Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
GypsyRoseRed

Selbstverliebt Bath Oil

An exercise in self-love: sugared jasmine with vanilla and black orchid.

Gotta be careful with jasmine - if it's combined with the right notes, it can be gorgeous, but too much of it can give me a headache. This scent is definitely jasmine and sugared cream, smooth and sweet without being sickly at all. So pretty! You don't need to wear a perfume if you use this one in your bath, because the scent is definitely present without being overwhelming.

Wheeeeee sweet vanilla jasmine! :wub2: I knew that I would love this one because I love jasmine, but I don't think that it will be everyone's cup of tea. It smells a bit like Lush's Tender Is the Night to me, which is totally fine by me. I also have the impression that Selbstverliebt is like Autumn Dusk's spring sister, with honey and cream in place of copal and myrrh.

Creamy sugared jasmine yum. I used a drop on my skin to test the scent- this is gonna layer beautifully with Snake Oil and half of my other perfume oils! I cannot wait to try a bit of this in the bath! Gorgeous non "stinky" jasmine. :-)

I tried this in the bath a few nights ago and it prompted me to slather it all over as a moisturizer (mixed with a vanilla lotion) the next day...

This is some addictive stuff. I have a backup on the way and I would get a third if I could afford it.

Love.

Try layering some Celeste over this...it is amazing!!!

ETA: layered this with La Lugubre Gondola omg yes!

Edited by Herb Girl

Very similar jasmine to the recent Sampaguita, which pleases me greatly! Sweet jasmine and nothing else.. the other notes just round it out. Very beautiful!

I am a fan of jasmine (the stinkier the better!) so I had a strong inkling I would love this and I wasn't wrong! The jasmine note isn't overpowering at all, and the vanilla adds a silky sweetness. Just gorgeous! I think even if you're not a huge fan of jasmine as you think it's too strong, I urge you to try this one as it's a very soft and sweet version. I am so glad I learned the forum tip of wearing bath oils like you would perfume oils because I will definitely be wearing this on a day to day basis.

Do you love jasmine? You will adore this.

Do you hate jasmine? This might change your mind.

Jasmine - like my personal favourite, vetiver - is a tricky note. It's complex and kind of difficult. Depending on the note, it can be fresh and spring-like or musky and animalic in a way that evokes various bodily fluids to some people. (I often get a weird salty cotton-candy vibe from some varieties of jasmine as well - I thought that was unique to me, but I recall Murakami in one of his novels (I believe Kafka on the Shore?) describing jasmine blossoms as smelling like cotton candy and the sea).

Selbstverliebt has all the best features of jasmine to me - white-flower coolness with just the faintest touch of salty-musky funk for sex appeal. The orchid is bright and tropical, and the vanilla adds a creamy sophisticated sweetness. This is what I would imagine the Hanging Gardens of Babylon would smell like - lush, sensuous and decadent.

I'm a huge jasmine fan, so was very much looking forward to this. In the bottle, the jasmine is quite heady and strong, and I was thinking it would be the musky "stinky" variety. But in the bath, the scent mellows into a soft, sweet jasmine, with hints of creamy vanilla to balance the bright florals. The scent lasts a long time on my skin, and I love it!

Ahhh, I just have to stop ordering scents with jasmine. Haven't found one yet that works for me. This has the same jasmine that I disliked in last year's Quicken the Soul Through the Blood. Bummer.icon_sad.gif

I sniffed all my decant bath oils last night, and I think I'm in big trouble :eek: They all smell amazing to me. Even though I find the Lab's jasmine note kind of sour at times, this must be the Night Blooming variety, which I do like, or combined with something that tempers the sourness. Because I LOVE IT :wub2: I'm getting the most delicious vanilla, the base, which is pretty much a dead ringer to Antique Lace to me. In fact, I the throw is pretty much the same, it's just up close that I can smell the jasmine. I haven't ordered a full bottle from The Post in years, but I'm about to, or I'll get someone to order it for me. This is worth the shipping, it's that good! Try it peoples!!!! :joy:

This is definitely for jasmine lovers, of which I am one. The description says it all, but there's just something about that black orchid note—I don't know what it is, but it makes everything else in a blend smell like it's been slowed down and sultry-fied. I tend to use the bath oils and moisturizers after I shower rather than in the bath, and Selbstverliebt is so strong that I have to be careful—a little bit goes a long way! But it's become something of a habit for me to dot some of it on after a shower on a Saturday or Sunday—and I look forward to catching wafts of the jasmine the rest of the day.

Sweet creamy vanilla jasmine. This jasmine straddles the line between cat pee and smelling like fresh jasmine blossoms. The sweet creaminess of this is subtly sexy and drop dead gorgeous.

Very sensual, feels super pampering. Unfortunately, no one in this house really enjoys jasmine. If it had been any other flower, I would have kept it.

Gorgeous. I love the orchid note and the sampaguita took me from liking some jasmines to unffff love. Or maybe it is because this shares the same jasmine note as sampaguita did. Perfect for layering with either my orchid perfumes or my jasmine beauties although it certainly is strong enough to stand on its own. I should definitely have ordered more. Much much more. Every time I bathe in this I am reminded of the orchid from Great Vampire Bat. Not as high pitched an orchid as Shadow Witch Orchid but lusher.

:wub3:all around.

Edited by elka

Origin: Snagged from the BPTP Etsy store

Initial Thoughts: I wanted to try this back when it arrived last year, but by the time I had money to spend on Lupers, it was out of stock and didn't come back. I'd see it pop up on Etsy now and again, but it never stayed long enough for me to buy it. I have discovered that the right combo of sweet and floral is pure bliss and love jasmine and vanilla as notes.

In the Bottle: Sweet and jasmine and vanilla and lily-ish. It's slightly darker and more like a classic perfume than my other sugary florals - I think that's the vanilla.

On my Skin: I tried to get a single drop on the back of my hand since my palms are covered in a heavily rose Chaos Theory HG, but the bottle refused to cooperate and I had to squeeze a bit on the palm to dab on my other hand. The mix of this and the rose HG made for a VERY intriguing combo that I must explore if I keep the HG.

But I digress. Selbstverliebt on me is heavier on the vanilla than the florals. I find that I am absolutely okay with this as the sugar and vanilla keep the jasmine from going too sharp and the orchid from going soapy or green. It hugs the skin, which is also a good thing as that means I can rub some on my elbows or do a quick sugar scrub in the shower before work and not offend anyone.

Verdict: Gorgeous. I hope this is revisited sometime, but in the meantime I shall stalk Etsy for more.

Edited by puck_nc