Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Invidiana

A World Where There Are Octobers

An armload of maple boughs and a swirl of autumn leaves.

This is syrup-esque when wet, but only slightly sweet on dry down. There's something masculine about it, and I think that's wood with a hint of green and high, dry leaf. Very evocative!

Just got my bottle of this and I LOVE IT. I'll have to come back and add more coherent thoughts later. Definitely a MAPLE scent but not at all maple syrup or maple sugar - it's sweet but lightly so, doesn't have the carmelized/cooked notes of maple syrup. There is definitely something else in here - a light wood or flower note - that's adding to the impression of maple without actually being maple. I love woods to begin with, but this is so much lighter than most woods, and really does manage to give the impression of leafiness.

Initially, this is very reminiscent of October. In fact, it is almost identical on my skin. But after a while, the green leafinessand the maple sweeten this and mellow out the initial sharpness. This is very nice, but my decant will suffice.

Like Sonnet D'Automne but with a hint of maple sweetness rather than white chocolate. The sweetness is enough to temper the bitterness of the leaf note-- October is gorgeous and evocative but very bitter on my skin so rather unwearable.. I'll have to test this against Sonnet, which I already have a bottle of, to decide which I like better. If you are a sucker for leaf blends, you will love this one. It wears close and fades rather fast.

In bottle: Damp autumn leaves crushed under foot, with fresh snapped twigs. Wet: more delicate and less nuanced on the skin, but still essentially as advertised. Dry: The leaves get less sharp but stay lovely as they fade and blur.

Crunchy autumn leaves with a faint hint of maple syrup like sweetness wafting in the background. I love the leafy-ness this is October the month in a bottle for me.I don't have October the oil to compare it to, I've all ways wanted October. From what I have read this is a close contender for some. The glossy finish label

is gorgeous, a photo of autumn leaves. Lasts a couple hours on my oil munching skin.

I would recommend if you like crunchy leaves with a hint of maple syrup, the leaves

dominate the blend

Okay, I have to give the lab mad props for Anne of Green Gables inspiration and quotes. This blend is very along the lines of Autumn Leaves, in that you have dry leaves, autumn wind, and a hint of maple syrup.

It's very seasonal, clean, and one of those blends that to me is more about the scent experience like No 93 Engine and Wolfsbane. Not something that I would wear, but something that 'nails' the scent experience to a tee.

This is a celebration of Autumn, with the dry leaves and the chilly wind. Bravo lab!

In the decant: A flurry of leaves that are turning yellow and a hint of sweetness in the background. This is an early autumn scent as opposed to a late autumn one. The leaves are the predominant note, but I get more of the maple with every sniff.

Wet: The leaves are definitely there, but they are not nearly as strong as they were in the bottle. There is a hint of maple that seems to be emerging more the longer this is on my skin. I was afraid that I wouldn't like the leaf note on my skin or that the blend might go cologne-y, but that hasn't been the case so far.

It is starting to veer into soapy territory now, but it isn't quite there yet. Hopefully it won't turn into suds of doom!

Dry: Woo! It managed to refrain from turning into soap. It smells like early autumn when the leaves are starting to turn and have started to declare independence from their trees.

Verdict: I am pleasantly surprised. I didn't think this would work on me, but it is very true to its description, and very evocative of autumn. I won't be getting a bottle of this as I don't think I would wear this very often, but I will definitely be keeping my decant.

This is one of the best things I've ever smelled! Seriously. I opened right when it arrived, and the smell in the bottle was a little strange: sharp green notes with maple sugar underneath. When I first put it on, it smelled like spicy maple sugar with an undertone of that green smell (the autumn leaves I think).

Over the day, the scent dried down into this wonderful, spicy woods smell. I was a bit sorry that the leaves disappeared, but what remained just made me think of hiking on warm October days. Wonderful!

Wet: This starts off with the crisp scent of leaves. I find that the bpal leaves note is crisp, dry, papery, with a hint of pepper running through it. Sometimes the leaves note can be a bit sharp, but in this blend it isn't sharp only pleasantly crisp. Kind of like the crispness some of the snow scents have but without the snow.

Dry: As this dries the sharpness, crispness, and pepperiness of the leaves fade into something more mellow but still very autumnal. It is hard to describe because to me this doesn't really smell like leaves, more like an autumn day with leaves blowing about in the wind. I've tried October and La Calavera Catrina, and both I find to be very peppery and sharp and almost cologne-esque leaf scents, but this one is much more mellow, and when the scent is almost dry I begin getting hints of soft woods and a hint of sweet maple. It becomes almost smoky and that paper quality returns. Throughout everything though there is a current of crisp autumn air, kind if like a sweet ozone if that makes any sense.

Overall: This scent is so atmospheric! It reminds me slightly of scents like Snow-Flakes because it has this cool crisp autumn/winter air quality about everything. The leaves note is mellow but has a dose of pepper and paper added to the mix while the maple give everything a sweet tinge along with something pretty and woodsy. It is so unique! I love it! I really think this will end up being a bottle purchase for me because I absolutely adore these kinds of scents

Edited by ciaobonefish

I'm so glad I got a bottle of this untested. :wub2:

Such wonderful, leafy goodness. The leaves in this are so nice. In October they're very sharp, but here they're much softer. There's also a crust of maple sugar which mellows into smears of maple syrup the longer this is on. There are also snapped twigs and light touches of smoke throughout.

Really, this is perfect for me. It's everything I wanted October to be and more. :wub3:

In the bottle: Crisp leaf note, from the late summer.

Wet: The crisp leaves, but now with a sweet sap rising through them.

The dry-down: This starts in August and ends in October. The maple sweetness now lurks in the background, and the crisp leaves are now heading towards sere and dry. Quite a morpher, but I like it very much. :)

Edited by thekittenkat

This is a combination of dry leaves and maple syrup on me - it's absolutely lovely, and very evocative of fall!

(ETA, if this is ever offered as a Bath Oil, I will be hoarding :D)

I completely agree with all of these words. WORD. And...yum.

Lots of leaves and maple syrup, sweeter than I thought in spite of maple boughs being used in the description. This smells a lot like Halloween Montreal to me. This is nice to try, but the best lab leaf blend by far is Autumn Lace, and I'll just stick to that when I need my leaf fix.

When the weenies were first released I was crazy about this description. I would LOVE to smell sweet maple and crumbling leaves ANY TIME I WANTED.

So, I waited for reviews to see if this would pay out. And, it looked like it would. There was a ton of “LEAVES YAY YUMMY” etc~

Obviously, I ordered it! I couldn’t wait! I tried it the first day, I tried it a week later, I tried it a month later, I tried it last week… Am I broken? Does everyone else really smell Abercrombie & Fitch Woods cologne when they walk through autumn leaves?

It is lovely if that’s what you want. AWWTAO is a perfumers interpretation of WOODS with a nice green/subtle sweetness. However, it smells absolutely nothing like crumbling brown leaves to me. There’s not a real leaf to be found in there. I’m also assuming (from the reviews) that this cologne WOODS is the standard lab leaf note? If so, I am sad-panda~

I’m keeping it as it’s lovely on my husband, but it was a personal disappointment. I still want something that smells how I thought this would smell…that black tea-dust earthy smell of slowly decomposing autumn leaves is heartbreakingly lovely – but definitely nowhere in here.

The comparisons to October are dead on. In the bottle it's almost identical, that gorgeous crunchy leaf note that Beth does so well.

Once applied to my skin, it's a lot sweeter and reminds me of a softer, more feminine version of October. This is warm and golden smelling and reminds me of autumn during an Indian summer. Wonderful throw as well. A keeper! :wub2:

Imp: cool, sweet, decaying autumn leaves

Wet: slightly spiced winds, a sharp green sap, maple (not foodie though, very plant-like)

Dry: sweet, warmer than the wet stages, sunshine over freshly strewn maple leaves

I thought this would resemble October from the description, and I agree with the initial reviews, it is just like a younger version of that scent. Warmer and sweeter, definitely early autumn before the bitter chill sets in. I actually prefer October on me, so I don't mind only having a decant of this, but if it comes back in the future, I'll probably consider a bottle (and if not, definitely another decant or two). Throw is pretty light, it wears very close to the skin, but the life is around my usual average, if not a bit better - maybe 6-7 hrs.

Stars: ★★★★

warm rich woods wrapped in a maple sweetness. this is a beautiful scent. on me it has a good throw and lasts all day. I find it cozy and comforting, the autumnal sugared woods cousin to picture books in winter's sweet leather-bound books.

a more feminine version of october- sweeter, softer, and without the "manly cologne" aspect that october tends to have. the maple is just a bit sweet- sweet and woodsy, with maybe just a *touch* of what you would expect maple to smell like... this is not to say that it smells like maple syrup, but there is definitely a maple feel. then there is lots of that nice autumn leaves note. this is a very pretty perfume for fall and works much better on me than regular old october!

In the imp: Ugh! Sharp and bitter!

Wet on skin: Still sharp, bitter, and a bit herbal now. I went VERY light on this, and I think I'm going to want it OFF if it doesn't calm down.

Dried down: Ok, it's calmed down a little bit. Other than that, it still smells the same.

Throw: This has some throw, but thankfully, it's fading on me, althoguh a little slowly for my tastes. I may need to help it along with some scrubbing.

Verdict: * Well, haven't had one of those in awhile. I'm pretty glad I didn't jump for a bottle of this in October. I had wondered, and now I know.

In the imp - Oddly sweet.

Wet - Like a sweeter version of October, without the notes that upset my skin chemistry. Mellow and leafy.

Drydown - Oh, this is very nice. Everything I wanted in October that was suffocated under the smoke and wind and mud. There are leaves here too, but where October’s leaves were in a big soggy mulch pile on the wet pavement, this blend conjures memories of the newly changed leaves falling to the front lawn and swirling in a cold breeze. The beginning of autumn. After a while, the leaves get blown away, and I’m left with the maple boughs.

Verdict - It’s woody and a little green. If it was a drink, it’d be the virgin version of October. And surprisingly, I’m OK with that. I’ll have to test again to see if it stays or goes, but it’s nice to know my body chemistry won’t kill every green and/or woody scent I try.

Oh noooo, I'm sad. I think I may be broken, because this one just didn't work for me. In the imp it had that same sappy leaf smell as Magnificent Autumn, which is a bit strong for me, but on MA it dies down to something smokey and soft. So I had high hopes for this.

Alas, it just turns into department store perfume. More specifically, it smells exactly like walking through the perfume section of Dillards at Christmastime. Sharp and not...not bad, not really. But mature and not in a fun way? It's the perfume ladies at church wear.

After about an hour I had to rinse it a bit, because it was strong. Still there when I put my wrist to my nose, and it still smells like a perfume counter. Ah well.

Even if this wasn't too my liking, I would have liked it in some way. This is one of my favorite quotes from my favorites books, and thank Anne, that it smells just divine, like goddess of autumn divine, on me. In the bottle and wet, it's fall leaves and maple, but as it dries down it gets spicier and smokier - and a little caramel - like getting overly excited when the first autumn winds blow in and you go out and get a caramel latte even though it's not quite cold enough yet. I love this so, so, so much.

I don't care for this, but I've found that the leaf scents don't tend to age well. It's damp, sharp, sour green leaves with a soapy aquatic cologne feel, and a drydown of really powdery woods.

Yep, sirupy sweet dead leaves! Green sap? Dew? ...In the background? An autumn afternoon in the gleaming sunlight, after a shower of rain. Nice, and I don't think it's for me, but I see why people go mad over this. n_n