Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Dedee

Mother Shub's Gingerbread Temples

Mother Shub's lovingly hand-crafted gingerbread temples are sure to summon a little extra joy for the wee ones! Mother Shub's secret gingerbread recipe contains ritually-consecrated resins and pulped root from her own hydroponically-grown Saturnian ginger cultivar. Each temple is decorated with sweets from local candymaker Abyssal Addictions!

I am such a fan of Gingerbread scents :joy: so when this one was announced as one of this year's Yules it took me all of about 2 minutes to place an order!

wet: a slightly gingered sprinklecake to me. All the sugar baked goodness of walking into grandma's kitchen during Christmas

drydown: it's delicious, but I can barely detect the gingerbread in this one. It's all cake and cookies, which is yummy, but gingerbread is still hiding from my nose

verdict: After a few hours the gingerbread did come through softly and it is a wonderfully foodie scent, but when I need Gingerbread I'm probably going to reach for something stronger like Flesh Eating Reindeer or my favorite BPAL of all time, Bedbug! If other Gingerbreads were too strong for you than this is the gingerbread scent you should try!

In bottle: This is not really much like the gingerbread of previous years. It's candy dominant with strong resin support. The gingerbread is second in strength and functions as a spicy bready canvass on which the candy sweetness is painted. Wet: Still candy dominant, but the ginger makes a bit of a comeback. The resins play well with both factions and stay a strong second. The ginger a strong third, with the spices giving the whole blend a yule appropriate edge. It definitely suits the idea of decorated gingerbread temples as the sort of gingerbread you build with isn't as strongly scented in the real world. Dry: Mostly sugar and spices.

Edited by Gwydion

Odd... I get no real bakery gingerbread out of this. It is almost a heavy floral with a sprinkle of some raw ginger something in there. Maybe I go a mislabeled bottle? Maybe I need to let it sit, since I JUST got it in the mail. But this is no bakery scent to me...and it hangs around kind of thick!!!!

I like this one a lot. It smells like raw ginger and honey to my nose.

The honey note has an almost floral note that makes it rather pretty. The honey really blooms on the skin and isn't really like honey in bpal normally is. This is like opening a fresh jar of raw honey, the kind that just transports you to the field of flowers it originated in.

I was very pleasantly surprised when I first smelled this in the bottle. It is not not foodie to me but has a lovely sweet ginger spice scent. I am a big fan of ginger scents in general and this is soft and very wearable. The honey note combined with the ginger and spices make this very crisp and compelling and leaves me wanting more. It stops short of being powdery and the scent lingers for hours. It is very enticing and I am happy I purchased a bottle of this without testing it first.

Vetiver, smoke, and gingerbread. It sadly just smells like earthy burned gingerbread. :( I was hoping for a really resinous sweet molassesy ginger. But sadly not.

It dissapeaes on the drydown too :/ blah

Odd... I get no real bakery gingerbread out of this. It is almost a heavy floral with a sprinkle of some raw ginger something in there. Maybe I go a mislabeled bottle? Maybe I need to let it sit, since I JUST got it in the mail. But this is no bakery scent to me...and it hangs around kind of thick!!!!

I like this one a lot. It smells like raw ginger and honey to my nose.

The honey note has an almost floral note that makes it rather pretty. The honey really blooms on the skin and isn't really like honey in bpal normally is. This is like opening a fresh jar of raw honey, the kind that just transports you to the field of flowers it originated in.

Oh, so that's what it is~! I put it on and it is ALL SPICE ALL THE TIME. Then it dries down and I was sniffing my wrist wondering, "Is there some sort of floral in here? My stupid skin amps florals like crazy. There is one flower that is supposed to be keeping the peace in the background and my skin is making it scream at me."

But no, it's honey and it's supposed to be there! I knew it didn't smell quite like a flower, nor like sandalwood, which was the only other thing I could think to compare it to. It's very sweet and pleasant, and I'll probably keep my imp, but I don't know if I need a big bottle. :/

This smells like really spicy ginger biscuits/cookies. It definitely has cinnamon and some other spices. I can smell the honey too, when I first tried it I thought that it was butterscotch or something like that but then I realized that it must be the honey. I think that the honey evens this out though because the ginger in this seems like it could have the tendency to be sharp, but the honey softens it :)

This is like a honey single note on me. There is the teensiest, tiniest hint of ginger, but when I try to sniff it, it evaporates into the honey.

I'm kind of sad about it because I'd love to find something a bit more cakey.

This smells like O... with the slightest hint of ginger and flowers.

The stollen one smells a lot more like what I was hoping this one would. Going to age it to see if it turns better... but as of right now it's not doing much for me. If you like O this might be better on you

This smelled like a resinous temple full of gingerbread. It smelled a little weird at first, but upon dry down it was amazing, rich soft and sexy. I might have to get a bottle!

Count me as another who took away floral-with-ginger from this more than anything like a gingerbread. I also got a whiff of the candies and icing from Maison en Pain d'Epices. For my gingerbread needs I'll stick with Gingerbread Poppet.

In the decant: Ginger and resins--that's hopeful!

Wet: Nice resins, some gingerbread.

The dry-down: Mostly those lovely resins in the end. Not much gingerbread, but that's okay, because I have run across very, very few gingerbread scents that work on me, alas.

For some strange reason, I pictured a gingerbread cake in one of those Bundt pans that are shaped like a church, while testing this. Not sure why.

Ginger, resin and honey. That's what this smells like. If you like honey or ginger give this a whirl. It pitches slightly floral on me during the drydown.

Soft, spicy, ginger.

Sweet, spicy floral. It doesn't smell of gingerbread at all. Throw is good - I put a bit around my neck and on my wrists and I was catching little whiffs of it all day. It's definitely not what I expected, but I find that I really like it regardless! I'll be ordering a full bottle before the Yules come down.

Ok, my skin is doing incredibly funky things to this. I'm not getting much in the way of ginger, but I am getting something that seems to be reading like caramel? WTH? It's very cloying on me, and I just don't get it because ginger, honey and resins are normally all notes of win for me. Harrumph. Stupid skin chemistry.

Something in this goes funky on my skin. BO/socks-kind of funky :( I'm not sure if it's the specific honey or a resin, but Bien Loin D'ici did the same thing on me. I've tried a fair number of honey scents and Bien Loin is the only one that smelled weird on me so far, so I'm suspicious that it might be the benzoin rather than the honey.

On me this is soft and gentle ginger with honey - more like a sweet than a gingerbread. There definitely isn't cinnamon in it as I don't have a horrid burning itchy sensation. This to me is the winter version of AE Aegypti - honey with a bite. :wub2:

This one starts off gingerbread heavy with a touch of honey. It smells creamy somehow, as if it's creamed honey rather than actual cream. The ginger is non foody somehow as well, I know that doesn't make sense, but even though it's sweet, it's less so than other incarnations. It keeps morphing into honey dominant, then ginger dominant. I quite like this, there's a bit more of a 'bite' to this than other ginger blends. I so rarely use gingerbread blends, though, and there are quite a few that the lab turns out, so I'll just use my decants when I need my gingerbread fix.

I wasn't really sure what this smells like, but reading over the other reviews, it does seem to have an odd, floral honey overlay to the very dry gingerbread scent. As it dries down, there's a powdery incense edge to it as well. It doesn't smell delicious or as foodie as I was expecting, almost like a dusty, dried out gingerbread on my skin. I was surprised that this isn't really spicy or strong on me.

In the bottle - Spiced honey mead

Wet on me - Sweet rich mead, with just a hint of the gingerbread beneath

Dry on me - Nothing at all

Overall - I was really excited by this wet, but it just disappeared on me

In the bottle: light classic gingerbread...but very light

Wet: again very light gingerbread with maybe a touch of honey. I thought this scent would be stronger and a little twisted like the other Mother Shub scents I have tried. But it's actually very light and there's not much going on.

Drydown: This faded super fast but I wasn't surprised since it was never heavy to start with. It is a nice gingerbread scent though just very quiet and has no throw. If your scared of Gingerbread this is the one to try first. It won't scare you.