Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
hlinspjalda

Blauer Mond

Brian's interpretation of the Blue Moon. A glimmer of hope emerging from a sea of dreams: sea buckthorn berry, terebinth pine, frankincense, hyssop, white sage, Neptune's night-blooming jasmine, cucumber, lavender, ambergris accord, and violet leaf.

Of all the blue moons, this one appealed to me the most; it sounded both unusual and full of notes I can wear.

In the bottle: Aquatic, evergreen, herb, but somehow also warm. I really like this; it is deep and dark like a pool of water reflecting the moon.

Wet: The jasmine note is strong now. Night-blooming jasmine likes me, but so far this one is cooperating with some of the more delicate notes. Still an aquatic vibe, but I'm a little worried it's going to go over to tannin. The white sage is fine on me, but violet leaf is iffy.

Half an hour: The cucumber is the perfect anchor for the jasmine here. It fixes the tendency of the jasmine to go strident, adds a lovely aquatic note, and keeps bringing me back to huff some more. This is really nice on me and unless it changes catastropically I'm definitely keeping my bottle.

Two and a half hours: It survived a load of dishes! Still a very nice, very soft aquatic jasmine note, but by now it's as much herbal as floral. I'm getting the sage, the hyssop, and some evergreen along with what I think is the violet leaf. Overall it reminds me right now of the early phase of Velvet Cthulhu on me, with the same herb-frankincense axis.

The night-blooming jasmine note in this one is very true to the plant, which grows locally to me. Even though I have several night-blooming jasmine scents (notably Faiza, but there are others), this one is very different from almost everything else in my stash thanks to that aquatic tinge.

I don't usually have a lot of luck with the eclipse or blue moon scents, so I'm thrilled at how nicely this one works on me. Edited by hlinspjalda

I was very excited for this; it just sounded so different and interesting!

First sniff: It smells... well... natural. That's the first word to come to mind. In the bottle, it smells wet and green, like standing next to a dark river among the reeds at night. Maybe part of this scent is in an olfactory blind spot of mine or something, because even in the bottle it isn't strong. Usually, smelling stuff right out of the bottle just about bowls me over.

Wet: It is hard to pick out notes from this one. It's very melded and smooth. I can pick out the cucumber and the night blooming jasmine (which is bitter but not cat pee this time around), and the ambergris is floating around it like a cloud. This scent does not have a lot of throw to it, but I do smell it better than I did in the bottle. The night blooming jasmine is amping just a little, which concerns me.

Dry: The night blooming jasmine receded to the background, and this scent has become absolutely lovely. It's really not my usual thing, but I like it tremendously. Overall, I'd use words like ephemeral and wispy to describe this scent. The greenness of it reminds me a little of the crisp green wetness in Nefertiti's wet stage. It is a beautiful, interesting perfume.

ooh i really like the way the lavender & pine work together in blauer mond. there's a nice resinous backdrop with the frankincense and the sage and ambergris work beautifully, too. this is VERY strong and a little goes a long way. i had worried about the jasmine and cucumber but they're lost under everything else at first- i get more jasmine as it dries but it is not overpowering and actually quite nice.

not what i expected based on the description, but BETTER!

Thoughts before testing: I have a terrible track record with the Lunacies, but this one just sounded too perfect to resist!

Wet: Sharp pine and sage and a hint of jasmine.

Dry down: I'm amping the jasmine in this like nobody's business. All I can smell is the dirty diaper of jasmine.

Dry: Yup. Nothing but dirty jasmine for me :cry2:

Final thoughts: Officially, I'm declaring jasmine to be an enemy of my state. I'm sure that this is beautiful, but sadly very much not for me.

Verdict: Away with thee!!!

On my skin wet: Sharp pine and lavender. Fortunately the sharp pine needles are toned down once it dries down a bit. I get the sage now and a hint of night-blooming jasmine.

On my skin dry: It morphed into something gorgeous! Sweet melancholic night-blooming jasmine with a backdrop of pine and lavender. I think the ambergris is helping Blauer Mond lose the prickliness it had when it was wet and the cucumber gives it a slightly airy feeling. This is a stunning perfume, a little of it goes a long way on my skin.

Started out with the sea buckthorn I really love... and then a Jasmine scent I have never actually experienced, it was gross instead of great. I've never had jasmine turn on me like this before, Blauer Mond and I just were not meant to be.

In bottle: medicinal, green and aquatic. I'm getting lavender, sage, jasmine, and ambergris, and altogether it's a slightly floral herbal blend, "cool" to the nose.

Wet on skin: I think the hyssop is coming on on my skin--it's now a bit strong actually, but other than that addition, there is nothing different from the bottle scent. Maybe a tad softer.

Dry: the green is fading, leaving behind an almost creamy aquatic sort of scent with almost-sorrowful flowers. Dry, this reminded me of a softer Evening Star, but with a dose of hyssop--and I'm not really a fan of hyssop so Evening Star stays. This blend is hyssop and jasmine in an aquatic background, in a nutshell, getting softer and softer the longer it stays on my skin.

Verdict: without the hyssop, I think this might give Evening Star a run for her money; it's soft and pleasant and comforting with a light touch of melancholy that is really pretty.

I was super excited about this one, and this is a first-day review, but we'll see:

In the bottle: Kind of like a bathroom air freshener - a little pungent, almost a "faux" scent.

Wet on skin: Whew! That's a strong burst of scent. Green, with a strange spiciness, and the cucumber springs out. For the first 10-15 minutes it smelled very fake, though, so I was super worried.

Dry: It's been on for about an hour now, and it's settled into a green, musky smell that is a little spicy, has the hints of jasmine, lavender, and I think I can smell the pine and sage, plus an occasional whiff of cucumber (which is the note I wanted).

This is the first big-mix bottle (lots of notes) that hasn't given me a headache. It's a nice complex scent. I think I'm going to keep it! Pretty pleased.

Very TAL like at first, a herbal lavender. It dries down to a soft, floral lavender, very much like Silver Phoenix on me. I could swear that there's moonflower here, but it's not listed. This is a soft, wispy ethereal blend, I'll probably use it at bedtime, it seems like that soft, comforting kind of scent. I'll probably use the decant, but an upgrade is not necessary.

This is one of those scents where I'm glad I had the chance to smell it without knowing what the notes are. I sniffed it at Dragon*Con and immediately wanted it. It was a lovey, light aquatic with some floral/herb thing I couldn't identify going on in the background.

I came home, bought it without more than a cursory glance at the notes and then promptly forgot about it until the box showed up this weekend. I wore it today for the first time, and kept smelling my wrists trying to figure out what I was smelling. It was lovely, but I couldn't place it.

I just looked at the notes and WOW. That's jasmine??? my cursed, hated jasmine? The scent that usually sends a blinding haze of floral stench and headache if it comes anywhere near my skin? And cucumber? The scent that smells so good on everyone else, but horrible on me? and ambergris, which I can't resist, but which I have t dab on a jacket, so it doesn't make me smell vaguely of kelp?

Yep, it's jasmine. And cucumber. And ambergris. The jasmine and the lavender are giving this a lovely floral note. The ambergris has nestled into the terebinth pine. The cucumber is probably adding to the pine/ambergris cuddle pile, adding a nice aquatic note. And everything is playing nicely. Amazingly nicely. I almost don't trust it.

This is a surprisingly lovely scent full of notes of doom for me.

Wet: The pine and the flowers combine in an almost herbal scent.

It dries into an almost skin scent aquatic. Very well rounded and soft.

Hours later: Sage is one of those notes that is always barely discernable initially, but dries into a pretty basenote. This whole blend is doing that. You can tell that I smell good, but not necessarily that it's from perfume. It's not my normal style, but I'm rather enjoying it.

Blauer Mond was a wild card purchase for me - all of the notes sounded good individually, but I could not imagine them together and was afraid it might turn out a disjointed mess. Fortunately, this is a gorgeous pastel watercolour sort of scent. The jasmine is pale and delicate, the cucumber is cool and watery, and the terebinth pine gives the scent body and throw without making it smell like an evergreen forest. There is also an underlying airy sweetness that makes me think of spun sugar. The notes combine to smell like a cool, misty pond scattered with waterlilies. Beautiful, and a new favourite for me.

Sniff: Jasmine over lush greenery

Wet: Yup, still jasmine. But a soft muted jasmine, very light and gentle. A salty note starts to creep in. I also detect herbs and a hint of pine. There's a wild aura to this blend, it's very evocative of nature without smelling earthy.

Dry: Interesting, as this dries it becomes almost aquatic. It's very clean, but not in a powdery or linen way. It's more of a flowing river clean, with ripe fresh herbs and brambles and flowers sprinkled along the banks. Very gentle and soothing. I really like this!

Sea-faring jasmine. I get pine, jasmine and something aquatic. The jasmine is well behaved in this blend, and smells almost 'herbal' and 'very green', in among some river aquatic notes.

Not my style, but a very pale blue blend indeed.

ITI: Wow, that's really clean and fresh. I get lavender, cucumber, sage, pine, and frankincense.

Wet: Sage comes on more strongly on my skin, followed by the lavender, pine, and then the cucumber, which I adore. There is a floral tone to it now from the jasmine and violet. Gorgeous!

Dry: Faint lavender, violet leaf, warm ambergris (super light though), and cucumber. It's rather lovely and I regret not getting a bottle.

Oh, oh, oh. I want to like this one. It's got some aquatic and herbal notes I love, but the frankincense is not letting me enjoy them. It's all "HEY, HOW YA DOIN'? THE NAME'S FRANK. FRANK INCENSE. LEMME LIVE UP YOUR NOSE FOR A WHILE AND SMELL LIKE CHEAP YUCK."

Frank and I don't get along.

This is the first full bottle I've purchased that I"m most likely going to have to sell. :(

Kind of suncreen-y wet, this strongly reminds me of... something. Great, thanks ability of olfactory to connect scent memories with actual memories.

It becomes more and more herbal as it dries, and though it's already not really something I'd wear every day, it's beautiful and clearly very well-blended.

The florals never really pop out in this, and the lavender is strongly herbal, but that just makes it more interesting. The cucumber keeps it fresh, and the frankincense gives it even more depth without coming off incense-y or smoky.