Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
macabre_fae

These Were the Four Loves Faded Bath Oil

Coconut, white jasmine, and mint-green moss with honeysuckle, tuberose, and white amber.

I honestly didn't pay much attention to this one when the Lupers were posted because I don't like mint notes and thought it would be too out of my element since I mostly wear foody scents, but I am very pleasantly surprised and am so happy I received a decant of this!

Firstly, I smell no mint at all (yay!). The Jasmine is the most prominent note, followed by honeysuckle, moss, and the amber. I loveeee the jasmine, it's just gorgeous, fresh and sweet. The honeysuckle and amber create this beautiful soft golden halo around the jasmine, and the moss is very subtle, adding freshness to the blend. I love this and can't wait to get my hands on a full bottle.

If you love jasmine, you'll want to invest in a few bottles. Just save some for me. :P

Coconut, aquatic moss, honeysuckle and tuberose. This one is almost tolerable, considering it has both coconut and tuberose, which almost always end up behaving badly on me. But in general this is a luxurious, cool bath water with just enough floral notes to take it on a tropical edge. Think of romance on a tropical island. This is what it reminds me of.

Soft, sultry, tropical.

ooh i like this quite a bit! i think I am getting mostly tuberose, jasmine and coconut and the amber gives a nice soft backing note. no mint here. this is very heady and tropical. it smells like jasmine on a warm summer evening , which is when I plan go use this most. it just screams warm summer nights.

Edited by theseagrows

Origin: Straight from the Post

Initial Thoughts: The notes list included several favorites (honeysuckle, coconut, white jasmine), an iffy note (moss), and an unknown. Ever since I discovered that the "white" rule with me and musks also applied to patchouli, I've been eager to try white amber since it falls in that same family of notes that usually amp horribly on me.

In the Bottle: Warm jasmine. This is like a solitary garden corner, shady but with sun dappling through the leaves above. It's really well-blended - all the other notes just cluster up and support it.

On My Skin: It's a slower process than with the perfumes and/or the darker ambers, but the white amber does step up and make its presence felt. On the other hand, it brings the honeysuckle and coconut with it, which is a win.It tilts toward a summery scent without going all the way.

Verdict: I think I will be able to use this up, eventually.

I saw the note list for These Were the Four Loves Faded, and I was like...what will this smell like? It's such an interesting mix. Well, I can tell you, it smells damn good. At the top there's what seems like a straight split of coconut and white jasmine...so tropical, as z_z says above. The mint-green moss smells a bit like neon green oakmoss. The honeysuckle, tuberose, and white amber stretch that horizon a bit more and add layers to the scent spectrum. All in all, this smells a bit like spending a week at a luxury resort in the Caribbean, and I am all for anything that evokes that association on a cloudy workday morning. :)

this is a strange and wonderous creature, difficult to describe. in the bottle and first applied (I've so far been using this mostly in my hair) I can smell the coconut and honeysuckle over a foundation of "creamy, pale neon green, and 'other.'"

the coconut is not sunscreenish nor is it foodie. there is a touch of brightness from the mint, which is otherwise subtle and not at all toothpasty (I have honestly never had a bpal mint evoke toothpaste).

something in this scent reminds me of the green musk in palus nebularum, laughter of loki, the frogges plague scents. i will definitely try layering this with palus in the very near future.

this morning on the way to work i stopped in to grab coffee. the kid who took my order was leaning across the counter to get closer to me.

"are you wearing some kind of amber resin?"

it was this stuff, in my hair..."yes, I am. sorry if it's too strong."

"no. no it's amazing. absolutely amazing."

he kept huffing at me during the remainder of our transaction.

he's right. the amber in this combination is unusual and remarkable. very different from the other resiny blends I am prone to hoard.

a few reviewers have gotten a tropical feel from this. for me, this is otherwordly. a beach on a foreign planet found in a 60's dell fantasy fiction paperback.

if this pops up on etsy, please save me a bottle!

So very pretty. <3 Splurged and bought this off Etsy.

I get a loooot of honeysuckle at first, which is fine by me. The tuberose and jasmine come in to play support roles for me, and come across as soft and gentle white floral. I don't get much mint, coconut, and the amber I only detect as a soft, warm fuzziness. On dry down, this becomes much more mossy and the jasmine becomes more present. It then reminds me of New Orleans, Bayou, and Jazz Funeral, that sort of mossy, languid, fresh water aquatic that mingles with the sweet florals. Lovely, drooping wet white flowers, moss, and honeysuckle.