Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Lycanthrope

Spanish Moss

An omnipresent feature of haunted antebellum mansions: drooping, moribund tendrils hanging solemnly from ancient oak and cypress branches.

Mmm, I can definitely tell that this is blended into some of my favorites, like The Apothecary, Bayou, Jazz Funeral...

But the single note definitely does not play well on my skin - it's sharp, earthy, but more of an airy, dry, clod-of-dirt type of smell, and then the single note spirals higher and higher, being a sharp, biting presence. Not grounded. Which is kind of like spanish moss! Drydown is slightly lemony, but only a touch. I've never smelled true spanish moss up close, but this evokes the dangly gray bits.

I got two bottles, and may be able to dirty up some scents with it, but it's not purely pleasant, if that's what you are looking for.

I have to say I'm truly shocked. I almost didn't buy the Spanish Moss SN because I didn't think I was into green earthy scents. This scent smells sweet and clean to me. It definitely reminds me of perfumes from my mother's bathroom drawer when I was little. There was an instant "Oh, so this is what that smell is". I can kind of detect a slight bitter note like citrus. It reminds me of being in the low country in South Carolina minus the fishy ocean smell, almost in the aquatic category. Beautiful, I will definitely wear this again.

2012 version:

In bottle: Spanish Moss, extra lush and green. Wet: Sweeter and even more lush on the skin, sexy and vibrant. My skin has always loved Spanish moss in other blends, and it turns out that it’s brilliant on its own as well. Lots of throw. Dry: Ends up a drier, darker green, more like it smells in blends.

Like girbot, I got a "this is *almost* aquatic" sense of this single note. And it's the 'almost' part that saves it, because me and aqua notes do NOT get along. :evil:

I also agree with the assessment by Lycanthrope that this is not purely pleasant. Some of the other SNs, I feel strongly, can be worn all on their own. But this one is something that I would add to another scent if it needed some earthiness or some grounding. I could see putting this in a very sweet foodie scent, for instance, to give a bit of depth. Or even adding to a clean rose like Peacock Queen, to give it more depth. But it's unlikely I will wear this on it's own unless I'm feeling like I need to do some very serious magick.

A very dangerous sort of green scent. Not a close or clauterphobic green, more airy but also somehow dark? Has a hint of bitterness in the green, not at all sappy or fresh but more leafy and slightly citrusy. Very unusual and hard to define.

Airy, dusty, earthy/green botanical

I didn't expect to like this, since I dislike Zombi. The "mildewed rose" description sounded pretty unpleasant too. It does smell sort of rosy, or rose-geranium like and it does have a fuzzy gray overtone, but somehow this smelled good to me.

It has a clean aspect that evokes dry, dusty bathroom drawers that used to hold soap. It also reminds me of a zoo, somehow. Not the animal smells of course, but the deep green humid tropical-ness of a botanical garden.

Edited by patina

Rose petals (or something similar)- and under that, moss/greenery and a hint of damp soil.

Sweet and earthy at the same time.

EDIT: I took this out a few months later - and it seems to have changed by aging. The sweet/rosey smell seems less drastic and more well-integrated into the scent. There's also a bit more moss/greenery and a hint of an aquatic note. Still a little sweet but not as sweet.

Edited by Cactus

Thanks to the lovely schackjj for the sniffie. :wub2:

I went into this thinking it would be deep yet slightly sweet scent a la oakmoss, but what I got instead was a bright, aquatic clean green, like spring in a bottle. Wishing I had picked up a bottle, and will definitely start looking for this in blends.

Spanish Moss single note smells a lot like Bayou (which makes sense, of course, as it is a note in Bayou).. bright green, sour, aquatic moss. It smells swamp-y.

I find it interesting, but (like Bayou) it's not really wearable for me. It just has a sour/bitter quality that smells off on my skin.

Lush, green, aquatic moss. It definitely smells swamp-y.

Its got water + plants, with a slight perfume tinge.

Not sure that I enjoy it as an actual scent, but probably blended into other scents quite effectively it gives that watery planty smell that I love.

I have always loved, loved, loved the lab's scents that had moss in them (when I could smell the moss anyway), like Deep In Earth and 13 Hours. Those happen to be two of my favorite BPAL scents as well. Coincidence? I think not. Therefore, when the SN went live I knew I had to buy it. With many thanks to the lovely angelamaria who organized a group order, I was able to get it!

In the bottle: Oh my love, we meet again. Moss. Sweet, green, amazing moss. I want to cover myself in it and live like a dryad.

On my skin: The amazing sweet green is indeed covering me now! Can I go live in the forest now? I'll behave, I promise! A few minutes later there is a feel of something sweetly powdery, which reminds me of Turkish delight, but the perfume is not powdery if that makes sense. I just feel like it is a moss-scented Turkish delight (I'd love to try that, by the way! I'm weird, I know) but that doesn't reduce it's awesomeness and green-ness at all.

Drydown: Lovely, sweet moss. *hugs it* If only I could make a moss cloak that smelled like this and wear it every day!

A heady, green scent, unisex, a bit of spice. I recognize this in some more masculine bpal blends. It's quite nice, and not invasive at all. Glad to try this, but I don't need any more than my sniffie, just not me, and leaning a bit too much on the masculine side.

I just grabbed a bottle from the sales page because I have been waffling on this once since it was up and the price was right.

Green, citrus, and some sort of floral. The floral isn't identifiable (so no rose, magnolia, jasmine, or freesia) but it definitely smells like a garden.

The floral disappears and I'm left with a green soft scent. Something like Hagsgate, but less vegetal.

I'm glad to add this to my SN collection and will definitely wear it alone in the summer.

i cannot think of what else i've smelled spanish moss in. maybe graveyard dirt! i think there may be something somewhat similar in graveyard dirt. it also smells masculine to my nose and i think it may be a component in certain manly bpal blends it smells green, very clean (not soapy) and slightly spicy.

OH WAIT! i just looked it up and spanish moss is a component in vicomte de valmont, which is my husband's very favorite bpal. it definitely has a clean, masculine cologne feel to it, while remaining fresh. very nice, and i wonder if my husband might like to wear it sometimes as a change of pace.

i love the single note series because i feel like i am learning so much more about the notes that are in my favorite bpals! i feel like my nose gets an education every time i test one out.

I got a sniffy of this in a decant circle order and I'm surprised by how much I love it.

It has a very pungent, tangy smell mixed with a rosy-geranium scent as posted above.

I swear I'm almost smelling a tiny hint of dill in this too, but maybe it's just my nose. o.O

It's a keeper, I want a full decant, at least. :wub3:

Edited to add: I also have to agree about it being very reminiscent of a soap drawer long

since abandoned. My great grandmother's bathroom with paper lined drawers and fineries

covered in a fine layer of dust. It is very evocative for me and is probably why I love it very much.

Edited by petrichorandleather

(I'm going through some of my old notes. I tested this at WC when it was first released.)

I really liked the Spanish Moss SN. It was kind of earthy, but also kind of light in a way, and green. It's fresh without being dryer-sheety.