Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
annemathematics

They Shall Eate the Residue of that which is Escaped

Dry vanilla mint with rosewood, balsam, green sandalwood, green mate absolute, and sage.

I love this one. vanilla and mint more elegantly aromatic than foody, over a base of warm dry woods and a rich non-herby green element. I can't describe it better because the thrill of it makes me pathetically incoherant.

Eta there is a richness to this scent that is right on the line between wonderful and too much. I could easily see myself overindulging and then not being able to wear it ever again, like too many times on a carnival ride or eating too many sweets/too much greasy food, etc etc. This triggers the part of my brain where something in the horror movie is dangerous but the character can't see it because the beauty has lured them in.

A carnivorous plant that ate bpallers might smell like this. Enticing and delicious but with something sinister underneath. Edited by annemathematics

At first this smells like toothpaste on me. Not going to lie. Lol.

But after a minute or two, you get a woodsy green vibe that's really nice. And then after wearing it for around 30 minutes, I got this "explosion" of an almost sweet, slightly minty vanilla with the green woods in the background.

I LOVE IT. I want a bottle.

Edited by barilace

This is kind of similar to Eldritch Drunken Constellations, but much heavier and sweeter. It has the same bright, fizzy quality of EDC but with a commercial-smelling vanilla mint. To use an example, the combo reminds me of the little green mint candies certain restaurants will give you after a meal, haha. As it dries the sage and balsam mix to provide a wet, green backdrop for the sugary notes. It's definitely not dry or restrained to me. I was hoping for something in the line of How Doth the Little Crocodile, which is a delicately sweet and natural vanilla/mint/resins, but this reads as too candy-ish for me.

This scent is the most amazing of them all in my opinion--it's a wonderful vanilla mint, and it's been a while since I smelled Snowblind, but I remember it smelling like this. Warm, comforting, sweet, and foody without being too much so. If we could nominate a Homecoming queen, er, plague, this one would win the crown (which would probably be made of thorns).

I really thought I liked this at first-- the vanilla mint is so nice, but the rosewood (I think?) gets a little too sour in the background and it starts to turn my stomach a bit :sad: This sometimes happens to me when a "foody" smell is mixed with a "perfume" smell.. my brain just equates it with eating perfume or soap or something. I might give it another go because the vanilla mint is really nice-- very dimensional, whereas I found How Doth The Little Crocodile a little too flat personally.

In the bottle: Dusty, minty vanilla.

Wet on my skin: Much the same as in the bottle.

Dry: Dusty, lightly-spiced woody vanilla and mint. It's a lot prettier than the name would suggest, and it's sort of a warm, foody scent. Interestingly, it is making me a little hungry, which is amusing in the context of this scent being evocative of a ravenous plague of locusts. This is the first of the Plagues series I've tried, and if the rest of them are this nice, I will be quite pleased.

Light vanilla, mint, and then a touch of woods. This smells amazing, and I am hoping that this lasts a little while longer to justify a bottle, but my skin seems to be eating this up. I get low throw and low wear length.

But it smells sooooo good! It definitely beat out About Midnight as my favorite Plague of the moment.

First impression – very much vanilla mint as in the “Lick It” series, but I'm guessing that this one really develops on the skin when the mint blast wares off.

Skin testing – goes on smelling as described above. Vanilla mint lick it. After just a few minutes I think I'm getting the slightest hint of rosewood. It's really mild and adds an interesting dimension to the vanilla mint, a bit of depth. It is used very sparingly, and somehow bridges the sweetness of the vanilla and sharpness of the mint. Not a combination I would have expected to work. Something about the sweet/sour/ astringent of the rosewood combines with the sweet/mint/sharpness and brings it all together.

In the dry down, the rosewood has merged into the vanilla mint, creating a whole new beast out of the whole lot. It's quite lovely and unusual. I can smell the roseyness of the rosewood in there, but the other notes have rendered it an interesting feature rather than the stage hog that it usually becomes. Far more prominent is a sort of sweet, woody, mint. I lump all the green notes in with mint because I'm sure that they are what is making this lovely green note come together and hold rather than fade away. Quite lovely. One of my two favorites from this series.

Starts off as a strong vanilla /mint ala "lick it" series. Mint blast subsides quickly and the lovely vanilla and rosewood peek out. This is so pretty! A tiny shadow of mint is all that's left. Slightly foody, but slightly floral, and hugely beautiful! Another for sure bottle purchase. This is a close second favorite for me to About Midnight.

In the bottle: Vanilla minty goodness.

Wet on skin: Still yummy vanilla mint, like a dry dessert.

Dry on skin, 15 min. later: Now, there's the rosewood I know and love with a nice sandalwood twist and a hit of sage.

10/10, would buy a backup bottle.

In the imp (decant): Something sweet and slightly minty.

Wet: Very green, but non herbal. The sweetness has died down, it's fresher and the mint is more prominent.

Dry: Vanilla and sandalwood with the tiniest kick of mint. A little powdery, but it's fresh rather than dry and overpowering.

Like most of the Plagues, this one really does change a lot as it dries. It's pleasant enough, but sandalwood always makes me ill (yeah, idk either), so I did have to wash it off.

Wet: Creamy rosewood, emphasis on the creamy. There’s a cool green vibe in there too, but it’s not really screaming “mint!” to my nose.

Drydown/Dry: Equal parts vanilla and rosewood, made supple be the lightest touch of sage. Very pale, but complex and grounded. It borders just outside the realm of foodie, smelling a bit dessert-y, but also green and woody. The green tea grows in strength as it dries and is really the perfect compliment to the other notes. Very calming. It stays true (no morphing) into the dry phase.

8.5 out of 10 bones

I amp sage. Sage is savory on me. It smells like the roasted sage in roasted chicken. I should know better. But I don't. I had the super hope of joy and awesomeness that this scent would drown out the savory roasted sage note with all the lovely balsam, vanilla, and mint. Well...it didn't. I smell like a Vanilla Mint Roasted chicken. I think Vanilla Ice probably ate this during his career to stay relevant for so long. So here we are...vanilla mint roasted chicken. I wonder if that was the original title of "Ice, Ice, Baby"? :tongue:

I'm getting dry vanilla and mint as described. Lovely. Sage comes in, so we get a vanilla/mint/sage combo. Clear, dry and crisp, like a desert with an oasis close by. I really like this and may track down more. Nothing is as good as Green Tree Viper for a lovely mint though, so ill think on it....

eta alas, turns to herbal for me in the end.

Edited by milo

Not sure if its the green sandalwood or the balsam that it steering this into slightly too green and loud on me. I love sandalwood however I think my skin chemistry sometimes doesn't do it justice. Initially this is a soft mint and vanilla. To my displeasure, the drydown gets progressively stronger and greener. It becomes a sharp and nose prickling note that evokes men's cologne. Ultimately this is too masculine for me to wear, and I usually love leather, wood, metal, citrus or fougere. Matcha was absent for me. I've retested three times, hoping for different results.

I'm disappointed because I anticipated a more foody, perhaps lacey scent with the sandalwood and vanilla combo. Never judge a blend by it's notes is my take home lesson here. I'm hoping aging well mellow it out, but my expectations are pessimistic.

In the decant: Light, green, and minty. OK, I'll go with it.

On me, wet: My first thought is, WOW that's got some throw, and that throw is MINTY FRESH. The vanilla comes out after a while, though, and tempers the green-ness and mint so it doesn't smell so much like high-end toothpaste. Also, I'm getting the wood and sage now. I'm liking this a lot more as it dries down, I'm just not sure WHEN I'd wear it. ...And after about half an hour it becomes The Vanilla Show and pretty much turns, straight up, to baby powder. You know, maybe my skin just wants vanilla to turn into baby powder.

On me, dry: Nope, don't think so. It was really interesting right at the beginning, but then, baby powder 100%. Dang it.

I liked this in my decant when I opened it. Once I tested some, it really reminded me of something else that I just couldn't figure out. On my second try today I realized it smells like Avon Skin So Soft, a bug spray that my mom used when I was little. That's not really a bad thing, just not what I expected from a plague of Egypt!

In the imp: Mmmmm..... mint and green tea

Wet on skin: Mint.... and...the green tea is kind of turning into rubber now.

Dried down: Cool mint, with a warm background of rosewood and green mate.

Throw: I don't get any throw from this until I get close to my arm.

Verdict: **** This is very nice, but I'm no sure if I want a bottle or not. I just don't think I would reach for it very often.

In the bottle, I smell vanilla mint and a green sweetness.

On my skin, They Shall Eate is a beautiful light green-smelling vanilla mint. This reminds me very much of Green Tree Viper, but without the Snake Oil, and instead with very lightly balsamic woods deepening it. The blend is fantastic, and I can't stop sniffing it while it's wet.

Within a half hour, the vanilla mint throw drops close to the skin. The mint is now very soft, and it has quickly become a barely there scent.

Two hours later, I barely smell it on me.

Very soft, edible mint. People have compared it to the Lick It series, but I find this much more pleasant and less “toothpaste”-scented. The greenery is present but light. Only when it’s dry can I get any of the sour rosewood and greenery mentioned above. This is surprisingly masculine upon drydown, though definitely not unwearable for a woman. Not very strong.

For me I get a sadly uncomplicated but still lovely soft vanilla-mint. Very little throw but lasts a decent length of time.

Comparison: those little white mint christmas candies shaped like chocolate chips with the red and green sprinkles on the bottom.

Gosh, I like this a lot. This is minty, herbal, and just a little creamy. I think mate may be a new favorite note for me. It's less perfumey/spa-like than green tea; it's more like what actual green tea smells like. I don't get as much of a foodie butter-mint as others have mentioned, this is leaning more towards the cool herbal-green side for me. It's refreshing and lovely. Rosewood amps to high heaven on me but it's really in check here. Green sandalwood is a new one for me, and it's going a little bit powdery like sandalwood can do. Not in a bad way.

Like many green scents this has almost no throw on me, but it's still lovely.