Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

HUNTERS IN THE SNOW
The scent of a calm, grey winter’s day: bare trees and cooking fires, thick blankets of snow, and icy, frozen rivers.

Wet: Smells masculine to me, an assortment of woods (I'm not very good at picking these out). The snow hits when wet, but is minor and overpowered by the woods.
Dry: Didn't try - woods don't work for me, so no dry test was done. This was off to the swabs/sales for me.

Courtesy of the wonderful mellifluous.

Sweet snow topnote is present. There must be a little bit of grey musk in this as the air smells slightly resinous and chilly. Just a hint of a smoke from the fires but no spicey warmth from that directly. The trees may be a hint of birch or a subtle woodsey note. The rest of the scent is very ozonic and marine in that it is a mix of powdery snow notes, ice, and the icy rivers. It's pretty amazing, I have to say. Smells like outside and camping.

I am going to start this review off by saying I adore the bottle art. It is perfect for this idea and I adore it.

In bottle: Generic cologne. My brother used to have a bottle that smelled sort of like this, though I can't remember for the life of me what the perfume was.

Wet: This is a sweet, spicy ozone scent. There is a touch of floral and something that reminds me of maple sap, very sweet and green.

Drydown: There's the smokey wood scent I was looking for! While I didn't mind the sweetness of the wet stage, the pepperiness of the smoke is quite lovely.

Dry: Cheap cologne and sun screen. Hopefully some rest and aging will bring out the wood and smoke some more.

Conclusion: There is real promise in stages of this, though I'm not sure I want to keep my second bottle. I think I'll let them both sit for a while and then retest them before making any final choices. I will keep the bottle I opened most likely, but if it stays this soapy, it won't get much love.

--edit--

At the recommendation of a forumite, I tried my second bottle, and they are completely different perfumes. This bottle is green and sappy and cold ozone that is just beautiful!

Second edit:

It is now almost February, and now this 'good' bottle pretty sharply resembles the bad one I tried first. There is a strong soapy lemon that hits the back of my nose and sticks there, and this is now bright cleaning products. While I don't find the scent bothersome persay, this is a bottle I can happily do without.

Edited by Zii

Sweet, slushy snow and cool aquatics. There's something very Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue. So slightly masculine aquatic cologne tone to it. There's a bright flowery edge to it that perks it up.

Mr. zee_zee is not a fan of one of the notes, other than that I think I'd totally really enjoy trying to find a bottle of this.

I love the juxtaposition of cold snow and smoldering woodsmoke notes here. It's not masculine at all, but rather cool and fresh with a smoky undertone that reminds me of walking outside in the winter and breathing in air that smells of fireplaces and impending snow. Putting my synaesthesia to use here, it also does smell "gray" if that makes any sense at all. There might be some cool musks at play here to contribute to that. This morning it was gray and snowing, so I couldn't have picked a better scent to wear.

Cold, but not slushy/snowy...it's more of a cold ozone scent, wintry air, with a touch of aquatic for the river. It's so smoothly blended, I can't pick out any woodsy or smoky notes. A winter's day in the woods, turned into a cologne. Too masculine and I don't do well with ozone.

Thank you to Mellifluous for the chance to test this! :wub2:

This started out sort of aquatic, then I got something that made me think of bandaids. I don't get anything like cooking fires, but it does smell vaguely outdoorsy and yes, grey.

In the decant: Well, I am not sure exactly what I am smelling. Something in this did remind me of a frozen river at first, and I can detect some woods, but the more I smell this, the more I just don't know what I am smelling! Moss? Woodsmoke? Pickles!? I need to stop sniffing my decant now. :P

Wet: At first, I get something that registers as somewhat soapy to my nose – I am not sure if it is the snow note in this blend or the icy river. I definitely agree with those that have said this is rather masculine. I do get a sense of “grey” when I smell this.

Dry: This turned into a rather soapy aquatic on me.

Verdict: I'm glad that I was able to try it, but this just isn't my kind of scent.

In the decant: It's like camping in the winter-time, and the fire's just gone out.

Wet: The frozen river and a gentle but chilly wind.

The dry-down: The cold woods and the ashy and cold remains of a campfire. It's a gray day, with the promise of more snow on the way, so time to hike out back home.

Mellifluous, thanks for the testable bit. :)

In the bottle - A green cool floral scent

Wet on me - Washing powder

Dry on me - Just washing powder

Overall - Didn't work on my skin

This does, in fact smell like pickles while still in the imp, at least to me. Wet on skin, it is very wet ozone fresh. Maybe a hint of tree and smoke, but just mostly snow-slush-ice. As time passes, it becomes a bit more sharp and bright, like lemon. Still very ozone-water. I wish I got more of the woods and smoke. Seems to have average throw.

Many thanks to the lovely OctoberGwen for passing her tester of this along to me! :hug:

So this is that slushy kind of snow note that translates to ozone soap on my skin... it does smell like a grey winter's day, but unfortunately that's just not a smell that works nicely on my skin - nor does it appeal to me in any way as a perfume. I don't get anything 'trees' related, nor any kind of smoke, so I'm not sure what that aspect of the description is about.

Ultimately this ends up smelling like shampoo on me - ozoney and soapy. With a hint of sharpess... like a cheap after-shave or men's cologne. Not for me at all.

I seemed to amp the acrid leather note immediately. However, after 10-15 minutes, the cool, fresh scent comes out, and combining the two, after 30 minutes, I get the image of a cold, grey day outdoors. It's a perfect image of the scent's name.