Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
LiberAmoris

From You I Have Been Absent in the Spring

White lilies, vermillion roses, vanilla orchid, sweet clove, white frankincense, velvety brown oudh, cistus, styrax, aged red patchouli, and a hint of black peppercorn.

From You I Have Been Absent in the Spring is the most unabashed floral from my order—the lilies and roses and orchids bloom on the skin like a huge bouquet when first applied. At first the other notes sit well below that tumult of flowers, and provide a subtle warm, resiny, woody base, but after about a half hour, the top notes settle down. Then the most prominent notes are the lilies, orchid, frankincense, and oudh. The clove and patchouli and pepper are more subtle—I can pick them out if I concentrate on them, but they're not prominent. Then it goes through a bit of an awkward phase on me where the notes seem a little muddy or soapy—could just be my hormones/chemistry. And then it somehow mellows even more to a very nice vanilla-infused lily.

This isn't an incensey blend on me or one with thick base notes to fill in the higher pitched florals—although both the frankincense and oudh become stronger with wear. It feels like a classic perfume, like perfume from some gorgeous '50s flacon. There's something retro and glam about it that I really like, even though I might not be up for a headstrong floral every day of the week. :)

In the imp: Hmmmm.... there's something very sharp and bitter in this imp, and I'm not sure I like it.

Wet on skin: Same as in the imp. I'm not really sure I can identify what this reminds me of, but I don't like it. It's too astringent.

Dried down: ::Sigh:: it's softer, but the bitter astringency hasn't really calmed down in the drydown

Throw: Almost none.

Verdict: *** Well, this isn't for me.

Floral fans rejoice! From You I Have Been Absent in the Spring is like pressing your face into a bouquet and huffing that airy scent. I don't get much in the way of the other notes here, just a light, pleasant floral (though sharper in the imp).

Lilies, clove, oudh.

So this one is an odd one - its both a mixture of light and dark. The lilies, orchid and roses are very light, and then you get the dark clove, oudh and a swirl of patchouli.

Fun, but not for me.

As LiberAmoris said, a very retro and glam floral blend. Like something worn by a super cool and mysterious woman from another era. The roses and orchid are bold and strong, and the patchouli and frankincense bring a sexy hippie vibe. But I agree with Magycmyste, there's some unnameable note that's sharp, astringent, like cleaning products. The cistus or styrax, maybe...I'm not too familiar with them. Takes away from an overall pleasant perfume.

For me the stand out notes are:lily, frankincense and pepper. I'm not sure how often I would wear it but I like it and I was surprised that bf did too, but I think it's the pepper, he's a pepper addict.

White floral soap of the hotel room variety. In fact, I wouldn't even get any floral if I didn't peak at the notes. Strong, sharp and abrasive. This one is pretty bad on me.