Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
xochitl

Penthus

The Greek God of Tears, Patron of Mourners, who dictates and accepts honors paid to the dead. He is the personification of grief and the sorrow and emptiness that comes from loss. Weeping is his hymnal, and this is his perfume. Salt tears over white roses, the fumes of thin funereal incense and the hollowness of calamus.

in the imp: this is too weird- it smells like...tacos. especially the cilantro aspect. :shrug:

wet on skin: it's a very 'clean' floral, though i don't get any rose from it, but maybe i'm picking up on the 'tears' part?

dry down: it's gone all soapy :P

in all: me no like soapy.

Bottle: Withered funeral flowers drowning in a sea of salt.

Wet: The white roses slowly float to the surface and become the dominant note as opposed to the sicky salt.

Dry: Still prodominantly a rose scent, which doesn't work on me. I am extremely picky about florals and this scent confirmed that rose is my nemisis. The aquatic salt is still lingering in the background and it stings my senses. I feel like I am drowning in a paradoxical river of dying florals sprinkled with the tears of a grieving widow...

In the bottle: Fresh; bright citrus and white flowers.

Wet: A straight white, perfumey floral. A wee bit heady. Clean and feminine. Faintly, herbs, woods, and powder cast shadows.

Dry: Definitely going more to powdery soap as it dries.

Summary: White florals over mild powdery soap. Low throw, moderate lasting power.

This is gorgeous. I'm kicking myself for not getting a bottle.... there's the slightest whiff of lemon, I think. The rose is light and there's green in the background. A very beautiful, pensive scent.

Strong salt air and roses - don't know if I like it yet.

Later on - well, crap, someone stuck the salty roses in a bucket of rancid mop water.

In the imp, I mostly get the saltyness--it really does smell like crying.

Wet--salty rose. As it dries, the roses go to potpourri (as they are wont to do) and the salt tears fade to more of the background. There is a certain sharpness that is neither salt nor rose, and I can't quite place it...Not much on the incense here, which is odd as that is a note that I tend to pick up on when it is present.

An interesting blend. Not something I'd wear.

In the imp and wet: Very soapy rose scent

Dry: This dries to such a thin delicate rose fragrance that there's almost nothing to talk about. It is a very wispy scent and it's pretty much gone after 30 minutes.

Nice while it lasted.

I like rose and incense and was intrigued by the salt tears aspect. Sniffing the bottle I can smell a very light floral, reminiscent of a childhood perfume. Possibly when I made my own by putting rose petals into water! I'm not sure this will have much throw or staying power on me though.

Once on I can smell flowery soap, not great. There doesn't seem to be any throw and I'm still searching for the salt tears.

When dry it just smells of soap, imperial leather actually. I never did find the salt tears or even a whiff on incense. I won't be wearing it again.

In the imp, I smell incense alone.

Wet, more incense, along with a salty note. This, so far is gorgeous.

Dry, this is quite funereal, but not depressing. It fits the description well, and I like it perhaps more than it's safe for me to do so, given that it is discontinued. It's driving me crazy though, because it's reminding me of something, but I can't think of just what...but other than that, definitely a keeper, if only for special occasions. Can't go using it up too quickly, right?

I intially purchased this, before it was dc'd, as a possible tears/salt water scent.

In the vial: Salt water and bitter incense.

On me: Salt water predominantly, pure and liquid. Behind that, thin bitter incense and just a breath of rose. Within an hour, the intensity of the salt water dies down and the scent becomes lighter and less bitter: gentle white rose and soft incense, dipped in salty water. Somber and wistful, this is most certainly a funerary scent, but it's more pretty than dark or threatening. The colors are white and a very dark warm gray, almost black. It's a gentle scent with a decent-to-low throw and low staying power.

Verdict: I'm not sure. Something I get nothing but a huge headache out of Penthus (no doubt the aquatic); the rest of the time it's lovely salt, which is wonderfully true and exactly what I'm after, but I'm not crazy about the incense and rose that accompany it—even though they are quite pretty. This certainly hasn't become my go-to tears scent. I'm not sure, yet, whether I'll keep or trade my imp; I definitely don't need to seek out more.

I found this very salty when wet, but was relieved that the saltiness faded into a lovely rose. I'm not a fan of salt (hated Pool of Tears) but Penthus just works so brilliantly!

In bottle/imp: Sweet resinous incense and light, sweet flowers.

Immediately on skin: The incense note is strongest in this, but it’s mixed in with very sweet rose and some other flowers (I am not familiar with calamus). There’s a freshness to this, which I feel is the salt tears, but the incense and rose drown it out almost completely.

After a few minutes: This is very strong, sweet resinous incense and roses with just a touch of saltiness. It’s an almost overly sweet scent on me, and the incense is a very myrrh-like note. It’s only a little bit smoky and very resinous.

Overall Impressions: This is a very nice rose and incense scent. The incense borders on overly sweet on me, but it may be smokier on other people. It’s a very simple but nicely blended scent and seems very wearable, but not perfume-y.

Why oh why did I try this? It is beautiful and I can't get anymore. :D

It started off smelling like a salty rose incense. Very interesting.

Then it went through a slightly soapy rose phase.

Now though it smells like fresh roses left near an open window of a beach house. The salt air drifts in mingling with the scent of the roses.

It's gorgeous and I need more! :P

ETA: Now it has taken on a more incense feel to it, which is fine with me. :D I think I like it even more now!

Edited by Femme_Fatale

I've gathered up all the imps that have been multiplying in the corners of my house, stuffed them all into a shoebox (ok, so it's a child-size shoebox, but IT'S STILL A SHOEBOX STUFFED FULL OF IMPS!!!!), and have been determined to test them all ... randomly grabbing an imp or two a day. Today's candidate was Penthus. It almost didn't make it to a skin test, because out of the imp it had a sharp yet cloying note to it ... something bordering on vaguely chemical. It stayed that way for awhile on my skin, gradually mellowing down to a indeterminate, yet white smelling, soapy floral. Checked the notes when I finally got to my computer and realized that it was likely the water notes that were like nails on a chalkboard to me, closely followed by rose. Urk! It's tolerable now that it's dried down some, but not worth the wait.

Oh Penthus. Like Sepulcher and Tears, it's a 'sad' scent. Penthus is very light: roses and salty tears and incense. Makes me think of a small, cold chapel.

Man, am I happy I have an imp of this discontinued beauty! It's everything the descriptions says. The scent of brokenhearted weeping next to a vase of white roses whose petals have started to fall in sympathy. Dude, I have to quit reading The Shadow of the Wind - 's making me melancholy, but this smells exactly as I pictured Penelope, trapped in her room.

That's a nice floral. Heavy, thick, night blooms. Unfortunately the type that becomes sharp and soapy on me.

Imp: Salty tears over roses is right
Wet on Me: the salty tears vibe is what is so far keeping the roses at bay for me.
Drying Down: the saly aquartic keeps the roses from amping like they usually do on me.
Dry: I still have a hard time with rose but this fades instead of amps on me. this almost goes soapy.

I got this with an Ebay imp lot I purchased. My skin really seems to amp incense, I get some of the rose and salty tears, but mainly muddled incense. What a bummer, but I do still want to try more salt, aquatic scents...just ones sans incense.

Bleck. I don't know what I am smelling, but it doesn't like me. Sour! Bitter! I don't get any white rose or incense. I don't even get salt. Just a weird sour funkiness. Not for me!