Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
strahlend

Frank Burns

As you pass down Houston street, faro banks abound, till we reach an unpretending red brick building No. 25, kept by Frank Burns, known as the "Judge and Jury". This is a great resort for the sportsmen both of this and the other country. Everything here is conducted in a respectable and orderly manner.

Bay rum, polished oak, exquisite pipe and cigar tobaccos, and a splash of bourbon.

This is GORGEOUS!

Tobacco is strong, sweet, and dominates this blend. The rum and bourbon are more subtle. The oak is providing a smooth and sophisticated base.
This is tobacco lovers heaven. It smells like walking into a tobacco shop that has some really classy wooden furniture. It's very atmospheric but not overwhelming, at least not for me. The sweetness of the tobacco meshes into my skin and becomes an almost vanilla-tobacco-soft wood sort of skin scent. I think I'm going to try to secure another bottle or two before this one comes down.

Reminds me of: Buggre Alle This Bible, Havana, Mahogany Hall atmo spray, Antikythera Mechanism

Totally agree with strahlend . This is pretty fantastic . I find the rum to be just ahead ( but not by much ) of the tobacco . It's just enough to darken and soften the tobacco note . But this is all dark notes and polished dark woods . And I love it . Probably not very feminine , but I could imagine it working for some . I don't know how many ladies would get past the description to chance it . But if you like dark , boozy scents , give it a try . You more than likely won't be sorry .

I have to say Frank Burns to me, has the same vibe as Badgers. It's a splash of rum, and lots of sweet tobacco. This is the masculine version of Badgers.

Fabulous.

I bought this one for my husband, but after smelling it on him I had to try it for myself, too. He amps wood notes more than I do. On him it was a more sophisticated scent. You could definitely smell the oak along with the tobacco and rum. He said it made him feel like a distinguished sort of gentleman. It was just the right amount of smoky and sweet. I never thought I'd find something I liked on him even better than Calico Jack. This fits the bill. However, a little bit went a VERY long way. It had a tremendous throw. It made our whole house smell like a humidor.

On me it wound up smelling EXACTLY like The Tata, not that I thought that was a bad thing except it was a little disappointing to have a scent twin in two different bottles. I lost all of the oak and amped the tobacco to a high degree almost to the exclusion of anything else. It's pipe tobacco all the way, too, nothing ash tray about this.

Thoughts before testing: This will most likely be too masculine on me, but I'm trying it nonetheless :D

Wet: Sweet chewy tobacco and woods. On me, this smells like Antikythera Mechanism without the vanilla.

Dry down: This tobacco is lovely and slightly richer than in AM to my nose (maybe because it's pipe *and* cigar?) This isn't for me, but I want all of my lovers to smell like this :lol:

Dry: At the very last, it turns slightly sharp (woods have a tendency to do that on my skin), and this is too masculine for me but it's lovely.

Final thoughts: As I currently have no lover to pass this on to (and won't for the foreseeable future), off to the sales this goes!

Verdict: Sales.

Hubba Hubba!! This is a smoky spicy sweet scent of hotness. The notes mingle on my skin, very well-blended, and it's not at all masculine on me. I can see the comparisons to Antikythera Mechanism, but more boozy, without making me worry if I got pulled over while wearing it. Love this one!

Well, hello there tobacco and oak!

In bottle: All oak, all the time.

Wet: Very strong oak mixed with tobacco and maybe just a little booze on top.

Dry: The oak calms down on my skin a bit to let the tobacco come out more along with the sweetness of the booze. After about an hour things calm down and there is just a touch of sweet rum keeping me intrigued.

I would say this is a must if you like tobacco.

Ok this one went weirdly medicinal on me and I can't even begin to explain why. I'm tempted to blame the bay or the "polished" oak note. This wasn't smooth like I was hoping, but instead rather harsh. The tobacco came out during wear and tried it's hardest to temper whatever sharp medicinal note was amping all to hell, but it was completely overpowered. Boo.

This is mainly sickly sweet oak on my skin, I also get the medicinal vibe for which I blame the pipe tobacco. :ack: It almost smells like there's wine in this. Frank Burns is a bit of a mess on my skin. I'll pass.

There is no damn way that this should work on my skin. While fresh and wet, it's sickly cologne, oak, and Jack Daniel's. But then once it dries...it smells like a smoky, boozy, delicious man. What I am imagine Josh Brolin from Gangster Squad to smell like. :yum:I am keeping my decant. It's too sexy not to keep. And a decant will last me a life time. :D

I don't really like bpal's oak or teak notes (which tend to smell dark and slightly bitter on my skin with a powdery finish), and I think that's the main thing I'm getting here, along with a smoky tobacco and masculine spiciness from the bay rum. I might try out my decant on my husband, but I don't think that this is going to be a favorite for me. I'm not a huge fan of tobacco or oak scents, though.

Despite the masculine-sounding notes, I bought this for myself because I can usually rock whatever scents I want regardless of "masculine" or "feminine" vibes. This was sweet tobacco and booze in the bottle and warmed to woods, sweet and smoky tobacco, and bay rum. Pleasant enough on me but I had the husbeast try it and it was a winner on him so the bottle found a new home with him :D

Wet, fruit and musk. Dry, the fruit (I'm guessing this must be the pipe tobacco), fades and the woods and musk are dominating. Nice dude blend, sweet woods and musk on me, I bet it would smell great on a guy.

ITB: It smells like cough syrup-infused rum and polished wood. It's a bit strange.

Wet: Cherries, bourbon, rum, rich tobacco and just a hint of polished oak. It's very much something I'd imagine a "gentleman" smelling like.

Dry: It's deliciously smoky - think and somewhat fruity - slashed with bourbon and good rum and just a touch of polish underneath. I like it and I want to smell my husband in it.

Wet: Sweet and brown. Smoky woods and jellied tobacco.

Drydown: There’s quite a bit of gummy sweetness coming from somewhere. Sort of frothy and boozy with a slight tingle from the bay. The oak grounds the scent as the smoky tobacco, boozy bourbon, and sweetly-fresh bay meld together in a beautiful, almost-but-not-quite-gourmand, cloud of goodness.

Dry: Softer and smoother now. Slightly spicy, subtly sweet, and softly smoky. As the day wears on it grows smoother and spicier.

7 out of 10 bones

I think I've finally found the pipe tobacco blend I've been searching for! Frank Burns goes on surprisingly sweet and does not read as masculine at all on my skin. Rich, sweet, fruity pipe smoke is the dominant note -- cherry tobacco? Not quite what my grandfather smoked, but lovely nonetheless. The booze and woods are in the background, and there is no revolting cigar smoke; the pipe tobacco is really the star here. It rides close to the skin, but given how my skin tends to obliterate pipe smoke blends in about ten minutes, I am thrilled that this one is sticking around. Good thing the groundhog saw his shadow because this is a terrific winter fragrance. Win!!!

WOAH booze and tobacco! Smoky bourbon and rum-y oak, polished to a wicked sharp shine - decadent and high-class to the nth degree. The scent of billiards tables, crisply tailored sportscoats, and pristinely waxed mustaches.