Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Smoky brown musk, cucumber, green-tinged ozone, cypress, white mint, jungle orchid, and juniper berry.

I will say that I am not a mint or juniper fan. I was not looking forward to this one at all. But wow! It is something totally unique. I can't really explain it, and it really is just kind of a ghost-flash of it, but there's almost something watermellony in here. The mint is barely there, for anyone who doesn't like mint I would not rule this one out because of it. I think there is a cucumbery-ness (look at all the words I am making up haha) that adds that fresh splash that makes it all smell a little like watermelon. And I really do mean just a little. Yet, as bright and green as this is, there is an earthiness to it that is really amazing. I recommend everyone sniff this one at some point.

I thought this sounded HORRIBLE from the notes, but it surprised me by actually being one of my favorites from this update. It's very fresh and green, especially at first; the top notes are a sweet melony cucumber and clean, slightly fizzy-smelling mint and ozone. As it dries down, the brown musk emerges as an identifiable note. That plus the juniper and mint give it a slightly WILF-like vibe to me. I feel like it's a pendulum swinging between opposite poles: super clean, freshly showered skin tinged with the smell of shower gel, or the same skin after working in the garden in the sun--slightly sweaty, dirty, and earthy. It's so weird, but I like it!

In the decant: My first thought is... lemony? And sweet, with some freshness from the mint. Kind of gum-like - a lemony-mint gum.

On my skin, it's still gum-like. Kind of reminds me of melon, though it's not a listed note - that same sweet-fresh quality. Mostly, just gum. That said, I actually really like this and am considering a bottle! It's very refreshing. As it dries, I'm getting a teeny bit of an incensey smokiness from the brown musk. Not detectable to my nose: orchid, ozone, juniper, cypress.

When it's entirely dry I am mainly getting an incensey, sweetish brown musk. I really like this stage!

Edited by sunlitgarden

I get no smoke whatsoever which is a relief. I really like this! It's like a nice mint cucumber tea.

This is nicer than I had expected. Thanks to Absinthetics who recommended that everyone should at least try Juniper Hairstreak! I dislike cucumber and wouldn't have picked this scent if you hadn't prompted me to try it.

On my skin wet: Sweet mint and a slight watermelon scent. The mint is the same as the one in Juke Joint which is one of my favorites. So far it's a pleasantly soft scent. The orchid is blending very well with the juniper. The cypress is arriving late at the party and comes through when the oil has almost dried up.

On my skin dry: Ozone is melding with the mint making it a bit sharper. It actually smells cold and airy like a yuletide scent. It's still sweet. There is a green note that is ruining it for me when it's dry though but I can't pinpoint it.

This is a nice scent, there's something for everyone in this.

In decant: floral, with a definite cucumber note and a hint of that juniper berry. It's more fruity than floral, although this is something that I might wear--it's not an overt floral. There's a tinge of ozone and mint as well, sweet and light.

Wet on skin: this doesn't change from the decant scent--cucumber, mint, and a hint of sweetness. The musk, if it's there, just a grounding element, not really front and center.

Dry: this has gone rather soapy on me, but stays true to scent--cucumber, a softer, almost-sweeter mint, slightly fading. The other notes are just in the background. Light sweet cucumber scent, rather pleasant if it wasn't for the soap!

Verdict: nope, not for me.

Woe is me.

I was very excited about this one, the musk and cucumber combination seemed like a great summer combo... on paper.

In the imp it's a sweet, cucumber-y scent.

On wet, it remains the same but somehow feels more delicate.

As it dries, I get the watermelon and gum thing. It reminds me of a shy and wilting cousin of 'Tis the Voice of the Lobster. There is a whisper of musk and mint but I detect nothing else.

Within two hours it's practically gone.

I'm very, very sad. :sad:

This starts off quite well on me: I don't normally care for the sharp quality of ozone, but here it lends just the right amount of crispness to the wet stage to make me think Juniper Hairstreak would be delightful on sweltering August days.

Unfortunately, as it dries the cucumber and brown musk take over to create a strong melon smell that just does not agree with me. I'm glad I tried it, though.

Edited to change "brown muck" to "brown musk". A Freudian slip?

Edited by OctoberGwen

In the bottle and on my skin, this is very heavy on the ozone. It's sharp, high-pitched, soapy and dry, like huffing a box of laundry soap powder. As it dries down, I can smell a bit of the cool cucumber, and it smells like cucumber melon scented laundry soap. Sickly sweet and soapy. :sick:

Juniper Hairstreak is way too sweet, soapy, and dry smelling for me. It smells so much like a box of overwhelmingly scented laundry soap, and it gives me a headache (I get a headache if I stand in the laundry soap aisle of the grocery store for too long, and that's totally what this reminds me of). I don't get any of the musk, which is the note I was most curious about.

Cucumber, ozone and a tinge of smoke. As it dries, it gets warmer and the musk comes out more, the cucumber recedes, and I get a more musky sweet blend, with hints of melon and ozone.

It's an odd mix of warm musk, smoke, and sweet. I really don't know what to do with it.

So far, this seems like the nicest butterfly on me. I'm getting refreshing cucumber and musk, and the cucumber is not going bitter on me like Sqirting Cucumber did. There's a touch of mint, which makes this a very nice summer blend, and I'm certain I'll use up the decant. I'm not getting any smoke here, though I'm glad that I don't.

I'm afraid there is just way too much juniper and cypress here for me. Surprisingly not much cucumber comes out, but it might be because I amp the juniper and musk the most. I actually like the musk, and while I can do hints of juniper or cypress here and there I just can't wear something this dominant in those notes. I had hope for the orchid, but can barely smell it. Oh well.

Edited by Invidiana

ITI: I smell the mint, but it’s a candied mint, paired with the musk and cool cucumber. There might be a hint of juniper, but it is incredibly faint.

Wet: I’m getting mint bubblegum, ozone, lots of delicious musk, and a seductive floral aspect from the orchid.

Dry: This one fades fairly quickly, but after my third application in 12 hours, I at least have something left on my wrist to review. I get faint musk, juniper, and ozone. It reminds me of the velvet on butterfly wings – beautiful yet ephemeral.

You know those square chewing gum pieces that were in the gum ball machine that ya got a handful of for a quarter? All different flavors and colors. that taste if you stuffed them all in your mouth at once?? A bit fruity, gaggy sweet, and a taste of mint from that nasty white one that tasted like crap? This scent smells just like that mouth full of gum flavors tasted. Its so wierd to have a scent trigger like that. This isnt a bad perfume. ..its just so strange on me...is strong as all get out too. Not my cup of tea.

In the decant: Ozone tempered by the other notes. Lovely :)

Wet: Seems to be turning sweeter.

The dry-down: Alas, the brown musk is coming to the foreground and dominating the blend. Yet another one that doesn't work in the dry-down.

In the imp: Interesting. Sort of a sweet, lollyish cucumber.

Wet: More floral, though the almost melon-y cucumber note is still prominent.

Dry: On me, a rather powdery and sweet cucumber/melon scent. Not bad at all!

BPAL ozone scents generally turn soapy and overwhelming on my skin, but this didn't.

It's a sweet green scent. The cucumber note is quite recognizable, but not in its usual watery guise. If there was such a thing as candied cucumber, this is how it'd smell.

The mint and juniper take this scent in a very interesting direction. They temper the sweetness without ever becoming piercing or upsetting the delicate balance of the blend. It's a sophisticated scent that brings to mind luxury cosmetics and spa treatments. A very pleasant suprise! :wub2:

To my nose: Sharp and cologne-y with traces of mint and watery cucumber. There's also something.. I wonder if it's the orchid that is making this smell somewhat sweet? Because I don't think juniper berries are sweet-smelling?

On: Green! Sweet cucumber and mint with a tiny bit of ozone (I would assume the ozone is what my nose thought was cologne, since men's perfume usually have "ozone" put in the notes). It's so hard to explain exactly what it smells like, but I like it. It's cool and fresh - might be just a tad too sweet for me to use during blazing hot summer days.

I'm playing online with a friend and keep sniffing my wrist every chance I get - to the point that my friend says "Missy, could you please play more and sniff less?" I really like the smell of this and I'm quite happy that I got a bottle of it.

The next morning I can still smell the sweetness on my skin.

At first this smelled like clean laundry with a fancy smelling laundry softener to my nose, but later the soapy smell goes away and leaves this soft, green/floral smell behind. It is beautiful, but I don't know if it is a 'me' scent.

I’ve been avoiding Juniper Hairstreak for a while, but my goal for April is to be trying all the decants I have been sitting on untested. 
I’m glad I finally went for it!

This is a orchid-cucumber-laced brown musk, lightly touched by mint in the first half of the wear, and powdery sweet snuggly in the last half. Orchid is a favorite floral of mind, and it’s lush sweetness is surprisingly perfect with the fresh garden cumber and the furry brown musk. It’s like a well-fed dancing jungle bear... (*coughthebearnecessities!cough*) Okay, maybe not. It does make me feel happy. 

Edited by artisjok

Juniper Hairstreak starts off as mostly brown musk and cucumber on me, tinged with some mint and juniper. Over time, I get more mint, orchid, cypress, and ozone as the brown musk loses some strength. The combination of the warm musk with these cooler, refreshing sort of notes is a bit odd. I prefer the end result (less musk and more mint), but I don't think I'd want to go through the brown musk-heavy phase to get there.