Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
SadariEvenstar

Krampuslaufen

On December 5th, the eve of St. Nicholas day, a veritable storm of Krampi swarm the streets of Bavaria. Wielding sticks and chains, they inspire the hearts of naughty children with terror. Smoke, fur, and rusty chains with apple schnapps, malted chocolate bonbons, and Bavarian mints.

Krampuslaufen smells wonderfully of Christmas to me. My grandmother used to bake a truly massive amount of cookies when I was younger. Traditional Polish ones, American ones, Italian ones the recipes of which she got from her sister's Italian mother in law, even Baklava from a recipe she got from an old Greek neighbor. She would give us all of these pack haphazardly in a huge disposable roasting pan. This smells a lot like pulling the foil off of that - not really cookie but all the bits and bobs that went into them. It should be discordant but some how it's not. It doesn't really smell of apple, or smoke, or chains. It smells nothing like what I expected it to. There seems to actually be something like red musk (?) underneath it all tying it together. I don't usually like red musk, but this is reminding me a little of the red musk in Midnight Kiss which I really love. Maybe it's just the way the apple schnapps note is coming across, but I don't smell apple.

All in all it's really well blended and kind of hard for my nose to parse the notes, but I like it and I like smelling like it.

I wanted this one mainly based on the apple, malt chocolate and mint and it does not disappoint. Wet, it is like those alternatives to candy apples you see at fairgrounds, those green apples dipped in melted chocolate and sprinkles and then left to set. Both chocolate and apple notes are a huge win on me so I am loving this even before I skin-test it.

Wet on my skin it remains an apple chocolate blend but I am also getting musk. Red musk, methinks. Then I get the smoke and I'm just in love.

Drydown - apple musk with faint chocolate and smoke.

Twenty minutes after drydown - smoky musk with apple sweetness.

I love this. I really, really love it. :wub2:

In the decant: I am mainly getting the rusty chains and smoke from this. On the second and third sniffs, I can detect the Bavarian mints and the apple schnapps. Curiouser and curiouser!

Wet: Fortunately, the smoke, fur, and rusty chains aren't the dominant notes. The mint is rather prominent, and the apple schnapps is as well. The smoke is lingering in the background. Alas, the malted chocolate doesn't seem to want to make an appearance on my skin.

Other reviewers have mentioned red musk. I am getting that as well. I am wondering if it really is red musk, or if it just happens to be the schnapps that is reminding me of it. I am thinking it is the former.

Dry: A smoky red musk (if that is what it is... maybe it is the schnapps minus the apple, or the rusty chains) with a hint of mint. Well, that was unexpected.

Verdict: I was hoping to get the apple schnapps, malted chocolate bonbons, and Bavarian mints from this. Alas, it ends up being a smoky red musk on me. Unless the boy ends up wanting to wear the scent (he seems to enjoy wearing blends that are heavy on the red musk), I probably won't keep even my decant. :(

*edit* This one actually made me feel rather nauseated and I had to wash it off.

Edited by dementia_divine

In the decant: Slightly sweet musky leather and chains, in a fog of smoke. WHERE'S MY FOOOOOOD?

Wet: Okay, better. I guess the sweetness I'm now getting is from the barvarian mints and chocolate bon bons? :lol: The other notes have calmed down a bit but are still there, just sweeter.

Dry: So, red musk pretty much hates me. I see a lot of people mentioning red musk but what I'm getting from this isn't that. I just think the booze in combo with fur/smoke/leather/chains has combined and smells sort of musky. But on me it's really not strong and overpowering like red musk usually is on me.

This is actually a light blend on me when it dries. Yeah, I smell all the other components I've mentioned but the bon bon chocolate and co. has really tempered this.

This is really interesting, but I'm not sure I'd wear it much.

Edited by MiasmaResonance

Krampuslaufen on wet smells like smoke, fur, and chains with a high pitched alcohol note. It dries to a dusty, slightly minty, fur.

PASS.

This is a whole lot of smoke on my skin! There is a faint sweetness to the scent that may be the chocolate lurking in the background, and I am sensing the apples as well. As others have mentioned, there might be red musk in this, but I'm never good at distinguishing different musks anyway...but there's certainly an animalic quality to it, like the Krampus' fur.

It's a very comforting scent in a weird way, because the contrast is so big between the sweetness and the smoke. I think it evokes the Krampus, the candy, and the holiday atmosphere very well.

I'm probably not getting a whole bottle, though; the decant should be enough, since it's likely not something I would reach for.

In the imp: Soft chocolate with a fruity edge, and a hit of mint.

Wet on skin: Mint mint minty mint.

Dried down: Fruit and mint. This is now a very weird mix.

Throw: A bit of mint. I'm not smelling a whole lot unless I sniff my wrists, though.

Verdict: *** This is interesting, but I don't think I'm in for a bottle. I didn't get any of the smoke, fur, and rusty chains...which might be a good thing, actually. But as much as I love foody scents, I don't think I'll be reaching for this one that often.

Edited by Magycmyste

In the vial I can definitely smell the apple and mint, along with what I think is the metal note and musk. On me, I get baked goodies and apple, yum! Sadly on drydown, it turns to sharp floral apple. WOT :huh?:

In the Imp: Slightly minty, with the barest hint of apple covered on chocolatey sweetness. Underlying all of this is a smoky musk.

Wet: I get the Bavarian mint straight off, not super minty, but definitely cool. Underneath that is what I think is smoke and chain, maybe a slight alcoholic tinge, and a hint of chocolate.

Drydown: The apple schnapps comes to the fore, and this scent dries to fruity powder with the odd scent of smoke and chain underneath.

Verdict: I'm on the fence about this one. It's okay, but not something I need a bottle of. I doubt I'd wear this very much at all.

2.5/5

This is fascinating.

First applied there is a blast of mint and apple schnapps. As it heats up on the skin the chocolate starts to emerge. At this point the red musk is apparent, but not overwhelming. It is kind of reminding me of the scent of the bottom of a purse-- candy, gum, fabric, slight skin/smoke dankness. :lol:

It's weird, but kinda good!

In the bottle - Rusty metal with a waft of mint

Wet on me - Mostly mint with just a hint of something dark beneath it

Dry on me - Something sweet and deep, I imagine the malted chocolate with a mentholly mint

Overall - I quite like the dry down, but I could do with a little less mint

my nose isn't tuned enough to really describe this in the detail it deserves. I can't distinguish the notes enough to be more helpful. it is bright and sweet and there is a nice deeper element balancing it all out. it is playful and not half as weird as I was expecting/hoping. I adore this scent. a bottle now half empty, another one for backup. this is a beautiful and wearing it makes me happy. puts a spring in my step. I have noticed the deeper/muskier (fur chains smoke??) part come out a bit more as the weeks have passed. I feel like this is a dirtier, stranger la befana, even though the sweet notes in each are different.

This is basically a sweeter, spicier Krampus. I love my Krampus, and have a bottle of him, though it is a bit more masculine. Because of the sweetness, this is more wearable, and a nice kick from the spices. I don't need anymore, and though it's nice, it's a bit too foody for me.

Krampuslaufen started out on me as a chocolatey, boozy gourmand scent... and then BOOMF! It all went up in smoke -- rusty smoke, naturally -- and that's the way it stayed. This progression amused me so much that I was astonished to read these reviews and realize it probably wasn't what Beth intended all along. As annemathematics suggested, it may be a result of the scent's aging.

...Or maybe I've just been a bad girl. :twisted:

ETA: Krampuslaufen has a potent basenote (patchouli, I think) that's still with me over 12 24 hours later!

Edited by elbow

Krampuslaufen Imp

Wet/Bottle - Very soft, almost foodie. I get the smoke, apple and a little chocolate.

Wet/Skin (5 minutes) - Schnapps is running the show, with smoke trailing not far behind. Chocolate is playing a small part, but fur and mint are nowhere to be smelled.

Dry/Skin (30 minutes) - It's all playing together nicely, but still no mint.

I'm not huge on foodie scents, and feel like I'd rather have this as an atmo. than an imp. It's nice, but I can't imagine myself wearing it.

Rich chocolate mint (like a ~fancy~ Peppermint Patty!) and smoke. After a few sniffs I catch a whiff of apple.

On me: schnapps and fur! On drydown, I get the metallic clang of chains.

Better in the imp than on my skin. I'll take a pass.

I got this as a frottle with my yule order.

I can definitely see where this isn’t for everyone. It’s very weird, potentially polarizing, with a lot going on. But I like weird and this works on me. It’s very smoky and alhough leather isn’t a note here, I’m getting something leathery here. The fur and chains are definitely there as well making this fragrance smell dark and almost rusty. In contrast to these notes, there is chocolate, and a tiny hint of apple and mint. The best way I can think of describe it is a dark, Christmasy gourmand.

Like I said: it’s weird. There are notes here that seem like they’d contrast each other and I can see how it would be too much for some people. It’s a lot to take in. But it’s very artistic and very well blended. It’s downright strange and unlike anything I own.

I like it, but I like weird. Although I’m new to BPAL, I’ve been collecting fragrances in general for so long that most “typical” smells I already own many of. This is something different even in my large collection, and different from a lot of what I’ve tried. I can see myself wearing it around the holidays when I’m craving a darker alternative to the traditional Christmasy scents.

I received a frottle of Krampuslaufen with my recent order. Thank you Labbies!! In the bottle, I get something sour, fermented, and musty. Freshly applied, oh there is definitely red musk in here! The rusty chains seem to be made from the same red musk as in my beloved Krampus. I can smell a hint of mint, and then whoosh that's gone. It morphs on my skin as it dries down. I can't detect individual notes other than red musk. It's definitely got the feel of a Yule scent. It is like Krampus' sweet sister, minus the leather in Krampus. I like this and will definitely wear it a lot!  

I didn't know what to expect here, with this mishmash of ingredients and, having tried it, I'm still not sure how I feel about it.  It goes through surprisingly great smelling stages and then some that are "meh" to me.  Nothing bad, just "meh."

When wet, the smoke, fur and chains dominate, with some chocolate in the background and maybe a tiny bit of mint?  Then it turns into a sort of gourmand-adjacent scent that's made up of gourmand notes.  I never get the schnapps, but I do get the bonbons (no malted milk, just chocolate) and the mint.  The mint strengthens as it dries and all traces of the fur, smoke and chains is gone, which is disappointing.

I'm on the fence with this one.  It's reminding me so strongly of something else once it dries down; a GC, I think (maybe a discontinued one), but I can't put my finger on which one it is.  I almost think.  Or maybe a mish-mash...a little bit Death on a Pale Horse, a little bit Envy, a little bit Cloister Graveyard in the Snow, but not quite like any of those.