Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
pinkstardust420

Mother Shub's Unmentionable Peppermint Creams

The Lick-It family have produced an offspring. This is that offspring.

The mint is in-your-face at first but as it settles and the oil begins to dry, the marzipan comes out and we have a wave of creamy sugar. Mint remains the top note and has lasting power that many of the other minty BPAL blends don't have on me. This really does smell like peppermint creams. Bloody gorgeous!

So...I love this. Starts with a super blast of peppermint zing up your sinuses and there's cream underneath. I'm sad because I got the decant specifically because my guy loves creamy mint and he says something about the cream part smells off...hmmm. I'm not smelling anything weird...I will have to wear it when he's not around, lol.

Okay, I know I reviewed this, but it looks like my post got eaten.

In short, it's yummy foody-sweet mint in the bottle. I get the marzipan first on my skin and then it dries down into a lovely creamy and sugary cooling mint. If you want to love the Lick It series but the mint is just too overpowering, give this one a try.

This has lots of sweet, zingy peppermint, like the Lick It series, over a lovely vanilla-cream note with the tiniest hint of marzipan. The throw is light but the wear-length seems pretty go so far. I adore peppermint scents, so I'm very happy with this and considering a bottle in my future. :wub2:

Edited by TheIceMaiden

It's kind of strange, I get candy canes and marzipan at first, and the throw is decent. But after around 40min to an hour, I swear it turns to marzipan and... gardenia??? It's a strange combination, but nice. Not quite what I was expecting.

In the decant: Minty marzipain! The marzipain adds a nice creaminess to the mint. I am looking forward to this!

Wet: Marzipain and mint. There is a blast of marzipain at first, but the mint quickly steals the show. The marzipain is still present, but it has taken a background role. The mint is rather strong for a while, but does not seem to last as long as the mint in Lick It Now.

Dry: A very soft, creamy mint.

Verdict: I really like this, but I wish it had more staying power. However, I think I prefer Lick It Now over this one. I will definitely keep my decant, but I will only end up getting a bottle if my remaining Yule decants aren't made of win.

Sniff in decant: Yep...a blast of mint!!

On Skin: At the moment, smells very close to the Lick It blends...a blast of mint that quickly fades with little throw, but still there.

Drydown: Mint fades and the almond/marzipan note makes an appearance. On me, almonds and marzipan can go either too boozy or plastic on me, so I am always a bit nervous about blends with those notes, this one however seems to be behaving. It has a low throw on me and I think it won't last long. Been a few minutes and I have to put my nose right on my wrist to be able to smell it. Don't think I would need a bottle of this....my decant is good for me!! :)

Oooh, minty! But there's something else there, too, deep, sweet, creamy, definitely like marzipan to me, more than a more general almondy scent. My brother's verdict is: "that's minty fresh!" :lol:

The mint calms down and settles into the marzipan for me--it remains sweet and creamy, and it actually has quite a lot of throw on me, and is lasting well so far after being applied this morning. It's cooling but rich, sweet, not quite almondy cream with just a hint of mint. I love the sweet creaminess of this, and the combination with that hint of mint to give it more of a fresh kick. It strikes me as sweet and rich but not too foody, either. I like it a lot!

I love marzipan in geeneral so I def. want to smell full blown minty marzipan with this. Also, I'm seeing a lot of Lick It __ comparisons, so I'm going to note I've never tested any if the Lick Its before.

In the decant: Very sharply minty with a slight sweet edge, obviously the marzipan.

Wet: Mint! Oh, sweet mint! Still really sharp mint on me, but I quite like it, actually. My nose feels cold from this arctic blast! :lol:

Drying: Since the marzipan makes it nice and sweet, the mint is tempered, but only a little. It's the mintiest thing I've ever smelled from BPAL. I really like this and could see layering it with Snow White, Go to Sleep Darlings, etc., but I'm not sure how often I'd wear something so minty. It's basically like a straight up sweet candy cane on me, though, yum! :yum:

Edited by MiasmaResonance

In the bottle and wet, this is pure peppermint - definitely a cousin of the Lick It family.

On dry down, the peppermint fades, into what my nose started out thinking was a kind of dusty cookie scent, but as I keep sniffing I think the dust is more.. powdered sugar? At the end of long sniffs, I get some sweet wintergreen mintiness, but it's subtle.

I wish it were a bit stronger on the mint, and a bit stronger of a scent in general.. I have to put my nose on my wrist to smell anything. I like it enough to keep the decant, but unless this changes significantly over the next couple hours, I don't see myself getting a bottle.

Didn't get any marzipan at all. This is a very pleasant, light peppermint. Less intense than the Lick It series, but also doesn't last as long. I like it, but will just use up my decant.

To me, this smells exactly as it says: sweet, creamy mint and marzipan! Yum!

Later the marzipan fades and I smell like a cheery peppermint candy cane. It has not much staying power on me; I had to reapply after 3 hours or so. But I like the smell so I am glad that I bought some from a nice forumite :D

Starts off as super strong peppermint, and then dries to a creamy slightly minty marzipan, with just a hint of plastic.

BPAL's cream note strikes again for me.

*sigh*

In the decant: Mint, with a weird under-note I can't explain. It's oddly sharp, nothing I'd associate with cream (which usually works for me) or marzipan.

On skin, wet: The sharp note is gone, which is good, but it's pretty much 90% mint and only 10% cream, if that. No trace of marzipan at all.

On skin, dry: No real change. Mint is strongest, the cream is very faint, and no marzipan. Curses!

After an hour: Aside from the weirdness I smelled in the vial, this one is not even slightly a morpher on me. It's nice, don't get me wrong, but I really wanted the marzipan and it is entirely absent from start to finish. :/

Lots of bright green mint at first, the wintergreen type of mint. It's cool and sharp and slaps you right in the face with its perkiness. I love mint in just about anything, combined with just about any note so that was all great with me. I don't get anything else from it for awhile and then it suddenly morphs into a gentler, creamier, muted version of mint with something odd underneath. To my nose it wavers back and forth between some kind of yellow cookie base and butter that's about to turn bad. For whatever reason my chemistry goes crazy when it comes to bpal cake or cookie notes, anything that hints at a butter based or dairy note often turns into a sour, almost rancid smell on my skin. I get images of food about to spoil and I've learned to avoid those fragrances now. So it's surprising for it to pop up in this one, even for a brief amount of time. I'm wondering if maybe it's a cream aspect that's causing the issue here. Granted it's only a small portion of this scent and even then it lurks underneath the mint, but it's enough to make me cringe a little.

Happily the stomach roiling is short lived and this goes right on back to a gentle minty sweetness. I notice a thick, warm, yellow, cozy note in the dry down that has a tinge of musk. Nice.

So… I love the beginning, get a little squeamish sometime during the middle, and go back to a happy place at the end. I think I might try pairing it with another scent and see if that helps temper it somewhat. Maybe it'll be fantastic with a heavy vanilla scent.

In the imp: Mint, minty mint. With a hint of cream.

Wet on skin: Same as above.

Dried down: The creaminess is really coming through now. Still not really balancing the mint as well.

Throw: Creamy sugar swirled with mint.

Verdict: **** I do like thins a lot. I'm debating whether I want a bottle, though. I may be happy with a decant. Or just wait for a secondhand bottle to show up.

Hmmm. I think this confirms that the bpal candy mint note doesn't really work on me. Oh well. The mint is fleeting for me, and this settles into a creamy, sweet generic vanilla candy smell that has a hint of the medicinal about it. Off to swaps!

This is the spawn of Snow White and Lick It. It's all minty mint mint in the vial but on my skin the marzipan joins the fun and adds its almondy goodness. The mint is fairly long-lasting which is unheard of on my skin, it eats mint for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. This blend also brings to mind Go to Sleep, Darlings though without the snowy note and incredible throw. This has much gentler throw. It winds up a lovely soft, creamy marzipan with hints of mint here and there. Possible bottle!

Hello Minty Mint! My you are lovely, all chilly and festive. What's that? You brought your friend along for a playdate? Oh, how fun! I always did love Strawberry Shortcake dollies! That was very kind of you to ask her to wash off her strawberry scent so I could smell you more. The two of you together give me a nice nostalgic feel. If there had been a classy, minty doll, it would be you!

In other words, the almond turns to plastic on me, just like usual. I just had to give it a try though. The mint is very nice, similar to a Lick It scent, but more MINT and less sweetness.

This is creamy candy after-dinner mint, and I do like it, but it's definitely pretty much identical to last year's Lick It Softly on my skin.

Lovely mint, and the mint note actually sticks around a fair bit on me. If you missed Lick It Softly, or find the Lick It series in general a bit too sharp and bracing, this is a great alternative in the same family of scent.

In the imp: Strong peppermint with a slight creaminess.

Wet: Wow. Peppermint. Strong, barely sweet, sinus-clearing peppermint.

It gets creamier as it dries. That creaminess isn’t marzipan or almond to my nose. This is almost a single-note peppermint.

On my second test, just a few days later, this was almost entirely marzipan in the imp and wet.

I like it, but I don’t think I’ll need more than the decant.

In the bottle: Sweet mint with a hint of alcohol, like peppermint schnapps.

Wet on my skin: The cream and marzipan begin to appear and the mint is soft, almost floral.

On the dry down: It is sweet and creamy, almost custardy with just a hint of mint lingering in the background. There is almost something buttery about it.

Sometime later: The mint has become more herbal than the slightly minty custardy, buttery scent it was as it started to dry.

It is an odd blend of herbs and cream. I am not sure I like it. I wish it had stayed more custardy than going to the herbal end of things, but I will revisit.

In the bottle: A blast of mint, and a hint of sugar.

Wet: Still minty-fresh, but the almond note from the marzipan is trying to fight its way through.

The dry-down: Mint-flavored marzipan, if you like that sort of thing.

In the bottle - Sweet warm mint with sticky undertones

Wet on me - A soft squish peppermint cream

Dry on me - Dust, dust and ashes

Overall - All the minty blends in this batch of yules have gone back on my skin and this is no exception