Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
mystery213

Blood Throughout All the Land

Olive wood, acacia, and juniper, stone and clay, all thick with blood and crusted with dust.

When first applied, this does have some similar overtones to the GC scent Blood, but sharper, with more dustiness and less sweetness. The stone note holds a solid background to the scent, and then seems to morph into a slightly anise smelling combo note. I do not get much for any woodsiness from this blend at this point, but there is a vetiver type note lurking that was not expected.

On dry down this becomes very dusty and has some of the smell of dry clay, and a bit of the woodsiness appears. The sharpness of the juniper also makes a slight appearance. Only the faintest note of sweetness is hiding beneath all of the dust and clay.

This was a surprise like for me. I was expecting herbal aquatic meh, but it was incredibly different on me.

It started with a cola note, that warmed to a Blood Popsicle-ish/dragons blood note, and then settled into a champaka/carnation-y spiced soapy musk. Fairly simple, but pleasing.

Sniffed wet, I smell blood on top of sharp metallic notes. Uugh, and something here is too sweet again like it was in Fire Mingled. Ozonic notes with sweetness just do not work for me. I think juniper is the culprit since it's definitely a woodsy sweetness, but it does kind of remind me of dragon's blood (which I dislike). This is like a spicy soapy men's cologne + dragon's blood. It's another one listed as dry but is anything but to me. Almost reads like it has red musk. Not me at all.

Dust, clay, dragon's blood and a touch of gin. I find this one mildly disturbing. It has the same white chalky dust note that Clive Barker's The Day Burned White, which I find well... creepy.

So take that dust, mix it with some blood so you get a mud mixture, and that's more or less where I find myself.

It smells like the title implies, and its super ominous and apropos and while a great olfactory experience (in the same way that great horror movies are great, even when you're scared!), its not really a perfume in my mind. It's more like WHAM! Let's drop you off in a really horrific scene in a movie and watch you realize that YES, you are in a really horrible terrible place.

First impression – sort of medicinal and green, also a bit sour/astringent smelling. I think it's mostly the olive wood and juniper.

Skin testing – a little bit of green, a little bit of vicks vapo rub, a little bit rooty, a little bit sour wood. Even when it mellows out a bit it still smells rooty and sickly green. The notes just clash in an unpleasant way. Mellows out a bit and sweetens up. The “blood” is coming up and saving this blend. It's still not good, but it's a lot better. There are probably at least 10 other "blood" blends that smell better than this, so it brings nothing necessary to my collection.

Wet: Is there such a thing as pale vetiver? I’m smelling vetiver, but it’s lighter, thinner than usual. I suppose it might be a combination of the clay and blood and olive wood. I’m also getting something ozone-y and a touch of citrus. It’s equal parts earthy and aquatic.

Drydown: Clean and dirty, green-grey and clear. The olive wood comes into prominence, grounding and balancing things with its citrussy woodiness. The stone and clay smell cold and unmoving. It's definitely eery, like the after effects of a natural disaster. The dust note works beautifully, lightly tying the other notes together. There’s a gentle sweetness keeping things from going to gritty.

Dry: There are some heavy notes in here, but the overall effect is atmospheric, almost airy. Windswept perhaps. Slightly woody, slightly dirty, slightly dark, and very thin. It’s probably not for everyone, but I quite like it!

8.5 out of 10 bones

In the imp (decant): I get juniper, everything else is a jumble because this one's straying from my roses and resins comfort zone.

Wet: same as above. Quite sharp and woody.

Dry: Juniper and slight cedarwood. It's masculine and I'm not getting the blood or clay.

The clay eventually comes out as the juniper calms down. I'm starting to like it, but it's still not quite right, so we'll see how it ages.

No dust detected, this was mainly wood and resin for me. I've no frame of reference for what olive wood smells like, but the wood note here is aces. I would have predicted that the blood accord in this would have been amped by my unique and frustrating at times chemistry but it's very subtle. There's a hint of leather, I'm guessing a resin. It isn't overwhelming dragon blood like I thought. Also, this is not dusty, dry or musty either. Acacia evidently per fragrantia database is mimosa. I think I can distinguish that, but more so it lightens and mellows the juniper, which I love even if it can be sharp and spikey. Here, it's very sweet and evergreen.

All in all I am pleasantly surprised to like this decant. I'll retest to be certain but this could become a bottle purchase. I love juniper and it's the star here with a lovely wood support of I'm guessing olive wood, and the acacia floral, with a hint of DBR and whatever is the clay notes. It's a mellow, sweet, woody resin with hints of blood, leather, stone, and ghostly floral. I love the complexity here. Little throw but it lasts and doesn't morph very much after the early drydown.

Edited by sprout

In the imp: Bitter, bitter woods.

Wet on skin: Well it's more acidic than bitter. Not so bad.

Dried down: As it dries, the woods come out more, it's a little drier, more incensy.

Throw: CThere's a little bi of throw to this

Verdict: *** Not bad at all, but I really just don't see myself reaching for this very often.

on me it's earthy (like clay, not dirt) with a lemon bite. It's musty and sharp at the same time.

blood comes out a bit later, mingling with the rest, but it's not a typical dragon's blood scent...it's more like the blood from the Ragnarok series.

maybe a hint of the wood..or maybe the "wood" is the lemony bite?

edit - by day's end it's turned soapy on me, but the rest of it is still there beneath the soap

Edited by Roogna

Ooh I actually really love this one! I'm bad at detecting notes but immediately upon application I smelled dusty, woodsy blood... which is amazingly pleasant! I need to try the rest of the plagues!

The clay note is very distinct as is the juniper and the olive wood.

The blood kind of sweetens things up a bit.

It's very unique and quite nice. I'd love to smell this one on an outdoorsy rugged type.

Edited by sarandipitee

This starts out as a dry, grassy vetiver(without an actual "dust" note). There may be some sage in here as well, but this is mainly vetiver on me at the beginning. Thankfully, it isn't the kind that smells like bbq on me. It stays this way for about two hours. At about the two hour mark, balsamic and slightly spicy acacia joins in. The acacia in this smells almost like a carnation to my nose. Shortly after the acacia appears, so does the dragon's blood. For about 30 minutes the dragon's blood mixes with the vetiver to create a slightly rubbery odor. It's a little off putting, but not so bad that I need to wash it off. Olive wood mixes in at about the time that the rubber scent disappears, and it is sweetly woody with a tiny bit of a lemon undertone.

About three hours after application, this becomes a much more complex scent. Dragon's blood smells like sweet lilacs on my skin, and it is doing it here, but faintly. Piney juniper comes out at this time as well, but it isn't a screeching pine forest or gin. It's just lending a bit of a sharp note to contrast with the sweetly balsamic ones. The vetiver becomes smokier, but never turns into a bbq. I don't smell clay or dust (disappointing), and I don't get any of the ozone that others seem to be getting, and I amp dryer sheets with ozonic scents. I also don't get any stone, which makes me sad. I bought this because I wanted to smell like dusty clay and stone. I'm not terribly upset, though. Even though it's not what I was expecting, it's still very nice. 

Ultimately, it is a dry, non dusty grass, wood, and slightly smoky scent with faint floral notes. It has some sweetness to it after drydown, but it isn't cloying. It's perfectly unisex. I like it. I think it would layer beautifully with other oils that need a bit more grounding. 

4 out of 5 stars because I miss my stone and clay.

P.S. I think some people may consider the dry grassiness of vetiver dusty, but when I think of dust, I think of orris. If this has orris in it, I don't smell it.