Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Empyreal Mist

A hazy, soft, veiled scent: mist floating through twilit skies, curling gently towards the heavens.

Faint white tea, yuzu, perhaps?, and the "mystery green" that's been boggling me in recent scent additions. It's a pale, almost bamboo-like green, and it gives Empyreal Mist a feeling of dew on pale green stalks. Pastel floral, but not a pale one, creeps through, too - cherry blossom, I'm guessing.

There's a large meadow in front of my parents' house, and it's bordered on one side by a fence and the other by five ancient pear trees. Empyreal Mist is a dense fog rolling in over that meadow, and I can smell what's just been covered and dampened, and everything close to the fog line is fuzzy and surreal.

Another winner in the recent scent additions, although not my favorite of them. This would be perfect for those who find Old Shanghai to be too strong; it's light and feminine but has staying power.

I'm wearing this today as I'm driving later and don't want to overwhelm my instructor with a heavy intense perfume :P

To me this starts off as very similar to Kumiho. I get the same fresh clean scent, but it's very white rather than green. Then something very odd happens. From nowhere, the crispness fades extremely quickly into something gently fruity: blackberries and raspberries. This lingers for a lot longer than the crisp scent, but even so it fades after an hour or so.

WoW! I am the first to review! Well, first off I must say... this is sooooo beautiful! I wore it today with my Peony lotion from BB&W. I got so many compliments at work today, they were actually telling me that everytime I passed by they wanted to just close their eyes and breath in!

This is very soft, not strong at all... just perfect. I love the way it melts with my skin. I can only desribe it as a soft, sweet & clean fragrance. It could be used everyday for me, I love it that much! I can't really pick out any individual notes in it, it is so well blended, and I am pretty new at this. I feel it has a little aquatic note to it, but not sharp at all... very round in fact. It stayed pretty true from start to finish, it fades a little to fast for my taste... but its sooo great I will slather all day if needed. This is my new fav... the only thing I regret, is that I didnt know about this scent yesterday, I would have put in an order for 2 10mls!!! Oh well, next month! :P :D :D :D

Edited by Shollin

This scent is a silky gossamer veil of sweet freshness...something I'd imagine an angel would smell like.

I can't pick out any one particular note, Empyreal Mist is just a wonderfully innocent and heavenly scent of floral greenness.

I also want to say that at no point does this turn powdery on me, as so many lighter scents do.

I think a big bottle is calling to me.

Oh my, I just sampled this one and it is divine. It sort of reminded me of Phantasm or Embalming Fluid, but better. It smells slightly fruity and sweet at first. I just tested this on my wrist, but I must slather this one on for the full effect...soon. Perfect for warmer weather. It is heavenly. I think this could possibly end up being one of my new favorites and I usually go for the deeper, spicy, resinous scents, but this is so uplifting and absolutely the best light scent I've smelled recently. I think this will appeal to many different people.....just my opinion. Upon sniffing it again from the vial, It is a bit sweet, so maybe it won't appeal to as many as I thought. I like sweet, so I really shouldn't judge the intensity of sweetness. I can't say enough about this one though. I'm really glad Beth included a sample, as the notes aren't listed and I wasn't sure I'd like it. This is a pleasant surprise.

Edited by lorajc

Faint and wispy and light, but like some of the lighter scents it's gone in nearly five minutes on me into that vague soapy scent. I have a tendancy toward soaking up scents; very little lasts on me longer than half a day and most of the strongest ones don't remain as strong on me as they do on others.

Sadly the fresh clean scent that was empyreal mist just evaporated. Into swaps.

So sad...I wanted to love this from the reviews...but my skin eats it upon application...there is nothing there, even wet. I tried to put a little more on...Still nothing. I'm so sad. Into the swap bin it goes.

I just put this one on, but WOW! What a gorgeous scent! Very soft, very quiet and understated. I get a floral with a hint of fruity sweetness. Just beautiful.

In the bottle: I smell floral and fruit. Very gentle, well blended. The florals are white florals, and the fruit is crisp. Smells promising.

Wet: Mmm, lovely! Still soft (my skin just generally amplifies scents, they linger forever, and they stay strong enough to give me a headache). Initially quite floral on me.

Drydown: Still floral, some fruit has crept in to juice up the scent a bit. I detect a hint of greenery?

Dry: A soft green floral. So pretty!

This scent was a freebie in my order and I'm so glad Beth added it. There were no notes listed, so I was a bit apprehensive, but this is gorgeous. I'll buy a bottle of this!

On me Empyreal Mist started out as a really nice and fresh scent, almost lemony. Since I like lemon a lot, I was really pleased with it.

Upon drydown though, it changed into a soft and etheral floral scent that was quite nice, but not as stimulating to my nose as the initial lemon.

This is a really pretty blend which I think is an absolute must-try for those who like their scents understated and innocent. However, I tend to prefer mine a little bolder, so I think this will be a swap. I am almost reluctant to swap it since it is so lovely, but I know I will not be reaching for it often enough, so I would rather send it to someone who will fall in love with it :P

First Impression: Light, wispy and green.

Second Impression: As Empyreal Mist "blooms" it reminds me of an ultra-sheer version of Veil and I really like it. It has that ethereal yet sophisticated feel to it but for when I'm in the mood to surround myself with something soft and light. I smell white tea, orris and maybe the barest hint of something violet-like.

Final Analysis: If you find Veil to potent, this is a perfect alternative. Ethereal, lighter than air and lovely.

Empyreal Mist is so enchanting and airy. It's a wonderful addition and I'd been waiting a while for it to be released into the main line after getting excited over the previews of it.

I can smell something like white tea from the Dormouse and the bamboo from Neo Tokyo along with a faint fruit smell, as others have suggested, yuzu does seem likely.

Its quite sophisticated and serene in its etherealness, once its settled it becomes a very gentle fruity/floral scent.

Absolutely adorable as a scent and very beguiling.

Initial Impression

This one has white tea in it. Which is nice. It's kinda smelling like Embalming Fluid, except with white tea instead of green tea. It also smells similar to Neo-Tokyo, which I think might be the lightest hint of bamboo.

Wearing It

Straight white tea and bamboo. Unlike Neo-Tokyo, this one makes no attempts at fruit (or if it does, it does so with one of those fruit oils that my skin likes to eat up). Similar to Kumiho, but without the really abrasive bite of ginger. I'm wondering (just a little) if this has more complex notes in it that my skin is just not bringing out. Either way, it's very relaxing and zen like right now.

Hmmm... this one is quite long lasting. I put it on about 4 1/2 hours ago and can still smell it wafting around me.

I can't pick out any single note, but it is a bright yet soft floral with green notes. It is really an artfully, beautifully blended oil, and smells very expensive.

It's very lovely, but it's just not me.

First sniff: Hazy herbal, less soft than I expected. I have some soporific bath salts that smell very much like Empyreal Mist.

Wearing: I like this one a lot. It’s mostly herbal-green, but there’s a very soft flower peering shyly through – I think I recognise iris. Fairly quickly, it faded to the point that I have to really sniff to catch a whiff – but that whiff has clung all night.

Ahhh...with my love of white/green florals I knew this would be a keeper. Reminds me of my beloved Havisham, only warmer. So clean and ethereal and softly feminine. I can see how the faint bamboo note might be like Neo-Tokyo, but that one was not good on me and this is great (perhaps because there's no fruit). This is just gorgeous, a breath of heaven. Dew-kissed early spring blossoms high on a mountain, slightly whiter than the morning mist that swirls around them. When I run out of Havisham (sob) I will buy a bottle of this.

:P

This is a fresh, sparkly scent.

It's very green...but a fresh green with a little bit of a soft floral.

This would be great for days when I need to be alert and on my toes but will need something to center me.

In the vial

Light and fresh, with a touch of crispness. I smell florals and white tea.

Wet

The florals are coming out strongly now, but they're soft florals. The crispness is still there. It's not wafting from me the way Neo-Tokyo did when I first put it on. It's softer than that scent, I think. Gentler -- Neo-Tokyo has an urban flavor while Empyreal Mist has the countryside.

Drydown

I think my skin's swallowed the white tea. It's completely gone. In its place is a faint green scent that I'm fairly sure is bamboo. There's also something vaguely fruity.... yuzu perhaps? I'm not sure. It's very wet in the way a meadow is wet with morning dew. It's hugging close to my skin. The scent is there, but I pretty much have to put my wrist up to my nose to smell it.

Final Thoughts

This is a very light, fresh scent. It's reminiscent of spring and it's very innocent in a way. It's similar to Neo-Tokyo, but while that one has lots of air and breeze, this one has dew. Empyreal Mist is a calming scent and very gentle, almost fragile and shy. I'm not so sure I like this so much on my skin as a perfume scent. It might work better for me as a lotion. I do want to try this in my hair though. I may have better luck there.

Empyreal Mist evoked green grassy meadows for me. While quite lovely, it is rather nondescript on me and lacks... a bite, an edge, anything to balance the airiness and etherealness. Plus, it disappeared on my skin within an hour. This one will be swapped away.

I can't pick out any notes, but this one is very soft and hazy and slightly sweet. It is so soft, that it has dissapeared after a few hours :P...

Up into the swappile with you!!!

IN THE BOTTLE: I can tell right away this probably isn't "me" but it is pleasant enough ... I absolutely can't place a note, but it reminds me of Embalming Fluid, which wasn't me either ... it has something of a department store perfume smell to me ...

Applied lightly to wrists and crooks of arms.

WET: I still can't place any of the notes except it probably has some tea and lemon ... I call my daughter in and stick my wrist in her face. She looked surprised ... "It's nice but it seems a little fruity for you." Then she thought for a second and said "It has apples in it." Damn, I think she is right, though I haven't seen anyone else mention apples on here ... green apples, not apple pie apples. She thinks it smells a lot like Donna Karan's BDelicious but not as overpowering.

DRYDOWN: Light, sweet, a little powdery and fruity at the same time. Weird, but it smells different in my crooks than on my wrist, isn't that strange? I like the crook smell better, a little tangier, while the wrists are more powdery and sweet.

I don't dislike it. I'm not going to wash it off. But it's not me ... I think this could be a very popular scent though ... someone else said this upthread, I can see a lot of people liking it. It seems very accessible and it is not overpowering.

I am putting asides non-keeper imps to gift to people these holidays (with all the BPAL info to go along with it) and this will be in that pile ... I can see it being something that will make new fans.

In the vial

I found it very light and clean, I do think it has a hint of tea in there. I do like it but it reminds me a lot of Kumiho but not as warm.

Wet

It gets a lot more of a flower scent, but on me the tea is still rather strong. My skin seems to amp up the tea scent at least while it's wet.

Drydown

While it's drying it smells a lot like roses, but not the strong over powering ones. This is more like you are sitting on your porch drinking tea and the wind is blowing from the rose garden, a nice soft sent towards you. Until is settles down into a nice floral wisp of scent where I really can't pick out anything. They mingle together nicely.

Final Thoughts

This is a very light and fragile scent. As I said it reminds me of sitting on a porch on a nice spring day with a mild breeze blowing towards you and wafting the scents of the new season your way. I really like this one. I know I’ll keep an imp around at least if not even go and get a 5ml of it.

Empyreal Mist is interesting. It's not one I would have chosen for myself (I'm too much an earth sign to be drawn to anything called 'mist'), but I'm very glad I have it.

Wet, it is sharp and clean, a bit aquatic, and I pick out the slight hint of lemon. The sharpness disappears quickly, leaving a decided white tea/white floral mix. It's absolutely lovely: feminine without being a bit overpowering, delicate without being sweet. It is also very much a clean scent, perfect for day. I would not wear this when I was feeling hot and spicy, by any means, but would definitely put it on when I wanted a soothing, barely there scent.

This is one I will have to try a lot more before I reach a decision on whether I like it or not.

In the bottle: Fresh, clean, lightly floral. Smells like the green parts of a rose.

Wet: At first I think this is going to go dreadfully rosy on me and I’ll have to run and wash it off, but instead the floral notes mellow out and the vague greenness comes up – I have no idea what the notes are but it’s really heavenly.

Drydown: Mild green and… fruity! For a few minutes it did smell like baby powder, but now it’s just a really soft, utterly clean fragrance. I can see wearing this as a lighter everyday scent. Smells vaguely honeyish on my skin by never gets too sweet.

Later: I like this one. Am not sure on a big bottle yet (will have to try it a few more times) but I will definitely use up the imp.

:P

I received this as a freebie from the lab. It's very light and clean, good for days when you don't want to feel overwhelmed by the scent of what you're wearing. On me, it smells lemony and grassy. It's hard to pick out the notes precisely because they do all kind of fade into the mist, but I definitely get green and citrus.

empyreal mist is gooooorgeous. i really didn't expect to like it so much. i'm wishing i knew the notes that are in it, because it smells so familiar. smelling this makes me feel almost nostalgic, and it makes me longlonglong for those days in summer where the dark grey skies bring out the greenness of the grass and trees, and i would walk outside every morning to hazy mist floating along the street.