Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
samarablackcat

Luna Sanguinem Bath Oil

A dark, meditative bath experience, created to facilitate communion with your shadow self: Red rose petals, myrrh, bourbon vanilla, ambrette seed, styrax, and frankincense.

Fresh out of the mail, it's a soft rose (like four rose petals floating in your bathtub), light myrrh sweetened by the bourbon vanilla with just enough resinous base to balance it out. I was afraid of the rose, but it's stellar in this (rose is not my favorite note and tends to be overpowering). FWIT, I'm only testing on skin as a moisturizer, but I would love to take a long bath with this in the tub...it brings to mind royalty in times gone by with ingredients added by ladies-in-waiting. Or scented water Inara would use to bathe.

I used as a moisturizer after my shower as soon as I got this (Friday); I felt so regal at work, unstoppable, nothing worrisome, in charge. Stayed close to the skin and was only able to detect the frankincense upon close sniffing of skin.

As I test again, the frankincense is mixed with the rose upon initial application but still not overpowering, and quickly subsides to the background, balancing, never letting any one note overtake the whole. First testing out of the mail, it got a little powdery/dusty (myrrh?)but I haven't experienced that again.

This is not something that falls in my normal range but something spoke to me and I couldn't click "Purchase" quickly enough. I am so pleased that I did as it exceeds my expectations and is so beautifully blended that I never want to be without. An absolutely gorgeous and feminine addition to the BPTP family.

Apparently my shadow self is queenly; we are pleased to have in our collection and demand more immediately. :heart:

This is fresh out of the mailbox, but I couldn't wait! LS is a musky dark rose sweetened with a dab of vanilla. The frank n myrrh lend a bit of darkness and mystery, but are way in the back. This might be a shadowy distant cousin of Nymphes de Pave without the fig.

It brings to mind the image of someone who is very self possessed yet feminine-like a beautiful, young, but worldly queen. I am becoming very addicted to using Post Bath Oils as a post shower moisturizer and in my hair, so I am very happy to add this one to my stable. Simply gorgeous. :wub2:

I am sooo happy that this works for me! Unfortunately, I had very bad luck with the Luna Sanguinem perfume on my skin mecry.gif, but this has fewer notes, and maybe that helped. This is a lovely soft rose, and that alone is saying a lot, because I usually don't wear or care for rose notes. But the rose is very pretty, not soapy, and softened with the vanilla and the other notes. The frankincense is just present enough to ground the rose, but is not smoky like it can often become. This makes a lovely hand-scent/moisturizer. I've been keeping a bottle in my desk for that purpose, and it's very work-safe, pretty, and feminine, but not too out of my comfort zone. Still "feels" like my BPTP/Lab scents, but more accessible to others, if that makes sense.

Hmm, this may be the only BPTP bath oil that I dislike. It's heady floral with the vanilla only slightly supporting. I think the sharpness is ruining this for me, which the lunar oils can sometimes do. I think I'll try this one again, I can't possible have a Post oil I dislike, dammit!! As with all bath oils, this makes my skin uber soft.

Edit - ohhhh, sadness!! Terrible woe! I just received my second bottle of this, and...it's totally different :cry2: None of the heavy, sexy, narcotic murkiness of Bottle #1, this second one is just soft, thin rose, like it's been watered down by half - I suspect it won't even smell, once put in the bath :sad: About to write to the lab, never had to moan about anything before... This product does say it needs shaking first, and I'm wondering if someone didn't mix it before decanting into bottles, giving me the watery topping. Now I have barely dregs of the Good Stuff! :o

Bottle #1 review:

I just got out of my first bath with this, and I feel awesome :D I think I'm coming down with something ghastly, haven't been able to get warm all day, and a bath with Luna Sanguinem is like a big sexy hug, the scent is so frickin' relaxing, I feel all wonderfully monged out like I do coming back from aromatherapy massages - I think in future it'll be reserved for bedtimes, chillout nights and dealing with anxiety - definitely not for when I want to accomplish things afterwards, heh...

Another thing I love is that the scent has actually clung to my skin afterwards - so many bath products make the BATH smell gorgeous, but not the person in it, whereas this leaves a subtle hint of dark sexy...*rose-stuff* :)

Onwards to the scent - when this first came I had my doubts, initially it smelled gorgeous, but the next time I sniffed it had an odd plasticky smell. I then noticed it says 'shake gently before use', and that seems to sort it out, when gently shaken there's no plasticky smell. It smells really *dark* and brooding, there are some scent notes I'm not very familiar with, so it's hard to say what exactly that is (Myrrh? Frankincense?) - certainly it's not the innocent Pink Snowballs type scent that rose and vanilla *can* produce, this is really dark, and rich and sexy (without crossing into the overly mature and civilised Mom Rose territory that OLLA Eve is to me. This is fucking SEXY rose!). The rose and vanilla are there when I try hard to find them, but it's so smoothly blended that the overall impression is just thick brooding sexy darkness, and I love it! I had no idea there was a perfume oil of the same name since I never keep up with lunacies, but I may have to seek some out, for comparison...

It's 9.30pm, I'm generally nocturnal and don't sleep until 4am, but at this point I could quite happily lie on the floor and snooze in front of the TV, I feel so chilled out. My shadow self is a lazy bastard, I guess, but I think I knew that already ;) Ultimate bedtime bath oil, the usual BPAL sleep inducers never touch me, Somnus, TKO etc, but this has knocked me on my ass in a really lovely way!

Edited by DevilsCandyCane

I'm surprised at how much I enjoyed this. It was darkly sophisticated frankincense and myrrh, with a brush of roses and vanilla. It's dark, feminine, and would work perfectly for a date night.

Bust this out when you want some romance. ;)

This is gorgeous! I have only used it as a skin moisturizer, so can't comment on what it's like in the bath.

The scent is a sweet vanilla-incense-rose on me. It goes fantastically well with a lot of my perfumes, as incense and roses are fave notes of mine. I love the sweetness of the bourbon vanilla. The scent has surprisingly good throw and lasts really well too. :evol:

this starts off as an incensy rose-it's warm and contemplative, and I love it. it seems to ge rose, styrax and ambrette seed primarily. after awhile the rose fades and I think it's mostly myrrh and ambrette. so pretty and the dry-down is wonderful too. I love scents like this! I definitely need more.

Edited by theseagrows

I was hoping for something similar to Rose Cross oil, and Luna Sanguinem fits the bill. I can best describe it as "creamy red rose" with a very slight undertone of frankincense. I think it's the myrrh and styrax lending the slightly creamy note. Unfortunately, the scent doesn't seem to last long, even applied directly to skin. Really nice right before bed, though.