Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Red_Hot_Mama

Job Interview Recommendations

I agree with the votes for "none of them." One thing that has been beaten into my head over and over again is to NEVER wear fragrance to a job interview. What smells delightful to you might be horrific to your interviewer (or they could have a fragrance sensitivity, or be allergic to one of the oils, or prone to migraines, or...) and it could prejudice them against you. It would be terrible not to get a job because of the fragrance that you chose to wear.

Sucks, but I think it's the safest bet.

uh-oh. looks like a 3-way tie right now.

I definitely recommend black cat. You like it, and it can bring you luck.

If Horn of Plenty comes in time, why not give that a try? It's supposed to be help ful with money and stuff, and jobs bring money so they seem to go hand in hand.

Good luck!

I recommended Tombstone. I think it's appropriate for an interview being that it's not overly strong or overly sweet, and it stays near your person. I find it to be a calming scent as well.

Good luck on the interview :P

K

I had to put my vote in for Black Cat. It sounds softer and fresher on you than most of your other options, and more importantly it sounds like one of the most subtle scents in your repertoire.

As has been mentioned in several other "job interview" threads, any scent worn in this sort of situation should be extremely light (or practically non-existant). While you might love the scent, and while it might, indeed, smell absolutely lovely on you, you could wind up with an interviewer who is scent sensitive or allergic to one of the notes in the blend. It would truly be unfortunate if your perfume left a bad impression, and thus negatively influenced your chance of getting the job. The fact that you are going to have multiple interviewers only increases the risk that one of them might be unhappy (for whatever reason) with the scent you choose.

Therefore, I would have to say that the safest option would be to wear no perfume at all. However, if you would prefer to be wearing something to calm your nerves, offer emotional/mental support, etc. then I would have to suggest choosing the lightest, softest scent you have and applying it with care.

I also would recommend no perfume, or using it as sparingly as possible. Since you asked about specific options, though, I voted for Calliope- having smelled it myself, I know that it is lovely and non-traditional without being too non-traditional. I wouldn't use anything with sandalwood, incense, patchouli, etc.- your interviewers may have associations with those scents that you wouldn't want attached to you as a job interviewee. :P In addition, these tend to be stronger scents in general, and people usually have pretty strong reactions to them, whether positive or negative.

Good luck with the interview!

I would recommend going very light or none at all. Where I work has been holding interviews recently as well, we had one woman come in who was wearing perfume. Before she even walked in the door her perfume did, she had it on that strong. It was a very strong floral scent too, and several of us didn't like it.

Unfortunately for her, the fact that her perfume was so strong has made her a joke around the office now. Whenever she's referred to by the interviewers or anyone in the office we simply call her the Perfume Woman. We have no idea what her qualifications are, all we know is the perfume she was wearing was so strong.

Hopefully if she's hired, we'll be able to forget about the perfume problem. Unless she wears it like that everyday.

Good luck on the interview and let us know what you end up going with.

Hmm...I would definately agree with going light. In any case, I'm sure you'll do great! Be sure to keep us posted. :P

Have you gotten your package I sent? Last I checked the tracking number, it had arrived, but now I'm worried! (I'm becoming more of a neurotic fool in my old age, I swear.)

I chose Jack because, of the 4, it's the most comforting familiar-type scent. Almost everyone is familiar with pumpkin spices and pumpkin pie.

Well I wore Jack! And....................... I got the Job!! Woohoo!

I'm not taking it (If you want to know why PM me b/c it's a long boring story) But I really do appreciate everyones feedback :P

Edited by Morgan

I have a job interview on Tuesday, it's for a law firm (which make me a little nervous), and I was wondering if anyone had a recommendation for an oil to wear.

I have: Skadi, Snake Oil, Belladonna, Jack, O, Hamadryad, Dia De Los Muertos, Sugar Skull, Gingerbread Poppet, Egg Nog, Midwinter's Eve, All Saint's, King of Diamonds, Old Kyoto, Old Madrid, Hunger, Hellcat, Hellfire, Bon Vivant, Bliss, The Red Queen, Baron Samedi, The Caterpiller, Cheshire Cat, Seraglio

Any help would be appreciated!

Out of that list I would choose Hamadryad, I think. It's very light, and the woody/earthiness will make you seem responsible. :P I would just make sure to wear it lightly.

Good luck!

Out of that list I would choose Hamadryad, I think.  It's very light, and the woody/earthiness will make you seem responsible.  :P  I would just make sure to wear it lightly.

Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestion!!

Of those, I would pick: Skadi, Cheshire Cat, Snake Oil, or Midwinter's Eve (perhaps all saints?)

But as a note, I haven't smelled: Belladonna, Hamadryad, Old Kyoto, Old Madrid, Hellfire, The Red Queen, The Caterpiller, Seraglio

I would probably stay away from scents that are overly recognizeable as something.. (Like gingerbread poppet, eggnog, bliss), and definitely nono on boozy smells (bon vivant)..

and definitely go light, yes!

--------------------------------

also.. I had an interview on Monday night. I wore Crucible of Courage, cuz I definitely need it. :P I get so nervous about these things, and this was my first interview for a job actually in my field, sooo.. (haven't heard anything back yet, but he said it wouldn't be til the end of this week/beginning of next)

Edited by harlequin

first off, i'm so proud of you, babe! i hope you get the position. you could definitely use a different job. other than that, i'm another vote for hamadryad. i would avoid wearing anything foody, boozey, or just -too- unique. that isn't to say that hamadryad's not gorgeous and can hold its own, but it isn't something that screams, "HEY! PAY ATTENTION TO ME! I'M SEXY. RAWR," (snake oil, i'm looking at you). it's very understated, calming, and grounding. go on with your bad self, dollface. :P

Thanks everyone!

It's a clerical position in a law office... I hope I'll get it, but I'm trying to tell myself that I probably won't, so I won't get too disappointed later on.

if you honestly believe you won't get the job, you won't. worry about the disappointment factor later, if you indeed have to-- right now you need to concentrate on being positive and confident in your abilities. DON'T TELL YOURSELF YOU CAN'T DO IT. that is the sure-fire way to sabotage an opportunity.

I'm confident of my abilities... I just don't want to be really disappointed...

I think this feeling has to do with the week I'm having... hopefully, I'll feel better on Tuesday :P

Some of my favourites to wear in an office-type environment that I feel would be good for interviews would be:

Zephyr

The Hermit

Juliet

Embalming Fluid

Phantasm

Jabberwocky

Endymion

Other suggestions of oils I've tried that would also be appropriate would be:

Cheshire Cat

Paris

Ultraviolet

Queen Mab

Chiroptera

For gentlemen, I would recommend:

Wilde

Severin

Villain

Vicomte de Valmont

Good luck to anyone up for a job!

-doreen

I think that Horn of Plenty, even just a tiny dab on one's forehead should be required for anything job related, be it an interview, a performance review or asking for a raise.

I second & third so many suggestions to "go easy" on the fragrance.

Here are my suggestions:

Cheshire Cat

Hamadryad

Horn of Plenty

Think, "light, clear & confident". I'd actually suggest putting Hamadryad on the soles of your feet. It's wonderfully grounding.

Edited by Red_Hot_Mama

queen of diamonds and dorian have been very good to me in getting interviews and the contract-to-hire position that i'm starting next month. they're both light, pretty, not in your face, and neither overly feminine nor masculine...

I'm going to apply for a job (no interview requried, really, either they'll hire me or they won't) Saturday, so I'm looking for something that'll make me feel a little more confident.

Which do you think: High John the Conqueror or Has No Hanna...or both? :D

I think the situation really calls for a Voodoo Blend and not a regular perfume since I'm in need of something to up my confidence in myself. :P