Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A tragedy in one act: pale sandalwood threaded with a vanilla filigree, bitter green cognac, white tobacco, and Roman chamomile, stained by a splash of black tea and the deceptively sweet juice of belladonna berries.

Beautiful Death is part of the Lace family of scents, which I would have recognized immediately upon smelling even if Beth hadn't said so. I love the Laces, so of course I needed this. :wub2:

It's very well blended, so I don't get a lot of vanilla though I can tell it's there. I actually love it when vanilla acts as more of a supporting player rather than taking over, as it can sometimes be too sweet for me.There is a certain sweetness here, but it's only very slightly fruity. Also present are the very distinct Lace-y elements of cognac and tea, but otherwise everything just blends into a lovely, elegant, very Victorian scent. No distinct sandalwood or Roman chamomile or (surprisingly) tobacco to my nose, though the latter is almost certainly lending itself to the 'Lace' aspect of this scent.

I'll quote here what Beth said about it on FB:

"I made the scent for myself, because I wanted something corpse'y and bittersweet for spring. It's in the Lace family." And, "...the belladonna berry accord has a blackcurrant feel to it, but a little sweeter. I think you'll like it."

I definitely do, Beth. xoxo

:evol:

Absolutely gorgeous. I'm definitely amping the tobacco in this blend, but the gorgeous vanilla and fruits in this tone it down and make it smell so elegant. Beautiful!

Edited by pinkstardust420

I agree with OctoberGwen that it's very much a member of the Lace family (I can smell the same base lace element that I get in Black Lace, Red Lace and Autumn Lace here as well).

One of the notes is acting a bit powdery on me right now, but the other Laces did the same thing on me in their first year as well. Those aged into glorious scents, and I can immediately tell that Beautiful Death will do the same. The tea note isn't overpowering, but rather adding a bit of fresh 'sweet tea' to the blend. The belladonna berry juice is slightly fruity mulled wine-like to me instead of whole mashed berries and this makes me super happy because fruits and I usually don't go well together.

Am super happy I took a chance on this and am going to cellar it away until next year when it'll become perfection. :wub3:

ps. Tobacco and chamomile are normally death notes for me in many other blends, but neither is giving me any grief here (if either of those are holding you back). Basically, if you love any of the above named laces, you'll wish you got this too.

pps. And..... it triggers a migraine on me... :cry2: Damn my allergies :frustrated:

Edited by rawgirl75

Tobacco, cognac, sandalwood and lace. This one is dark, brooding and reminds me to Black Lace without being the same. I really amp up the sandalwood and lace on wet, and it dries down to a tobacco/sandalwood/lace bit, which is quite nice. I get maybe a tinge of vanilla after about two hours.

Dark, gothy, brooding.

This one is very darkly elegant; certainly a little corpse-y as Beth wrote!

I get mostly tobacco and black tea with overtones of sweet berries that calm down a bit after a while, but remain a fresh element in the scent.

I am not overly familiar with the Laces, but from the few I have experienced, I would say this is definitely a Lace as well. A dark Lace, to be sure, but very elegant, like something a black widow might wear to a tea party at Edward Gorey's house. :D

While it is not something I would wear super often, I am glad I sprung for a bottle. It will be perfect for halloween type events and just days when you feel like going a little goth.

A lot like Black Lace when wet, but thehres something 'green' as well. Dries to pretty much Black Lace. Maybe a bit more harsh, and it is a bit more sour. Ill stick to BL:-D

I absolutely love this blend!! From the opening first impression to the final lingering caress on my skin, it's pure gorgeousness. On me, it's that hard to find combination of fresh AND sexy. Which makes it versatile for AM-PM wear. I don't get the corpse-y reference on my skin..? What I do know is this is one I live to slather and huff. 💗

In The Bottle: The vanilla-cognac-tobacco trifecta that I expect from any good "Lace" scent.

Wet On Skin: More of the same, but with the black tea making a distant- but distinct -appearance. It's reminding me quite a bit of Black Lace at this stage.

Dry Down: This has the soft, slightly sweet feel of Tattered Lace but the cognac edge of Black Lace, without being a dead ringer for either.

In All: I am understanding what others were echoing when Beth talked about this being a "Spring Scent". There's a distinct ennui that comes with the wet cold earth warming up that's altogether different than the dry earth of autumn about to lay fallow. As usual, Mme Moriarty nails it in all the most beautiful ways.

A love addition to the Lace family. :hug:

In the bottle: This is a goth spring in a bottle! Very well blended scent. With each sniff, I get a different note.

Wet: The berries and the chamomile come forward. The vanilla is a supporting player.
The dry-down A touch of bitterness from the green cognac keeps the sandalwood from being too smooth, along with the black tea. I like this, but it may need to go in a scent locket, as I like the cold sniff the best. :)
Edited by thekittenkat

This is another of Beth's wonderful scents in her "Lace" series. As always, she captures the feel of being veiled for a Victorian funeral - only this one you become the corpse instead of the mourner. There is a dryness to this lace scent, and just a tad hint of something not-living. It is beautiful!

This perfume is SO ME.

I had never smelled any of the laces before, but I was frottled a sniffy of mourning lace and also bought a bottle of pumpkin lace along with this...and I can smell the slight similarity of a linen smell.

On me I don't smell the green cognac or the belladonna juice. In all honestly it smells like vanilla, cigar, burnt sugar, old linen and tea which is wonderful!

This will be worn a lot this Fall!

Wet: I get a lot of fruitiness from the berries, initially, which smell a lot like red currant to my nose. There's also a hint of floral to this that may be coming from the chamomile. After a second though, the tobacco comes forward, and boy is it good. It's overlaid with creamy vanilla, and I cannot stop huffing my wrist. My instinct is to immediately slather myself in this. Must. Hold. Back. I would wager that the tobacco in this is the same as SN French Tobacco. Eyes rolling back in your head, good.

Dry: The tobacco, berries and vanilla all come into a beautiful balance. This is so very lovely. One of the lighter tobacco blends I have. The addition of berries brightens it up, and makes me feel like this will make a great summer tobacco scent.

Sweet berries, chamomille and the dryness of sandalwood, complete with good whiff of tobacco flotting around!

The vanilla is subtle in the background and add a creamy quality. Cognac is here too as my skin looove booze note in general ( love cognac scent!) haha

So perfect...this indeed worthtly of the Lace familly which I'm a big fan of :3

My first official HG ♡

This is another scent that I never reviewed before! I thought I had, but it's not here. So will remedy this. 

I pulled this bottle out for today, because we had a gorgeous sunny and unseasonably warm weekend, followed by a gray chilly windy day today. It really put me in the mood for a spring scent with a gloomy edge. It's so lovely. This really evokes an earth scent without Beth's prominent graveyard dirt note. On my skin this wears as a dark Berry with the drydown of sandalwood and tobacco holding steady. It always makes me feel happy when I wear it. As far as being in the Lace family, yes I get that, but this one wears so much better on me than most of the Laces. I love this.