Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

The impenetrable darkness of opoponax and vetiver, sliced through with a shiver of mint, white grape, star anise, and pungent frankincense.

In the bottle, this is inky black and smells frightening. On my skin, it becomes almost straight up black licorice/anise with a heavy amount of mentholated tobacco thrown in the mix. Normally vetiver takes over blends for me, but in this one, the anise is by far the star of the bunch. As it drys down, the menthol fades a bit, and the blend becomes slightly sweeter. A very pleasant cologne-ish note starts blooming near the end of the dry down. It reminds me a bit of a more masculine version of Licorice Bat.

I am not usually a fan of either anise, nor menthol tobacco, though this actually dries down really nice. I am pretty sure this one will have a serious fan base with the anise lovers.

wet on skin this smells like a freshly opened package of good quality figs. a little dirty, a little earthy, a teeny bit sweet, but with some zing and a bit of sour. that was nice while it lasted.

briefly had a bout of vinyl-y, pool float plastic with a hint of water hose (i like that smell, though) but it didn't last.

i'd swear there's cedar in this, because there's a goodly hamster cage in there now, after a couple of hours. cedar, my mom's wet cigarette ashes* in a paper bag, and something almost sweet but wrong.

*my mom smokes Salem menthols, the stinkiest cigarette ever.

I love each of the notes in this scent, except for grape, which is an unknown for me.

I tested plagues next to two other bpallers, and this worked on both of them. on me, alas it was a profoundly strong and unsavory warm raisin wine. my chemistry did this blend no favors.

There is something about vetiver + sweet (fruit, wine, chocolate, etc) that just totally reminds me of the smell of the bottle recycling center-- old alcohol aging in the sun :ugh: What an unpleasant scent association..(I refer to it as "wino's backside :lol: ) When this is first applied I'm hit by That Smell quite forcibly.

But as the blend dries down the anise emerges and it's dry and, mixing with the vetiver, becomes almost asphalt-like and I'm suddenly fascinated. I agree with the package of figs description also because there is sweet chewiness too..

This is very dark and somehow both juicy and dry-- there is a feeling in your nose almost like sniffing smoke, and it feels velvety and heavy. I'm very surprised how much I like this one, to be honest. :thumbsup:

Intensely dark, darkly intense. I don't get much mint or grape from this, just lightless resin-soaked vetiver with an edge of anise. It has a touch of sweetness, but even that is dark: more like molasses than sugar. My sweetheart says it reminds him of incense burned at Catholic funerals.

Although I don't smoke, my Mom did, and I remember her Benson & Hedges cigarette boxes were lined with foil paper. And although smoking was gross, I loved the smell of the tobacco-scented foil, and watching her play solitaire with the Benson & Hedges playing cards as we watched TV. That's what Three Dayes smelled like to me: tobacco with a dry, metallic paperiness to it. Oddly pleasant (and it amazes me that I have a pleasant memory of my Mom smoking!), but I would not like to smell like this.

This really is unsettling! Guess it makes a ton of sense for a Plague XD

I agree with TTP in saying I get a hint of a plastic hose type of vibe when it first goes on. The smell is quite nausea inducing but I decided to let it blossom and dry hoping it would change..... But the unsettling smell didn't fade. When it fully dried it smells indeed like something with raisins and sweat. It's sour and just really funky.

This is definitely not a winner!

Edited by Haltija

This smells like old Bourbon, Jack Daniels, and Wild Turkey was splashed on my Skin. :sick: Oh my god it's dark...and as it dries...the vetiver it gets worse. This has got to go!

Noooope nope nope nope nope.

Interesting to read the reviews above mine & see that nearly everyone got the slight, unsettling wrongness of it.

Wet: like breathing in a plastic bag of fake black licorice-flavored licorice whips. While standing in a stinky tobacco shop. That sells menthol cigarettes. With an open styrofoam cup of cheap wine fermenting on a shelf under the counter, because the alcoholic owner tipples between customers.

The person standing next to me at Will-Call said she was mostly getting the mint off my skin. I was mostly getting the licorice and nauseating white wine.

Like, an amazing trainwreck of wrongness on my skin. The Russian judge was laughing too hard to hold up a scorecard.

In the bottle: Somewhat unpleasant, very medicinal and "dirty."

Wet on my skin: The anise comes out right away, smelling like old-fashioned black licorice. Not the plastic-packaged mass-produced stuff, but the real kind you find in glass jars in dedicated candy shops.

Dry: This remains primarily anise on me, inky and black, with an undercurrent of wet, thick spices and something earthy. It's a pungent mixture, but not a bad one in terms of scent. The feel of it, though, is disconcerting. It's actually the first BPAL scent that has been black in colour, inside my mind. Thick, viscous, inky black. Strange. I love it!!!

So on wet this smelled like a raisin. Which I think is the combination frankincense and anise, and something else. Now, it just sort of smells like licorice, vetiver and raisins. It straddles a weird foodie/resinous line for me.

Honestly, it just smells like poisoned raisins. You know, the type that probably are delicious to consume, and then you just keel over dead two hours later with no warning.

Dark, foodie, mysterious.

First impression – like spilled sour wine in an old ashtray.

Skin testing – initial impression plus the undercurrent of whiskey, which is actually an improvement. Whiskey, a splash of wine, and some additional red currents. Not as bad as I suspected. The ashtray does come back though. It seems like there are a wide variety of interpretations of this scent, it certainly is an interesting experience.

In the imp (decant): something sharp followed by menthol cigarettes.

Wet: liquorice. A pack you bought ages ago gone sticky.

Dry: Liquorice and menthol cigs. It's sweet and making me feel a bit sick...

ETA: In the end the liquorice dies off and it's just straight up minty tobacco on me. Definite nope.

Edited by d0gbones

Vetiver and cola at first. Weird. It smells like a 'healthy' cola you used to be able to get in health food stores. I like the cola note, but the vetiver is nauseating and smells like scorched grass and meat. Like a wildfire that burned everything in its path including the wildlife. Not for me.

In the imp: Getting the grape and vetiver here.

Wet on skin: Same - grape and vetiver. With the teensiest bit of mint.

Dried down: Eh, this is mostly vetiver on me right now,

Throw: Not getting much throw of of this one. I am getting little whiffs of grape from time to time, which is nice.

Verdict: ** Yeah, I don't think this one's for me.