Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Frolic

Ebon Night

Ebon Night is an oil of deep, profound reflection. It is the revelation found in darkness, an embrace of quiet solitude, and is also a wellspring of mystery, imagination, dark creativity, and shadowy inspiration. It is a healing oil, as sleep and dreams bring solace, and it enables quiet, somber contemplation. This oil is the perfect preamble to working with night deities.

Ok since I rave about this to everyone I guess it's time for me to post a review.

Typically I never remember my dreams. My ritual with this oil is very very simple. I simply dot a tiny bit on each palm and rub them together and inhale. I set my intent, usually "Let my dreams give me insight and guidance." It puts me to sleep faster than nocturne and not only do I remember my dreams but they are so clear and full of meaning.

Okay, so I tried Ebon Night last night mainly because I needed some restful sleep, full of solace. This week has been very trying and stressful, and I didn't need to dream actually. If anything I may have needed to dream less. So I dabbed my chakras and prayed for a restful sleep.

And I was out like a light, and like out in a deep sleep type of way. I think I had two REM cycles, and woke up feeling refreshed. I'm going to try Ebon Night again at some point to simply see if it helps with the dreaming. But for a "put you under and help you sleep even when stress keeps waking you up", this does the trick in a mighty fine way.

It smells like a dark herbal lavender blend. The overall impression is lavender... and darkness.

Ebon Night smells like a combination of lavender, and something that reminds me of Cleric, and something that reminds me of one of the stages I got from Yggdrasil. So, while I won't swear these are the correct notes, I'm going to guess it's lavender and frankincense and some kind of wood note. My mental image is of a forest with a dark, dark pool in it, though there is no aquatic note here. That's just my imagination running away with me.

I used this when I was too annoyed and anxious to sleep one night, needed to be sharp the next morning, and was worried my other sleep oils wouldn't be up to the task. As I was trying to fall asleep, it worked a little like White Light does for me during the day--anytime I tried to obsess, it would refract my thoughts in a million different directions so I couldn't concentrate on the negative thing. And then I got a reasonable amount of deep, dreamless sleep. I used it with the intent of sleep itself, rather than dreams, and I think that's why it turned out that way. I'll update this review when I've tried it with dreams as the intent.

ETA: I think there is also narcissus in this.

ETA2: This continues to be my "big guns" when it comes to sleep. I've been sleeping badly for about a week and a half because I was worrying about a health thing. Even after I got checked out and it turned out to be something much less dire, I'd lay awake at night like "What if they're wrong?" Last night I decided I just really needed some sleep. I used Ebon Night, and this time I recited the whole Hymn to Nyx that goes with it too (the mention of fears in it really resonated with me), and I slept like a rock. Vague memories of dreams. Feel pretty darn good this morning.

Edited by lady_pandora