Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Ravenous

Ravenous

An utterly feral, thoroughly rousing perfume. Red patchouli sweetened by orange blossom.

Swiped across wrists and along collarbone.

Initial Wet (8-8:30am): This goes on sweet and sugary. The red patchouli provides a nice earthy base for the sweet orange blossom. A very pleasant blend.

Initial Dry (8:30-10am): Wow, this scent is actually improving my mood. I think I’ll have to keep it on that principal alone – we all know that there is far too much awfulness in life, to find a scent that makes you happy … take advantage of it.

The patchouli and orange blossom blend so well that I can’t detect one note from the other. This is absolutely divine.

Throughout the Day (10am-on): This is so gorgeous. Sweet, sugary and full of feel-happy thoughts. Definitely keeping the imp!

Ooohhh, and its long lasting to boot!

Received this little imp as a freebie from a generous Ebay or BPAL forumite..in any case MANY THANKS!!!

This was not on my original list of scents to try..but as I have said before..I had nothing to lose!!! :D

From the imp: Sweet and orange...I guess that is the orange blossom/neroli and red patchouli working in tandem??? Definitely a sweet almost sugary/fruity blast.

Applied wet on skin: Definitely there goes the orange and patchouli...but I also get a strong children's aspirin vibe as others stated...the orange children's aspirin from St.Joseph's to be exact actually...hmmmmm :D

This is a very *happy* fragrance-I concur with previous reviews...it seems to me that it is a warm,fruity,sweet fragrance. As I have never been a fan of patchouli, this is a welcome surprise :D

Dry on skin:The orange children's aspirin vibe has been softened and I have a very nice melange of notes on my skin..the patchouli and orange blossom have melded together beautifully

Bottom line: Ravenous, to me, is a late summer early fall scent...for anyone who thought they didn't like patchouli, this could definitely allow you to ponder the patchouli possiblities. The scent itself has wonderful staying power. Although I liked this..this isn't for me full bottle worthy. The children's aspirin association I was getting makes it easier for me NOT to buy..but I will indeed enjoy using my imp :P

sweet orange, like Carnal but slightly more subdued. here, the orange is restrained just a little by the exotic spiciness of the red patchouli. it’s still very, very orange-y, however! the patchouli comes out more over time, which is nice.

It had an orange scent similar to Hunger in the first whiff. Then it was straight patchouli for me, rich thick patchouli. It had a very earthy, sensual vibe.

This was actually very vanilla on me and reminded me a lot of snake oil. Smooth, thick, and sweet, I didn't get even any patchouli out if it. So very wierd since I could smell it in the imp. Pretty and decadent but since it's turning so similar on my skin, off it goes to swaps.

A generous lagniappe, and I'm so glad I got to try it! I probably would've tried it eventually on my own, but sooner is better than later.

In the imp: Woodsy patchouli... the 'red' is obviously not quite as thick and heavy as the black kind.

Initial application: Zingy! I can see exactly what the earlier reviews meant in talking about an "evil orange". Exactly like that, in the best sense of the word. Juicy, almost candy orange, underlaid by dark wafting incense.

After about an hour and a half: The orange is turning more to orange-blossom now, and I can see what people mean about the scent of baby aspirin. It's really compelling - I can't stop sniffing myself! There's a depth and almost woodyness to it, but then this effervescent orangey powder. It's sexy and happy at the same time, like getting tickled while wearing your naughtiest lingerie.

As always, I'll reserve final decision till a second try, but Ravenous has just jumped WAY up my potential-big-bottle list.

in the vial: creamy orange and something stick sweet

on me chloraseptic?? smells like a throat lasenge. man wonky chemistry i have

This smells like my favorite incenses, before they're burned. Yum. In the bottle I could smell some sort of fruit, but now that it's on and dry all that I smell is the yummy insence-y smell. I can't decide if it smells more like Nag Champa or this nameless powder incense my friend has.

ETA : It's a really nice smell, but not really one I want to wear in my skin daily. I was going to keep this for use as a room scent, during rituals/meditations, etc, but my skin started to burn and get red and splotchy. Damnit! I had to run and get it off. I gave it to my friend, who's really into incense-y smells. Perfect for her.

Edited by Cagedflame

Patchouli and orange blossom sounded great to me, and while I did get both of those notes from this scent, there's also something dusty and medicinal here, perhaps the children's aspirin that other reviewers have noted. The dusty thing fades after a while, but so does the rest of the scent.

Even if this had worked on me, it would probably be too sweet and happy for me, so Masquerade will be my orange patchouli scent.

Edited by nineveh

This fragrance seems to be based on resins. It smells a bit like a head shop. I'm not so sure if it's really for me.....

In Bottle: Patchouli and orange

On Skin: Interesting combination… I love the orange blossom, but as many people who read my reviews know, I hate patchouli. I get kind of a playdough note from this one… a little artificial smelling. I thought I would love it, Ravenous is one of my favorite words in the world. But the patchouli is too strong. This one isn’t for me.

I love Beth's patchouli and fruit blends, so I had I high hopes for this one. I think orange blossom is not my friend. It was too sweet on me. Almost gave me a toothache. On drydown, I waited to smell my beloved patchouli but it never appeared. :P

Very strong, sharply in-your-face sexually aggressive at first. Rounds well with orange later: slinky, seductive, rather than NOWNOWNOW as when first applied. Sweet but insistently strong, almost, later. Softer than Succubus, but similar, I think.

This one goes on orange oil and finishes patchouli.

Neither are scents I would have thought I especially liked, but the whole is really greater than the sum of its parts (thanks again, Beth!) and together they really work, each tempering the other during its moment in the sun. I think this would be especially nice in the winter so I think I'll save the rest of my imp for a while. Then I can also experience the wonders of aged patchouli.

The relationship between the orange and patchouli made me think of the relationship between the violet and vetiver in Saturnalia though the patchouli is less dominant on me than the vetiver was. A few hours into the dry down, I got a faint almost burnt rubber smell --- not string enouch to be horrble, but it was curious. Is this a patchouli thing? :P

A strong blend of patchouli and orange blossom, very "red".

It's a warm floral-oriental perfume, nothing more, nothing less.

This is a wrist sniffer for sure, I can't stop smelling it! It's a glorious scent. The patchouli gives it an incensey feel, but it's not overpowering or overly musky. The orange sweetens it up for an amazing result. This is by far my favorite patchouli scent, enticing, long lasting, sexy and sweet at the same time. Bravo Bravo!! I might need a 5 ml.... :P

DAMMIT.

I read the description of Ravenous and I fell in love, hard. Evil orange? SO there.

I smelled the imp and swooned. It was this perfect delicious crystalline metallic sweet tangy orange, with an undercurrent of corruption keeping it centered and dangerous. A vixen wearing thigh-high boots and a false-innocent smile.

I dabbed it on my wrists, and all of the deliciousness disappeared. It faded into this faintly orange medicinal scent. Not the cough syrup type, more the kind of thing you would put on sore muscles. Similar to Ben Gay but not minty at all, just that sort of linament tinge. Not exactly unpleasant, just - odd, and nothing like the imp at all.

I left it on for nearly an hour, and the scent morphed a bit, but nothing could even approach the medicinal tang that wasn't going away.

Damn my body chemistry anyways.

I wonder if my hormone levels are affecting it? I'll try again at a better time of the month.

If not, this one goes into the "swap" pile for me, with a big sign that says "This sexy vamp broke my heart."

This went on really spicy & patchouli, but the orange came out pretty quickly & the two scents blended into this lovely, warm, oh-so-slightly-sweet, spicy mix. Beautiful! Not for everyday or for work, but *definitely* could see wearing it on fall afternoons or evenings.

My friend who was visiting this afternoon said, during the early stages, "animalistic, but in a good way." :P

Don't know about a big bottle, but I'll use up the imp, you better believe it.

Ravenous

Heavy, syrupy chocolate slices saturated with orange liqueur. And a tiny note of cedary-red patchouli.

I like this. I can't stop smelling my arm. It's so rich and desserty.

For some reason, this evokes red hued oriental rugs for me. It's sexy and thick with a wood note that keeps the sweetness from being too overwhelming.

I don't know when I'd wear this, but I know I'd have to be wearing dark blood red clothing with it - possibly velvet or very heavy silk.

Eventually it turned into an incredibly sweet, desserty cinnamon. Big yum. I'll test this again for bottle potential.

Ravenous

Getting a slight poo note from the imp itself, but I'm takin' one for the team and putting it on anyway. Ok, now that it is on the poo note seems to be gone. I'm getting citrus and something else that I can't quite place. Based on the description, that "something else" is most likely red patchouli. I'm still mostly getting a light orangey scent from this. It is better than I thought, but still not exactly a scent for me. This is somehow both ozoney and powdery plus a light citrussy floral.

Now I know why my sweetie likes this a lot! Nice! I get a creamy orange with just enough spiciness from the patchouli. It isnt overly feminine, or masculine, and it gets better with dry down. I think Ill need a 5ml

Again, orange blossom doesn't do well with me. It's always a too masculine of a scent for my tastes.

This is a really nice perfume though...I love red patchouli, but with the orange blossom iit smells a lot better on a man.

I tested this one on my boyfriend. He really loves the way it smells. The patchouli is softened by the blossom and will fade to a soft powdery scent. Very nice :P

Very orange upon first sniff. Kind of reminds me of those orange candy slices, you know the ones made out of 100% sugar??

As it dries, the patchouli comes out a bit but it's not prominent. I actually get a bit of vanilla out of this after awhile. I love this one! It lasts a long time too. I ordered a 5ml :D

Finally! A patchouli scent that doesn't go :P to me.

I adore patchouli and hate orange blossom. I was hoping that the patchouli would take over or that the two would balance each other out. Oddly, this blend is all orange blossom and vanilla on me.

Ravenous smells like a bad creamsicle on my skin. The orange blossom takes on a burnt candy orange smell. Patchouli is nowhere in sight. It stayed the same for about an hour before I just washed it off. I don't know why orange blossom always smells burnt on me. :P

Another freebie from the Lab.

I was really surprised to learn this blend has patchouli in it. Maybe I'm one of those people where red patchouli works, but black doesn't? I don't know.

Anyway, this was very very sweet on me. It's a sugary, fruity blend reminiscent of orange soda. I barely detected the patchouli, which is very very odd.