Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

STARTLED TOAD

Golden amber and coconut with frankincense, frothy vanilla, carnation, sweet aged patchouli, and lemongrass.

I looooooooove this.

Startled Toad is like a who's who of notes I adore: coconut, lemongrass, amber, patchouli...I get all of those (and they blend together beautifully), along with just a touch of frankincense's bite and maybe a hint of vanilla. The carnation is just adding some spicy sweetness.

This is really lovely, not too sweet, and smells like classic Shunga to me. I am so glad I bought a bottle. :wub2:

Wow, there is a lot going on here.

At least half the name is spot on 'cause I was a bit startled when I first put it on.

Wet: Startled Toad hit me hard. There is a heaviness to this scent I think is caused by so many notes contending for the top spot. On top of that the citrus is overpowering. It feels like coconut, carnation, and lemongrass are all fighting to be the champion. All three are really strong notes in Startled Toad which worries me because Carnation and I are not always friends.

Dry: So, coconut decides to stop fighting. Instead, it sort of melds with carnation, so ends up a spicy, creamy carnation that's actually really nice. You'd think coconut and carnation wouldn't smell too good together but the coconut tempers carnation's bite. Its only then that I detect amber, vanilla, and a touch of frankincense in the background adding a layer of complexity to an already complex scent. Oh, and before I forget, I also get whiffs of mixed berries. No fruit notes so where is the berry scent coming from? I also never get any patchouli whatsoever.

If that was all to Startled Toad this scent would be great but lemongrass spoils it for me. It never seems to stop fighting. It's dissonant with the other notes, I think, because its so damn strong. I like a strong citrus note but this lemongrass is overwhelming. Because of that, there is an underlying funk to the lemongrass I just can't get past. If only it were a bit weaker. :ugh:

I don't know if lemongrass gets stronger or weaker with age but I am going to try aging this and see if the lemongrass pipes down. If aging mellows out lemongrass I think this has potential to be a really beautiful scent.

Lotsssss of lemongrass. This smells a little bit like the citronella candles we used to use in my house to ward off mosquitoes, albeit sweeter. I think the amber is adding depth to/warming the scent up so the candle-y vibe is still there. Don't really smell coconut/vanilla/anything else at first. Gets sweeter (vanilla?) and more wearable with time, but never quite loses that citronella quality. I think I like it, lol

I wanted this to have a similar feel to Pouring Strains of Sacred Song, in terms of the coconut and resins. But they actually aren't that similar. Startled Toad, wet in the bottle, the patchouli dominates. On my skin, the amber and patchouli come to the forefront, with the lemongrass and carnation after. To be honest it actually reminds me of Bow and Crown of Conquest. There's something about the carnation, vanilla, and maybe amber combo that reads almost like leather to me. I suspect this will age gloriously, it's already good, and just been out of the mailbox for a day. The carnation was the iffiest note to begin with, and creamy carnation isn't really my thing.

Edited by AmandaKay

When it's first applied I feel like I'm smelling the sharp bite of ginger. In just a few moments though the amber and vanilla are blending with the carnation beautifully. The spicy carnation is really coming forward and the vanilla and frankincense are providing a lovely sweet base. I don't usually care too much for lemongrass but here I think it's keeping the sweet notes from going over the top. Something in the carnation is reminding me of cinnamon without being cinnamon, if that makes any sense. Startled Toad has a lot more dimension to it than it might initially seem. The notes keep playing with each other in different ways and all of the stages are delightful.

I really enjoyed this scent! It was an impulse buy for me, because carnation and lemongrass both can go either way for me.

No worries, though- it's a warm, tropical-ish glow of resins with no note really dominating. I love the label art! (Yeah, I'd be startled too, if I was just catching flies and some massive penis dropped out of the sky).

The lemongrass in this keeps this scent grounded and from becoming too sickly sweet. Wet: The lemongrass and coconut battle it out on my skin for control. So far the coconut is winning. :sick: Dry: In the end: the lemongrass, frankincense win out with the barest hints of coconut. Final verdict: Glorious coconut suntan lotion rolling around in lemon. Meh. Not a huge fan but I do adore the label art. :D

I'm really digging this toad.

It starts out wet with very much equal distribution of amber, coconut, and frankincense.

As it starts to dry the vanilla and lemongrass come out to play a bit, but the lemongrass here is not BAM IN YOUR FACE lemongrass like Ectoplasm for example. It just adds a nice lemony vibe in with the amber and coconut. Shortly after dry down - I get a hint of the carnation and the sweet patch, but I can only really detect them if searching for them.

It gets a little powdery (mix of the frank and patch?) after 15 minutes, but that seems to back down after another half hour and I get a lemony coconut amber.

I really like this and will be testing it further to decide if bottle worthy.

ETA - Just updating to confirm that I did indeed buy a bottle of this one. So yummy. Coconut Lemon Amber Vanilla loveliness.

Edited by TallGrrl78

Oh, Startled Toad. I so want to love you because of your label art. There, I admitted it. You are by far my favorite Shunga artwork. Possibly ever.

Alas, you contain coconut. And while your coconuttyness cannot possibly compete with the hot mess coconut debacle of Ivory Vulva in my skin, you still seem intent on starting some sort of riot. I get coconut, amber, resinous frankincense and a spicy drop of patchouli (which is what I think is happening with the carnation and patchouli in the background teeming up for some sort of alliance or nefarious purpose, still to be determined which one it is). You don't smell unpleasant, at least not compared to Ivory Vulva, but perhaps I am damning you with faint praise? You're really a resinous, ambery coconut with enough elements to keep your coconut present but in check. Average throw, average wear length.

Amber, resin, coconut.

In the interest of full disclosure, I bought this one for the bottle art first and the notes second. That toad always cracks me up, but I'm not saying no to amber, vanilla, carnation, patch, and lemongrass either.

In the imp: Promising, very promising. My beloved amber is dominant, along with vanilla and a blessedly non-foody coconut. Carnation and perhaps some patchouli provide some spicy mystery in the background.

Wet: Hoo boy, THERE'S the lemongrass everyone has been mentioning! Combined with the coconut and vanilla the result is certainly startling, but not in a bad way (nor, surprisingly given the description, in a foody way). Alas, the amber, frankincense, carnation, and patch have faded to pretty much nil.

Dry: And the startlement continues! It's now a wonderful summery scent, coconut dominant but in a lovely amber-vanilla-sunscreen kind of way (and this is from someone who hates coconut-flavored anything), over a patchouli and/or carnation base. The lemongrass is still in evidence, but now in a softer, subtler form.

It should be noted that my boyfriend commented that this one smells like pumpkin pie, but I think he was picking up on the spicy-sweet combination of what strahlend described as "cinnamon without being cinnamon."

Wet, there's definitely some dirt-esque patchouli in there. I wondered for a second if it was vetiver, which is good - vetiver is awful on me but the patchouli that tries to masquerade as it works well when there are other things to sweeten it up. There's definite lemon going on, I think it's partly the lemongrass (which is not screaming) mixing with the frankincense. I think I'm getting maybe a slight hint of carnation and amber, but no coconut to speak of.

And now a few minutes later I'm getting a sort of dirty dishwater scent. It comes and goes, but is there - I think it may be the lemongrass doing that, I've smelled it in something else before. When it's gone, this is a nice slightly-spicy lemon perfume, with the patchouli way back almost undetectable in the background.

And now a few minutes later, I'm still getting the dishwater faintly but it's also making me think of the beach. It's not coconut sun lotion, and I can't even describe why it makes me think of the beach, but it does. Sun, sand, beach. I think the patchouli is starting to come out just a little, and it's helping things, though there is a hint of soapiness.

I'm going to have to try this again in a few days, and maybe give it a full-day wear, because it is ALMOST fantastic. It's just a teeny bit too soapy, but otherwise fresh and warm, a hint spicy, just a touch of lemon. Unfortunately no coconut to speak of, but my skin seems to eat coconut up within a few minutes.

EDIT: Wore it for a full day - much better! It's still a little, well, ODD for a bit at the beginning, but it lasts all day and the coconut sticks around more than I'd expected. I'm still undecided on a bottle, however, largely because there are just so many I want bottles of from this update. If money was no object I would be buying a bottle of this, however.

Edited by AmyAngel

In the decant: ...Delicious sweet potato pie? This is odd. I can pick out the vanilla, patchouli, lemongrass, and coconut on their own, but all together, that's definitely some kind of autumn pie, like sweet potato or particularly spicy pumpkin pie.

On me, wet: Patchouli and lemongrass come out REAL fast, and it's mostly those two and vanilla and maybe a little coconut, which is super interesting! I'm glad this isn't that one coconut note from Body, Remember and Lovers and a Fan that turns into plastic on me. This smells like the same patchouli that's in Vixen, actually, and I'm kind of excited to see how it dries.

On me, dry: I really like this. It's mostly lemongrass, amber, patchouli, and coconut with not a whole lot of vanilla, and it kind of just remind me of what I liked about Ivory vulva. It's got decent throw and it's salty-spicy and just a little bit sweet. Definitely using up the decant, if not getting a bottle.

This is ... odd. In the wet stage, there is a ton going on here, especially with the coconut and the lemongrass warring against each other. That is mostly what I smell, with a touch of ginger. But on the drydown? Slightly sweetened lemongrass.

Lemongrass is my foe and I keep being mean to myself and trying blends with it in it just HOPING that maybe something will work.

This was one of those cases. I was hoping every other note would take over and leave the lemongrass as a subtle note, nope! Wet on me it was all lemongrass and a faint sweetness and I just couldn't even handle it. Dry a little of the carnation came forth and gave it a spiciness but it didn't change it enough. Not for me at all

I think I have finally learned my lesson.

I was concerned about the lemongrass in this one, and my initial sniff confirmed my fears--I mostly just got lemongrass layered over something warm. Upon application, I got lemongrass over patchouli, both of which are fine scents, but not entirely what I was hoping for. As it dried down, though, the other notes began to bloom: in particular, the coconut came out to balance out the lemongrass, and the amber base just sort of warmed everything up. I don't get the other three notes directly, but they're clearly there, adding sweetness and spice and more warmth. On dry-down, I actually think I'm liking this more than I expected to!

right off the bat i get a sort of...dusty coconut for lack of a better word. maybe it's a hint of patchouli? then the lemongrass comes through supporting it.

after a few minutes, i am definitely getting some amber and the patchouli is becoming more prominent. after about 10 minutes on the skin i seem to amp the lemongrass and unfortunately it turns sort of sour. i am not sensing any carnation at all, and if there is vanilla, it's very subtle. this scent is alright on me, but the lemongrass just isn't my cup of tea.

Like zankoku noted, the label art for this is epic. I wanted to like it just for that, but let’s get to the blend itself! The lemongrass is nice; I’ve always loved the smell and was excited to see it here. It reads true: bright, fresh and citrusy, but not high-pitched or overwhelming. I don’t really get any patchouli woodsiness, but I smell a delicate red floral (carnation) and yes, “frothy” vanilla which somehow feels very liquid and smooth. The Lab did a great job on that note. Overall it makes me think of Thai tea.

For some reason I feel like some hip, young J-pop artist would smell like this. The blend is bright and happy but primarily citrus/floral on me, where I would’ve preferred the amazing vanilla take front and center. I wish the frankincense and patch developed more on me, because I think they could have darkened it up enough to suit me more, but unfortunately they’re not really present. A pleasant and unique scent, but not my style.

wow, this is an odd combination of notes. i really like the lemongrass note even though it is not something i'd personally tend to wear... it is super fresh and citrus-y... then there is a light floral component and smooth, creamy vanilla amber and coconut rounding it out. it's very nice but not really my kind of perfume.

Startled Toad also has my vote for the best Shunga art to date. There's just so much going on there, a girl hardly knows where to look.

When reading the notes I was like yes, yes, yes...lemongrass? ::record scratch:: And the first few times I tested it, the lemongrass felt a little too bright next to everything else going on. I don't know if my bottle has settled, or if the lemongrass has mellowed—or maybe my chemistry has changed since last testing—but I wore this again last night, and somehow things clicked into place. The lemongrass is still a really citrusy, grassy, citronella-esque high note at the beginning, but it falls back quickly and then I get the amber and coconut and frankincense. The carnation, vanilla, and patchouli trail the other notes on my skin.

I'm still not sure this one is quite right for me, but I'll definitely hang on to it and see if it mellows a little more with some aging.

In the imp: Lots of sweetness with a little bit of a bite.

Wet on skin: A little cacophonous, but I like every note that's coming out. Coconut, vanilla, frankincense, patchouli, tinged with lemongrass.

Dried down: The frankincense and patchouli is trying to take over here. As it sits on my skin, though, it morphs into this soft sweetness.The coconut and vanilla star here.

Throw: Soft and sweet.

Verdict: **** I'm actually not entirely sure how I feel about this one, but I want a bottle. I REALLy want to see how this ages.

On the skin, it's creamy coconut and lemongrass in equal measures, weighted down by a lovely earthiness that could be the patchouli. This is warm, sweet, spicy, and complex, a rare gourmand that doesn't come off as too young or immature. The coconut makes it a nice summer fragrance, but the spiciness can carry it into fall. Also, probably the best label art ever. Really liked this and bought a bottle!

This was unsuccessful on me. Rigorous Love is one of my favorites for the coconut/lemongrass/vanilla combination, and I'll buy pretty much anything with coconut in it, but the notes in ST were too muddled together for me. I wanted something fresher, but the amber and patchouli made it a little potpourri-like to me, and as much as I want it to, carnation doesn't seem to work for me. I swapped it away; Rigorous Love will be my go to for my coconut/lemon fix.

I'm not sure what note in here is doing it, but on my skin Startled Toad is an oddly creamy, meaty spice, like pepper milk. o.O I suspect it might be the lemongrass since that was the only note I was iffy on and everything else are known winners. No amber, no patch, no vanilla, no coconut, nada.

ARGH. I hope some aging will bring the other notes, especially since the label art is so awesome.

EDIT 11/28/15: In the bottle it still smells like pepper milk, but on my skin it now smells like...pencil shavings? o.O I know there isn't cedar in this since that tends to turn to pencils on some people, but cedar actually works on me. Again all the notes aside from lemongrass work on me in other blends, so I can only assume that's the reason this blend goes so, SO bad on my skin.

Edited by thatbrownelf

• ITI: Ooh, it's perfume-y and floral, with a pleasant baby oil undertone and slightly spiciness of carnation swaddled in frankincense.

Wet: It's warm and sweet on my skin - the notes of coconut, amber, full but slightly waxy vanilla, faint frankincense, and a touch of delightful lemongrass waft up to greet my nose. Very pleasant.

Dry: Thankfully, the waxiness of the vanilla dissipates completely under the pointed carnation, spicy patchouli, and warm sandalwood. While it doesn't have much throw it it, it is rather provocative. I'm tempted to add this to my buy list.

Spicy and resinous with a touch of red fruit, but maybe that's just me. There's a touch of foody nut cake. This OK, but not something I need.