Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
moosey

The recurring Yules

I'm not new to BPAL. I've been around on and off for a few years now, but I always seem to miss the Yule update. I tend to get distracted by life once Halloween is over. This being my first year where I am actively stalking for Yules, I was wondering if any scents tend to turn up most years (like Samhain and boo turn up for weenies)? Are there any cult classics that I should be looking out for? And which would you recommend for someone who isn't a foodie fan (but will wear it anyway) and prefers woods, spices, 'green' smells, roses, lavender and other things one might find outside?

"Lick it" usually is around in some form, and I see Midnight Mass, Peacock Queen, Rose Red and Snow White fairly often. There's also usually a snowball scent! I know there are others, too, but those are off the top of my head.

Edited by The Poison Queen

Oh wow, just saw the reviews to snow white and rose red, how did I ever miss those?! They look beautiful!

They're both lovely, though Peacock Queen is like, my favorite rose scent ever and something that I really look forward to every year!

I know you mentioned you weren't fond of foody scents, but I have found Gelt (a fairly often reoccurring one) to be mostly amber heavy, with a touch of dry chocolate. My Gelt 2010 has aged really nicely over the years and is mostly amber.

I've seen Yule pop up a couple times -- its notes aren't to my liking, but they do include holly berry, mistletoe and evergreen.

Also, Channukiyah has showed up a few times too and overall, it has been pretty nice as well -- lots of olive and beeswax on me, but others say it goes foody on them.

I also want to chime in that Peacock Queen has really been a fantastic rose year after year -- if it shows up again this year, I definitely recommend that you try to get it!

Midwinter's Eve, Yuletide and Yule have shown up several times.

Jacob's Ladder and Midnight Mass are frequently recurring resin/incense Yules.

Egg Nog and Sugar Cookie are recurrent foodie Yules.

Yep....what everyone said above!! If I am correct, Yules usually come live in November. Also, you can sign up at the BPAL website for the newsletter, that way you will get a mail when LE's are released, just so you don't forget and miss out on some lovelies!!! :wub2:

Jolasveinar has been around a few times.....

"Their scent is a mishmash of snow, dirt, Icelandic moss, marsh felwort, and the smushed petals of buttercups and moorland spotted orchids, with the barest hint of the scent of pilfered Christmas pastries"

it's a great snowy, woodsy scent.....there's a hint of pastries but just a hint in my opinion, not enough to make this a cakey scent. It's one of my favorite Yule scents.

Ditto on Gelt ... I thought for some reason it had been every other year since its initial release but it seems to have been each of the last two years so I have my fingers crossed for a Gelt 2013 after finally trying an imp of it in a swap! Delicious!!!

I don't really understand why I haven't gotten into Yules before. It does sound like it's more my thing than weenies. Thanks you guys! Peacock queen sounds like a definite purchase if it pops up again. And channukiyah - olive and Beeswax? Yes! Uh-oh now I'm all excited again. And I only just came down from my weenie high!

I don't really understand why I haven't gotten into Yules before. It does sound like it's more my thing than weenies. Thanks you guys! Peacock queen sounds like a definite purchase if it pops up again. And channukiyah - olive and Beeswax? Yes! Uh-oh now I'm all excited again. And I only just came down from my weenie high!

I must say, my poor battered bottle of Peacock Queen from 2005 is still with me, after many many moves. Get it, you won't regret it! To this day, it's still my favorite rose :)

Ditto on Gelt ... I thought for some reason it had been every other year since its initial release but it seems to have been each of the last two years so I have my fingers crossed for a Gelt 2013 after finally trying an imp of it in a swap! Delicious!!!

Gelt, Gelt, Gelt, must have more Gelt

Hey all-

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I was wondering if anyone could give me a concise side-by-side comparison of all (or even most) of the Lick It scents? I bought Lick It Now this year, it's the first one I've tried and I really like it. I've tried reading through the review threads for the various versions, but it's hard to tell what the differences really are. Are some more vanilla-y than others? Sharper peppermint? More foody? I would love to know, so if anyone has several different versions and is willing to explain your take on their differences, I'd appreciate it!

Hey all-

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I was wondering if anyone could give me a concise side-by-side comparison of all (or even most) of the Lick It scents? I bought Lick It Now this year, it's the first one I've tried and I really like it. I've tried reading through the review threads for the various versions, but it's hard to tell what the differences really are. Are some more vanilla-y than others? Sharper peppermint? More foody? I would love to know, so if anyone has several different versions and is willing to explain your take on their differences, I'd appreciate it!

I've got three decants from Lick Its of previous year (and another on the way from this year) so I'll try to compare these ones:

Lick It Vigorously (2010)- "This is a candy cane perfume, minty, sweet and sugared."

Starts off very strong bubblegum mint, stays strongly minty and a bit sharp like hard mint candies.

Lick It Discreetly (2011)- "A sticky, chilly peppermint candy cane with sweet vanilla and an extra jolt of sugar."

Softer more vanillic mint, after drying a bit it kinda disappeared on my skin but I get a kind of minty feel without smelling it if that makes sense.

Lick It Softly (2012)- "A sticky, sweet peppermint candy cane with a copious dusting of vanilla."

More vanilla with a hint of mint, this is more like candy cane marshmallows then hard mint candies and I think this is the one I like the most so far.

Hey all-

I have tried every single Lick It EXCEPT this year's (my decants haven't arrived yet). But I don't have all of them available for skin test. So I'll do my best to remember each one:

Lick It 2005: What else could possibly be more lickable at Yuletide? This is a candy cane perfume, minty, sweet and sugared.

This one is a pretty even blend of peppermint, vanilla, and sugar.

Lick It Again 2006: Every holiday season should be full of lewd suggestions and filthy double entendres, right? This is a new take on last year's Lick It -- a peppermint candy cane with an extra jolt of sugar.

From what I recall, this had a lot of sugar, quite a bit of vanilla, and not too much peppermint.

Lick It One More Time 2007: Every holiday season should be full of lewd suggestions and filthy double entendres, right? This is a new take on Lick It and Lick It Again -- a peppermint candy cane with a flash of vanilla and an extra jolt of sugar.

I remember this one had a LOT of vanilla, quite a bit of sugar, and just a little peppermint.

Lick It Like You Mean It 2008: Every holiday season should be full of lewd suggestions and filthy double entendres, right? Lick it in earnest! Lick it with vigor! Peppermint candy cane with an extra jolt of sugar.

This is one of my two favourite versions of the whole series. It's very similar to the original Lick It, but has a light skin musk in addition to the sweet notes.

Lick It Till It's Sticky 2009: The stickiest thing you shouldn't lick this winter. Peppermint candy cane with an extra jolt of sugar.

This is the only one in the series I did not like. It had the traditional notes, plus some kind of weird menthol top note.

LICK IT VIGOROUSLY 2010: What else could possibly be more lickable at Yuletide? This is a candy cane perfume, minty, sweet and sugared.

This one reminded me of the original Lick It, but with an extra note of peppermint.

LICK IT DISCREETLY 2011: This year’s minty double ententre! A sticky, chilly peppermint candy cane with sweet vanilla and an extra jolt of sugar.

This version was the most sugary and sweetest of the group.

LICK IT SOFTLY 2012: This year's minty double ententre! A sticky, sweet peppermint candy cane with a copious dusting of vanilla.

This is my other favourite version. The sugar and peppermint are on the light side, the vanilla is really dominant in this version, much more so than the 2007 version. It also has a bit more wear-length than any of the previous versions.

Thanks so much Shirel & IceMaiden!! I know they're all pretty similar... just trying to figure out if I want to stock up on backups of Lick It Now 2013 or search out some of the earlier versions.

As of Yule 2014, these are the scents that have returned at least twice.

(Note that there are two listings for Hearth tn the Reviews; these are known to be different scents.)

The Peacock Queen

the Lick It series

Midnight Mass

Gelt

the Mother Shub series

Faunalia

Chanukkiyah

Egg Nog

Skadi

Snow White

the Snowballs series

The Fruit of Paradise

El Dia de los Reyes

Butter Rum Cookie (strangely there are 2 listings!)

Haloa (listed twice)

Midwinter's Eve

La Befana

Winter-Time

Snow-Flakes

Rose Red

Knecht Ruprecht

Krampus (again, 2 listings)

Gingerbread Poppet

Mason & Jenkins' Port Jelly

Sugar Cookie

Le Pere Fouettard