Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Red_Hot_Mama

Job Interview Recommendations

Haven't tried any of what you have there, but based on its description, I would go with Phantasm. The Sun also sounds lovely.

Then again, there is a possibility that the lady or man doing the hiring may say:

Interviewer: Hmm... That's a lovely scent, by the way. What's it called?

You: Er... uhm... :::sweats:::

-doreen

PS: Best of luck with the interview!

The world, but little dab as it is quite strong and potential. I used it last week when doing a difficult task at work and it made me feel in control

Hey.

Just wanted to let you all know that my interview went quite well. He couldn't promise me anything yet, because his boss have to approve as well. But in Septmeber I will be told if they want to sign me.

I ended up with Tarot: The Sun - and it smelled lovely and powerful. Thanks for the suggestions :P

Ok, I have a job interview next Monday. I will be interviewed by 2 women.

I have in my collection:

Veil

Tempest

VElvet

Aureus

Eve

Faustus

Come to me

Queen MAb

Love Me]

Vice

Snake OIl

Desire

Depraved

O

Alice

Old London

Katharina

Kali

Juliet

All night long

Sacred whore of babylon

Persephone

Three jacks

Hollywood babylon

Roadhouse

DEesdemona

Ophelia

Three witches

Embalimg fluid

Cheshire cat

The interview is at 3 pm.

So, what shoudl I wear to kick some interview butt?

I haven't even tried half of those, but as a general rule for interviews: wear something VERY light and subtle or nothing at all. A lot of people are allergic and all else and you don't want to end up making a bad impression because they don't like Hollywood Babylon or because Three Jacks is too strong. I would suggest Tempest or Velvet really lightly applied.

Well, I've always felt that Katharina was a really go go-get-em scent. It always makes me feel confident, cheerful, and ready to face the world. Plus it's a fairly light scent. Embalming Fluid would be another one I'd recommend, just because of how lovely yet not-overpowering it is.

I'd steer away from the more sexual or foody scents, since that would probably elicit some sort of subconscious reaction from the women interviewing you (I'm guessing slight feelings of either jealousy, dismissal, or attraction)... So no on the Snake Oil, Love Me, Come to Me, Depraved, Three Witches, or Velvet.

Sacred Whore would also be a very nice scent to wear, seeing as how it's a floral, so pretty standard...

Others that sound good that I haven't tried are Juliet or Alice.

The one thing I'd worry about, though, is having them notice the smell, compliment you on it, and then ask you what it was called. At which point Sacred Whore and Embalming Fluid might not be such good choices...

Edited by hypothermya

Hahahaha, thanks.

Yeah, a perfume called Sacred Whore of Babylon might raise some eyebrows when they are not familiar with BPAL. I'll take my whole collection with me, since the interview is actually in an other country and I'm leaving tonight, lol.

I think I'll see how I feel that day and what I feel like wearing.

BTW thanks for moving the thread. I didn't really know where to post it :P

I wore French Creole to an interview today and I think it went well!

From what you have, I would maybe do Desire in a light way :P

I wore this to work when I first got it and my female co-workers were all very vocal about loving it on me and kept saying how soft and pretty it was and nice in a sublte attracting way. Now, mind you, I stuck my arm under their noses- and even then, they weren't overwhelmed at all. I think the "desire" effect, depending on how this one opens up and dries down on you, would be a positive one. It makes people -male and female- more friendly and open to me when I wear it.

If you wanted to ground it a bit, maybe a teeny touch of 3 Witches over this. This is b/c I do notice with the money and luck and good fortune voodoo blends I have, they usually have a clovey or spicy light note to them.

I think that could only be a good thing.

Let us know what you end up doing and good luck!

eta: spelling boo-boos

Edited by lavinia

katharina immediately sprang to mind for me. i think it's one of the more accessible or office-friendly bpals. i wore it and a dab or two of has no hanna to my recent interview.

I would say that anything in your collection that is light and floral ought to be fairly safe. However, I do stress light... nothing is more irritating that heavy, overdone perfume!

Embalming Fluid might also be a good bet. It smells fairly fresh and clean, and I know for a fact that its a very light scent. It's not likely to bother many people. Still, as with any perfume, go easy!

Well, after having a bath with Lush ballistic Rainbow Warrior I decided to go for Persephone. It seemed the be the bets combination.

The interview went well, am waiting now to hear if I'm through to the next round.

Thanks for the advice!

These just happen to be the ones that I have in my purse. I haven't been on a job interview in over 2 years...and I'm a wee bit nervous :P

I think Perversion, because it tends to be a little milder and softer than the others, and it doesn't waft as much.

I've got to say none of the 4.

If you get at all nervous while you're interviewing, your skin will heat up, and the scent will be stronger. Also, You never know if you might not be interviewing in a small room, which may also make your perfume seem to smell stronger.

Your interviewer may be allergic to some scents, or very sensitive to smells, or just plain might feel that strong perfume is not "professional."

If you want a little something for yourself, I'd put the tiniest dab in your cleavage, so you can smell it if you tip your head down, but nobody else can. And in that case, I'd just pick whichever of the 4 makes you feel best.

I voted Snake Oil as well, all though I think antimony makes a good point. If you smell strong, no matter good you smell, it's unpleasant. Dab with care!

I'd been approached about becoming a half-time administrative assistant at Wellesley College after I graduate this December, applied, and now have an interview this Wednesday.

My major advisor recommended me glowingly to another professor in the (English) department, who is serving as the director for a new humanities center which is in the process of being established. He contacted me and we met about the position, at which point he encouraged me to apply and said that while he couldn't guarantee me the position since he hadn't read through the current application, he would "smile upon" my application for various reasons. Applied, now have an interview scheduled for Wednesday afternoon, with him and an undetermined number of other people. I know that at least one is an HR person, a woman.

I probably have the position, but I'd like to help matters as much as possible, you know? :P So. I'm wondering what I should wear-- nothing on this list (or generally) wafts much on me, so overpowering anybody is not a problem.

Given the slight awkwardness in moving from student to real employee, despite the fact that I'm a couple years older than your typical senior, I'm looking for something that adds to the grown up, responsible, and capable aura.

Black Cat smells herbal on me, minty, maybe a little like fresh catnip and bergamot, and I like it more than I have reason to. It's nice on me, nothing breathtaking, but I really like it.

Calliope is a discontinued I'm kicking myself over, as I've just fallen in love with it. Citrus and mint, brilliant and backed with a touch of lavender, settling into thyme sweetened with lemon verbena. It's bright and kicky, invigorating and not too loud. I love it, will have to sell my soul for more.

Envy is gorgeous on me, the mint and lavender is again brilliant for maybe a half hour, but then it settles into something absolutely gorgeous, sweetens, picks up a bit of cinnamon--don't ask me how. But it fades so quickly on me, is so light that I'd pretty much have to use the oil like lotion--all over-- in order to get anything noticeable to anybody else. Which is tragic, as it's really beautiful on me.

Kathmandu is a mixture of wood and spices, smells very grounded and solid, although it's another that's faint after the first hour or so. It's not particularly feminine on me, but it is very strong and settled and smells nice--I like it.

Kostnice goes from somber strong lilies with a resinous, sappy green smell to frankincense to frankincense and a bright and living green floral smell. Slightly soapy at times. It is very calming to me, and although it's not something I would think as "me," I walk around with my wrist glued to my nose when I wear it, breathing deeply and feeling relaxed.

Snake Oil is probably a little too much. Not that it's that strong on me, but it's perhaps a bit too sensual given the situation.

Tombstone is another lively but grounded scent-- for the fist hour, bright, minty balsam over faint cedar, until after a couple hours the cedar comes out sweetened beautifully with vanilla. It's another one I find soothing, although in its first stage it's a bit masculine. I love the cedary vanilla stage, but it stays close to my skin, don't think it wafts really at all.

I will hopefully receive a couple more swap packages before Wednesday, have Szepasszony

Cathedral

Tears

Dana O'Shee

The World

Storm

Glascow

Queen of Sheba

Lolita

Séance

Sacred Whore of Babylon

Endymion

and Horn of Plenty

coming sometime in the next week, some of which may arrive in time for the interview.

So. Good advice?