worries me because they inevitably will not work on me no matter how badly I want them, too. Moss is also a problem for me, as well as herbs. But on it goes.

Wet: Wood. It smells like wood on me and green things. I smell like a forest as well as...what is that note? Clover. I smell like hawthron and clover as well as some of those other green things. Florals, where are you?

Dry down: Still no florals though there is that vague apple nailpolish remover note I got (sadly) out of The Hesperides. Why do all the "Irish" scents hate me so? I don't need to be able to wear all of them but one would be nice. Hmmm...um...eee. I don't know. Little bit of florals, lots of green and wood type scents on me the combination of which is quickly resulting in me having a headache. This is what happens with me and wood/grass scents. Headache.

Dry: Well, that's a little better, but I still have a headache. And it still has that vague apple nailpolish remover smell. So...noy gonna work. Washing off.

In the vial: It smelled FLOOOOORAL!

On my skin: Wet it was still way over the top sweet florals, probably the orchid taking over. When it dried I liked it much much better. Usually scents that have green or herbaceous notes get weird on my skin, but this one didn't.

A nice floral overall, but not sure if it's me.

This is quite floral, but not an obnoxious floral; it's relatively light and sweet. I think I can catch the apple blossom and red clover. Went out in the car with R. and it didn't make him sneeze, which is good! Staying power is moderate; 5 hours and it's still detectable on my wrist but I'm sure there's no throw now. I'm not sure it's really me, but I'll keep it and test it once or twice more before making a final decision.

In Bottle: Sweet Floral

On Skin: The clover and orchid are in the front… elegant and feminine. The apple blossom is very sweet and fruity. The moss and hawthorn give a nice outdoorsy feel. This smells like a meadow in full bloom. Very pretty… I think florals are starting to grow on me.

This was a freebie from the Lab in one of my recent orders. It is a sweet floral- white florals and white grape maybe? There is a freshness to this blend. It has a familiar "perfume" smell. I'm not sure but it smells like green clover? Maybe some freesia with a hint of apple. This is feminine and pretty but not a must have for me. I'm swapping this one.

In the imp: Sun-warmed grass, and something dark and resinous underneath.

Initial application: The apple blossom - well, more of a straight-up apple note, really - hits straight away and dominates for the first couple of minutes.

Drydown: At first, it's deceptively bright and youthful-smelling, with the apple blossom and a floral note in the lead. But as it dries, it edges into a darker, yet still welcoming scent. I can't quite put my finger on it... I'm getting the moss, and clover, and what I assume to be the rue and hawthorn, in a kind of sun-baked meadow smell, but there's a dark undercurrent. Rather like being in a lovely field that's the site of a long-past, but bloody and still well-remembered battle.

Actually, THAT'S what it's reminding me of... it's not bang-on, because there's no aquatic note to this, but it's evoking the memory of visiting Culloden. Battle, death and regeneration - this really IS very apropos for The Morrigan.

I don't want to paint it as a really dark, heavy scent, though, because it's not. It's extremely alluring, and a 'comfortable' scent, in an odd way. Not the strongest - I've had it on for about four hours and I could use a touchup about now - but I like this a LOT.

Rating (on skin): 0/5

Summarised in a word or two: Dirty orchid.

In the imp/bottle: Black orchid, a hint of apple blossom, and dark, warm red clover.

On skin, wet: Irish moss and black orchid. It's floral, but earthy. Not a fan of moss, so I'm not sure about this.

On skin, dry: A dry, ragged black orchid -- not the beautiful, crisp orchid it started out as. The Irish moss also turns into a kind of wet dirt. So, ragged, torn orchids in wet dirt.

Conclusion: Definitely not a fan of this, as I'm not crazy about smelling of dirt-covered flowers.

Edited by Aredhel

Wet, Phantom queen is green, flowery and appley on me. The fruit balances the florals out nicely. Later on, I get more of a green scent, which is not exactly light, but not overpowering either.. It is just very present. Nice, I'll finish the imp of this, not sure if I would purchase a bottle.

In the Bottle: Flowery apples.

On Skin: Sweet apples. I'm getting the visual image of a summer picnic out in the country, flowers in the air and eating apples in the shade. It's a bit overpowering at this point. Occasionally I get whiffs of something grassy.

On Drydown: Awwww nuts. My skin turned this into soap. Really nice smelling soap but still soap.

Verdict: Since my skin chemistry doesn't like it, no use in arguing with what will not be. Off to the swap pile.

Orchid is a note I love, and I have been trying all of the BPAL orchid scents. The problem is that I think Orchid amps up on my skin, so they all end up smelling pretty much the same. I ended up retesting this with this on one arm and Queen Mab on the other, so that I could contrast and compare. Phantom Queen is Queen Mab's younger sibling. Queen Mab is woody, spicy, but a little on the thin side. Phantom Queen is lush. There is a fertility to The Phantom Queen that is missing in Queen Mab. The apple blossom blends seamlessly with the black orchid to produce a rich fruity floral scent that is similiar to Queen Mab and yet achingly unique. I love them both and can see myself with big bottles of both of them, but I think I like The Phantom Queen just a wee bit more.

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being best, this rates a 4.

Someone earlier used the word "ethereal" to describe this oil. For me, that is exactly right. It's mostly apple blossom scent with a somewhat airy and ethereal feel to it.

It only lasts a short time on me, and is a very close scent - virtually no throw to speak of. Pleasant, but not for me.

Another lovely blend!!

Warm, golden red is what comes to mind...Beautiful orchid is at center stage with the other notes blending in perfect harmony. Slightly green with the perfect touch of floral. Feminine and slightly earthy, but not "girly", really. Almost a designer type fragrance, but SO much better :P

Doesn't seem to have much throw but close to skin, yum! Don't know if I'll get a bottle of this, although it's absolutely gorgeous!!

Phantom Queen. Wow, this is such a powerful scent. It's floral and heavy, but I'm liking it (yes, me, the floral hater). It seems very dark, I see royal purple and black when I close my eyes and smell this. At first it had a harsh perfumey quality and even then I liked it. As it dries down that perfumey note goes away though and I'm left with strong dark orchids and apple slices. There is something dark and sinister here though, undearneath the floral meadows and apples. I would expect the woman wearing this to be strong, independent, and never taken advantage of. She is always calm, collected, and in control. She sees through everyone's garbage and doesn't take crap from anyone. I love her.

And Chloe (my furry purring child) also loves the Phantom Queen. She followed me around even more than usual (didn't think that was possible) the day that I wore this.

In conclusion, phantom queen is a perfect and powerful night time scent... I might even have to get a bottle of this.

In the bottle this smells like a fairly soft and complex floral. It has a darker undertone. I think I can smell some of the moss and herbs a bit too.

On it starts out with a strong darkish floral smell, probably from the black orchid. There is something wild and sensual in this oil, and also something shadowy. At the same time it's sweet and feminine. A very nice mix.

Overall I quite like this oil. I originally bought it as an imp but I fell for it and just got my 5ml on Friday. I think this smell fits in with a view of the Morrigan as a strong sexual and sensual woman, who might just destoy you. I don't think it gets to the war, death, prophecy or sovereignty aspects though... well maybe a little sovereignty.

In bottle: Surprisingly light and fresh. The apple blossom and meadowsweet are gorgeous. It's a lovely floral.

On me: Again, I am surprised by how light it is. The red clover really comes out on the skin, and it is fantastic. I don't get any sharpness from this fragrance at all; in fact, I don't even get much in the way of green. The moss is barely there; I expected it to be far more prominant. Gorgeous orchid. There's something almost berry-like about this fragrance - perhaps the sweetness

Bottle (Imp): Smells like pretty flowers.

Just On: Yes, nice pretty flowers.

An hour or two later: Hmm, watery flowers. Not really soapy, though a hint of it.

Around 6 hours: Just a touch of soap, and nice watery flowers. Not bad.

12 hours: Hmm, a little bit of sweetness to finish things off.

Overall: This one is pretty nice, and I'm finding that some flowers really do work on me.

After reading other reviews: I never really got the clover or herby scents, mostly just the flowers. I still like it.

This is really nice. It's like a cross between Queen Mab & Glasgow in my opinion. When I first put this on the main note is the apple blossom but the orchid quickly chimes in and makes it's presence known. You can definitely get a hint of the irish mosses and clover as well. Very pretty but also "Yes I'm a woman, get out of my way...I'm not afraid to knock you down" kinda feel. Like it alot!

First sniff:Flowery. Can definitely smell the clover in it.

Wearing: Now’s the apple blossoms are coming out. Oh. Now I know what it reminds me of. My mom’s perfume. (Anais Anais)

I like it, and will definitely use up my imp, but don’t think I’ll order more.

In the bottle: Apples, Irish moss, and soap

First on: I smell like a potpourri room spray. I can pick out apples, moss, and a spice of some sort, but the general effect is like I'm wearing Glade.

Drydown: The spice has gone away, and it's back to the apples and moss, which really is a gorgeous combination, but I can't help but feel like I sprayed myself with the air freshener. :P

provenance: lagniappe from the lab. the morrigan rules me on dark nights. how did they know that?

in the bottle: overripe fruit. something sinister, that i can't quite put my finger on.

on my wrist, wet: the fruit is so ripe, it is almost alcoholic. if this were wine, i would say that it was fruity, with hints of apple, and that the terroir was heavy in minerals, flint and moss.

drydown: the fruit is still there, but lightly now. the alcohol is gone. florals weave in and out, but hide a bitter core of something that defies description. it makes me want it, without ever knowing why. :P