Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
violetblue

Single Note: Polyester Spiderweb

I am getting a soft, creamy floral from this - not sure what flower/flowers....jasmine? lily? Can't wait to see other reviews of this one.

Edited by violetblue

So, um, I don't know if I maybe I'm just weird, but it smells like cucumber and the airy/sappy 'green' part of a leaf, then on me it's slightly sweet, then ziploc bags / freshly crinkled saran wrap, then... fades... to something slightly powdery sweet, with a little sappiness still left behind.

It really does smell like plastic, maybe a little of that note in Torn Candy Bag bath oil?

It's a little, on me at least, stomach turning, but only because it's smells so genuinely like tiny wisps of stretchy plastic.

My curiosity got the better of me on this one! I'll keep it though, because, HOARDING

Weeeeeird.... O_O In the bottle it's oddly synthetic, soft, and really not something I want to put on. Upon deep sniffage, I think I'm getting... corn oil?

On my skin, the synthetic oddness starts to evaporate and is replaced by a soft, clean floral I can't quite identify. I'm guessing there's some light musk in this. The fragrance that's left is perfectly wearable, though not really me. The whole experience is pretty cool though, with the way the scent disperses really evoking images of those gossamer strands being stretched out. This is synesthesia at its finest.

Edit: Ya know what? I am getting some cucumber too, in the dry down. Just... weird....

Edit again: This actually ended up as a clean, creamy cucumber on me with whiffs of it remaining for 12 hours. I'm not a fan of cucumber/melon, but this is really lovely. Really glad I took a chance with the imp.

Edited by VetchVesper

Very, very cucumber. Which is really nice, actually! Not too green, and not the plastic smell you might fear from "polyester". Nice, light, fresh smelling.

so far I've just sniffed the decant, but it's a scent memory of halloween holiday plastic decorations at the shopping mall store, spencer gifts. crazy dead-on accurate.

The strongest cucumber and icky plastic. I couldn't even handle keeping it on any longer once it dried, had to wash off ASAP.

Okay, poor little Polyester Spiderwebs gets no love, so I had to review it first of my Weenie decants.

In the vial: Melon? Hope this is not going to be aquatic. Creamy florals like the Lab's snow scents.

Wet: Very synthetic hair spray and plastic smell like the foil bows at Christmas and plastic decorations. My mental image is one of those crazy aluminum Christmas trees we had in the 70s. I agree with the Spencer's store reference.

Drying: Hairspray, plastic, the not quite snow and not quite aquatic notes from BPAL Yule scent: Winter Time. It hovers between floral, aquatic, and maybe metallic. I cannot pin down any specific notes, I guess that is the point, but my olfactory associations include Aquanet hairspray, that smell of new clothes purchased for "back to school," a hint of melon scented hand cream, a light floral such as daffodil, jonquil, hyacinth, narcissus or snow drops.

Late drydown: No notes that I can identify, scent associations are fabric softner, so probably generic musk (not soapy though!), cotton blossoms, the linen note of Sticky Pillowcase without the candy, Aquanet hairspray dried, and the slightly floral notes as above (nonwhite Spring florals, slightly creamy).

Final analysis: This was surprise hit for me. It quite defies categorization, as I would not really lump it in with the floral scents, aquatics, metallic, botanical, or "clean/skin musk" scents, but it certainly has elements of all of those. There is no foody component, wood or resin that I could sniff out.

But, if you wanted a clean scent that did was not high pitched, soapy, aggressively floral or ozoney, this hits the mark as it smells fresh and clean without becoming too much in those areas. It reminds me of Stardust without the white floral aspects (no tuberose) as it is sort of synthetic like hair spray or like the discontinued scent, Asphodel, as it is a ghostly, not white Springy, diaphanous floral or cool aquatic that isn't dime store man body spray, like Wintertime. A synthesis of Stardust minus the white floral aspects, Sea of Glass without the aquatic aspect, plus Sticky Pillowcase, minus the candy. I found myself sniffing compulsively, and not just to figure out the scent as it's quite nice in the drydown. I rather think this would be nice as an unobtrusive clean scent for really hot summer days or wearing when you don't want your scent to be noticeable but you want to smell fresh. The wet, Aquanet phase did make me worry about getting a headache but its just shy of that. This also has layering possibilities. Or, maybe you just want to have that "new clothes" smell. Since I miss the discontinued Asphodel and this sort of reminds me of that scent, I think I will try and upgrade to a bottle. I suggest trying this if you like scents like Sea of Glass, if you are nostalgic for Stardust or Asphodel (or Aquanet!), if you wanted a more complex and natural version of BBW Cottonblossoms, "Clean Laundry", etc.

Source: Decant from TrailerTrashPrincess tested on inside of both wrists

Sillage: slight, it was mostly a skin scent and wear time was better than average, I'd guess 5-6 hours

Edited by sprout

Cucumber, jasmine, stargazer lily or perhaps tuberose and a note that smells kinda plasticky. This one is fresh and plasticky, as opposed to foodie/plasticky which was what Clown White was. Great throw, great wearlength.