• a swinger of birches
  • Group: Members
  • Mood:contemplative
  • SotD:Carnaval Diabolique
  • Nothing Selected
  • Nothing Selected
  • United States

Posted 08 August 2013 - 02:38 AM

I'm looking for a warm sort of mint, not peppermint, and not mint with cold or crystalline notes. The only one I can think of is The Mock Turtle's Lessons, but it wasn't good on my skin. I really like CBIHP's fresh mint tea accord (although it lasts about 5 minutes on me), so I was looking for something with a similar mint note from BPAL. I'm thinking more like a fresh mint leaf, so more herbal than aquatic I guess. I do like Gennivre, but was hoping for another that's a little more minty.

I've tried a good amount of the catalog (GC and LE) from 2009 and earlier, but I haven't really tried much of anything since then, so hopefully there will be a wonderful mint that's been out in the years since I've been gone. I remember Snowblind being a nice mint, but unfortunately the vanilla note went plastic on my skin, otherwise it would probably be my perfect scent.

I'd appreciate any ideas!

This post has been edited by Arylkin: 08 August 2013 - 02:46 AM

• to the top!

#2 User is offline   skyelyric 

• must be 5mL to ride
  • Mood:cheeky
  • SotD:La Calavera Catrina
  • Ram
  • Scorpio
  • United States

Posted 08 August 2013 - 03:43 AM

Stentor from the current LEs might be worth a try? I'm no help on skin-reviews since sadly mint and I don't work out so well together, but it's a very bright, herby mint in the decant I got.
  • to the top!

#3 User is offline   Fuhrankie 

• obsessive precious hoarder
  • Tiger
  • Aquarius
  • Australia

Posted 08 August 2013 - 04:29 AM

A Sudden Invitation is a lovely warm and woody mint for me. :)
  • to the top!

#4 User is online   Bluestblood 

• a little too imp-ulsive
  • Mood:A little scared
  • Monkey
  • Pisces
  • United States

Posted 08 August 2013 - 06:27 AM

Have you tried anything with pennyroyal in it? You may like Mad Hatter (the only reason I didn't was because it had a creamy finish that reminded me of vanilla...and I hate vanilla). It smelled kind of like a butter mint to me. Stentor is nice too. It has what I can only describe as an herbal brightness that makes me happy. I will be following this thread because, I too, am a huge fan of mint. ;)
  • to the top!

#5 User is offline   Fuhrankie 

• Tiger
  • Aquarius
  • Australia

Posted 08 August 2013 - 07:03 AM

For an exceedingly cool mint, you could try Breathless Horror; it's quite herbal, but I'm having difficulties finding warm AND herbal mints. I WILL KEEP LOOKING! (Breathless horror: icy white musk and thick olibanum with niaouli, carrot seed, white mint, and camphor.)

Humpback Whale is an aquatically herbal mint, very lovely. Rather unisex. (Blue peppermint, sea buckthorn berry, white myrrh, ambergris accord, and tobacco leaf.)

Lips Full of Lust and Laughter also has mint in it, though on my skin it's basically fruity shampoo, so ymmv. (Red musk, wildflower honey, elemi, tangerine, and mint.)

Manhattan could be a go, too. That one has the notes you seem to be after, though I haven't tested it. (Sexuality, power, confidence. A meeting of modern, sleek elegance and rich, passionate history: sheer amber, black leather, white mint, lemon peel, white tea, grapefruit, kush, teakwood and orchid.)

Ditto for Tristan from the Stardust series, though it has tonka and you might not like that. (Dust on your trousers, mud on your boots, and stars in your eyes: redwood, tonka bean, white sandalwood, lemon peel, patchouli, rosewood, coriander, and crushed mint.)
  • to the top!

#6 User is offline   Numanoid 

• Mood:SPRING in my step
  • SotD:Snake Oil!
  • Dog
  • Capricorn
  • United States

Posted 08 August 2013 - 11:35 AM

Maybe try any of the "Lick It" blends from past Yule LE's? They start out WAY minty, but fade real fast to a soft, warm mint on me. Also, Snow White had a soft mint on me as well... LOVE Snow White! Good luck!! :)
  • to the top!

#7 User is offline   joyfulgirl 

• diabolical decanter
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Mood:okay
  • SotD:mourning lace
  • Rooster
  • Leo
  • United States

Posted 08 August 2013 - 01:11 PM

i agree with fuhrankie on humpback whale and a sudden invitation. both are lovely and warmed by various things (ambergris in HW and sandalwood in ASI).

i would also recommend green tree viper. it's a snake-oil-y mint, which is absolutely delicious.

as far as pure mint scents, i can't speak to any of the lick it scents from experience, but i know they're wildly popular...you might give one a shot! :)
  • to the top!

#8 User is offline   skyelyric 

• must be 5mL to ride
  • Mood:cheeky
  • SotD:La Calavera Catrina
  • Ram
  • Scorpio
  • United States

Posted 08 August 2013 - 01:33 PM

Oh, I'd forgotten Green Tree Viper--that is a nice one.
  • to the top!

#9 User is offline   Arylkin 

• a swinger of birches
  • Mood:contemplative
  • SotD:Carnaval Diabolique
  • Nothing Selected
  • Nothing Selected
  • United States

Posted 08 August 2013 - 01:46 PM

Thanks so much for the recommendations! I added a few to my wishlist. I really appreciate it! :)
  • to the top!

#10 User is offline   fluorescein 

• evil enabler
  • SotD:Green Tree Viper
  • Tiger
  • Sagittarius
  • United States

Posted 08 August 2013 - 01:55 PM

This is the list I keep regarding mint: http://www.bpal.org/...ds/page__st__75
  • to the top!

#11 User is offline   Circaea 

• diabolical decanter
  • Nothing Selected
  • Aries
  • United States

Posted 08 August 2013 - 05:18 PM

I like When the Winter Chrysanthemums Go. The floral part of it reads warm to me. I wear it to bed sometimes. And Lick It Like You Mean It is a lovely vanilla mint. Gennivre is a tea mint. Not sure if I would qualify it as warm, though. Sort of neutral.
  • to the top!

#12 User is offline   Cactus 

• SotD:Yemaya
  • Nothing Selected
  • Cancer
  • Nothing Selected

Posted 09 August 2013 - 06:01 AM

If you are looking for GCs to try - Cathode is a mint scent with ambergris and moss, which mellow and warm the mint up.
  • to the top!

#13 User is offline   IambicDearie 

• Mood:Depressed
  • SotD:Martian Phoenix
  • Rooster
  • Cancer
  • United States

Posted 10 August 2013 - 05:38 AM

I agree regarding Humpback Whale, definitely. It's a warmer scent that remains ocean-y without becoming abrasive.
  • to the top!

#14 User is offline   Vega 

• Nothing Selected
  • Nothing Selected
  • Australia

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:46 AM

You might like BPAL blends containing "chocolate peppermint" -- the chocolate/cocoa notes warm and contrast with cooler mint. (I went through a phase where I was crazy for choc/mint blends.) Monster Bait: Tokyo Stomp is the perfect specimen, where chocolate and mint contrast beautifully with each other. Dark Chocolate, Lime and Chocolate Mint (Lupercalia) is similar and also lovely. If you want something more complex, try WILF, which does have a mint touch, though it blends with all the other notes.

And I recommend Green Tree Viper too!
  • to the top!

#15 User is offline   Floria 

• sexy swapper
  • Ox
  • Leo
  • United States

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:56 PM

How Doth The Little Crocodile reads as woody chocolate peppermint to my nose. I'm not sure if I'd call it a "warm" scent, but it's certainly not a chilly/menthol mint.
  • to the top!

#16 User is offline   rinster 

• Mood:frabjous
  • SotD:Snooty Rose
  • Nothing Selected
  • Sagittarius
  • United States

Posted 10 December 2013 - 02:00 AM

I crave mint in summer, and Humpback Whale is one of my faves. It's cool and breezy without being chilly or overly aquatic. Next runner up is Knockout Drops: cool lemon meringue absinthe with rich white chocolate.

Honorable mentions go to Bess (herbally mint), Incubus (masculine caramelly mint), and Utrennyaya (dc'd, frosty violets).
  • to the top!

#17 User is offline   vanilla323  

• 1/32 too few
  • Mood:Let Them Eat Cake!
  • SotD:Dragon's Milk
  • Ox
  • Cancer
  • United States

Posted 16 January 2014 - 06:52 AM

Need some help on yummy mint scents...I oddly really want a mint scent right now. But something minty sweet, vanilla like, and long lasting. I can't decide between Lick It Now 2013 or Mother Shub’s Unmentionable Peppermint Creams?? I read the reviews and I'm still not sure. :eek:

I love the buttery cream mint of MSUPC but I hear Lick It Now has better staying power...please help me!!! And a random note...I LOVE Braving The Ice. ;)
  • to the top!

#18 User is offline   MiasmaResonance 

• SotD:Hellcat
  • Dog
  • Sagittarius
  • United States

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:57 PM

View PostIchigo, on 16 January 2014 - 06:52 AM, said:

Need some help on yummy mint scents...I oddly really want a mint scent right now. But something minty sweet, vanilla like, and long lasting. I can't decide between Lick It Now 2013 or Mother Shub's Unmentionable Peppermint Creams?? I read the reviews and I'm still not sure. :eek:

I love the buttery cream mint of MSUPC but I hear Lick It Now has better staying power...please help me!!! And a random note...I LOVE Braving The Ice. ;)

I didn't try the Lick It scent (never have) but Mother Shub's Peppermint has crazy strong throw on me. ._. Plus I love the sugary/creamy hint of marzipan it has. :yum:
  • to the top!

#19 User is offline   tinyvulture 

• View gallery
  • Mood:blissed-out
  • SotD:Sprinklecake
  • Dragon
  • Sagittarius
  • United States

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:43 PM

Juke Joint is nice, if you don’t mind the booziness.
  • to the top!

#20 User is offline   TheIceMaiden 

• Mood:Fire & Blood
  • SotD:Alice
  • Dragon
  • Aquarius
  • United States

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:31 AM

Need some help on yummy mint scents...I oddly really want a mint scent right now. But something minty sweet, vanilla like, and long lasting. I can't decide between Lick It Now 2013 or Mother Shub’s Unmentionable Peppermint Creams?? I read the reviews and I'm still not sure. :eek:

I wore both of those scents today. The mint faded out fast on both. Lick It Now lasted, in total, about an hour on my wrist. Peppermint Creams lasted about six hours.
  • to the top!

#21 User is offline   annemathematics 

• evil enabler
  • SotD:picture books in winter
  • Rat
  • Cancer
  • United States

Posted 17 January 2014 - 03:17 AM

View PostTheIceMaiden, on 17 January 2014 - 12:31 AM, said:

I wore both of those scents today. The mint faded out fast on both. Lick It Now lasted, in total, about an hour on my wrist. Peppermint Creams lasted about six hours.

I've also been craving a mint scent!
theicemaiden, I know LIN is more mint with sugar/ vanilla, and MSUPC has almond, but could you describe the difference between the mint aspects of the scents? are they both peppermint or does one venture into wintergreen/ spearmint/ etc territory? is one sharper/ milder/ brighter than the other?

thank you!
  • to the top!

#22 User is offline   vanilla323  

• 1/32 too few
  • Mood:Let Them Eat Cake!
  • SotD:Dragon's Milk
  • Ox
  • Cancer
  • United States

Posted 17 January 2014 - 04:51 AM

View PostTheIceMaiden, on 17 January 2014 - 12:31 AM, said:

Six hours is pretty good not many scents last that long on me anyway! And I echo annemathematics's question about the different mints...please describe! ;)
  • to the top!

#23 User is offline   TheIceMaiden 

• Mood:Fire & Blood
  • SotD:Alice
  • Dragon
  • Aquarius
  • United States

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:24 PM

Both have a very similar bright, chilly, and sweet peppermint note. Lick It Now is very sugary with a hint of vanilla. Peppermint Creams has a base of vanilla cream with a hint of marzipan.
  • to the top!

#24 User is offline   Erinofhere 

• SotD:First of 3 spirits
  • Dragon
  • Capricorn
  • United States

Posted 17 January 2014 - 04:31 PM

If you can deal with the other notes...Bess to my nose was very minty and in a pretty girlie way.

rosemary, orange flower, grape spirit, five rose variants, lemon peel, and mint.

• to the top!

#25 User is offline   annemathematics 

• evil enabler
  • SotD:picture books in winter
  • Rat
  • Cancer
  • United States

Posted 19 January 2014 - 12:07 AM

thank you so much TheIceMaiden for answering my question.

Ichigo, I received on thursday a decant of LIN. I put a small drop on one wrist friday morning when I woke up. it sadly disappeared within the hour. I hopped on my bike and rode to work and that little bit of physical activity revived it enough that it was back up in full glory and it was still going 6 hours later when I put something else on over it. it was a perfect pure peppermint/sugar/vanilla that I didn't know I needed in my life until then/now. I'm in love again. it mostly hung out in my aura. didn't travel across the room.

I would love to compare it to MSUPC. I've had mixed luck with cream/food notes on me, so might just get a bottle of this.

EXERCISE. I'm going to try this with all of the oils that quickly fade on me.

edited to say that this morning I tested a gingerbread scent that was fine on my wrist but made the skin in my elbow ditch red and tingly. I applied a drop of LIN and it cooled the skin instantly. three hours later and I can still smell the mint/vanilla/sugar. seems to have overpowered the gingerbread's notes rather than combined with them.

This post has been edited by annemathematics: 19 January 2014 - 01:23 AM

• to the top!

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users