Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
windbourne

Vespertilio Proterus

I love this blend - its very foody, and comforting.

Wet: it's spicy fizzy ginger ale and cream

Dry: as it dries, the ginger softens more and reminds me of a big scoop of French vanilla ice cream floating in a glass of ginger ale, but the ice cream has melted into the ginger ale, making it more of a ginger cream shake. The saffron is very mellow on my skin, and on me, just lends a very light perfume/resiny quality to the blend.

If you like Love's philosophy, give this one a try!

at first sniff it is VERY similar to mother ginger- a creamy sweet ginger scent- but with something REALLY REALLY unpleasant underneath. i don't know what it is- but i think it mind be the way the lime is interacting with the spices to my nose. the saffron and coriander are doing weird things… it's kind of sour/tangy.

as it settles on my skin and dries, it starts to smell better. creamy ginger with a citrusy lime bite and a blend of crushed herbs and spices. it starts off really weird but it becomes much more wearable as time goes on and by the end i like it a lot more. it actually wears better on my skin than mother ginger and the lime and spices make it a little more interesting.

I am loving on this ginger goodness on my arm. Wet, it smells like a ginger chew tastes. Bright and in your face. As it drys it becomes Verners ginger ale with lime floating in it. My skin eats this up fast, it faded away into nothing after an hour. Darn skin.

Imp: GINGER. CHEWS. The best candy ever! With huge hits of green spice and lemon. :wub:

Wet: GINGER. CHEWS. ON. MY. ARMS. With a gorgeous, non-foody vanilla, a huge lime or lemon peel throw, and the most amazeballs spices of all time. Holy freakin' crap, I want to eat myself.

Dry: :cry2: Like Love's Philosophy, the vanilla in this one goes into a slightly sour, almost burnt sort of vanilla-scented plastic smell. I still get that wonderful ginger and all those spices, so it's not quite enough to ruin it, but I was really in love for a minute there. I'm heartbroken it didn't stay the same as wet. I'll hang on to my sniffie, but I don't think I'll be seeking out any more.

In bottle: Delightfully Ginger Dominant with strong coriander support. Nutmeg is a close third. Saffron is working well with the other spices. Fig is supporting ginger. The vanilla cream seams to be tying it together. I’m guessing limu amani is adding a touch of tartness. Wet: More figgy on the skin, and also more saffron. It’s still ginger and coriander dominant, but the coriander is more subtle. The vanilla cream comes out more as it warms until it’s second to the ginger. Dry: Ginger, saffron, vanilla and… I think angelica.

I just received this. I would keep this for the bottle alone, so cute!

In the bottle, effervescent ginger orange soda?! It really smells FIZZY!

On my skin, it stays rather fizzy, a little spicier.

On the dry down the creamy vanilla comes in to soften this up a bit. Smells like a ginger ale float-using real ginger ale like Maine Root or Reed's brand.

The boyfriends opinion on the in-bottle scent? "Smells like the stuff they make you use at the dentist". That foamy fluoride stuff. Oh well, I like it!

This was one I just had to have based on notes and reviews, and was lucky enough to find two partial bottles for sale on the forum! Just got to try it today and nomnomnom!!!

IN THE IMP: Limesicle!

Dabbed on wrist and in crook of arm

WET: Sweet and delicious. The lime and the vanilla are prevalent early on, much like a lime float! I don't get full-on ginger (or any fig) but get the sparkly ginger-ale type of effect. Absolutely nummy!

DRYDOWN: This goes a little less foody and a little more perfumey on the drydown for me. On my wrist, it's slightly powdery, perhaps from the vanilla and the cream, while the crook of my arm is the spot that captures, finally, the fig (like a limey-sweet Nemesis!).

OVERALL: I love this. It's not something I'd wear as an everyday scent, because it's a little sweet and girly, but it's perfect for when I WANT to smell sweet and girly. I also look forward to trying to layer this with a few other scents that might offset the full-on sweetness to see what I can come up with!

On a scale of 1-5, a 4.5 with potential to move up in the ranks.

Wet, it's fizzy sharp ginger. Dry it's sweet creamy vanilla

In the bottle: This is a warm scent. I'm getting the ginger and vanilla most prominently, I think, with a bit of lime.

Wet on skin: Same, but with the lime coming out stronger now. I'm not really sure what angelica smells like, so I don't know if I'm getting it, but there might be a bit of fig in there.

Dried down: Same, with the lime mixing with the vanilla for a sugared lime/Sweettart scent.

Throw: I'm not smelling anything as I type, but the lime lingers in my nose a bit when I sniff my wrists.

Verdict: **** 1/* I really like this scent a lot. I do wish the ginger had been a bit stronger in the drydown, and that the coriander had shown itself more, but I still love the sugary lime scent I ended up with. I'd like to find one closer to my initial impression as well, though.

Hom-in-uh-hom-in-uh-hom-in-uh

Abeek bjazzer. So hot. Can't speak.

How did these sneak past me? Why didn't I try these? What was I thinking?

This is absolutely positively a new favorite. It's so very sexy, but bright and happy, warm and sunny. And very difficult to describe.

At first, it is like MB: Underpants, plus a healthy dose of ginger. It's got this lovely, creamy vanilla / saffron base. I keep thinking of a big, shiny copper pot, full of steaming heavy cream with golden threads of saffron and slivers and specks of black vanilla bean, simmering gently on a big stove. But the bright ginger perks it up and gives it a zingy, almost effervescent pop.

The dry down allows some of the other notes to come forward. There is a little bit of an herbal / perfume-y / floral in the dry down.

Sweet and rich, but not particularly foody. I wish I could describe this better, but words really are failing me. I love it. You should try it if you like MB: Underpants, or creamy vanilla, or saffron, or ginger. For gods sake! Try it!

Wow! This really is exactly like a ginger/citrus creamsicle. :eek: Wet, dry, in the bottle, on skin, on clothes... it's not a morpher for me. Unfortunately it's not a scent I'd really wear, but it's decadent and delicious if you're one of the lucky few who can wear things that smell this tasty and not go crazy with cravings!

I am a lover of all things ginger. But most especially, I love the Lab's effervescent ginger note, but it's hard to find, and it broke my heart once when I got an imp of Gnome that was from a batch variation and I couldn't get more of it...but I digress.

Wet: I can immediately tell that this is the same effervescent ginger note that was in that imp of Gnome that I loved so much. This makes me HAPPY. Mixed with the effervescent ginger are some creaminess and some lime, one of the few citrus notes I can wear, so this also makes me HAPPY!!!! Oh this is so good. Sweet (likely from the fig, though I can't pick it out) but not cloying, creamy without going plastic. It's like a limesicle with ginger. Or an ice cream float made of ginger ale and lime ice cream. It's gorgeous. I immediately want to slather in it.

Dry: This remains amazing on me, and I am so happy to have it! Creamy, effervescent ginger with hints of lime. Sweet, but not cloying. Good throw. I will wear this a lot this summer.

I see exactly what the previous reviewer meant by "effervescent" - this stuck as smelling nearly carbonated in the imp. It loses that aspect on skin, but it's still a great, spicy ginger-vanilla. Tragically I must report that, on drydown, I got the dreaded Play-doh effect. Oh, well...