Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
lavinia

Blood Kiss

From the lab's description:

Lush, creamy vanilla and the honey of the sweetest kiss smeared with the vital throb of husky clove, swollen red cherries, but darkened with the vampiric sensuality of vetiver, soporific poppy and blood red wine, and a skin-light pulse of feral musk.

How could I resist to purchase a whole bottle of this one, having never read a review on it and never smelling it, after reading this juicy, enticing and jaw-dropping one-sentence description??? I mean, to quote a certain other Bpal fanatic and fellow Lusher*cough...L-a-l...cough*, I am not made of wood people, now am I??

So I took a chance and boy did it ever pay off!

I never have even tried any Dragon's Blood formulas before so this was a new experience in every way.

In the bottle: I smell vanilla, cherry, wood-notes, and it smells too sweet I would think for me. I usually like deeper and darker oils. I have faith in Beth though and in the description so I put it on both wrists and my throat- as a final vampiric offering :P

On Me: This begins to become complex almost immediately. I am smelling the clove coming through and the wine seething and clamoring to make its presence known. The musk warms it up and the cherry is now showing its vetiver tinged roots which I definitely am a fan of :D

An hour or so later: Wow...now it is warm, very comfortable and sexy on me with the cherry-vanilla brightness barely poking through the winey-clovey-musky mix. I notice when I step out of my car and then wind hits me, a winey-berry sweet note which I hadn't noticed before wafts up towards my nose and I like it. This one is just full of surprises and each one, a good sort of surprise.

If this were a person, I would propose.

I am very pleased I have a bottle of this one...ahh Blood Kiss...even the name is perfection. :D

eta: spelling boo-boos

Edited by clover

the first thing to hit me with this is the musk and what must be vetiver. very feral and animalistic. almost too much so.

i put some on and the musky verging on muck is immediatly dispersed by the sweet cherry and vanilla. the wine is also there, and the clove is just enough to make it spicy. this is *really* sexy. a lighter version of bloodlust, to some degree, though i don't think there's any dragon's blood here.

yeah. sexy, juicy and amazing. would probably smell even more delicious on a man. a long haired man dressed in black velvet. ehem.

When first applied Blood Kiss had a sort of musky clove scent on me, not bad, but interesting. With a sweetness underneath, so it was a bit dry and sweet at the same time.

After drying down it smells absolutely incredible, the vanilla and wine come and fill in all the spaces, making it this warm, luscious scent. BPAL wine notes simply sing on me, and this one is gorgeous.

It's soft, but with edge. Sugar and spice and everything wicked.

Love it, and it will definitely go on the bigger bottle list.

This is very sweet on me, but in a way that I like. It's very deep and complex, and I do think it's very sexy. I think I will need to apply it sparingly, as it is rather strong and sweet on me.

At first, the cherry is very strong. It's a black cherry, very dark and sweet. It also smells like chocolate at first on me, oddly enough. As it dries down, the vanilla comes up, and what I get most strongly is a deep cherry-vanilla scent. It's almost creamy, and still reminds me slightly of chocolate and cherries, even though it is most definitely a vanilla/cherry/honey smell. I get just a whisper of musk and clove, which works out well. The sweet fruity creamy aspect of the scent keeps it feminine, while the background of darker, muskier things balances out the sweetness, adds to the deep complexity, and brings out that little tinge of sex. I love it!

Edited by sarahmarie

In bottle: Cherry, clove, vetiver and wine. There's something extraordinarily wild and uninhibited about this fragrance.

On me: I get the almost-chocolate scent that sarahmarie mentions when I first apply this. You smell it and you know it isn't chocolate, but something about the fragrance puts that note into your mind again and again. The vetiver is strong - my skin magnifies it like crazy, which I hate - but sweetened by cherries and wine. The scent is feminine yet complete against everything that I would normally consider a 'feminine' scent. Oooh, and there's the vanilla. Delicious.

This is GORGEOUS! A slightly spicey honey/vanilla with an undertone of vertiver. It's not fruity at all to me, of which I am very glad because berry smells aren't my favorite. It's not a fruity scent at all, toned down a lot, I assume, by the vertiver and musk.

I LOVE IT!! :P

First Impression: Sweet and creamy.

Second Impression: This is very much like a blend of Dragon's Milk and Desire. That comforting, sweet candy and vanilla...for a while anyway. Until my arch enemy vetiver rears it's ugly head and this blend turn into nasty lemon ass on my skin.

Final Analysis: I had to take chance and try Blood Kiss for the name and the majority of the notes. Unfortunately the vetiver took over after about 50 minutes and I had to scrub it off. And damn, it's tenacious and I can still smell it after two washings with dish soap. DOH!

very rich and busrting with juicy, and with lots of, dare I say it, sex? The musks and all smell very sexy to me, however, this was not so good as a day scent for me as it was too stong and made me feel nervous. This would be awesome as a night time/going out scent though.

I get vanilla, cherry, spice and what smells to me almost like pepper. Very heady and loong lasting power. It's been on 12 hours almost and still going strong.

I like this one, but i think it would suit someone with a bolder personality better.

Edited by Lucretia

Blood Kiss

The very first whiff of Blood Kiss threw me because it had something next to chocolate in the smell. But, that didn't last and soon, on the second whiff, that musky-incensey-HERE I AM!-scent came out. This one changes a lot from vial to skin and the change is worth it. The cherry and vanilla come out to tone down and sex up the vetiver and musk. The wine blends in with all of this, yielding a potent, heady blend. For the first five minutes that I had this one this morning, I was sure that it was going to go off to the swap pile. It was all right, but still sort of 'eh'. But, as the day wore on and as I touched up the scent with dabs from the wand, I grew to love it more and more. I'm very, very fond of it now and find it to be sensual and whorishly sexy with a biting (no pun!) edge to it. Yum!

This one, I couldn't resist. I love vanilla, honey and clove.

In the bottle, all I smell is vetiver, poppy and musk. Very dark and thick. I don't really smell vanilla or honey, and no clove or cherry at all.

After a few minutes on my skin, I do smell the vanilla and honey coming through to balance out the dark stuff.

Drying down the cherry comes through more, but it's nice. After even longer, I get mostly vanilla and clove.

Manymany hours later, it ends up being very soft, vanilla and powdery on me.

I think we have a winner. :P

Blood Kiss

First impressions: Oh, I was hoping that "the honey of the sweetest kiss" was a metaphor, or just a really lovely turn of phrase. Apparently not.

Upon first application: #%@& honey! My mortal enemy. It just jumps right out at me and taunts me, saying "Haha! I'm going to stand here and just let enough of the rest of this scent through to taunt you with how beautiful and sweet and earthy it is....but I'm not moving." Sigh. It's so sad...I had such high hopes for this scent, and I feel like it's just out of my grasp.

Conclusion: Well, it dries down to a musky, sweet, but musty/sensual & glorious scent. Unfortunately it took an hour or so for the honey to wear off. Just like "O" on me, sadly.

How could I not try this one rifgt away I mean it's got a lot of my favorite scents: musk, vanilla, cherry, honey, wine. So I got it as my only imp with my Hunter Moon order.

Blood Kiss would have been my scent, it should have with all the vanilla, honey and cherry. But sadly on me it was nothing vetiver, to the point of headache for me. So it’s off to a new home for that one and I’ll just have to try Blood or Hollywood Babylon next.

Because it would have been perfect if it weren't for the vetiver. :P Maybe Beth will come out with a scent that's Mush, Vanilla, Honey and Cherry. But until there I have to start away from Blood Kiss.

blood kiss was pure vetiver when i first opened up the imp. sniffing it a couple of hours later, i smell vetiver along with poppy and something sickly sweet. i think it may be the honey. the vetiver makes this seem like a very rough scent, but underneath the roughness is an underlying smooth sensuality. this smells the way sex feels. unbridled, passionate sex; this reminds me of the way i feel when i'm submissive in the bedroom, but i know full well (as does my partner) who really has control.

on my skin, the vetiver retains its roughness, but a creamy, sweet cherry gradually emerges from underneath. tiny traces of wine are wafting up, but when i put my nose to the skin, i can't smell it.

this is actually leaving me feeling, well, really buzzed. a minute ago, the part of my skin i put it on started to warm up a bit and the skin started tingling. it was a bizarre reaction as i've never had that happen to me. my heart's pounding now, and i'm warm everywhere. :P i love this!

In the Bottle: It's a musky cherry/vanilla thing. I almost thought there was almonds in here for a second. It's got a nice woody quality, too. It's very dark and deep. It smells like a sensual massage oil that you'd slather over your favoritest person :P It's a smell that demands to be noticed.

Wet: Woody vanilla. Egads, this is woody on me. I'm starting to get the cherry and wine, with a hint of something really sweet. Must be the honey (please, honey, don't go powdery on me this time!!!). It sort of smells a little bit like Hollywood Babylon on me. And HB is always a pleaser *innocent look*. This smells like HB's more "worldly" sister. She's been around the block a few times and knows the quickest way to get the man or woman that she's after.

Dry (1 hour): Well, the honey's gone a lot powdery. It's a woody powder, tinted with a bit of vanilla and cherry wine. I had really high hopes for this on me. Oddly enough, it smells different on my wrists than on my neck. But since I tend to wear my oils all over, I'm going to have to give this one a pass on wearing.

Dry (3 hours): Hrm, how interesting. Over the last few hours, I've noticed less and less of a "wretching powdery" smell and more honey... and vanilla... and muskiness...and wine. EGADS?! Has something actually beaten down the powdery smell and is allowing me to smell the actual oil again?!?! :D If honey goes bad on you like it normally does on me, and you can stand the powdery hour or so, this might be a good one for you. It's still a little powdery, but I'm smelling more of the other notes and less of the hideous powder than I was before.

Overall: I don't think this is one I'm likely to wear again. I'd hate to have to go through that powder phase each time I touched up. And I still catch whiffs of powder instead of the goodness that is this oil when it's wet. I think I'll try the imp in a simmer pot, but after that, it's off to the swap pile.

I immediately liked the scent description for Blood Kiss for the vanilla, honey, clove, and cherries. It made me think of a poor man's Formula 54. :P I expected to love this scent, and did while it was wet. It seems that I'm only getting vetiver and musk now that it's dry though. I'll give it another try because the description sounds too good to give it up so soon.

I really expected to love this - I adore cloves, vanilla and dragon's blood, so this should have been a winner for me. And when wet, it did have a beautiful sweet spicy smell, that reminded me of some of the sweeter Lush bath ballistics (when you stand next to the display in the shop and you're overwhelmed by all the fizzy goodness). But alas, as it always does for me, the wine came out to play, and just dominated the rest of the notes. My wrist smelled like hangover mouth, and all the sweetness turned rather sickly. Off to the swap pile... :P

On me, blood kiss is all dragon's blood. a slight spiciness below, and an even slighter hint of vetiver. It's nice, but I'm beginning to think that dragon's blood is one of those things that just takes over on me.

Oh well, off to the potential swaps pile.

YUM!

This is sooooo good! I was worried that I wouldn't like the cherry. But it's a sweet, juicy cherry smell that doesn't have that sticky amaretto smell to it. It's so yummy. I can't get over how delicious and creamy and good this one is! It makes a delicious lotion scent!

Must have big bottle!! :P

in the bottle: very tart & sweet at the same time... cherries. something sort of musky in the background.

wet: more cherries. kind of like cherry cough syrup or those luden's drops. there's a woody sort of backdrop. changing rapidly.

drying: the clove is starting to come out, but not heavy & oppressive-like. it's mingling into a sweet scent, but not cloying. cherry-clove candy, maybe a very faint, slight hint of something like sandalwood or something slightly smokey. :P

later: musky honey. still a hint of clove & cherry, but not quite as prominent. they've moved into the way far backseat. there's an odd top note I can't place, possibly the poppies?

more different later: it's settling down into a powdery musky-poppy scent which smells almost soapy. very vague wine bottom note.

i'm not sure i like the drydown. i LOVE the juicy cherry-clove i got initially, but the scent it morphed into is just eh in comparison. :D

Damn you, Diabolique, why don't I smell like submissive sex like you promised? :P Blood Kiss slithered out of the imp as a thick cloud of honey-vanilla-cherry that made everyone in the room go "Whew, that's sweet!" Immediately the vetiver took over and this now smells much more masculine, in a sour-cherry sort of way. The notes have becme jumbled up and indistinct, so that I'm no longer sure if I like it or not. I think I might layer this with O to bring out more of the notes I love, the honey and vanilla. They seem to be drowning under vetiver at the moment...

Another new immediate favorite. It goes on smelling like O with a tinge of dragon's blood; then as it dries, the vetiver and cherry come to the fore and the honey recedes. After about an hour, it smells like a perfect blend of Dragon's Milk and O. Lovely.

Oh, this ALMOST worked for me, almost...

I am in agreement that this is reminiscent of Formula 54, which I love. Fortunately I have plenty of it, because Blood Kiss is not a replacement. It wants to be... it's clove-y and sexy and lovely.

Except for the vetiver.

Vetiver just does not work on me, and up until now I didn't really care... now I wish it did.

:P The vetiver ruined Blood Kiss for me too. I was so anxious to try this, all the notes except the vetiver really appeal to me. I was hoping it would be like another favorite of mine, Voodoo, that has vetiver, but just a touch. At first I got a strong hit of honey and was in heaven, but within a few minutes, the vetiver reared it's head and just kept getting stronger and stronger. I did get the lovely cherry/vanilla aroma but the vetiver was overpowering on me.

Do I keep it? Do I not keep it? Spicey, rich, warm. This starts off as cherries, fruity rich and robust and quickly fades into cloves and vanilla, rich and warm and spicey and then morphs into this lovely honey and amber concoction reminiscent of O. I was going to pass this on despite it being gorgeous because I thought one of my New York boys would adore it. However I'm thinking I need to get some for myself as it's rather like wearing Morocco and O in order and is just a rather stunning experiance.

I have to start by saying that I should have taken heed of clover's review rather than swapping her for Blood Kiss.

In the bottle: A delicious blend of wine and cloves with a hint of sweet berry.

On my skin:: It is absolutely scrumptious. I love berries. I love cloves. And I love wine . . . they blend together phenomenally with me catching a stronger whiff of each note at different moments.

But wait . . . it is starting to smell powdery. Something isn't right. It's Play-Doh!!!

I check on the ingredients to find that "honeyed kiss" is not a metaphor.

Darn it!

All of the beautiful notes that I love disappeared into a vortex of clay summoned by the evil honey.

*sigh*