Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
SadariEvenstar

Jibiki Danuki

Casting a fishing net.

Purple sage and oakmoss with black and white musks.

This is easily my favorite of the Tanukis I have tried. That being said it is also the hardest for me to describe. The black musk is beautiful and very like the black musk in Playful Wooden Mallets. Overall the scent is gentle and very pretty. My husband loves it on me and he's usually fairly ambivalent about scents.

This has no lilac in it, but in the bottle it almost smells like it does. Also soapy in the bottle. On me, it almost smelled good, but quickly went from "pleasant but boring" to "soap, soap, and more soap", followed by dusty florals. Not a fan.

This has a oakmossy smoothness that made me almost not test it, but then something lured me in - and then my first instinct proved to have been right. The smoothness reminds me of sandalwood; the sage is nice, and definitively purple, but I only kind of like it up close and don't like the vaguely furry, light brown, kind of masculine throw at all. There's a spiciness in the musks that makes me think this must smell amazing on the right person. The fuzzy-smoothness reminds me (in feel, if that makes any sense) of Ivanushka and blends that have brown musks or furry notes; they sort of just ping me in the wrong place.

This is mostly a soft black musk that reminds me of Playful Wooden Mallets, with a sort of powdery, soapy, green aspect to it too. Pleasant and inoffensive, very much a clean, close-to-skin scent on me.

In decant: sage, oakmoss, and musks. Definitely masculine, but there's an unexpected sweetness here.

Wet on skin: a simple, almost straightforward blend, but definitely lovely. Slightly understated herbs and lovely musks, and inching away from "masculine" and move more into "gender neutral" category. It's difficult to describe the blend. The sweetness is still there. I'd say it's musks and herbs.

Dry: VERY unexpected. I actually really like this. This stays close to my skin, the sweetness is very pleasant and keeps this from being heavy. I remember thinking while signing up for decants that this blend seemed to not be on anyone's radar, but I think a lot will like it. I definitely do, although it really is rather quick to disappear.

Verdict: there is time yet, so I may continue to test this blend on and off and see if a bit of imp-aging will improve the staying power and the throw. Definitely take note of this blend, it's a bit of a surprise!

Revisited 21 May: I gave this another run today, a full-day in the office. Right off, throw is a lot better. I could catch whiffs of it on and off throughout the day, and 8/9 hours later, I can still catch a bit of it on me, a lovely, creamy, gentle sweetness. It's not even a month and it's aging like a champ! Definitely a keeper.

Edited by angelamaria

Yes, I smell the black musk from Playful Wooden Mallets as soon as I put this on my skin...

and then it's gone...

the oakmoss strangled it. :eek:

This wasn't much of a surprise because that is what oakmoss does on my skin...strangles everything. :(

5 min on my skin and it's all oakmoss and powder.

Half an hour in I start to smell the sage (which is lovely), but I can't deal with the oakmoss.

I knew better, but I HAD to give this one a try. :)

This was flat and uninspiring. There was black musk and flat sage and that's about it. :( So sad as I had high hopes for this one.

This is really pretty, I love black musk, and it combines so nicely with the white musk. It kind of reminds me of Psychological Horror, I think it's that one anyways, that's supposed to smell like a 70's type musk. Soft, musky, feminine, so far, the fave of the Tanuki's, I may have to track down some more...

My skin chemistry seems full of fail lately. This smells like baby powder, black vetiver and a whiff of perfumey-floral soap on me (why? I have no clue). Dries down super powdery on my skin.

Ooh this starts out really nice. Powdery black musk with hints of sage and oakmoss. I'm getting a bit of a The Girl vibe from it.

However it dries down to powdery black musk with bugspray and sour oakmoss... :cry2: This could have been awesome but it does feel rather flat and unbalanced.

This is the third time I've tried Jibiki Danuki. I keep hoping for a different outcome because Jibiki Danuki is really nice wet.

i love me an oakmoss scent, and am quite fond of white musk, however this is pretty much straight up white musk on me, with a hint of sage, so it's kind of unremarkable. i don't get any black musk and the oakmoss is there, but it's subtle. it turns a bit powdery at the end. i like it, but i think i'll have to try it again later to see if it's a keeper.

Oakmoss and black musk. This one smells kinda salty, kinda earthy, kinda musky. Slightly masculine.

It's subtle, earthy and smooth.

Two words describe Jibiki Danuki for me.

Spicy and Soft.

The purple sage gives it the spicenss and the oakmoss gives it an earthyness. In the background the white and black musks makes it soft. Its very feminine on me.

Sadly, I have a decant of it. I think I need MOAR!!

5/5 for me.

In the imp: Pretty. Dark, herbal, almost floral. I think musks often tend to strike me as floral.

Wet on skin: More sharp and herbal on my skin. Still on the darker side, but it's not going too dark for me yet.

Dried down: Soft, very faint, pleasant muskiness

Throw: Just about none.

Verdict: *** 1/* This is nice on me, but nothing special, I'm afraid. Into the swap pile!