Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Lycanthrope

The Fimbul Winter

The scent of utter desolation: three long white winters ushering in the end of the world. Endless rolling landscapes of snow and ice, bereft of bud, flower, or seed.

These long, white winters, are very lemony, fresh, and cleansing!

Wet, on the skin, it's a very potent lemon top note. Not so much lemongrass, more lemon balm, over a hint of a eucalyptoid mint. Maybe a form of eucalyptus that is minty? Throw is very light, but so very fresh. It's not super snowy, so I don't get much of Beth's sweet, soft powder. This reminds me of a very gentle, environmental scent. Maybe there's just a hint of dirt in the background, to get the earthiness and lack of other touches. No sweetness here.

I would say this is kind of like... slushy dirty snowballs, made of lemon ice.

Intriguing. Not what I expected, and not usually my type of ozonic snow, so I can pass on bottling up, I think.

Lemon mints! That’s it.

Doesn’t make me think of “desolation,” more like a lemon sorbet or something. It’s not unpleasant, just not what I expected. Simple and bright. In a similar vein to Jabberwocky, I’d say.

bright and refreshing and lightly citrusy but not sweet. more of an amuse bouche served between savory courses than a dessert. a little bit of a cologne with a metallic sheen underneath.

pretty, clean and wearable. has a good throw and held its own for several hours. one of my surprise favorites of the ragnarok scents.

edited after reading the review below me to say that yes, this is indeed a sibling to eldritch drunken constellations, which I adore. so close that my nose can't describe the subtle differences, although there are some. fimbul has a slightly bigger throw and lasts longer. if I didn't have eldritch and a backup, I would get a bottle of this as well and love and wear them both.

Edited by annemathematics

Lemon, ozone, and eucalyptus giving way to mint during the dry down. It also seems to lean a little floral as time goes on. If you like the recent Eldritch Drunken Constellations or Yellow Snowballs, this is in the same neighborhood.

Edited by MCS4096

In the imp: Lemon and eucalyptus. This smells very medicinal.

Wet on skin: It's softer on my skin. More lemon, less medicine. The mint's still there, though.

Dried down: Lemon and mint beautifully blended together. Kind of like a softer lemon halls.

Throw: This one has a decent throw.

Verdict: *** 1/* Very pretty, butI don't see myself reaching for it over most of my other scents. I think I'll pass on this one.

In the decant: Lemon, indeed! Lots of lemon and ozone. Perhaps making lemony snowcones were a favorite pastime of the Norsemen during the three long winters. :P

Wet: I am mostly getting lemon from this at the moment. This is not a sweet lemon, though.

Dry: Lemoooon! There is ozone and mint (or something giving a chilling effect) as well. It feels cold on my skin now.

Verdict: This wasn't really what I was expecting for a snow scent. I won't be needing a bottle of this one.

Edited by dementia_divine

Lemon, ozone, eucalyptus.

This is slushy snow, eucalyptus and a bright pop of lemon. Not desolate at all. Not entirely welcoming either.

It's like a winter storm. It just is.

"And the storm doesn't care what it leaves behind", to quote a song. That's what this feels like.

in the decant: Lemon mint ice. WTH?

Wet: Cool lemon and cold mint.

The dry-down: Faint scent of lemons, a hint of mint, a breath of coolness (not really much ozone). Disappointing. I had hoped for something in the same family as Moon of Ice or Countess Dolingen of Gratz, w/ lots of icy ozone. If you like Numb or Nuclear Winter, but found them too cold lemon minty, get this.

Edited by thekittenkat

In bottle: Very minty snow with lemon and a kiss of sugar. The mint and lemon give it bite, but there is sweetness and a surprising softness underneath. Given the tength and type of mint, no skin test.

Edited by Gwydion

This one sadly doesn't have much staying power on me, but for as long as it does last it smells sharp and fresh and sort of minty. I would have guessed the snow note would be more like the one in Nuclear Winter, but it's actually quite different, albeit still very fresh. Almost green, I would say.

That's pretty much all I get from it, and it fades quickly into a very skin-close mint.

It's definitely pleasant, but not the sort of snow scent I would usually go for, so I think my decant is enough.

INB: An almost cleaner fluid scent, with something else slightly green.

Wet: Pretty faint. I have to dab a second drop on my skin to start getting this. It's cold, green and herby as it blooms. Very removed from the lemon pledge ozone winter notes usually do on my skin. I see myself wearing this a lot in the summer. It's crisp, cool and light.

Drying: Not getting anything really minty (thank god). Instead this reads as a very green ozone, slightly lemony, a bit sappy and very frosty. It's bordering on soapy, but not tipping into unfortunate territory.

Dry: I'm really digging this dry stage. Something's shifted a little into faintly amber or incense, and while the soapy cleanness doesn't go away, the scent is complex enough that I really don't mind. It's not leaping to the top of my summer scents list, but it is surprisingly good on my skin.

Mint and ice. If anyone is head over heals in love with Polar Bear Plunge, this is almost a dead ringer to that one, of which I use only on hot hot hot days. :)

An even-more nauseating knockoff of Nuclear Winter, which I didn't like either. There’s no lemon; just stomach-turning menthol. Off to swaps for someone else to enjoy.