Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Cold - unending, heart-piercing cold - that slices through skin and muscle like a gleaming, razor-edged dagger until it penetrates bone and fills your marrow: white eucalyptus, frosted mint, raw frankincense, davana, iris petal, white grapefruit, and wormwood.

I can smell every single note in this right on application. The eucalyptus and mint are both indeed "white", i.e., mild and sweet, not like an ice pick to the brain via the sinuses. The grapefruit is a bit bitter, like the peel more than the fruit, but it's very pleasant and off-sets the eucalyptus and mint perfectly. The frankincense fades quickly, and I smell almost no iris or wormwood at this stage, but there is a rich, sweet background of davana. The key players are mint, eucalyptus and grapefruit with darker, grounding undertones. There is a short phase where I think, "Huh? Wrigley's Doublemint gum?", but that settles as it dries. It smells more like a therapeutic or spa scent than a perfume, which I like. Not sure I'll keep this, since I have other blends that fit that slot, but it sure is nice!

In the decant: Eucalyptus, grapefruit, a creamy floral, and mint.

Wet: Grapefruit, eucalyptus, mint, for the most part. Then, what I believe is the davana emerges, followed by the iris. It is sweet and doesn't really make me think of piercing cold at all. The eucalyptus, mint, and grapefruit are still present, though.

Dry: Minty, floral, and citrus-y. (So descriptive, I know!)

Verdict: I expected this one to be colder since it is the scent for fear of extreme cold. It's not bad, but it doesn't really grab me.

I definitely get grapefruit and iris in the opening and it's just really fruity and a little creamy. Not bad by any means just not what I expected with a "fear of extreme cold" type of smell. Not even before it begins drying the eucalyptus starts to make itself known and it becomes a little "tingly" to the senses. The grapefruit begins to disappear when the drying process starts and I am very glad about this because it wasn't smelling the way I was imagining. I truthfully have no idea what davana smells like so I don't know if it ever comes out or not on me but when it's fully dry it's just light frosted mint and strong eucalyptus with a little pop of creamy iris.

It's not a bad scent but it just didn't grab my attention like I wanted it to and I have other minty fragrances that I like more. This will go off to a better home.

Edited by Haltija

Eucalyptus, mint, grapefruit. It starts off as a minty grapefruit and dries down to a grapefruit laced frankincense and touches of wormwood. It still gives the impression of cold even without being cold. Low throw, low wear length.

Minty, grapefruit, resins.

In the imp: This is going to sound very odd, but for a moment this smells just like walking into a shoe store. I have no idea why, because there’s no leather in Cryophobia.

Wet: Now I smell the mint and eucalyptus, and a little of the grapefruit.

Cryophobia is cool on my skin, which I hoped and expected it would be. I thought it would be a good scent to counteract 90-degree days.

It dries down to eucalyptus and mint, a spa-like scent similar to Envy and Pain in the GC. It’s pleasant, but since it does what those scents do, I don’t think I’ll need a bottle. I’m slightly disappointed, because I was hoping for a cold, cold scent to wear in the summer.

my first thought was "Vicks vapor rub" ....only nicer. this doesn't last beyond immediate reaction

it stays very close to the skin and settles quickly...once settled I can pick out individual notes including the grapefruit, which isn't a scent I particularly like. it's white for sure

Mint and a slight citrus vibe. Fades quickly. There are a lot of mint and citrus blends that are way better than this.

This scent is basically a collection of my most hated notes. The only thing that I like in it is the frankincense, and I don't get any frankincense from Cryophobia. The eucalyptus and mint go straight to menthol, medicinal Vicks VapoRub, the grapefruit and wormwood are sour, bitter and reminiscent of body odor, and the iris is incredibly sharp and perfumey. It was an immediate scrubber for me.

I tried the 2016 version.

In the decant is was bright eucalyptus and cold mint in a lovely sinus-opening frozen blend. Maybe a little grapefruit? But not much else.

On the skin - where'd it go? I did a good test, but as soon as it gets on me, it vanishes. I know my skin eats mint, but I thought maybe the eucalyptus would at least hang around.

This wins the prize for weirdest and most specific scent memory a perfume has ever brought up for me. A few years ago I went to England with my family, and because we were out most of the day doing things I carried around a bottle of hand sanitizer. Because everything I surround myself with must be scented at all times, it was--eucalyptus and mint. This smells exactly like that did, and now I'm having some kind of Pavlovian hunger response, wondering where dinner is. Slightly sweet, strong eucalyptus and mint, but almost everything else in here gets swallowed up. Definitely feels cold even though I'm plenty warm. Has great throw.

(Note: This review is for the 2014 version)

While I'm not usually big on the "cold" scents, this one is very pleasant, and not scary at all! After it dries down I get a predominantly mint-grapefruit combo with a bit of frankincense and very faint hints of a light floral. Overall, it leaves a clean, slightly sweet, light green/white impression -- nice for when you want something cool and invigorating without being overpowering. The only problem is it's very fleeting -- I had to apply about double the amount of BPAL I usually put on in order to get any kind of lasting scent.

Got a frottle of this with a big order!  In the bottle: I'm getting mild eucalyptus and grapefruit with a bit of bitter herbs. On, wet: A dry, cool note picks up--getting some fresh mint stem and a whiff of some kind of resin. Drydown: I'm left with a soft mint and mild eucalyptus blend--not Vicks Vapor Rub eucalyptus but more of a dried flower arrangement eucalyptus blend, with pops of citrussy resin. Rather nice! If anyone here got it back in 2014, how was it then?