Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ranna

My Happy Day

MY HAPPY DAY
Washable acrylic on economy craft paper, 2011
This is my happy day. My happy day is always purple.
Plum sugar, blackcurrant bud absolute, pink jasmine, effervescent elemi, purple carnation, honeysuckle nectar, and champagne grape.

My Happy Day

In the bottle: Sweet and fizzy, if that makes sense. I'm not familiar with elemi, but I'm not picking up any of the other notes listed except for some jasmine. Right now, I'm a bit worried this will be stronger than what I'd usually wear.

On wet: "Effervescent" is definitely a key word. It's got that same sort of fizziness I got from Fizzy Jack O' Lantern, though I wouldn't say it smells like it. It's sweeter on skin than it was in the bottle, and I can smell the jasmine better now as well as some fruitiness. It reminds me of some sparkly alcoholic drink.

Dry: Still fizzy, still sweet. It's gotten softer. The vaguely boozy fizz prevents it from being a truly light scent, but this is actually very pretty. I would say jasmine as the most evident, followed by either the blackcurrant or plum...my nose is not yet refined enough to really pick out notes, I'm afraid. If I sniff long enough I'm pretty sure I can pick out the carnation.

Not something I might have taken home if I'd just tried it in passing, but I'm planning on hanging on to my bottle so far.

I love things that are purple, so this was definitely a must-buy for me. Most of these notes are things I know I like, but I was still really surprised at My Happy Day - it wasn't quite what I expected, but overall I'm really enjoying it.

When first applied, it's effervescent grape with some florals hiding in the background. Mostly this reminds me of grape pop, which is not a bad thing! The fizziness calms down after the first 20 minutes or so, and then it's a sugary, purple floral scent. I'm really not picking out individual notes - it's very well-blended and really gives that overall 'purple' impression. I can't detect the plum, blackcurrant or carnation - those are some of my top favorite notes, though, so that's probably why I'm still liking this so much, even without being able to tell the parts from the whole.

After a few hours, it's morphed a lot. Even though there's not a vanilla component, I'm getting a deep, resiny vanilla. It's still very sweet and the grape note has transitioned into wine. It's like a 'lite' version of Horreur Sympathique. There's also something about this that really takes me back to being a kid in the 80s - scented stickers, erasers and toys - really happy nostalgia. This is pretty cool.

Wheeeeeeee WTF is this?? I love this! I first thought it was like a Tiki Bar fizzy thing, but then it turned into sweet flowery stuff! Filled with awesome and win, and I love the artwork. I love the smell of this, I could not stop smelling my arm today, people must have thought I was nuts.

This is absolutely uplifting, a very happy scent.

Note from day two : got this on a sweatshirt at the wrist cuffs, and the next day it still smells effervescent. And really good.

It reminds me a little of Agape, not the exact scent but the feeling.

Edited by stellamaris

My first thoughts before I tried the scent are that I wasn't sure about it because it has a few iffy notes for me, the honeysuckle and jasmine. My first impression is that this is a very fizzy, effervescent scent, it is initially dominated by the grape and blackcurrant so it smells like a fruity fizzy drink. But soon the jasmine and honeysuckle take over this scent for me, and they don't work with my skin chemistry. Honeysuckle and Jasmine can turn really sharp and high pitched on me, and this is what happened here sadly I don't know what elemi smells like but I have a suspicion that it might have contributed to this turning sour and sharp on me.The fruitiness is still there but the florals take over this scent for me. It starts out so well, but with my skin chemistry there are some florals which don't work on my skin. I'm happy that I got to try it though.

Edited by becca_s

Fizzy at first but that burns off quickly. This is weird, though: At a distance this smells glorious, but up close it is waaaay too perfumey. Really, if I sniff my wrist at 12 inches it smells like fresh-cut honeysuckle with a hint of plum and something sweet. At 2 inches, it is harsh, loud old lady perfume. Hmmmm...

At first, this seemed like a Honeysuckle SN, which was awesome! But after a few minutes, it was morphed into a lovely grand old dame perfume. This is not a bad thing. I love those classic scents, and I wear several. But I don't need another one. Bummer. I'd LOVE a Honeysuckle SN. ;)

This is pretty, I'm just not sure it's "me".

Wet on skin: Suped up florals! I must be laying in a field of flowers right about now.

During dry down: The fruit notes come out to play but the florals are still there in the background. This is now sweeter than I expected.

Dry on skin: Powdery sugared fruit. I'm not so sure how I feel about that. It's not bad, but it doesn't make me squeal with delight either.

I love black currant, sugarplum, carnation and honeysuckle, so I had high hopes for this one. Unfortunately, I don't really get any of the sweet, fruity notes from this. I think it's mostly jasmine/a mish-mash of perfumey, sharp floral notes. The florals have that sharp, almost musky, hairspray smelling quality that is in a lot of classic floral perfumes. It gives me a headache after a while. This is one of the few scents in this series that is really strong and long lasting on me, and I wish that it weren't...

This goes on super fizzy, but as it dries the fizz scent really dissipates and leaves behind the fruits and florals.

The florals are dominant for me in this one, but the pink jasmine doesn't smell like regular jasmine to me, and isn't the star player. I get a lot more honeysuckle. The fruits are kind of in the background, and a little indistinct. I expected the plum sugar to be more juicy and plummy, and it isn't.

Overall this scent is a light purple floral with fruity undertones, airy and sweet and girly. It's not really my kind of scent, but it's pretty and doesn't have a ton of throw.

Everything about this scent screams "little girl". The kind of little girl I never was. But I can't help but love this bubbly effervescence. A sweet, candy-like fragrance that's unbelievably grounded by florals. Spring, spring, spring!

Origin: decant circle by Absinthetics

Initial Thoughts: With the carnation, honeysuckle, and jasmine, this one is hitting a lot of my favorites.

In the Vial: A burst of floral, but there's a thread of something that makes me pause. I don't think it's the grape, but it's a sweet note that is at the same time cloying.

Wet: That thread is there for just a second, then melts into the lush bunch of florals. It is indeed effervescent, it's sweet, and bubbly as if flowers could make champagne.

Drydown: This has settled down into a lovely lightly greeny spring floral. The "purple" for me is light and airy, rather than deep and commanding.

Verdict: As I hoped, this one will be a bottle purchase.

In the decant, it smells very fizzy. I can detect the fruit and the jasmine as well.

When it is first applied on the skin, it still smells very fizzy, like a sparkling fruity beverage. As time goes by, the fizzy scent starts to fade, and the fruit and florals come out more. It's definitely a purple scent! Sadly, the jasmine does peek out more with time. My boyfriend made a comment that this scent smelled okay from far away, but it was too 'perfume-y' up close.

Verdict: This will not be a bottle purchase for me.

There's almost something bubbly on wet about this, but it's quickly a sweet plum, black currant and carnation blend.

This actually puts me in mind of Morgause - minus the incense, but plenty of dark purple and plum notes.

Plum, purple, heady.

Fizzy! I don't really care for fizzy scents but lets give it a go.

On my skin wet: Purple fizziness, he fizziness is like opening a can of soda and sniffing from really close, it tickles your nose. I get the plum a hint of chemical fizz and a floral that I can't place. Smells clean and purple.

On my skin dry: The fizz has calmed down a bit but left a chemical scent that makes the whole blend smell like a cleaning product. I get the jasmine at the very end of the dry-down.

If only I could delete that metallic carbonated scent.

Quite fizzy, slightly fruity, but not very sweet. I would say that this blend is more unisex, which is surprising to me looking at the notes. I'm thinking the juniper/fizziness and lack of sweetness is making it feel this way. Clean, crisp and refreshing, but not really me.

Sweet fizzy jasmine, perfect for a hot day! I think it's the plum sugar giving it an almost candied sweetness, but the fizziness keeps it light. The honeysuckle adds a fresh sweetness as well. :wub2:

This was another one where the notes looked iffy on paper, but on my skin it’s wonderful! It reads almost as a sophisticated blackberry soda to my nose, sweet with the berries, grape and plum sugar but not too sugary, effervescent and with a wonderful undercurrent of jasmine (the non-cat-pee kind) that makes it unique. Sometimes elemi and honeysuckle can break a scent for me but I barely even smell them here. Wherever the honeysuckle is it’s probably blending very well with the jasmine. Plus it has real staying power—I didn’t need to reapply all day.

In the decant: Effervescent fruit and floral blend!

Wet: Not so effervescent now, but otherwise much as on cold sniff.

The dry-down: Not a morpher. Very well blended mix of the fruit and floral notes, with the sugar to keep it sweet. A great happy perfume for warm summer months.

Alas, my much beloved notes of currant and carnation are lost in sharp jasmine and eleni, resulting in a "perfumey" scent that is oddly dusty and dry, like an old bottle of perfume found at the back of the bathroom cabinet. I envy those people who got the sweetness and purpleness -- curse my chemistry! This one is going to swaps. :-(

At first it's fizzy elemi, then it's jasmine. Jasmine smells horrible on me.

This is a pretty aggressively happy day.

It is the kind of happy day that reaches out of the bottle grabs you with a smack around the head of cool fizzy effervescence and announces that yes indeed, you will have a Happy Day. Preferably filled with fruit and maybe one of those "dry"sodas that are sold in the expensive cardboard four-packs at whole foods. Grown-ups wishing to have particularly happy days may mix their soda with champagne. Dry, not sweet.

Perhaps you also require flowers on your happy day? Well yes, we have some particularly well behaved jasmine, a delicious cloud of honeysuckle, and some spicy carnation grounding the whole concoction.

I love this, but I'm also a little scared of it. I'd _better_ have a happy day today. Or else.

Tzi

In the bottle - A kind of lemony detergent backed by the cat pee note I associate with jasmine

Wet on me - Still detergent and cat pee

Dry on me - Eventually (and it is a long eventually) the jasmine lets go and I get a soft sugary floral

Overall - I like the final dry down, but I brought this blend hoping the jasmine would be minimal and on me it seemed to be the predominant note

Wow, this is the soapiest bpal I've ever tried. Exactly like sniffing a bar of inexpensive dollar-store soap. I can feel this at the back of my throat, blech!

Decant: WOAH! Honeysuckle out the gate!
Wet on Me: Mostly the Honeysuckle with faint traces of the jasmine
Drying Down: getting that effervescent champagne note now over the honeysuckle and the growing stronger jasmine. They are beginning the stompy boot dance over everything.
Dry: it got scary for a moment as the Jasmine was threatening me with a bad time but now mellowed out to a kinda sweet but not, sorta effervescent kinda floral scent. Will probably pass this along

This is one of those imps I got because I just... purposely ignored the scent I hate in hopes it would just get drowned out by everything else. But alas. Jasmine, my nemesis. I thought you being PINK might make you act differently.

Wet in the imp; Jasmine.

Wet on skin; JASMINE.

Drydown; JASMINE. I mean, it's a very pretty Jasmine. I was hoping since I amp carnation they'd duke it out and I'd be able to survive without smelling like babypowder flowers. There's still hope. I'm going to wear it for a while and see how it plays out.

But for now - it's probably the PRETTIEST Jasmine I've ran across from the lab. Sweet, rounded, beautiful for a Jasmine. It's got pretty tame throw (considering it amps to china for me), but compared to normal scents it's got mid-far throw. But it's still jasmine. I'm just waiting for the end-game to see if Carnation can come play. As you can tell, all the other elements are just background for me. I'm not familiar with Elemni, but I hear it's lemon/peppery? So that could be the tipping choice. Plum sugar is not here, as far as I see. It might be adding that gentle dab of sweetness, but it could be the "nectar" too.

It's pretty, light, floral, slightly sweet, non-cloying, non-powdery. It's very well defined for being so floral. I think if I decided I wanted to try being a girly carefree floral person, this would be a great gateway scent. The longer it wears the more green it feels - what I mean, is it actually smells like a living flower I could pluck. I don't usually get that with Jasmine, I usually just get pounded with FLORAL. So it's refreshing.

Defined, sugary floral. Jasmine predominant.