Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
HerbGirl

The Time of Gold Bath Oil

Orange blossom and vanilla orchid with frankincense, rockrose, golden sandalwood, gilded cedar, and yellow lily.

Short review of first impressions:
in bottle: orange blossom and cedar
on skin: cedar. Maybe a hint of sandalwood and frankincense
Dry on skin: cedar, lily, sandalwood and frankincense, orange blossom in that order from strongest to lightest.

I love cedar but i think this blend would have been perfect without it...seems to be out of place and needily screaming for attention. :-/ i am hoping it will age out a bit...will do a full after shower moisturizer test tomorrow. :-)

ETA: this is beautiful as a moisturizer and about as spring-like as it gets! The cedar is a bit more subdued now...its all about the lily, sandalwood and orange blossom. I layered Black Lily over this two days ago and it was beautiful. Honestly i am surprised there isn't more love! Edited by Herb Girl

Lily soap, sandalwood and orange blossom. Actually, this smells like a soapier and more floral version of Belle Epoque. And the soapiness breaks my heart because I adore Belle Epoque. But part of what makes me love Belle Epoque is that smoky quality that just isn't in this blend for me.

Bah humbug.

i am skin testing this, not using it in the bath. it's whoa! orange blossom with some cedar and lily. it does smell very orange/yellow/gold to me. it tickles my nose when i smell it on my skin, almost making me sneeze. the vanilla orchid is in the background. i do get that slight lead-like scent from the cedar but not too bad. i think i am really amping the lily and cedar maybe, because it's giving me a bit of a headache. i really do love orange blossom, but i think the added cedar just pushes it over the top for me, at least at first. after it's been on my skin for about 10 minutes, it's more palatable. the cedar has softened and the orange blossom is so pretty. it smells like a classic scent to me, from maybe the 40s or 50s (?) but definitely has that classic feel.

Edited by theseagrows

I'm an orange blossom fan, so I was quite interested to try this one. Right away, I recognize the orange blossom in the bottle. On my skin, strange things seem to happen. The resins dominate, and the orange blossom is in the background. I wish the vanilla flower and orange blossom came out more, and the resins less. The whole effect is not sweet, but a rather reedy, planty smelling orange blossom blend. Not a fan, and glad I only got a decant of this one.

Sweet lily backed by a dry sandalwood and cedar, without a trace of orange blossom. As it dries on my skin, I get more of the woody smells overtaking the florals, and thennn lots of orange blossoms- hooray! It's like a cedar log in the woods covered in flowers. It really is springlike, as Herb Girl mentioned.

The Time of Gold is strong on the orange blossom, lily, and vanilla orchid—so springy! The other notes help make this feel seamless, adding complexity and depth. This does smell gold, and I agree that it has a really classic feel. It's very pretty, and I bet it would be great layered with a darker perfume like Snake Oil. I'll enjoy using this up!