Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
pinkstardust420

Mother Shub's Unmentionable Peppermint Creams

Diabolically decadent! Bone-chilling mint swirled in thick globules of marzipan cream.

I love this scent. I was looking for something that would work like Spooky, but this is quite different. For me, it's a warmer mint -- a green mint rather than a blue mint, if that makes sense. Like others, I find that the mint fades back as time passes and the marzipan comes forward.

In the bottle: Creamy mint
Wet: Bold green flare of mint
Drydown: Softening mint, rising warm almond

The first time I put it on, it seemed to dry down to a slightly musty nutty smell that was less pleasant, but as I've tried it since, either it's aged a little or my skin chemistry has improved, and I like it.

I can't get enough of this.

First Sniff: Sweet peppermint. Not necessarily from cookies (or creams), but foody.

Initial Wet Application: Biting, medicinal peppermint. It makes me think of those red and white swirled Christmas candies.

Dry Down (first 15 minutes): As it dries down, I’m still getting mint but it's a bit more tame. There's a sugary undercurrent to this now too. Still of the menthol variety, but it can’t be mistaken for anything other than mint. It reminds me of creme de menthe too.

My Reaction: This was close to what I was expecting, although I didn’t seem to get the cream part as much. It did make me think sugary sweet, but not in a cupcake sense. It’s yummy and a good clean mint smell though. The throw isn’t really that strong, but it’s definitely an interesting mint!

Rating: 2.5

ITB: It reminds me of the Lick It Yules, but with more marzipan.

Wet: It's like mint ice cream, whipped cream, sugar, and marzipan. I'm not normally a fan of marzipan, but it works here.

Dry: The scent stays pretty true to itself. While foody, the mint, marzipan, sugar, and cream are nicely balanced and refreshing.

Marzipan and mint at first, and what a lovely marzipan it is! Marzipan fades pretty fast, unfortunately, and we're left with mint, the kind that has a cooling effect on the skin. After some more time, it smells dusty with a slight hint of plastic. I loved the marzipan note, but the end stages were just blah.

This is the perfect vanilla mint. Wet it smells like a buttermint. Those soft candies. But as it dries the marzipan comes forward it smells like a soft vanilla to me. The mint fades off a little and what is left is soft with low throw but very soothing each time I sniff my wrist. The peppermint is sweet and friendly...that I appreciate. This is lovely. :wub2:

In the decant: Sweet, vanilla-y mint. I have Lick It Vigorously and this is very similar.

On my skin: yep, still mint. It's not exactly the same as Lick It Vigorously, I think maybe there's a bit more vanilla in this one, but it's quite similar. It reminds me of the inside of a York Peppermint Patty, where Lick It Vigorously is more like somewhere between mint tea and a candy cane. I recently tested Dark Chocolate, Lime, and Chocolate Mint, which was also similar, but that scent had more of a toothpaste-like mint, and this one is more candy. Like Lick It Vigorously, this scent has a skin-cooling effect, but I think not quite as strong.

The drydown has a bit of that Play Doh smell but it's not too bad... but it is there. I don't really get almond or marzipan from this scent (at least not compared to Mother Shub's Cthulhustollen) but there is that sort of creamy-soft smell that's in Snow White as well.

Overall, this is a fun minty scent, but I don't think it's different enough from my bottle of Lick It Vigorously to track down more than a decant.

Edited by sunlitgarden

Wet: creamy peppermint. Not a harsh peppermint at all. Way softer than any Lick it's peppermint. If Lick it is peppermint and sugar, This is peppermint and cream.

Dry: stays very close to my skin, but most mints do that. Peppermint has faded even more. Now you couldn't even tell it's peppermint. You just get a little bit of cold from a mint, but not enough to be able to tell what type of mint. The cream and mint has melded into one another extremely well.

I wanted it to be like one of those amazing butter mint candies that melt in your mouth. This is as close as any perfume has ever gotten. I would say it smells like that candies smell, not the candies taste. Just missing the butter note you get when you taste those candies.

Verdict: from looking at the reviews, I wanted marzipan but didn't get any. Still a great perfume. I love mint with vanillas and cream. I love all the Lick it's. If Lick it was so sharp for your, try this. It's like a more mature, calm, gentle grandmother to Lick it.

Defiantly a keeper! I wish there were more "mint" perfumes.

Sorry for making so many comparisons to the Lick it's, but the notes are very similar.

Wet: creamy peppermint. Not a harsh peppermint at all. Way softer than any Lick it's peppermint. If Lick it is peppermint and sugar, This is peppermint and cream.

Dry: stays very close to my skin, but most mints do that. Peppermint has faded even more. Now you couldn't even tell it's peppermint. You just get a little bit of cold from a mint, but not enough to be able to tell what type of mint. The cream and mint has melded into one another extremely well.

I wanted it to be like one of those amazing butter mint candies that melt in your mouth. This is as close as any perfume has ever gotten. I would say it smells like that candies smell, not the candies taste. Just missing the butter note you get when you taste those candies.

Verdict: from looking at the reviews, I wanted marzipan but didn't get any. Still a great perfume. I love mint with vanillas and cream. I love all the Lick it's. If Lick it was so sharp for your, try this. It's like a more mature, calm, gentle grandmother to Lick it.

Defiantly a keeper! I wish there were more "mint" perfumes.

Sorry for making so many comparisons to the Lick it's, but the notes are very similar.

I'm not sure if this one has aged well, as it's very faint and one dimensional on me. I get a light, sugary peppermint and nothing else. No marzipan, almond or cream. It's Lick It Lite on my skin. Has a cooling effect for the first few minutes, but I can barely smell it at all after an hour.

Strong peppermint, almost sinus clearing haha. No marzipan at all, just lots of creamy sweet peppermint with some vanilla. It's good if you want a strong peppermint, but disappointing if you wanted the marzipan. 

I know a lot of people are making comparisons to the Lick It series, but this really smells close to Don't Lick It since that one is extra sweet (and I haven't tried previous releases). And since I have a bottle of that one, I likely won't be upgrading this.