Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sistinas

Ahathoor

Hail unto Thee who art Ahathoor in Thy triumphing, even unto Thee who art Ahathoor in Thy beauty, who travellest over the heavens in thy bark at the Mid-course of the Sun.
Tahuti standeth in His splendour at the prow, and Ra-Hoor abideth at the helm.
Hail unto Thee from the Abodes of Morning!

From the vial, there is the pungent, yet dry and slightly spicy scent.

As it dries on my wrist more, i can detect amber, very mild and mellow, mmmm. To me the Amber is sweet, mildly spicy yet light. You have to hunt for the scent, but you are rewarded with it's wonderful scent.
It took me a while to figure out what the spicy scent was and it finally hit me. Carnation!!I kept thinking I knew there was something familiar about it and it was driving me crazy. I find this blend to be wonderful scent to wear with Lush's Potion Lotion. This fragrance is light but seems to have a nice staying power, I have had it on for over a few hours and it has lasted nicely.

In the bottle Ahathoor is light and somewhat spicy.

Wet it seems to be the same. Light, spicy. Very pleasant.

As it dries, the scent deepens. I can't detect any specific notes, but it's warm and smoky. Almost incensey, but not in an overpowering way. Nice. I like it alot.

Another lovely scent from the lab :P

Ahathoor:

Upon first application: Pungent...citrussy. Maybe grapefruit?

After a few seconds: Oh, wait...not so pungent anymore. It's softer, a creamy mellow citrus. And definitely a hint of yellow flower, though I'm not sure what kind of flower. I just know that to me it seems yellow.

After a few minutes: Like the other Stations of the Sun, I definitely detect an incensy/resiny base. But it's not as strong in Ahathoor as the others. I'm wodering if I'm detecting the tiniest little bit of civet, too?

Conclusion: Just double checked, and this is the mid-day sun. Holy crap...these stations of the sun are just blowing me away! They are just so spot-on...so incredibly well executed! Which, of course, is hardly a surprise.

This one is beautiful...

i can't believe how gorgeous this is. this may sound dumb, but it makes me feel much more connected to the sun. it's the perfect blend of spicy and sweet. it's amazing how a scent can just feel "dry" like this. i want the rest of the stations so bad now.

Mmm..first sniff is biting, a spiced up lemon liquor.

On the skin: It smells creamier, yet fizzy at the same time..like a creamy lemon vanilla Pez candy :D

Afterhours: a soft, silky sugary lemon/vanilla sweetness

This is very very nice. :P Glad I went ahead and ordered the 5ml

Edited by Astburygrrl

MMM this is the first of the solar collection for me to try. Ahathoor is a sweet orangy cinnamon stick in a bundle of crushed cloves. Theres frankincense or Sandalwood? possibly both. I smell something like a flower, a big orange flower, like a marigold. Very beautiful, It really starts to morf into almost an anisette sweet and sour something, so hard to explain. It is pleasing.

Edited by Nadirah

this is very much like carnation cookies with cinnamon and some light citrus frosting on top - without being foody at all!! it also immediatly brightened my day - soft and not overpowering, very very dry and like the midday sun.... :P im having an idea that ahathoor and chimera would layer in a really delicious way.....

Out of the four sun scents Ahathoor was the most subtle, and I also think that these notes are the hardest to place!

I agree with the general impression of a soft, creamy, slightly sweet yellow fragrance. I'm also detecting the carnation, but the rest is so well blended I'm having a really hard time placing notes. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that this had some vanilla, anise, amber, or lemon.

Whatever the actual notes are, this sure is yummy!! I'm just so impressed with the sun scents. :P

Ahathoor...

I detect woods and amber most strongly in this. It seems like a lighter amber to me than in other amber scents I've tried. It's very golden. There's also a very light citrus, and a hint of spice. I love scents with wood notes in them, and I think this scent is very well balanced. It isn't overpowering at all, but it is definitely a noticeable scent. I like it better on Ryan than on me. I think it's pretty masculine, and while I will happily wear masculine scents, I think it's better suited to his skin than mine. It's warm and bright and golden, perfectly suited to the midday sun. I didn't think I was very interested in the Sun scents, but this scent has me thinking otherwise. Now I'm curious about the rest! :P

First sniff: Somehow Ahathoor seems darker than Khephra, which doesn’t make much sense. :P It has the same sort of warm enveloping presence, but shadowed.

Wearing: Darkened amber (I think it’s amber, anyway), gentle spice and an edge of sharpness. And… ooh. A few minutes of drying and the aura is just fantastic – I feel like my skin has a soft bronze glow. It develops an incensey undertone once it dries completely, but that’s only apparent right on my skin.

"You are my sunshine, my only sunshine, you make me happy when skies are grey." :D

This was a freebie from the ever-generous lab. On me, it was one of those instantly amazing scents - very warm, bright and sweet.

I have a hard time placing all the notes individually. If I had to compare it to another blend, it would be Morocco, but with citrus. Wet, it was like a orange creamsicle and as it dried down it was warmer and drier but still sweet a little spicy...I agree that there is probably carnation here. :P

Since I usually read scent descriptions for notes that do or don't work with my chemistry before making a purchase, I'm delighted the Lab threw this imp into my order. The lack of description usually moves a scent towards the bottom of my to-try list, and that would have been a shame.

I know the notes in Ahathoor, I really do. They just blend together so beautifully that they're very hard to pick out, and I feel like a heel for not being able to better discern them. Since I can't resist trying to figure them out, I'm going to peg the light, almost delicate wood note as balsam. It's hard to tell with the Egyptian Amber, which delights my nose but always confuses it - it has such a sweet, liquid quality to it, and the balsam is dry without being dusty to me. There might even be just a drop of heliotrope in this Ahathoor, because it has that sunny citrus velvety tone that I associate with heliotrope. The idea of Kyphi incense flickers across my nose every now and again, too, but it's also something that I think would have to be one of the minor components, if it's even there at all.

Ahathoor is symbolic of noontime sun, but it feels very much like summer to me, for some reason. It's a very striking and warming scent, but not because it's warm in and of itself.

I haven't decided on a bottle of this, but only because I already have a giant bottle of Tarot: The Sun that I adore. I'm going to go through the imp and see what I decide about this decidedly wonderful scent.

Edited by jj_j

I do Moon but not Sun magick--it's a Goddess thing, what can I say?--so I might not have tried Stations of the Sun had not the lovely Lab sent this as a freebie.

Ahathoor is indeed both hot and dry--the sun over a desert, and the layers of what *seems* to be amber and incense evoke the Sun over Morocco (i.e. the fragrance as well as the place--I think they would layer well). Now that jj_j said "balsam" I can completely see that--there's a pale woody note underneath. I question the heliotrope, though, b/c that note is *vile* on me and my skin tends to pick it up even in small amounts, but there is certainly no vileness here! :P So if there is any, it's so blended in as to be harmless on me.

Edited by Laurel_the_Woodfairy

First sniff:

Uh-oh, I think I detect amber in this one. That doesn't bode well for poor Ahathoor (anyone else notice the name discrepancy between the site and the labels?) since amber hates my skin and turns into spoiled milk on me. I also smell something that smells almost exactly like sassafrass, although I can't imagine why that would be in this blend. I think there may be some frankincense in this, too, but I could be wrong.

Wet on skin:

I swear I still smell sassafrass! I smell like flat rootbeer! That's really bizarre. If there's no sassafrass in here, I'd love to know what's causing the rootbeer note. Strangely enough, but of the Stations I've tried (Tum and Ahathoor) have smelled like pop on me...I'm wondering if one of the others will smell like cherry cola right about now. :P

I'm almost positive there's frankincense in here, too, or something that smells very similar. If there's amber in here, it's behaving itself for once, though. To me, Ahathoor smells sweet and rootbeerish with a hint of something resiny that I'd swear was frankincense in the background.

Dry down:

There's still a faint sassafrass vibe here in the background, but I'm getting mainly something sweet and resiny. Regardless of what's actually in here, I smell sassafrass and frankincense and possibly amber of some sort. Normally I'd love this kind of scent, but, for some reason this is disagreeing with me and giving me a bit of a stomach-ache. :D

The bottom line:

Interesting, but I don't think Ahathoor likes me very much. :D

I also smell the sassafras/ root beer scent, but more than that, a note of opium/ laudanum... narcotics! which I like to wear, actually :P

anyway, it's sort of a sweet incensey scent with a bit of sandalwood or something. I do like it but prefer laudanum (which I'd recommend if you like this one). very nice though!

allelujiah sent this imp as a freebie! Thanks! :P

I'm not even going to try to figure out the notes. It smells like a creamy lemon in the bottle but dries down to a very dry, spicy (but not traditionally "incense-y") scent. I imagine it to be the scent of a Egyptian market -- exotic spices mixed with warm, dry winds, and maybe a hint of woods.

It's quite beautiful, although very different from my normal choices. It's only drawback is the total lack of throw - I have to bring my wrist to my nose to smell it.

When I first tried this, I was fascinated and adored that mysterious floral topnote, the carnation, and the creamy yellow/amber richness. On second try, I found the drydown almost nauseatingly sweet after the spicy carnation fades... I've got to swap it. Sad... I really loved how it starts. :P

I'm curious what the flower is. I imagine it to be white and waxy...it reminds me of something I've smelled while visiting Florida.

In the Bottle spicey clove

Wet spices and herbs....... something creamy tucked away underneathe trying to come out. Don't know where I stand with this one. Hmmmmm it's becoming more resiny as it dries.... it's interesting, and I can't tell if it's in a good way or a bad way....... somewhat smokey, dark, rich....

Drydown There's a note in bpal that makes the perfume smell exactly like a roaring fire in a fireplace...... wood burning..... I don't know what it is, but it's here. It gets strong for about 20 minutes, then fades away like dying embers.

Two Hours Later It's settled back to a warm melting spice...... ::sniffs:: it's okay, not bad......

Verdict Not big on cinnamon...... ehh...... this one was okay.

Ahathoor

I got this as a freebie from the lab.

Preconceived notions: I thought the entire Solar Collection was a neat idea, though I was most looking forward to Khephra.

In the vial: Wow - this definitely smells like a hot, bright, summer day. The cinnamon comes out first, but I get a sense of greenness, too, like a summer day of mowing the lawn. Very fresh.

On me: This is definitely one that has a difference between how it smells close to the skin, and how it smells wafting. The wafting scent is a lot like the “in the vial” scent - very light, airy, fresh, and hot/spicy. Closer to the skin, the spice is much stronger, to the extent that I don’t get the freshness as much. Furthermore, the spices are much more complex - I think I’m getting some nutmeg and allspice in there, as well as maybe some black pepper. I don’t like allspice (I’ve recently discovered that it’s the culprit in every “spiced candle” or “pumpkin spice” flavored coffee, etc.), and for some reason, it’s all I can smell.

Overall: It doesn’t change much. Just allspice, with an occasional green cedar background. This one’s going to be swapped. I just can’t do the allspice.

I was immediatelty struck by a dissonant note in Ahathoor: the strange green burning incense that I disliked in Delphi. However, it was immediately tempered by a sickly sweet clove.

While neither of these scents were appealing as notes, they blended together in an appealing way. The harshness of the incense was balanced by the sweetness of the clove. And the intensity of the bright green aspect was met with the mellowness of the clove.

This is too odd a scent for me but I found it strangely compelling.

Ahathoor was a giftie imp from the lab. :P

In the Vial - Herbish with maybe something similar to mint in it.

Wet - Maybe a little mint is in it? Or maybe some Sage or another herb? It's a bit spicy.

Dry - It's minty with something like sage in it I think, not as minty as before but... I'm not really sure how to describe it or what's in it. It's dry though it seems... It's Spicy though, I can smell that.

Conclusion - It's nice and complex but not my type of scent. I won't be buying a big bottle and will be trading this.

wow! its amazing how different everyone's reviews are on ahathoor!

i didn't like the way it smelled in the imp, but it changed on my skin into something that i did like. my first thought was ylang-ylang. then a woodsy tone. . .maybe cedar.

when i read the reviews, someone else said root beer, and it made sense to me. it does smell like root beer a bit in the wet stage. but on me, the over-sweetness goes away as it dries, and i really like it. it is a languid smell. with a citrusy-cedary background ... yum.

don't know yet if i will put it on my big bottle list, but i am keeping the imp.

at first: very strong. citrussy.

on: intense. citrus? maybe a very strong herb?

half an hour later: i think i'm getting some grapefruit now. this is really complex and interesting.

2.5 hours later: sweet and warm. i can't really pick any notes out.

4 hours later: pungent. still a bit sweet, but with some incense thrown in.

6 hours later: still sweet, incensy, and warm.

overall: i really like this. i don't think i'd wear it very often, but it will be good for getting in touch with the sun.

Ahathoor when wet makes me think “bright yellow” and I can pick out lemon in it. It's got the same dry warmth that Khephra has, but this has a sharp astringent note that makes it feel bright instead of smoky—lemon and sage together maybe? (I think there must be sage in it, because it makes me think of sagebrush in the Nevada desert where I used to live.) It's very sharp on me, like the sun rays are shining right in my eyes, ow. As it dries down it gets drier and more sage-y. I don't get any sweetness or softness from it, just blazing hot, dazzling, harsh afternoon sun.

As a shade-loving creature, I can appreciate the art of this, but it's so not me.

Edited by isyche

Vial ~ A sweet, aquatic floral over some sort of incense, resin or spice.

Wet ~ Mostly incense dampened with aquatic flower water.

Drying ~ Grapefruit, kinda. Not the way that R'lyeh was described -- "evil grapefruit; the grapefruit of unholy deeds." This is uplifted, ritual grapefruit. (What does Beth put in this stuff? Obviously, I've gone mad.)

Drydown ~ Dusky, sugar-topped pink grapefruit. (Mad, I tell you.)

Dry ~ Okay, the grapefruit I obviously hallucinated has faded away, and I'm mainly left with a faint, soft, sweetly floral incense.

Fade ~ Huh. This fades into a dusty marzipan.

Final thoughts ~ Hrm. Nothing about this really reminds me of the sun. It's okay, but not doing anything for me. Alas, me and my weird skin.