Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Invidiana

Thieves' Rosin

Increases the chance of successfully picking pockets by 25%.

This was a really hard one to pin down, but it is just sexy. The first thing I get is woods and resins, and then a sensual musk snakes through and take the whole thing to a completely different level. Since this specifically has "rosin" in its title, it made it a little easier to know what type of resin is in here--for those who don't know, rosin is a type of pine resin and the same type of note that's in Mr. Fezziwig's Ball. I definitely get that deep, slightly sweet resin right off the bat. The wood is a little more difficult tp grasp, but I'm venturing to say there may be teak in here judging by how it reacts on my skin. It has that same smooth, wood-but-not-wood drydown as teak, just not the same kind of finish as sandalwood. Not "woody" enough to be mahogany. No lacquer notes that I can detect. I told you this was hard to pin down! Finally we have that musk, which I think either is a sort of Indian musk or must have Indian musk involved somewhere. It's more noticeable than skin musk, but not quite as intense as Siberian musk. The scent as a whole is unisex and neither warm nor cool, and there is a certain oddly airy and uplifting aspect to it which makes me think, however strange this sounds, that it would actually layer well with Vial of Holy Water. I can't wait till it's released because this is another one I'm buying vats of.

Wet: Gorgeous wet rosin. I mean fresh rosin, with woods, and a little bit of musk that turns cologney on me.

Drydown to the final drydown: Gorgeous rosin, with a hint of woods, and a bite of cinnamon on my skin. As soon as the the cologney note burned off (which didn't take too long) I was in heaven. :wub2: Will need a bottle of this stat to add to my RPGs. :D

I was hoping for something kind of like Rogue without the leather - as much as I love leather, it's not always needed. However...

In the bottle: You know when you get a magazine full of perfume samples? Yeah, like that - but a men's magazine full of cologne samples.

On Me: Yep. Like a magazine full of cologne samples. It has a woodsy back and kind of reminds me of Georgio Armani Code, strangely enough. I couldn't handle the smell for a number of reasons and had to wash it off before dry-down completed. (When I did dishes later, I noticed that my hands smelled like Kirkland Signature Laundry Detergent - I think it was a mix of my citrus Dr. Bronners and the leftover perfume - weird!)

I think I'll stick with Rogue.

In vial: Glimmering spices. I agree that it is probably Indian Musk. It reminds me of what I like about Galvanic Goggles - this being much slinkier and 'lighter', but not insubstantial.

Wet: Waxy, warm rosin. I get the impression of candlelight, shadows, and soft footsteps.

Dry: It's settled into a slightly metallic, cinnamon-tinged wood scent - like a polished, aged wooden chest of spices and gold coins. I don't know if there is really cinnamon in the blend or not. My skin reacts to large amounts of it, and it looks fine even though I slathered.

Verdict: It's basically the scent of a pilfered treasure chest. My nose is glued to my wrists. What more can I say!

Sharp rosin, very manly and cologney. After dry down it warmed up and was pretty sexy. I don't think I could wear this, but my boyfriend could!

I do not get the men's cologne which is a good thing. This opens up with the rosin note with a bit of dry dusty wood in the background once it starts to dry down. The one thing that I have not seen in any review is that the drydown for me is a very strong beeswax note. I am loving this a lot. Thieve's Rosin for me is rosin, light wood and a generous helping of gentle sweet beeswax.

This smells...dangerous.

On my skin wet: Smells sharp, woodsy and a bit of leather. I don't really get rosin out of this, it's woodsy but it's also very perfumey.

On my skin dry: The sharpness has toned down but it stays pretty much the same. It settles on an unisex perfumey almost-leather. Lots of throw.

Smells like sharp pepper, sickly sweet honey, and a bad musk with a touch of soap that reminds me of hairspray.
It also has that cheap, plasticy undertone that I get from a lot of the RPG blends.
I don't think that the RPG blends are made with very high quality oils, because they remind me more of soap making oils and have a harsh, off quality to them.

Got another frimp of this and tried it again and it is basically a beeswax single note on my skin, right down to being waxy and a touch smoky. Light burning a sweet beeswax candle.

Edited by Little Bird

In the imp it smells like teak and cologne, a fairly sharp men's cologne with a strong wood note.

Wet it did something horrible for about ten minutes. It smelled exactly like being in the dentist's office with a helping of latex band-aid on top of that. I was really tempted to wash it off. However, I was heading out and in a hurry, so I refrained. As it began to dry, there was a little pine, a little moss, and something sweeter and more incensey. OK, that was much easier to tolerate. I was happier with that stage.

It's the dry stage after several hours where it really shines. The moss note grounds it. There's teak wood again, and a rich, resinous scent that reminds me of a sandalwood necklace I used to own. If there is musk in this, it's one of the lighter ones, not black, brown, or red. There's almost no throw. I just occasionally get this nice whiff that reminds me I do have perfume on today. I'm looking forward to seeing how this plays with Thief and maybe Fighter.

Lovely dude cologne at first. The fresh cologne fades, and leather comes out. Still a great guy blend, but different, more leathery and resinous now. I can see why this would increase your pick pocketing skills, as it is so damn distracting, I'd probably either end up stripping the pick pocket or just giving him my gold. :lol: I'm going to save this for a future guy in my life, as I wouldn't wear this, but still would love to smell it on a guy.

In the Imp (ITI): I get smoke, vanilla, wood resin, and musk.

Wet: The rosin (pine resin) is a bit more clear here, but now I'm picking up something that reads as orange along with the musk and the vanilla.

Dry: It smells like honey, cocoa, and teak wood. Odd but interesting.

Very light woods supporting a sharp leather, with just a hint of spice. The leather borders on chemical. It has a definite cologne feel on me, but it's rather tame, not too strong and overall muted.

I could not resist layering this with Rogue. The worn leather in Rogue tempers the cologne sharpness, but I find this Rosin blend also brings out a nice musky base and softens the intensity of Rogue. They are very similar in nature and the shared elements are enhanced - soft woods and the presence of comforting leather.

On it's own, this is an odd little scent; wet, on me it's pine rosin, straight out of your violin case, with bright green herby notes on top and something sweet and musky below. It's sharp. Then some spice emerges, and the pine fades away. On drydown, it becomes more and more a mellow, sweet amber, soft and spicy. Reminds me a little of The Lion. Not a huge throw on me, but a very long last, hours and hours.

The best thing about Thieve's Rosin, however, is what it does to the other blends in the RPG series. Layered with Dwarf, it becomes...something spectacular. Seriously. I call it Thievin' Dwarf. Dwarf tends to go very sweet on me, and fades too soon. With the Thieve's Rosin layered over, Dwarf has MUCH more staying power, and the sharp resinous notes counter the sweetness of Dwarf, and the whole thing fades into a delicious amber/spice/wood that lasts forever :wub2:

Layered with Orc, Thieve's Rosin is another win. The blend is VERY sharp at first, but mellows to a beautiful resinous, musky leather, with bittergreen high notes, then a long drydown to glowing spicy leather. :D

I can't wait to try this with other RPG scents!

[Edit] Now I've tried this with Elf and Half-elf, and it's still full of win for me.

With Elf, TR initially amps up the sweet piney-woods of Elf, but then morphs into a delicious, lingering vanilla note that I really like. Lasts all night! :D

With Half-elf, TR jazzes up some spicy resins and wood while it's wet, but the drydown is a very masculine musk; very long-lasting, quite pleasant, but too butch for my taste; oh, well!

Edited by gythja

In bottle: Pine resin with lots of musk. There is something woody and something like polish with a hint of the sweet. Wet: The dominant pine resin softens on the skin while the rich woody scent moves into mild dominance. The musk is one of the gentler ones, but rich enough to blend beautifully with the wood and rosin. I am now suspecting a touch of incense tying things together. This is lovely and on the slightly masculine side of androgynous. Dry: Fast fading to wood with a touch of rosin.

I was wondering what made this scent heavier than what I was expecting, and echo the "It must be musk!" comments. It's definitely Rogue stripped of the leather and near-floral hemp. What's left is a sweet, muted pine on a bed of thick musk. It doesn't read as cologne to me. The musk is actually quite warm and soft, not the type you'd expect in a more aggressive scent. I can see (smell?) this being worn by anyone who likes a touch of comforting woods without the bitterness you'd expect from a pure pine note.

I'm sad. There's something in this that turns sickly sweet on me, not unlike the sickly note I unfortunately got from A Low Candle-Lit Room. I'm not too pleased, and I really wanted to like this. :cry2:

Freshly put on my skin Thieves Rosin smells like cinnamon, rose, and pine.

On dry down it turned to burnt plastic with hints of cinnamon. Something in it morphed for sure. : (

Edited by icecreamcone

Frimped from the Lab.

IN THE IMP: A surprisingly sweet woodsy resin. Wondering if there is cinnamon or nutmeg in there? Not what I expected.

Dabbed on wrist and in crook of arm.

WET: This is REALLY sweet. The sweet overpowers the woods and resins a lot. And it's super strong (or maybe I overapplied because woods and resins tend to need a little more liberal dab). It's like someone's baking sugar cookies in the woods.

DRYDOWN: This just gets more and more cloying the more it dries. I liked it a lot more in the imp than I do on my body. There's also something that reminds me ever-so-slightly of Van Van, except that I really like Van Van, so I'm thinking there's just more of whatever it is. Ever-so-slightly lemony snickerdoodles.

OVERALL: Just no.

On a scale of 1-5, a 2.

I didn't know what rosin is. It's pine resin, so it makes sense that this is a woodsy, resinous, sweet, slightly powdery blend. I agree with other reviewers that there's a ton of warm musk as well. For some reason, this blend reminds me of several different things: cola and tanning lotion and a yoga studio. I wouldn't say it's super-masculine, but rather a blend that would appeal to anyone who loves resins.

I just got this, literally just plucked it out of the mailbox. I tend to categorize my perfume oils by what feeling or state of mind I feel they induce, and I got this one thinking maybe it would feel sneaky to me. You never know when you'll need to feel sneaky.

Initially it smells like wood, maybe a hint of nutmeg along the top, and warm beeswax. Sort of like a cross between Cathedral and The Lights of Men's Lives.

As it dries I smells like the wood is charring slightly so that it has a faint smoke smell along the with a dry wood and beeswax. The hint of nutmeg blends away so that you don't smell it on its own. I think it's just adding some character to the woodiness.

I don't get cologne, cinnamon, or even anything especially masculine in this. Instead what I get is a room in a medieval convent full of burning candles and with beams on the ceiling. With some manuscripts lining the walls.

Not exactly the metaphor Beth was going for, I realize.

Edited to add: This might sound strange, but as I'm wearing this one more it's reading a bit like Door to me. Which I suppose makes some sense, since Thieves' Rosin is beeswax with resin, and Door is honey with cistus (also a resin). Of course Door has blue chamomile and nicotiana as well, which aren't here. They smell just a bit related; cousins, or second cousins, rather than siblings. Door is my very favourite BPAL of all time, so that's seriously a compliment.

Edited by ivyblossom

At first this was a strong cologne with some woods and maybe vanilla(?) - I second the Van Van comment. Usually beeswax is a note of doom for me, so I was leery when people mentioned that one. However, this has dried into a very comforting, warm and snuggly musk scent with a hint of sweetness and decent throw. A keeper!

Imp: Cloyingly sweet and sappy.

Wet: An incredibly sweet piney rosin with a backing of dry wood. There is a sharp masculine note for me that disappears as it dries.

Dry: Sweet powdery musky wood. It still has maintained an incredible sweetness. I also think there is a bit of beeswax in these. It's sweet and smooth over the powdery musk-wood combo.

Verdict: I like the warmth of the musk and wood in this but the sweetness is perhaps a bit too cloying on my skin. This would work very well for those who want a warm smooth sweet wood scent. I'll keep the imp around and see if I ever find it less cloying.

Clove cigarettes! Wheee!

And pine resin. And is that teak coming out after drydown? I really need a teakwood single note -- need it. Love it.

I'll forever associate clove cigarette smells with going to haunted houses, so I guess that makes this more or less seasonal.

This was a BPTP frimp that I knew wouldn't work for me when I first sniffed it in the imp. I finally tested it today, and I was right, it doesn't work on my skin. It has gives the weird sensation of being both sharp and cloyingly sweet. And it's giving me the hint of some buried scent memory that is not a pleasant one. My elf is just going to have to find some other occupation besides picking pockets.