Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

MRS LEWIS
Mrs. Lewis of 45 E. Houston street keeps a private house of assignation. It is conducted very quiet and orderly.

White sandalwood and tea roses.

You'd think it'd be all tea roses, since rose is such a bossy note in my humble opinion.. But you'd be wrong. This one is pretty much even balanced, with the wood evening out the floral so it's not OMGINYOURFACEROSE. Sadly, as it fades, it starts taking on a sweet, powdery quality that doesn't work for me.

Sandalwood, to me, reminds me of pencil shavings. And since art is my hobby, I like that scent. I would honestly say that the white sandalwood here quietly tones down the rose. ...This scent reminds me of a lightly rosey version of Intrigue. I love Intrigue, I have a cobalt 10mL from '06 that sits in my GC box and this smells more like the newer imps that I get sometimes. After this dries though, it does become dusty. It's dusty in the way that Havisham was. I guess I would say this is Intrigue + Havisham. This is very proper and ladylike if you can envoke that idea. I love reading Victorian novels so I love that I have a bottle of this to dab on when reading.

This is pretty much dead on for what it says it is. I always smell sandalwood as rather light and dry, the white variety being a little musty/powdery in particular. The rose here, is like the Cherokee Rose SN in that it's also the powdery perfume-y variety of rose. This isn't the rose from The Rose, or Rose Red, or even Peacock Queen or Dawn: Maiden - this is the rose in Ouija - and with the double whammy of powdery and dry - it just felt way too "lil ol' lady" for me.

Tea rose usually smells sweet & a bit fresh to me and white sandalwood turns to a creamy powdery smell. But somehow this reminds me a lot of Pulcinella & Teresina (notes of Labdanum, cedar, teak and red rose). The rose smells dark, intensely dry, crumbly, red and slightly perfumey, and the wood smells dark and sort of ashy and sinister. I was expecting a delicate rose with powdery undertones, but this is dark, intense and almost masculine-woodsy on my skin with an odd peppery quality :huh:

Bright, cheery rose, and dry sandalwood at first. The sandalwood is nice with the rose, they kind of balance each other. After a bit, the sandalwood takes a back seat and it's pretty much sour rose now. Rose often turns sour on me, so this is a 'no go'.

In bottle: dusty tea roses, a hint of sandalwood.

Wet on skin: the sandalwood starts to bloom warmed on my skin, and the tea roses soften, and starts to go powdery. It's a very pleasant, posh, old fashioned sort of scent.

Dry: tea roses and sandalwood, in equal portions. This is the simplest NYCC scent, but what you expect, you get here. This is a very old-fashioned, but not grandmother-y, and it does stay a tea rose (which is naturally a powdery kind) rather than straight-up powder on me. It's quite pleasant and brings to mind period hats and wallpaper and boudoir.

Verdict: a long time ago I wanted to have a rose scent, but now I have resigned myself to the fact that I just don't like smelling of roses. :( But this is very, very pretty, I waffled about keeping this.

ITI: Faint tea rose and white sandalwood. It's actually very proper.

Wet: Pink tea roses that smell freshly bloomed followed by warm sandalwood.

Dry: After a while, all I get is tea rose. It is pleasant, but not complex.

this starts out as a sandalwoody-tea rose, with the sandalwood being stronger than i personally enjoy, then the tea rose becomes more prominent and i like it more, at least from a distance. the pencil-shaving scent of sandalwood fades in and out on me.

Edited by theseagrows

I put this on today to retest--I haven't been wearing it and couldn't remember if I liked it!!! I do. It doesn't smell like either sandalwood or tea roses to me but that slightly acidic dry feeling rose hip tea when it goes on. After a while it blooms into pretty roses with the woody base. Sandalwood is usually warmer on me--not as hamster or pencil as say cedar--but this one just teases in and out.

I'm a fan of BPAL roses and I have to say that this is one of my very favorite rose blends.

On my skin it is the most fresh, sweet, lovely rose. The sandalwood is there but mostly as a buttress to the beautiful rose. The two work together amazingly.

I sometimes have issues with roses going sour on my skin but Mrs. Lewis is just perfect. It's the BPAL rose blend I've always wanted and finally found.