Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

LAUDANUM BONBON

Nicely narcotic: bittersweet chocolate with nutmeg, sassafras, black poppy and myrrh.

So, I am sure I probably smelled the GC of this, but don't remember if I liked it. But here goes with this one....

In imp: I don't smell any chocolate....just a harsh blast of sassafras and a hint of myrrh.

On Skin: Pretty much stays the same. Sadly, I get zero chocolate from this. I think the other notes are just too powerful and drowns it out.

Dry down: Gets a bit sharp....maybe that is the poppy?? Not sure, but to me, since I get no choco out of this, it is just the GC bottle scent.

I really like the GC version so I have high hopes for this.

In the imp I smelled 0 chocolate and I got strong poppy and sassafras. Wet, the poppy receded a bit and more of the nutmeg and myrrh came forward but the sassafras still was sort of dominating the scent. Dry, the sassafras mellowed out a ton and I think my nose is picking up a little bit of a bitter chocolate mixing with the nutmeg but it isn't super strong and I really wanted to pick up the chocolate. I still like it but it's not a big difference to the GC version of it.

Strong sassafras, poppy and a hint of poppy and nutmeg. If there is chocolate there, its mainly MA. This really just smells like GC's Laudanum. Decent throw, average wear length.

I haven't tried the regular Laudanum, so keep that in mind with this review!

In the imp: STRONG, bright sassafras with a touch of nutmeg and other spices. I don't get chocolate at all.

Wet on skin: The sassafras is almost minty, it's a scent that really wakes me up whenever I sniff it. Still not getting any chocolate but I actually quite like this one. It's like a more complex Stimulating Sassafras Strengthener.

Drydown: Still the same, no morphing.

Ok, so I don't think I've tried the original of this yet (I've got an imp somewhere, just haven't tried it yet), so I'm going into this one pretty blind.

In the imp: Almost minty incense, with a slight sour note. I'm not getting chocolate yet, except maybe a slight dusting of sweetness on top of the incense.

Wet on skin: Still minty, like wintergreen gum, with the sourness going a little rubbery.

Dried down: Latex rubber dipped in mint.

Throw: I'm getting a very mild minty throw. It's not bad.

Verdict: ** This isn't completely horrible. I actually like the wintergreen, but I don't need a perfume that smells like rubber on me. Even if the rubber is mixed with mint. Reminds me a little too much of getting my teeth cleaned at the dentist (assuming they use the mint flavored fluoride instead of that icky cherry one).

I found the sassafras to be very dominant (also got a 'minty' - yes, definitely wintergreen - note) and the nutmeg unfortunately disappeared once dry. I agree with the comparisons to SSS at this point. There's a hint of dark bitterness in the dry down that might be the chocolate, but it's really MIA. It's not really what I expected, but overall I like it, and since my original Laudanum imps are all quite aged at this point, there's enough difference to my nose that I'll keep it.

ETA: quite unexpectedly, hours later the dry down is all deep dark chocolate; very close to the skin, no throw at all, but it's there with bells on.

Edited by Ethaisa

This is so odd.

When I 1st put it on the chocolate came out for a brief howdy, then promptly disappeared. Immediately it was the strong medicinal sassafras - I could barely stand the scent!

So, I'm outside, it's warm, I'm re-potting plants...and this warm, delicate, feminine scent keeps wafting past my nose. I smell this again and it's not that...then I realized it HAD to be, so instead of sniffing close to the skin, I sniffed several inches away, and sure enough.

This is a new experience for me regarding testing BPAL oils.

Anyway, it stays too strong and with a pungent floral note for awhile...it's only after several minutes (15+/-?) that light, warm, beautiful scent comes out.

I really WISH it would be that way from application onward.

Rootbeer! And something medicinal. The rootbeer is pleasant, bit the medicinal vibe is making me nauseous. That along with the chocolate is so very mismatched. This one is a BIG miss.