Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
windbourne

Vespertilio Proterus

Warm golden ginger, wild fig, and vanilla cream spiced with saffron, limu amani, nutmeg, coriander, and angelica.

You know what this really reminds me of at first? Mother Ginger. It's a bit more herbal and less sweet, but the ginger note is definitely the same, warm, golden, and rooty, with a pleasant creamy undertone. The drydown is very different, however. This is not really a foody perfume.

As it dries, the lime pops up and does a hilarious little boogie, assisted by the pleasantly green fig and abetted by the nutmeg and angelica. During this phase, the ginger settles back a bit, but only for a short time. After a while, the other notes fade out and the ginger reappears with a triumphant fanfare of roots and fizz. Late drydown consists of a soft gingery haze with a subtle, almost fruity undertone.

It ends up feeling something like a ginger-lime soda with cream and crushed herbs. I like this a great deal and might make it my plane perfume of choice, as it has almost no throw (on me, at least), has a moderate wear-time, and the ginger settles my nerves, even with screeching children sitting near me. It was a pretty good call for rampaging around Disneyland, too. :3 Stomach wibbles? Ha! Not this time, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad! Not this time.

Overall, I find this to be a light golden-green scent of moderate strength and longevity, very slightly furry and thoroughly adorable. Give it a try if you like rooty ginger, especially the sort found in Mother Ginger or even Prosperity of a Country.

As a special aside, the full name on the label is "Vespertilio Proterus Kuhl". :) The more you know, the easier it is to google for cute pictures of bats. ;D (Not technically true in this case; it's easier just to look for "evening bat", "vesper bat", or even "little brown bat" for a zillion adorable pictures. I mean, provided that you like bats.)

This is a very effervescent scent initially. Very much so like ginger-ale :smilenod: This reminds me of Gnome initially, but with much less soap :lol:

However, 5-10 minutes in, the imps and goblins start adding scoop after scoop of melty vanilla ice cream. A gingerale float? I've never tried one, but this is what my nose is experiencing. I think I can pick out nutmeg and coriander a bit.. but honestly, to my nose, it all gets lumped in with the ginger and limu, to create that sparkling feel that reminds me of the ale. The fig and angelica I dont really ever find in this blend. Maybe the fig, but it would be a brown sugar+fig kindof note, maybe thats what is lending to the ice cream vibe I'm getting? Its just definitely more rich than plain ole' vanilla cream.

Hours later, The ginger float dessipates as the scoops of ice cream just get piled higher and higher, and the vanilla cream overtakes all other notes. I'm left with just a slight hint of spiciness.. almost as if its not even there, I'm jut remembering its presence. :lol: I really like this one.

Based entirely on notes alone, I had resolved to (moderately) hoard this one. But when I gave it an initial sniff at the Black Market, I was so overwhelmed by smellies that I actually couldn't pick out anything. not that that stopped me from obtaining two bottles ;)

Now, we shall see if one of these needs to be adopted into another family or if my foolhardy snap decision proved to be all the wiser...

In The Bottle: Interestingly, I'm getting orange creamsicle. :eek: I can only assume it's the vanilla cream and the saffron doing a little dance. I've not objections, mind you- but it's not what I expected.

Wet On Skin: Same! There's also a little Fruit Loop thing going on- I'd bet dollars to donuts that's the lime showing itself. I don't know if it's just me but if lime is added to most things, it makes that thing smells vaguely of Fruit Loops. Again, not a horrid discovery, just...unexpected.

Dry Down: Holding steady as a vanilla-lime ricky of sorts. In the same way that Kingdom of Sweets is crystalline sugary orange- all bright sparkles and hard edges with a nice dollop of citrus- so too is Vespertillio a sparkling-sweet lime concoction. Ginger scents almost always amp the ginger on me, almost to frightening levels. but here it stays well put. Throughout this has remained rather solidly Vanilla-cream, Lime and Saffron.

In All: Low throw, a sweet unassuming daytime scent. Fun and playful without being childish, I rather like it. I'm curious to see how it ages, but if it stays true, then I will probably keep my opened bottle and pass the backup off to someone who might really, really need it. :wub2:

Right upon application, you get that same fizzy ginger ale smell as in the "Champagne" scents. Then, gloriously, the cream starts to get warmer and slowly expands burning off the fizziness. This reminds me of a much softer and sophisticated version of Love's Philosophy minus the initial blast of mint in Love's Philosphy that fades out. It also reminds me a bit of Opuhi. This is a very subtle and slightly exotic-feeling ginger and cream scent - and so lovely, although other than ginger and cream, none of the other notes ever surfaced individually for me. If I had to choose a color for this scent - it would be a soft cream with little flecks of gold.

There is not a ton of throw unfortunately - it went poof on my skin in just about two hours, and I'm a slatherer if a scent is less strong - so I'm afraid I would never amass enough of this delicate beauty to wear it on a regular basis. I would probably reach for Love's Philosophy which is very similar on my particular skin and has tons of throw versus this blend - but the notes in Vespertilio Proterus are all blended so well that one cannot help to admire the artistry of the creator as always.

Naughty rating: One night stand that probably wouldn't be repeated and I would have trouble recalling the name of the lover years later ;)

Edited by GirlinDenial

This is all sorts of glorious! Its orange cream and a dash of ginger. Wow. This reminds me of I fell in love w/ a floating brain (which i love) w a smattering of ginger on top. But its definitely heavy on the yummy vanilla cream...and i am definitely in love!

I saw the above has an issue with it disappearing quickly, hopefully this delicious lil devil will linger for longer....

5/5

On the skin: This is really fizzy! Ginger ale annnnd.... a creamy sourness as well. Really interesting.

After a bit the fizziness backs off a little. It still smells like creamy ginger lime, but now I am getting an undertone of spice. Really interesting!

I don't think this one is for me, but I am really grateful for the chance to have smelled it!

:wub2: fairy!

-ETA- Later on, this becomes quite the vanilla cream scent. Now all I can smell is sweet vanilla ice cream!

Edited by Catseyes

Wet and in the bottle this is super strong ginger and cream. It dries down to the most delicious smelling vanilla cream ever! I was worried it didn't have much throw, so refreshed it a couple of times during work yesterday. I got compliments from two co-workers, which was pretty awesome...and the delicious scent of vanilla cream still lingered when I woke up this morning. I love this and feel very lucky to have a bottle! :wub2: :wub2: :wub2:

I knew this would be my favorite bat (and did I mention how adorable the label batty is?) :wub2: It's not a fizzy scent on me, not for more than a couple seconds anyway; then the vanilla cream, sarsaparilla and fig only keep getting better and better with the warmth of saffron in the background. The barest hint of lime remains on the drydown, but it's actually a pleasant tangy counter to the sweetness. It ends up as a golden vanilla cream, if you can put up with my synaesthesia, with sticky fig, a hint of warm spice that isn't "spicy" in the stereotypical sense, and a shot of sarsaparilla that reminds me a bit of Spicebush Swallowtail. Actually this is very much like a Spicebush Swallowtail and cream sundae, come to think of it. Love!

Much love to my fabulous fairy!

In bottle: fruity! There's ginger, and is "limu amani" lime? Because it has a definite citrusy feel. Looking it up, "limu omani" is dried lime, so that's near enough in my opinion. Also lots and lots of vanilla cream.

Wet on skin: mostly the same as the bottle scent--juicy citrusy ginger and lots of vanilla cream. It does tone down as it dries, not as "juice-y", with fig rounding this out a bit. I think I can sense the saffron, but it's definitely just a hint with the other herbs on me.

Dry: not as highly sweet or effervescent, but still definitely lime, vanilla cream, and ginger. This actually reminds me a lot of Geek.Goth--although Geek.Goth to my memory is a bit more effervescent than this one, and stays truer to its lime soda feel! This one is like a toned down, slightly-grown up Geek.Goth, with a bit of extra "adult" scents thrown in.

Verdict: very interesting, although I don't see myself keeping this for the long run.

Thank you to my amazingly wonderful fairy!! :bow:

First off, these labels are adorable!! Honestly, I think I would have a hard time parting with my two bottles for that reason alone. Now, onto the review...

Interestingly, my Vespertilio Proterus arrived the exact same day as my Diary of a Lovestruck Teenage Cannibal. I must be going through a ginger/cream thing right now. So comparing them side-by-side, they are almost identical on my skin. The only differences is that Cannibal is slightly more fizzy/sparkly, like an orange cream soda, while VP is more like an orange creamsicle (no fizz). They are both absolutley delicious, and while I'm not sure I need two that are so similar, I really love them both!!

I imaging VP will be a beautiful, creamy scent to wear during a scorching hot summer. I personally think it's quite foody, as the vanilla cream is pretty heavy, but it never comes close to bordering on cloying or sickly sweet.

I am so grateful to have this!!! :love!:

Edited by Glambie

This is a pretty sparkly ginger ale and slightly bitter lime scent when wet--reminds me of Independent or Polynesian Pop. I can see the comparison to Mother Ginger in that it's a pretty fresh ginger scent more than a baked good type of ginger. I haven't tried Gnome, but it sounds very similar. Unlike other reviewers, I'm actually not getting a lot of vanilla cream (I wish I was!) The bright top notes persist for a while and then fade into an oddly bitter/acrid, slightly plasticky smell on my skin that reminds me of the drydown of Monster Bait: Tokyo Stomp on my skin as well--maybe they share a vanilla note that's problematic on me. I really like it when it's wet, but I'm on the fence about the drydown stage--must re-try later. (I was convinced this Bat would be THE perfect one for me, too!)

This is like an A&W Cream soda with Ginger. It's all bubbly when I first apply it but that disappears after 10 mins and I'm left with a vanilla cream ginger saffron confection. I do not pick up any of the other notes, which is fine by me. If MB Underpants could have a younger flirtier sister this would be her. My skin has never picked up the butter rum in Underpants so in that vein it's like swapping out the sandalwood for ginger.

I agree with the first poster that it's the same ginger note in Mother Ginger.

This is a fun & flirty scent.

In the bottle: Fizzy lime with a sweet vanilla under it that has a certain buttery quality that actually scares me a little as it can be an amper for me. (Cream is about 50/50 on me. Sometimes it adds depth and other times it goes all microwave popcorn butter.)

Wet on skin: Hey there sweetness. This is like a Smartie (the American, pressed powdered sugar kind) dropped in a Sprite. Really, really hoping the ginger comes out to spice this up and the fig gives it some earthiness because at the moment this is a little too Pixie Stix, Bonne Belle for me.

Early dry down (about 10 minutes): The lime is getting more sour and realistic and less candy-like as this develops on my skin. The ginger has started to make an appearance and is a raw, fresh ginger kind of smell, but it's at the back of the scent as I huff, not on the top which I find a little odd for ginger. It's almost a shy ginger, if ginger can ever be shy. As I sniff, this has an almost cooling effect on my nose. As others have said, this is a very light scent -- although it does have some throw for me. But it is an airy, effervescent quality that makes it playful and light hearted. I can imagine this little bat flitting about smelling flowers and harassing bees.

Later dry down (about 1 hour): This is a fast fader and, for me, the spices and fig never did come out to play. I'm anxious to see how this ages, and if some of those notes come out from behind the youthful fizz over time.

Again, thanks to my fairy!

In the bottle: bright ginger, lime, and something softly creamy.

Wet on skin: fizzy lime with a melted creamsicle. Yum.

Dry: gingery creamsicle, the lime taking a back seat. Tremendous throw on me for the first 2 hours, then it calms way down. The the result is a rich slightly spicy creamy scent. Don't get much of the fig, but the fresh ginger scent is present.

This is the first 'cream' tone BPAL that I have tried, and its really quite pretty. The earlier part of the wearing reads 'summer' to me, the late dry down fall/winter. This is definitely a keeper.

Edit: so cream decided not to play nice with me, the second testing made me nausous to the point of a headache. This blend is going to be going to its new home soon of someone who loves it.

Edited by Larinessa

Definitely agree with the other reviewers: gingery vanilla creme with a lovely dance of spices in the background. Sadly, because my skin hates lime, there was also a bit of lime-funk in the background, too. But this is a proven fault of my skin chemistry, and has nothing to do with the scent.

It has great throw, with a little going quite a long way, and was still enjoyable enough for me to leave on all afternoon, even with the lime-fail.

Oh Vespertilio, my first heartbreak of the spring...

In the bottle this is a slightly fizzy ginger-lime-vanilla. Heavy on the vanilla and something a little spicy.

When I put it on it immediately smells kinda sticky, heavier on the fig and very sweet. At this point I start to think it's going to be a little much in the summer heat and will want to put it away til fall. Fortunately this stage doesn't last long, and it settles back down into a pleasant, sweet, slightly spicy, slightly lime-y vanilla. The vanilla reminds me a little of Love's Philosophy, which also has the saffron and cream notes (and interestingly also gives me that slight "soda" note at first!)

Love this one a lot right now and so glad I got my hands on a bottle. :)

Well, dang.

I really thought I'd love this because ginger and most BPAL vanillas and creams are all win for me. I'm starting to think that fig is not, though, and something about the fizziness here isn't working with the creaminess on me.

I haz a sad. :cry2:

Thanks to my fairy and my fairy's fairy! :wub2:

I also agree that at first this bat smells quite similar to Mother Ginger, which I'm grateful for since I (regrettably) sold my bottle of MG. There's a fizzy quality to the ginger though I'm not sure I like...it's interesting for sure, but it flits between effervescence and sourness. I think that may be the lime. There's also a funk to the background that I believe is the cream note disagreeing with my skin chemistry. Dammit. :huh?: I have yet to catch a whiff of vanilla.

I'm not going to be quick to offload this bottle since so much effort was gone through to get it, and also because the label's just so dang cute. Hopefully a few months of marinating in the BPAL locker will remove the sour funk.

EDIT: Now that the bottle's around 2 months old I decided to retest, and Vespertilio Proterus is a much richer, fuzzier animal. :wub: The fizziness from before is still there, but it isn't as prominent on my skin--more of a preview of things to come rather than the main event. I finally get the vanilla cream, which gives an overall thick (but not cloying) sweetness to the blend. The sour funk note is gone, and hey, I'm even getting saffron on the drydown! Yum! When I initially got VP it smelled like artificial cream soda + gingerale, but with a few months of aging it's now a spicy ginger-rich confection with thick dollops of vanilla cream. I can imagine this will be one amazing bat as it ages even more.

Edited by thatbrownelf

In the decant, it's effervescent and fizzy ginger with a hit of cream that makes it quite rich. On me, it's fizzy ginger all the way. After a bit, it smooths out into creamy ginger. I like it, but it's not my favorite.

Lots of spicy tangerine. This kind of reminds me of Opuhi, but with an added citrus, and red ginger. Dry, still gingery with tangerine, and a lovely cream. I really like this, it will be great for summer, though I find it has the same 'feel' as Opuhi. I'll decide whether or not to keep this, as I do have Opuhi..

This scent is really strange and all over the place on me. It's fizzy, spicy, sour, tart, and powdery-creamy, often all at the same time. I love the idea of creamsicle and gingerale icecream floats, but this smells strangely dry, warmly spicy, and sour on my skin. Some of bpal's scents turn powdery and blah on my skin rather than sweet and creamy, and that sseems to be happening here. The other notes chatter around that powdery smell and this just doesn't work for me at all...

Vespertilio Proterus smells like sweet tarts candy, baby powder, spicy ginger-nutmeg, fizzy ginger, and woody fig... which doesn't sound so bad to me, except for the sweet tarts, but the mix of all of those things together just makes me nauseous.

Edited by Little Bird

Ginger, saffron and vanilla cream. It's fizzy, spicy, sour and creamy all at the same time. Especially on wet. The ginger on me is particularly predominant. It's like it comes out and bats you in the nose and face. (Hee. Puns.)

I find it much more wearable on the drydown.

Ginger, creamy, spicy.

I received a frimp of this in a package I received earlier this week. I was super excited and grateful to have the chance to try this, but sadly it didn't work out between us.

In the imp, it smells like fizzy lime ginger ale. Once on my skin the fizzy note amps up and kind of takes over. In this stage it really reminded me of some kind of candy from when I was young, but I can't think of what. The fizzy note calmed down after awhile and the scent morphed into a really weird spicy lime with a bit of fizz. My mom said it smelled like incense (but she says that about almost every BPAL scent) but I couldn't smell anything but lime, ginger and "fizz". Interesting scent and I'm glad I got to try it, but not for me.

Ginger, saffron and vanilla cream. It's fizzy, spicy, sour and creamy all at the same time. Especially on wet. The ginger on me is particularly predominant. It's like it comes out and bats you in the nose and face. (Hee. Puns.)

I find it much more wearable on the drydown.

Ginger, creamy, spicy.

I agree with this description- I actually LOVE this perfume! I am not a ginger person either- this is the best ginger scent I have tried!