Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
VioletChaos

A Brilliant and Ruby Colored Fluid

A spectre’s poison: unknowable strange toxins dribbled into warmed red wine.

In The Bottle: A *very* strong wine. It's got an edge of grape juice to it, like the kinds of home-brew wine my Sicilian neighbors made when I was a kid. But make no mistake- this is boozy as hell.

Wet On Skin: The kick lessens slightly but the grape remains. I'm also starting to get some of the warmth that was ever present in Gluhwein, which I adore.

Dry Down: I get a trace of those unknowable toxins, but they are in the background, like a sinister shadow, or a disturbing afterthought. It's what prevents this from being too foodie, for sure.

In All: Medium throw and rich. I would wear this on wintery evenings for sure, and if Glugwein is any indicator, this will surely age in a fine way. It's almost so pure that it could be a Wine Single Note- which means I anticipate layering options well into the future. If you're a fan of the wine note (as I am) then you don't want to miss out on a bottle of this. <3

In the bottle: On the first (and second and third) sniff, it's wine. Very, very strong red wine. On the third sniff, though, something happened and I got a distinct whiff of acetone. That was a little jarring, but given the scent description, not entirely unexpected. I sniffed it again, and I could smell both--the acetone and the wine. And something else, lurking at the edges of it.

Wet on skin: Grape takes over, and I'm not getting any of the acetone (or whatever the unknowable toxins may be).

Drydown: The toxins are back, but not in the burn-your-nose way that they smelled in the bottle. Instead, they lend an almost jagged edge to the wine. You know there's something else there, but can't quite pinpoint what. Overall, the scent has settled into something warm and rich and just a little sweet. It's boozy, definitely, but once it's dry, it's not too too boozy.

Overall: This was a gamble for me, being both a blind bottle purchase and my first boozy scent. And I'm one who doesn't love wine to begin with. But the "unknowable toxins" were too interesting to resist, and I think the gamble paid off. It's definitely wearable without everyone around asking if you've spilt wine on yourself.

Edited by Hattress

Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous! DID I SAY GORGEOUS :P

In all seriousness this blend is so lovely. A deepened wine with yes that trace of a "grape" quality. I will quote my Mother on this "Smells like you're drunk on grape juice". Well I don't mind that. I don't want to smell like I bathed in alcohol and this doesn't do that. It just smells sexy. Some blends just are supposed to be sexy I suppose. I love any wine blend that Beth makes so I knew I would need a bottle of this. Winner all around!

Spicy red wine sangria. This smells cozy and comforting, red wine, cinnamon and cloves. I'm surprised at how much I really enjoy this. Very wearable. Good throw, medium wearlength.

In Bottle: WINE! RED WINE! Oh Hai I’m Red Wine!

Wet on Me: still a red wine scent but not as strong

Drying Down: Softer Red wine and something I can’t quite put my nose on…..

Dry: Red and something………herbal-y

as soon as it hits my skin it's all red wine with a hint of grape, reminds me of grape bubblegum! that sweeter grape note seems to come and go but the wine stays strong. after being on the skin about 20 minutes or so it's just pure red wine on me. i cannot pick out any other notes, but there is something there softening it. bpal's wine note often turns weird on me, but i am loving it in this! definitely keeping my decant.

In the imp: Very strong wine. Lots of grape.

Wet on skin: A little more grapey, less winey (I used a coconut sugar scrub in the shower, so I expect I'm getting whiffs of that, too)

Dried down: Softer (and sweeter),, but still winey. If I were to pick a single note wine, this would be it. I'm not getting the toxins at all, but that might be because of my scrub.

Throw: Soft, boozy grape throw.

Verdict: **** Nice, but I think I prefer Obsidian Widow for a wine scent. But I might pick up a bottle of this if I have the funds.

In the decant: That's some toxic vino! Seriously, dark red wine adulterated by something strange.

Wet: Red wine and the other things that seem a bit metallic.

The dry-down: Just that yummy, fruity red wine that's kept from being too sweet by those strange-whatever-they-are toxins. :)

Definitely alcoholic. Red wine. Fades quickly, thankfyllt. Smells like spilled, sweet red wine. Not even a good one.

Recieved this as a frimp, which I was pleased about because i had seen it around and was intrigued by the name, although not quite motivated enough to investigate further. In the bottle it is an almost completely clear, slightly greenish coloured oil, definitely not ruby. But maybe that varies. The blend itself is both brilliant and ruby-colored, and I am not one to necessarily associate scents with colors. In the bottle it is kind of medicinal. It's kind of familiar but I can't quite place it. Almost like cough syrup, but not really cherry cough syrup. It's kind of critrusy, like a grapefruit type of subdued citrus, definitely ruby-like. Wet on the skin it smells the same but slightly less sharp, and very nice. As it dries the sharpness mellows out even more and it smells somewhat floral. I kind of think roses but I could just be over-thinking the ruby aspect. I read the notes after testing and I definitely note the booziness. It kind of explains the cough syrup I think. I only tested a small amount but it seems to have good throw